Would you give the job to Allegri right now?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Just one question do you believe given the right players is he capable of competing against current version of Liverpool and City or doing one better actually winning the league because I believe Conte is capable of doing it is Allegri in the same league.
At this point what we need is someone who maximise the full potential of the team while adding some good additions to the team to move forward. Allegri would do that.

Unlike Mou, Pep and conte who were born with a silver spoon stuck in their arse, allegri did the donkey work with clubs with various budget limitations. He even done fairly well with Milan under the dreadful Berlusconi era. The guy won't stick to his philosophy cause he doesn't have any. He will try to unleash the full potential of the squad.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

I haven't seen Juve much apart from few CL games, if his teams mostly play like they do in the CL then we can give him the job, it he is anything like "park the bus and hoof it long" Mourinho, then no.

Tel074

Name one team who have won consistently while not having any superstars. United have always bought the best British talent during the Fergie era.

The probability of us finishing the next Klopp is very slim, and we cannot afford to feck up the next season or two.

For every Mane or Roberston, there are so many players who have turned out to be bang average.

That's not what your OP stated . You said if we buy players from lower teams we will end up in that position which is nonsense . If you recruit well you can buy quality from these lower teams .

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He could be a good appointment but the club really needs to establish a plan mid and long term and develop a football style. Ideally you would want someone different than Allegri though as right now you need a manager able to develop a team and not someone you would hire to challenge with an already strong team, so maybe someone like Pochettino seems like the perfect fit or maybe trying to get Gallardo if you want a promising manager that is on the rise.

Judas

Open to offers
There's nothing long term or right about hiring Allergi. He's the opposite of what we should be about and looking for. I get people are desperate, but this would be so illogical.

GBBQ

No. It would be a signing of convenience which is the exact mistake we have been reliving over the past 7 years.

ILC

Few things bug me as much as the lazy Allegri-Mourinho comparison. Allegri is NOTHING like him.

If you're going to make a comparison with a former United manager it would be Ferguson. He is smart, amazing tactician, instinctive, sees a few games, days, weeks, months ahead. He is flexible and adaptable. Everyone who's been around him lauds him as an incredible man manager. He is calm, encouraging, great sense of humor. A teacher.

If you want more insight read this piece from the Players Tribune he wrote after CL final defeat in Cardiff: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/massimiliano-allegri-juventus-the-principal

Reactions: Penna

GBBQ

So who can you realistically get?
Honestly I don't know. I would place Allegri as being more in the Mourinho school of tactics than the Pep or Klopp school of tactics and I don;t think overly defensive football is going to help us catch up to City and liverpool.

LoneStar

That's not what your OP stated . You said if we buy players from lower teams we will end up in that position which is nonsense . If you recruit well you can buy quality from these lower teams .
Why would any quality players in the lower teams want to join us?? Unless we pay over the odds. There are 4-5 teams better than us at the moment.

This is not FIFA where you you buy young quality players who go on to become superstars/ very good players.

Post Fergie, look at our finish in the table. We are one or two years away from midtable status.

Lets just buy more average sqaud players who will be deadwood in the near future. And the cycle continues.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
yes... I wanted him before Ole got the job. I know he might not be the most exiting but first things first: get some wins and start climbing league

Nikelesh Reddy

Genuine question- how come people haven't been put off wanting Pochettino when Total are going backwards nearly as quickly as we are? Has he lost the dressing room there if so what hope does he have with ours contained the "virus?" Surely he isn't trying to force himself out? He was even able to make signings this summer if this was going to happen I expected it last season, also the Tottenham players seem to have the same mentality ours do.

I was all for him when we were looking for a manager last season though the lack of even a small cup such as the league cup, especially with the likes of Kane and Son at his disposable concerned me however now he comes with even more question marks.

While they couldn't defend very well and got lucky at times I liked the football Red Bull Salzburg were playing when they played Liverpool in the CL they were unlucky to lose that game however I dont know their usual style and I think their manager is quite new so not sure if he is ready yet
Don’t be quick to judge Pochettino....Just look at what happened to Klopp in his final season at Dortmund...Dortmund finished 7th and the bundesliga doesn’t have as many top teams as the PL....But because Klopp had built up a huge reputation because of what he did before at Dortmund,Liverpool ignored his disastrous final season.

Klopp at Dortmund and Pochettino at Spurs have got their teams to punch above their weight for years and years....It’s just inevitable that things will eventually come to a crushing end in such an environment.Dont judge Pochettino on this season,he’s a phenomenal manager and we would be very lucky to get him...

lsd

The Oracle
At this point what we need is someone who maximise the full potential of the team while adding some good additions to the team to move forward. Allegri would do that.

Unlike Mou, Pep and conte who were born with a silver spoon stuck in their arse, allegri did the donkey work with clubs with various budget limitations. He even done fairly well with Milan under the dreadful Berlusconi era. The guy won't stick to his philosophy cause he doesn't have any. He will try to unleash the full potential of the squad.

He won a one team league with a side Conte built . He has done nothing to suggest he could succeed at Utd

AlwaysRed66

There would be discontent within weeks with his tedious football. Fans have put up with 7 years of this tosh, are getting restless, & will no longer be willing to give someone like this multiple transfer windows to get their own players. On the other hand, if a manager came in to play a good attacking brand of football & had a plan, they would be treated far more sympathetic.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He won a one team league with a side Conte built . He has done nothing to suggest he could succeed at Utd
Conte built nothing. Marotta and paratici built the team, the same team conte ridiculed when he left (you can't eat in a 100 euro restaurant with 10 euros jibe).allegri simply took that team 1 game away from the treble

Seb burrow

I have to say no. As much as I hate this situation I don’t think any managerial change should happen. Unless we’re in serious danger come the end of the season.

We have to reassess the situation come the second half of the season once we’ve hopefully strengthened the squad somewhat with new recruits.

You know defensively this team has been pretty sound. We’ve not shipped many goals. we’re just craving some attackers. I just pray we can snap some talent up.

Last thing we need is to bring someone like allegri in to change our philosophy.

ryansgirl

Don’t be quick to judge Pochettino....Just look at what happened to Klopp in his final season at Dortmund...Dortmund finished 7th and the bundesliga doesn’t have as many top teams as the PL....But because Klopp had built up a huge reputation because of what he did before at Dortmund,Liverpool ignored his disastrous final season.

Klopp at Dortmund and Pochettino at Spurs have got their teams to punch above their weight for years and years....It’s just inevitable that things will eventually come to a crushing end in such an environment.Dont judge Pochettino on this season,he’s a phenomenal manager and we would be very lucky to get him...
Well, can you please give some detailed information about just why we should give him the time that an increasing number on the caf are reluctant to give Ole?

I'm not being snide - I'd like to hear about Pochettino's achievements given he has done little with Spurs except take them to an important final which Spurs lost. Not that this is a black mark as football games sometimes can go the way of the less dominant team, luck has a role etc. I am hearing that he should be given some years to re-build but when it is suggested that we do that precisely with Ole or at least give him two more transfer windows, some here get all snippy and derisive about the idea.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
How has dealt with a young squad before? Because that's what he'll have from now till end of season so not sure appointing him now would make any sense. We are not in the CL, barely hanging in the league, still in the cups, we just need that one bloody win to lift the pressure off us...

Tel074

Why would any quality players in the lower teams want to join us?? Unless we pay over the odds. There are 4-5 teams better than us at the moment.

This is not FIFA where you you buy young quality players who go on to become superstars/ very good players.

Post Fergie, look at our finish in the table. We are one or two years away from midtable status.

Lets just buy more average sqaud players who will be deadwood in the near future. And the cycle continues.
If you are seriously asking why quality players in lower teams would want to join Man United then you are either a yum or you need educated on the club I support

LoneStar

If you are seriously asking why quality players in lower teams would want to join Man United then you are either a yum or you need educated on the club I support
Cool I’ll choose to be yummy then

Nikelesh Reddy

Well, can you please give some detailed information about just why we should give him the time that an increasing number on the caf are reluctant to give Ole?

I'm not being snide - I'd like to hear about Pochettino's achievements given he has done little with Spurs except take them to an important final which Spurs lost. Not that this is a black mark as football games sometimes can go the way of the less dominant team, luck has a role etc. I am hearing that he should be given some years to re-build but when it is suggested that we do that precisely with Ole or at least give him two more transfer windows, some here get all snippy and derisive about the idea.
What Mauricio Pochettino has acheived at Tottenham is nothing short of a minor miracle.On a wafer thin budget for all these years to establish Spurs as a top 4 club,while playing a brand of attacking football,while promoting young British players throughout his squad and improving practically every member of his team is a phenomenal achievement.

It’s laughable and utterly idiotic to imply that he hasn’t achieved anything at Spurs....

Flying high

What Mauricio Pochettino has acheived at Tottenham is nothing short of a minor miracle.On a wafer thin budget for all these years to establish Spurs as a top 4 club,while playing a brand of attacking football,while promoting young British players throughout his squad and improving practically every member of his team is a phenomenal achievement.

It’s laughable and utterly idiotic to imply that he hasn’t achieved anything at Spurs....
So let's get him in to choose us a new set of players.

Then get another new manager to win us some trophies.

CallyRed

Ac Milan have just sacked their manager so they may go for Allegri

humdinger

While he obviously has a pedigree and understands the pressure of a big club, I’d be disappointed if we appointed Allegri to be honest. His Juve team were pretty uninspiring and I’m hoping we go for someone who will encourage exciting football.

wolvored

Not for me. Brendon Rodgers might be able to make a fist of it, some have even mentioned Eddie Howe. Either would have us playing better football.

ILC

SAF goals per game: 1.85
"Defensive" manager Allegri at Juventus: 1.93
"Defensive" manager Allegri at Milan: 1.81 (only had Ibra for 2/4 seasons)
"Offensive" manager Pochettino at Tottenham: 1.90

The only truly good truly attacking managers right now are Klopp and Pep. And Pep is the only one who kept the goal average above 2 throughout his career. Everyone and everything else depends on their situation.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

The only truly good truly attacking managers right now are Klopp and Pep. And Pep is the only one who kept the goal average above 2 throughout his career. Everyone and everything else depends on their situation.
Pep has never not managed the strongest team in the league either.

HowYouDoin

Yes if not for his english. How do you expect to manage a team in the premier league if you don't speak the language? What kind of rapport and connection can you develop with players if you can't communicate with them?

I had the same reservation about Zidane though less so cuz Zidane is the legend of the game and the respect is there regardless of what language he speaks. Allegri doesn't have that.

So all in all, definitely sold on him as a manager. But cuz of the language barrier, Imma have to go with naaaaah on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Pawelek

Why not bring in Domenico Tedesco as head coach until the end of the season? Stick with him if he's successful. At least the tactics will be attacking.

I believe he's immediately available.

flappyjay

Can't we wait for a manager renown for their attacking philosophy instead. Allegri whilst a good manager stull feels like all the managers we have had so far.

ILC

Pep has never not managed the strongest team in the league either.
Of course he hasn't. He's one of the greatest managers ever. He manages great teams. Well he made Barca the strongest team. Bayern was already there. City probably was but it was close between them and a few others. He made them what they are today.

It really baffles me to no end how many people find every single little thing wrong with successful managers from strength of their team to playing style. Yet new hipster managers are the way to go. Do people actually think it's easier to manager Juve than Tottenham? Leipzig? Ajax? Monchengladbach?

Pressure, expectations, amount of work and level of games and opponents - it's not even close. Put Allegri, Mourinho, Conte, Klopp, Pep at any of those clubs and they'd still be hugely successful. OTOH there's tons of examples of sexy new managers failing under the weight of expectations at big clubs. That's why it's so funny to me when people say 'It's easy to win with Juve'. feck all it is.

Halal Jalal

Don't let the facts get in the way of Caf's expert opinions, such as Italian = defensive. We need someone hungry and local like Howe (Moyes 2.0). Or maybe the next Klopp like one of those trendy Bundesliga managers who have achieved nothing in their careers so far (even though Klopp himself already had won titles and reached CL final before Liverpool hired him).

In Rainbows

Hope you realize that many of us complained about how boring we were under SAF btw. We put up with it because Fergie was there for decades winning us many titles. We don't have to put up with defensive football under a new manager who has no relation to United like Fergie did.

Last edited:

dev1l

Allegri s stats are based on Serie A games where difference between top and bottom teams is huge

Denis' cuff

No. What's the point in buying Lemsip when you've got a terminal disease?

Exactly.

The shortsightedness on here is mind boggling. You’d get “new manager bounce” again until EW starts to dance to the Glazers tune and interfering. Get these feckers out and then we can start looking at managers.