Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Total voters

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think the signs are obviously there that ole is starting to turn things around. In addition since Bruno there is more belief and optimism in the squad. He has to be given more time and backed fully

Alabaster Codify7

I think the signs are obviously there that ole is starting to turn things around. In addition since Bruno there is more belief and optimism in the squad. He has to be given more time and backed fully

But what happens if Bruno is injured? Suddenly the picture looks a lot less bright.

Nikelesh Reddy

Right from the start of the season,I”ve always maintained that he should be given time until the end of the season.If the seasons ends today,then I can’t see how Ole can be sacked.Despite no CL football,despite the availability of Pochettino,Ole cannot be sacked after the run that the teams had recently....

Class of 63

Still living next door to Alice ... in Wonderland!
Right from the start of the season,I”ve always maintained that he should be given time until the end of the season.If the seasons ends today,then I can’t see how Ole can be sacked.Despite no CL football,despite the availability of Pochettino,Ole cannot be sacked after the run that the teams had recently....
Dave Sexton probably thought the same in 1981 when he won the last seven League games of the season including wins at Everton and Liverpool.

POF

It's absolutely shocking to me that over 50% of those polled still want him out.

Since Ole took over, the squad was gutted with many of the top earners and marquee players being shipped out in order to build a better culture. He has signed four players permanently and one on loan and all have made a major positive impact.

The summer window left the squad criminally thin and it's clear that he was relying on signing Bruno in the summer and wasn't able to replace Lukaku as he wanted. He was slated relentlessly for the performances when he simply did not have the quality in the squad.

He kept true to his plan, built the culture and stuck to a formation where Bruno could drop straight in. Now, he's got the 2 players he should have got in the summer and what has happened?

It's still a really young squad and there will be more inconsistent runs in the future, but the positivity around the club now is amazing considering the size of the rebuild undertaken. The atmosphere and togetherness of the group is at a level I haven't seen since Fergie.

He's doing an amazing job and deserves the opportunity to have a proper run of games with a squad where one injury to a forward doesn't leave him with an attack that wouldn't look out of place in the bottom half.

Hambley

Well, what can we fans really base our opinion on, other than results.

It's a results business :confused:

Of course people will change their minds if they see evidence that the manager can get consistent performances out of the team.

If the team then went on a bad run in the remaining 11 or 12 games, or whatever it is with Europa, and United finished 8 or 9th people would be calling for his head again and rightly so.

Not really - it's been sat at around 50% Ole out for months with just small moves, it's been a major change in last few weeks.
All I mean is that if the team will loose the remaining fixtures the first option of the poll would rise up again. Such a reckless thing to make a deep conclusion about the team's development right now considering we had an excellent run of results under previous managers and struggled to build a monumentum on that. However, the season seems to be over due to the virus.

Last edited:

Leftback99

It's absolutely shocking to me that over 50% of those polled still want him out.

Since Ole took over, the squad was gutted with many of the top earners and marquee players being shipped out in order to build a better culture. He has signed four players permanently and one on loan and all have made a major positive impact.

The summer window left the squad criminally thin and it's clear that he was relying on signing Bruno in the summer and wasn't able to replace Lukaku as he wanted. He was slated relentlessly for the performances when he simply did not have the quality in the squad.

He kept true to his plan, built the culture and stuck to a formation where Bruno could drop straight in. Now, he's got the 2 players he should have got in the summer and what has happened?

It's still a really young squad and there will be more inconsistent runs in the future, but the positivity around the club now is amazing considering the size of the rebuild undertaken. The atmosphere and togetherness of the group is at a level I haven't seen since Fergie.

He's doing an amazing job and deserves the opportunity to have a proper run of games with a squad where one injury to a forward doesn't leave him with an attack that wouldn't look out of place in the bottom half.
The poll and this thread has always been heavily biased towards those that want him out. They are the ones shouting loudest and don't want to back down from the nonsense they've been spouting like "worst manager in the league". To many there isn't even a decision to make, never mind vote on.

Zen86

All I mean is that if the team will loose the remaining fixtures the first option of the poll would rise up again. Such a reckless thing to make a deep conclusion about the team's development right now considering we had an excellent run of results under previous managers and struggled to build a monumentum on that. However, the season seems to be over due to the virus.
What we’ve seen this season is in no way comparable to Moyes, Van Gaal or Mourinho.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Ole likes to live on the edge during these challenging times.

I’d have given this fan the full ‘two metres, motherfecker!’ treatment.

lysglimt

Dave Sexton probably thought the same in 1981 when he won the last seven League games of the season including wins at Everton and Liverpool.
Well there are a few minor differences.

While The Doc was really popular for the football United played - Sexton certainly wasn't. And during that season - we had experienced a season where:

a) We had scored more than 2 goals only 5 times
b) We had not scored a goal 14 times
c) We had been through a patch with 2 wins, 2 draws and 7 defeats

On top of Everything we had an aging side - most of our keyplayers were around 30 - Jordan was Close to 30, Macari was 31, McQueen was 29 and McIlroy was 28 I think

Birtles was a giant flop

So things weren't looking too bright for United in may 1981.

Lj82

It honestly staggers me that some people can't or won't see the progress that has been made since Ole took over. Whether or not we will see real success under Ole remains to be seen in an ultra competitive league and CL, but for me we are clearly going the right direction to facilitate that, and he absolutely deserves more time. Win lose or draw I feel like we are a team all pulling happily and willingly in the same direction, and growing as a group. That include Ole himself and his staff, who will obviously be gaining vital experience as well as the players. It may be that in a year or two's time we have to get someone else in to take us to the next level if this management/player group reaches it's ceiling, but in the meantime, I enjoy watching and supporting United again, and isn't that what it's ultimately all about?
Excellent post. Totally agree with what you wrote here.
Like you, I'm not sure Ole will eventually deliver the real success, but it is pretty obvious that he is guiding the club in the right direction. His signings have been for the long term rather than short term fixes. Unlike Jose who left Ole a massive task to rebuild the team, when Ole does leave, he would have laid a solid foundation for whoever takes over to succeed.

Rightnr

Why does a little bit of optimism concern you? Isnt it better than the bloodbath this forum has been for the last 6 months?
What concerns is the fact we still lack a style of play and without players' individual brilliance, we'd be right where we were at the beginning of the season.

This nice vein of form feels a bit like when Ole first came in which got him hired and then we immediately started underperforming.

All in all, I am just unconvinced we've made strides beyond buying better players. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Old Ma Crow

It honestly staggers me that some people can't or won't see the progress that has been made since Ole took over. Whether or not we will see real success under Ole remains to be seen in an ultra competitive league and CL, but for me we are clearly going the right direction to facilitate that, and he absolutely deserves more time. Win lose or draw I feel like we are a team all pulling happily and willingly in the same direction, and growing as a group. That include Ole himself and his staff, who will obviously be gaining vital experience as well as the players. It may be that in a year or two's time we have to get someone else in to take us to the next level if this management/player group reaches it's ceiling, but in the meantime, I enjoy watching and supporting United again, and isn't that what it's ultimately all about?
Very good post.

jamesjimmybyrondean

What concerns is the fact we still lack a style of play and without players' individual brilliance, we'd be right where we were at the beginning of the season.

This nice vein of form feels a bit like when Ole first came in which got him hired and then we immediately started underperforming.

All in all, I am just unconvinced we've made strides beyond buying better players. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.
Personally I think our style of play is that in the tough games we play counter attack. We also do individual pressing. In games where we dominate like the past few games I think our style of play is basically just fluid movement and being direct.

We don't play in triangles or hectagons or whatever we just play direct football with lots of movement. So if we lack motivation to to make fluid movement like Shaw previously not overlapping for some reason or Martial always coming to the left etc. We will be shit. If the quality of our players are shit eg. Lingard/Pereira we're also going to be shit because you'd need quality players eg Bruno to capitalize on our movement. We just play direct football and fluid movement which is a style of play really. I remember Ole also talking about fluid movement alot and we've finally started doing it consistently in the past few games.

RedMilo

I dont know what people are expecting. Yes OGS is inexperienced at this level but so is everyone at some point in their career.

Look at Pep @ Barca or Zidane @ Madrid, as examples of manager having no big job experience before they were succesful.

Its about the developing the right culture at the club. You have to say he has got it spot on so far in the transfer market. He clearly knows what a Utd players looks like and is doing his checks on the players mentality / principals the same as Fergie did before bringing them into the club, rather than this Fantasy Football bollocks overseen by Woodward.

You actually see players enjoying their football and wanting to play for the club. He is definitely got us heading in right direction and its a shame the season has been suspended when our run into the top 4 looked ominous, but the decision of course is completely understandable...

Those people not prepared to change their votes, are either not prepared to admit when they are wrong or cant see progress thats plain as day in front of their nose.

Zen86

Those people not prepared to change their votes, are either not prepared to admit when they are wrong or cant see progress thats plain as day in front of their nose.
There will undoubtedly be a correlation between voting Ole-out and having an unhealthy obsession with hipster managers, like Nagelsmann and Poch.

Dante

Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs
Solkjaer's plan has always been long term and iterative.

With this break in football, it only gives us a better chance to bring the players he needs.

RedPed

Wow, that 35% are going to be so butthurt come the start of the new season.

dove

I am still not sure about him. Many say we have made a big progress in the last 1-2 months or so and you might be right but on the other hand our improvement in form always coincides with having to play poorer opposition in cup competitions. We should be beating Tranmere, Brugge, Derby and LASK even without the manager. I don't see much improvement in our league form, we are good as always against good teams that leave us space to exploit but not good against the rest. I am okay with him being here next season as football is in a right mess now but I think it's way too early for "I told you Ole will be great here" stuff, to me there are still lots of question marks about his managerial qualities.

Dve

I didn´t say all that. When you quote someone, make sure that the content of your quote is actual.

I choose to believe this was an accident from your side.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I am still not sure about him. Many say we have made a big progress in the last 1-2 months or so and you might be right but on the other hand our improvement in form always coincides with having to play poorer opposition in cup competitions. We should be beating Tranmere, Brugge, Derby and LASK even without the manager. I don't see much improvement in our league form, we are good as always against good teams that leave us space to exploit but not good against the rest. I am okay with him being here next season as football is in a right mess now but I think it's way too early for "I told you Ole will be great here" stuff, to me there are still lots of question marks about his managerial qualities.
Yes but during that run we also beat City twice, beat Chelsea and drew with Wolves despite Matic’s absence and drew with Everton away which is a notoriously difficult fixture for us. The reason you’ve not seen a massive improvement in the league form is largely down to how few PL games we’ve played since we signed Fernandes. Also, yeah we are meant to be beating these lesser teams but these sort of teams who we’ve been pasting on this run are the same teams we’ve been dropping points to for years.

Hambley

I didn´t say all that. When you quote someone, make sure that the content of your quote is actual.

I choose to believe this was an accident from your side.
I know you didn't. It was me being quoted by 3 users so I tried to quote all of them and failed to do that separately in one post due to some editing error. Fixed it. :)

Class of 63

Still living next door to Alice ... in Wonderland!
Things are different after 4 years.
Well there are a few minor differences.

While The Doc was really popular for the football United played - Sexton certainly wasn't. And during that season - we had experienced a season where:

a) We had scored more than 2 goals only 5 times
b) We had not scored a goal 14 times
c) We had been through a patch with 2 wins, 2 draws and 7 defeats

On top of Everything we had an aging side - most of our keyplayers were around 30 - Jordan was Close to 30, Macari was 31, McQueen was 29 and McIlroy was 28 I think

Birtles was a giant flop

So things weren't looking too bright for United in may 1981.
I think the previous 3 3/4 seasons were taken into account too? :)
Yeah I know, Dave will have known his time was up as early as February, out of all the Cups, and next to no chance of UEFA Cup football the following season but it still felt wrong(at the time) to sack him off the back of seven straight wins at the end of the season. Quite possibly the only Manager, anywhere, ever, that has happened to.

lysglimt

I think the previous 3 3/4 seasons were taken into account too? :)
It was actually a miracle that Sexton lasted as long as he did. In Dochertys last season United played good, attacking football and we ended 6th with 47 Points in 42 matches (equivalent to 65 Points today) - and we also won the FA Cup. Leading scorers were Gordon Hill and Stuart Pearson both with 15 goals.

Despite spending close to a million pounds on Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen - the results didnt improve and despite Hill being by far Uniteds best player in the 77/78 season - Sexton sold him to Derby (managed by Tommy Docherty) for £250.000. A move that did not go down well with the United-fans. United ended 10th with 42 points

78/79 was another poor season. There were some highlights - Gordon McQueen was a giant at the back and even scored 6 goals. And young Andy Ritchie scored incredible 10 goals in 16 starts. But United lost the FA-cup Final, and ended 9th in the league while suffering some nasty defeats in the process. (0-3 defeats to Everton, Bolton and Liverpool and 1-5 to Birmingham)

In 79/80 almost everything fell into place for Sexton - the signing of Ray Wilkins was a masterpiece and his 2 Leeds United-signings were both brilliant. Jordan scored 13 goals and McQueen scored an incredible 9 goals. Bailey in goal, Nicholl at left back, McQueen and Buchan in central defense and Albiston on the right. Coppell, Wilkins, McIlroy, Thomas, Macari and Jordan. And United came within 2 points of winning the league. But yet again, the strength was the defense - not the attack. United only scored 65 goals in 42 matches.

1980/81 everything fell apart. The first mistake was signing Garry Birtles to score goals - he was partnered with Joe Jordan up front. Jordan scored 15 goals - Birtles got none. Macari scored 9 goals, McIlroy 5 and Coppell 6 - but apart from that no player scored more than 4 goals. Wilkins got injured and only played 11 matches. Nikola Jovanovic which Sexton signed for £300.000 to replace Martin Buchan suffered from chronic back pain and only played 19 games before going back to Yugoslavia. The 7 wins at the end prevented it from being a total disaster of a season, but 51 goals in 42 was a tragedy. And after 33 games that season, United had actually just scored 37 goals. Defensively we were still solid - but we couldn't win football games. After 22 matches - we had won 6, drawn 14 and lost 2

So another £1 million had been wasted on a striker who didnt score and a football invalid - the fans hated him and we played the worst attacking football for decades. So yeah - there were a lot of reasons why Sexton had to go.

Dr. StrangeHate

The poll and this thread has always been heavily biased towards those that want him out. They are the ones shouting loudest and don't want to back down from the nonsense they've been spouting like "worst manager in the league". To many there isn't even a decision to make, never mind vote on.
Is there any evidence for this?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yeah I know, Dave will have known his time was up as early as February, out of all the Cups, and next to no chance of UEFA Cup football the following season but it still felt wrong(at the time) to sack him off the back of seven straight wins at the end of the season. Quite possibly the only Manager, anywhere, ever, that has happened to.
Comparable to Van Gaal being sacked a couple of days after winning the FA Cup

Withnail

If they lost the remaining fixtures he would deserve to be sacked.

Dr. StrangeHate

Are they different?
Match going fans stand behind the manager no matter what. Moyes, Jose heck even LVG had support. Fans on the Caf don't have any such hangups (I don't mean this in a bad way). I don't think any side (Ole in or out) is louder. The poll just reflects the Caf's view.