Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

He should have changed formation to get rid of Lingard and Andreas, and accommodate Matic. This was in fact a gripe quite a few, including myself, had with him. If he hadn't snagged Bruno we'd still have been suffering those two until now.

It makes no sense to shoehorn your worst players into key areas of a formation, resulting in a net negative to the team.
You can't just change formation and expect it to work, real life isn't FM. Last time he did that and played a diamond, we looked like shite. I agree that it doesn't make sense putting square pegs into round holes, which is what we've been doing because we've had an unbalanced squad for years. He's finally starting to fix that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's amazing how people post wrong information, then keeps repeating it even after being proven wrong.

Lingard and Pereira were never ahead of Matic for CM role. It was always Pogba and McTominay, when Pogba got injured, Matic was played and then Fred got chance.

lysglimt

Scout
:) touche. You're still one of my favourite posters on here, even though we see things differently.
Unlike a few others I disagree with - his arguments are based on intelligence rather than some stupid "OGS is incompetent logic" - so I agree with you. He adds something to this debate. You both do. Been defending OGS since the start and there are quite a few I have put on ignore simply because I can't stand to read their brainless logic (or lack of)

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's amazing how people post wrong information, then keeps repeating it even after being proven wrong.

Lingard and Pereira were never ahead of Matic for CM role. It was always Pogba and McTominay, when Pogba got injured, Matic was played and then Fred got chance.
It's not that had to understand is it? We could have easily played Matic Mctominay Pogba midfield you know like we did last season when we had the Matic Herrera and Pogba midfield

troylocker

Eh, what? What have Pereira and Lingard got to do with Matic? Matic was not frozen out. After a pretty bad end of last season, and without shining in preseason either, he became 3rd choice as a DM after Pogba and McTominay. So, yes, in a way Matic had to step aside for the youth, or McTominay, to be precise. Fred was 4th choice. Was he frozen out as well? Matic got to play when Pogba got injured, and before Matic got injured himself, he played through United´s worst periode this season, and Matic was crap.

What´s your point really?
Matic was not frozen out. We started out playing Pogba and McTom, using Fred and Matic in rotation for the CM spots. Injury to Pogba, Fred stepping up his game and Matic having an absolute shocker against West Ham lead to Fred grabbing the spot next to McTom and Matic being last in the picking order for a while. He also picked up a couple of minor injuries during the months he wasn't played and Pereira had to step in playing CM (while Pogba, McTom and Matic were all injured), showing that he clearly wasn't up for that task against SU and AV. I'm very happy that Matic upped his game again when he was given the chance with McToms january injury.
He's been excellent ever since.

Cred to Ole for making the most out of what he's got at his disposal. The future definitely looks more promising than what it did just 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Unlike a few others I disagree with - his arguments are based on intelligence rather than some stupid "OGS is incompetent logic" - so I agree with you. He adds something to this debate. You both do. Been defending OGS since the start and there are quite a few I have put on ignore simply because I can't stand to read their brainless logic (or lack of)
I wouldnt go that far. Seriously though, yes I'm also starting to grow my ignore list.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not that had to understand is it? We could have easily played Matic Mctominay Pogba midfield you know like we did last season when we had the Matic Herrera and Pogba midfield
Why? What if Ole wanted to play 4-2-3-1, why should he change to 4-3-3 just to play Matic, lets be honest here we are not talking about some world class player being left out, so that coach should change his formation to accommodate one player.

I like 4-3-3 instead of 4-2-3-1 but that doesn't mean Ole should be criticized for playing 4-2-3-1 and playing McTominay, Pogba ahead of Matic.

He'sRaldo

You can't just change formation and expect it to work, real life isn't FM. Last time he did that and played a diamond, we looked like shite. I agree that it doesn't make sense putting square pegs into round holes, which is what we've been doing because we've had an unbalanced squad for years. He's finally starting to fix that.
I disagree. I think it's hard to change playing style on the fly, yes. But formation is easier, especially if it is something that works naturally with the players. If you think back to Conte's first Chelsea season, he tried and struggled with the 4-2-3-1, and was under a lot of pressure until he switched it up to his 3-4-3, won a then-record number of consecutive games, and emphatically won the title. It can definitely be done outside of FM.

Pogba and Scott are 2 very good box to box midfielders, and Matic is a good DM. I don't see how playing the 3 of them in a 4-3-3 is shoehorning anything, especially when Fred is also a very good box to box mid, while Lingard and Andreas are poor attacking mids. To me it just makes sense to do so, and IMO we've looked our best in 4-3-3 type formations like the diamond with split strikers, or the 4-3-3 in the winning run.

To be honest, I think that the introduction of Bruno is the only thing that makes Ole persisting with that formation have some semblance of sense, and even then I'm still not convinced that it will last. That's why some would argue the boost we're seeing right now is the Bruno effect as opposed to the Ole effect.

M16Red

That we’d have have won more than 2 in 9 if we’d started the season with Mctom, Matic & Pogba in midfield.

I think it’s been proven beyond any reasonable döubt that United - Jesse/Andreas = miles better. Ole’s worked it out even if dve hasn’t.
You think we would have won more, surely.? Pogba got injured or was off on a madden so that did not happen.

I think they are both (Jesse/Andreas) not upto it, but we needed a advance midfielder and Matic isn't or doesn't strike me as one. Anyway that is over with now lets hope we can fit the Pog back into this team.

We started the season with hardly any good-ish midfielders now we have Fred, Matic, Mctom, Bruno, Pog, Mata......Jesse and Andreas. The last two shouldn't be even on the bench.

tonnas

Now its too late for any sack imo, so ideally we wait for the end of the season and see who is available, We should NOT pass the opportunity if Rose or Nagelsmann are available.

lysglimt

Scout
I wouldnt go that far. Seriously though, yes I'm also starting to grow my ignore list.
I have a feeling our lists are fairly identical. The only sad thing is - some of them are so dumb it is painful to miss out on some of the "best" comments :)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I have a feeling our lists are fairly identical. The only sad thing is - some of them are so dumb it is painful to miss out on some of the "best" comments :)
Yep. I wouldnt ever use the ignore function generally and only recently started doing it, but for the few that are never anything other than super-critical I just got tired of reading it. (I wonder which number is bigger - who I am ignoring vs who is ignoring me ;))

James Ward

No Lingard or Andreas in the starting 11 against Lask. Wow!

Ole has had enough. Delighted he is showing ruthlessness.

I admire him for this.

msra5kg2

Ighalo Woahhh, Ighalo woahhh,
Came from Nigeria
And he’ll f*cking murder ya

el3mel

Are we really turning a corner this time ? We have been mostly great ever since Bruno's signing. Looks like a completely different team with different mindset now.

Long may it continue. If keep this up (well unless they cancel the rest of the season thanks to Coronavirus) I won't mind for Ole to stay for another season and will happily rethink my opinion on him as a coach. The current form has been just that great.

Cliche Guevara

Now its too late for any sack imo, so ideally we wait for the end of the season and see who is available, We should NOT pass the opportunity if Rose or Nagelsmann are available.
Oh piss off with this hipster shite. Both have achieved nothing in a nothing league. It’s pathetic.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Progress is becoming visible now. Our defense is getting solid. Our pressing is now effective. Our link up play is much better. Off the ball movement has improved. More forward passes and risk taking. Players don't get tired at 60th minute again and lastly, we've stopped getting complacent after scoring. Some of these has happened since while others have happened when Bruno came in

Chinchy98

I think the question should be, will this up turn in form last (or can you see it lasting) or will we see a reversion to the mean? If you think the latter surely you must believe that a change will be needed to be made in the long run as counter intuitive as that may feel as we are in our best form since his initial run of results.

Davìd Moyéz

Who are the 580 fans that think Solskjaer should be sacked now?! If he was sacked tomorrow you'd all genuinely think that was the right decision?

imamuppet

Sack him, sack him now.

He has no clue in what he is doing.

Its all luck and good fortune.

Failed manager who relegated Cardiff, dont you know?

You have to trust me I know so much about football

:lol: :lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think the question should be, will this up turn in form last (or can you see it lasting) or will we see a reversion to the mean? If you think the latter surely you must believe that a change will be needed to be made in the long run as counter intuitive as that may feel as we are in our best form since his initial run of results.
Somewhere in the middle of course. We wont keep on keeping clean sheets and we will lose matches. I think what this run has done is prove:

• The team are improving
  • We have a lot of potential
  • The manager and his staff arent half as bad as lots were thinking
That's all for now. There are still am awful lot of posts that call for a sacking if we dont make the CL. Personally I think that would be insanity but I'm 99% sure it wont happen so it's a moot point

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We've been making really good progress since January.

Bruno has just completely changed the mood and our performance levels. Many of us always said let's see what Ole can do with a better standard of player, and that's proving to be correct so far.

Right now if we can continue this i'd be more than happy to see how he fares next year with even more players.

If we can have a decent summer and get 2-3 of our top targets, with this current confidence I think we've got a great chance to really challenge.

Let's not forget we're doing this 2 of our best players in Pogba and Rashford.

Now is the time to get fully behind the club.

Chinchy98

Somewhere in the middle of course. We wont keep on keeping clean sheets and we will lose matches. I think what this run has done is prove:

• The team are improving
  • We have a lot of potential
  • The manager and his staff arent half as bad as lots were thinking
That's all for now. There are still am awful lot of posts that call for a sacking if we dont make the CL. Personally I think that would be insanity but I'm 99% sure it wont happen so it's a moot point
Behavioural science have theories on a "peak-end rule" - where an agent will asses a past event based on the peak emotion experienced. Eg, last minute winner even though the team played dreadfully will correlate with a perceived better performance. Conversely a good performance can be assesed as poor one if we concede a last minute goal to lose or draw. I am wary of extrapolating the euphoria of the City result accross the whole season, much like we did with Sevilla and Jose, and coming to an incorrect conclusion.

The season as a collective has not been good enough, yes we can point to the uplift in form post Fernandes, but we still underperformed given our squad up until January. Ole has bought himself a lot of time considering I was convinced he was a dead man walking 6/7 weeks ago. But I am yet to be convinced he will lead us to our next period of sustained success at the elite level of football - he is in a position where he once again has the chance to prove he can be.

Seven Seas Sardines

Let Ole finish the season and have input on future player acquisitions, but somehow manage to grab Nagelsmann before someone else does. Surely he'd be extra motivated to beat Klopp and become the biggest German manager in the world, and who better with than their biggest rivals?

crossy1686

career ending
Yes we should. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest they would improve Manchester United.

Marzo

Let Ole finish the season and have input on future player acquisitions, but somehow manage to grab Nagelsmann before someone else does. Surely he'd be extra motivated to beat Klopp and become the biggest German manager in the world, and who better with than their biggest rivals?
No, Nagelsmann said soccer in his post match Interview......TWICE !

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Behavioural science have theories on a "peak-end rule" - where an agent will asses a past event based on the peak emotion experienced. Eg, last minute winner even though the team played dreadfully will correlate with a perceived better performance. Conversely a good performance can be assesed as poor one if we concede a last minute goal to lose or draw. I am wary of extrapolating the euphoria of the City result accross the whole season, much like we did with Sevilla and Jose, and coming to an incorrect conclusion.

The season as a collective has not been good enough, yes we can point to the uplift in form post Fernandes, but we still underperformed given our squad up until January. Ole has bought himself a lot of time considering I was convinced he was a dead man walking 6/7 weeks ago. But I am yet to be convinced he will lead us to our next period of sustained success at the elite level of football - he is in a position where he once again has the chance to prove he can be.
Yep good post and I dont disagree with most of that, though I dont agree that we have under-performed this season based on the squad. I've been staunchly Ole in all season because I think he was exactly what the club needed for where we were at. We are still very much in phase 1 and I'm delighted with how quickly he has gotten us to this point.

Obviously though he and any United manager has to keep on proving their worth. It's one of the hardest jobs in football. We have to be very careful and, crucially, fair with what our expectations are of him though.

lysglimt

Scout
After 8 wins and 3 Draws in the last 11 games - still almost 60% in this poll think he should be sacked after this season.

Davìd Moyéz

I've never understood why people think that just because a manager is doing well somewhere it is inevitable that they will improve every other side. Signing a manager isn't like signing a player, it's not like upgrading Pereira to Fernandes. If you get a new manager and they don't work out you can't just drop them, you'll probably waste at least 2 years in implementing their style, building the squad that they want and then having to undo it all again afterwards.

Seems like madness that so many people seem to want a new manager when we're clearly on an upward trajectory and only a year into a new project. Players are all happy, deadwood nearly all gone, young hungry squad, manager that defends his players and has brought much needed positivity into the club. I haven't seen a single compelling reason to sack the manager and yet more than half of people seem to think that's the way forward. Very confusing.

ReddBalls

I've never understood why people think that just because a manager is doing well somewhere it is inevitable that they will improve every other side. Signing a manager isn't like signing a player, it's not like upgrading Pereira to Fernandes. If you get a new manager and they don't work out you can't just drop them, you'll probably waste at least 2 years in implementing their style, building the squad that they want and then having to undo it all again afterwards.

Seems like madness that so many people seem to want a new manager when we're clearly on an upward trajectory and only a year into a new project. Players are all happy, deadwood nearly all gone, young hungry squad, manager that defends his players and has brought much needed positivity into the club. I haven't seen a single compelling reason to sack the manager and yet more than half of people seem to think that's the way forward. Very confusing.
The only way to improve your team in FIFA and FM is to change personell.

Mainoldo

Once again lads. Let’s not get carried away like it’s PSG all over again. I still believe this guy doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing. He for one needs to get Mike Phelan in check.. you would think he was the manager.

Lee565

I have one slight concern, this form could be history repeating itself from last season when Ole went on a great winning streak but then went to the other extreme of displaying relegation form, so I am still wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.