Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Total voters

mancave bear

Why is the poll lacking the one option that makes this an actual poll? "Let Ole Finish the season, evaulate once its completed". Remove the middle option and replace it with this. Now you have 1 stay and 2 fire options. This is silly.

That being said, Ole's at the wheel.
And they restarted the pull, when we had just gone thru our worst period, to get a worst possible result. They should change the questions and restart the pull again!

Foxbatt

This should be suspended or closed now. He is not going to get sacked now.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
He will stay this and next season and rightly so. I have been one of his biggest critics but when we continue to show progress I have to admit that it would be unwise when we’re rebuilding to change manager.

Close this thread until things go south on a regular basis. Right now we doing extremely good and Ole is a big part of our progress.

Withnail

I know you shouldn't attack the poster, but you deserve it based on the posts I've seen from you in multiple threads. You don't discuss you just laugh at other's opinions and clearly don't know how to debate. Your opinions on Martial are way off the mark and it's unsurprising that you have these opinions of Ole too. The fact is you clearly show you have little to no grasp of football, you don't actually care or support Manchester Utd and to top it off you come over like an immature brat.

To keep the post on the topic, yes many people myself included, believe that Ole can take us right to the top. He's quite clearly an exceptional man-manager (which is a hugely underappreciated skill). He's buying the right players and trying to build an exciting system. It has been clear since his arrival that we have been making massive strides to fix the mess that Mourinho left behind. Ultimately, football is a simple game if you can build a talented motivated squad and give them a system to perform in, you will win more football matches then you will lose and as a result, you will win trophies. Ole is well on the way to doing that!
It's impressive he's managed to piss you off to the extent that you've noticed a trend in his posts with little over 150 posts so far

Withnail

Why is the poll lacking the one option that makes this an actual poll? "Let Ole Finish the season, evaulate once its completed". Remove the middle option and replace it with this. Now you have 1 stay and 2 fire options. This is silly.

That being said, Ole's at the wheel.
My thoughts exactly. I've gone for the middle option because it's the closest to my position, not neccessarily because I want him replaced in the Summer.

edcunited1878

United need to be self-sustaining without being dependent on the manager. But understand the premise of this poll, although odd to reopen it again.

meamth

I’m not so sure, especially while Pochettino is still waiting.

Pochettino’s silence is deafening. No doubt somebody’s going to come and get him and it will be a top club.
Another Pochettino media brainwashed here.

Pochettino sucks, check his records against the top 6, and you wouldn't even want to hear his name anymore.

Shyte mid table to europa league manager at best.

Feck poch, Ole in.

Untd55

Another Pochettino media brainwashed here.

Pochettino sucks, check his records against the top 6, and you wouldn't even want to hear his name anymore.

Feck poch, Ole in.
Makes no sense. How can a manager who spent the vast majority of his time at Tottenham in the top four, whilst taking them to the CL final, only be considered a midtable to Europa standard manager?

Evidence is contradictory to your statement.

meamth

Makes no sense. How can a manager who spent the vast majority of his time at Tottenham in the top four, whilst taking them to the CL final, only be considered a midtable to Europa standard manager?

Evidence is contradictory to your statement.
Nope it's proven.

His record at Soton sucks, he got lucky with the players they have at Tottenham.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Nope it's proven.

His record at Soton sucks, he got lucky with the players they have at Tottenham.
Pochettino had Southampton finish in 8th. Their highest finish since 2002 and with more points since the PL started and they were one of the most entertaining teams to watch that season.

Lucky with the spurs players? You really are pushing the boat out with that one. You don't rate him that's fine but making shit up certainly doesn't do you any favours.

Wilt

Feck poch, Ole in.
Jeez, state of this.

I can except some people don't rate Pochettino, but to call him “shyte mid table at best” is factually wrong and utter rubbish.

Its well documented that Pochettino is on the radar of just about every top club in Europe.

So what is it that you know about Pochettino that the likes of Barcelona, Real, PSG, Juventus, Utd, City etc etc don’t? ...I’m sure they would be very interested to know.

lysglimt

Pochettino had Southampton finish in 8th. Their highest finish since 2002 and with more points since the PL started and they were one of the most entertaining teams to watch that season.

Lucky with the spurs players? You really are pushing the boat out with that one. You don't rate him that's fine but making shit up certainly doesn't do you any favours.
I am not saying Pochettino is a bad manager - of course he isn't - but he is not as brilliant as he is hyped up to be. As for the Southampton-team he took over - it was a really good side. The sacking of Nigel Adkins however was strange - he had an absolutely awful start to the season With Southampton where they lost 8 out of the first 10 matches. But then he started to turn things around. He won 4 and drew 6 out of the next 12 matches when he was fired in mid-january, so Pochettino took over a team on the way up and did ok in the last half of the season

And yes he did ok With Southampton in his first full season - but if you look at the team Southampton had in that season.

Artur Boruc - Luke Shaw, Jose Fonte, Dejan Lovren, Nathan Clyne - Steven Davis, Victor Wanyama (Ward Prowse), Adam Lallana, Morgan Schneiderlin (Jack Cork) - Jay Rodriguez, Ricky Lambert

in addition Gazzaniga, Chambers, Yoshida - this is not a bad Premier League-side

So the team he had - included 2 future United-players, 1 Arsenal-player, 2 Spurs-players, and 4 Liverpool-players

Yes he did well - but he had a very good side to work with

Foxbatt

I am not that fond of Poch because he is too rigid in his ways. A manager needs to be flexible and if Ole is going to be replaced I want someone better than Poch.

Zen86

So what is it that you know about Pochettino that the likes of Barcelona, Real, PSG, Juventus, Utd, City etc etc don’t? ...I’m sure they would be very interested to know.
Where is it stated that he is on the radar of all these clubs?

meamth

I am not saying Pochettino is a bad manager - of course he isn't - but he is not as brilliant as he is hyped up to be. As for the Southampton-team he took over - it was a really good side. The sacking of Nigel Adkins however was strange - he had an absolutely awful start to the season With Southampton where they lost 8 out of the first 10 matches. But then he started to turn things around. He won 4 and drew 6 out of the next 12 matches when he was fired in mid-january, so Pochettino took over a team on the way up and did ok in the last half of the season

And yes he did ok With Southampton in his first full season - but if you look at the team Southampton had in that season.

Artur Boruc - Luke Shaw, Jose Fonte, Dejan Lovren, Nathan Clyne - Steven Davis, Victor Wanyama (Ward Prowse), Adam Lallana, Morgan Schneiderlin (Jack Cork) - Jay Rodriguez, Ricky Lambert

in addition Gazzaniga, Chambers, Yoshida - this is not a bad Premier League-side

So the team he had - included 2 future United-players, 1 Arsenal-player, 2 Spurs-players, and 4 Liverpool-players

Yes he did well - but he had a very good side to work with
Exactly, I've read somewhere, he got the worst win percentage record among the Soton managers.

It's not nonsense, that is facts. On top of that abysmal record, he signed a lot of players too, mostly didn't work.

Now do we still need Poch? I don't think so.

Shamana

Exactly, I've read somewhere, he got the worst win percentage record among the Soton managers.

It's not nonsense, that is facts. On top of that abysmal record, he signed a lot of players too, mostly didn't work.

Now do we still need Poch? I don't think so.
He had southampton in their highest ever position and point tally since the inception of the PL.

Not going to argue with whether we should sack Ole and hire Poch, but there is some serious distortion against Poch in here. He's broken positive records at both Southampton and Spurs, and at Spurs he was seriously hamstrung by their spending power and their financing for a new stadium.

Should we bring Ole's amazing win record at Cardiff and Utd into the discussion?

Last edited:

meamth

He had southampton in their highest ever position and point tally since the inception of the PL.

Not going to argue with whether we should sack Ole and hire Poch, but there is some serious distortion against Poch in here. He's broken positive records at both Southampton and Spurs, and at Spurs he was seriously hamstrung by their spending power and their financing for a new stadium.

Should we bring Ole's amazing win record at Cardiff and Utd into the discussion?
Yes.

And while you do that, compare poch's record in the big games.

You want to win something, you obviously cannot have that trash record against top sides.

Shamana

Yes.

And while you do that, compare poch's record in the big games.

You want to win something, you obviously cannot have that trash record against top sides.
Post me his record.

You can't win the league either without collecting high points. Poch has done very well in the league considering that he's been managing Spurs and not Man Utd, Chelsea, City or Arsenal. His netspend was 15 mil.

Rish Sawhney

Post me his record.

You can't win the league either without collecting high points. Poch has done very well in the league considering that he's been managing Spurs and not Man Utd, Chelsea, City or Arsenal. His netspend was 15 mil.
Poch finished 3rd in a two horse race. You can't win the league if you're a bottler either.

Bite I'm bored

Shamana

Poch finished 3rd in a two horse race. You can't win the league if you're a bottler either.

Bite I'm bored
And solskjær has a overall underwhelming win record and pointtally in his PL career so far. Yes Poch didn't win the league the year Leicester did, but neither did Man Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal despite having much heftier spending power. You tell me when people started having expectations of Spurs winning the league or the CL. Are you expecting Mourinho to win the league with spurs next season?

Lentwood

Ole has done a fantastic job and won't be going anywhere so becoming a bit of a redundant thread really...if I were to name the PL manager currently LEAST likely to get the sack, Ole's name would be right up there

Rish Sawhney

And solskjær has a overall underwhelming win record and pointtally in his PL career so far. Yes Poch didn't win the league the year Leicester did, but neither did Man Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal despite having much heftier spending power. You tell me when people started having expectations of Spurs winning the league or the CL. Are you expecting Mourinho to win the league with spurs next season?
Maybe that should tell you that money isn't everything. At a time where all the big teams were in transition Spurs were arguably in the peak of their cycle and still managed to lose it.

Just because Spurs doesn't have CL or PL expectations doesn't mean when they do happen to have a good team they shouldn't be expected to win things.

As for Solskjær you're right he does have low points tally in the 15 months or so he's been here. But you can't ignore the entire context. He has shown league winning form where we beat every kind team to show me that he has the tactical nous and management skills to win all the trophies. He's performed well in big one off games and he's also beaten shit teams comfortably. But he has also been undertaking a big transition in playing staff over the course of this that has left the squad very young and inexperienced. Meanwhile there has been a shortage of quality - not numbers - in certain positions. We had 3 no. 10 with none of them being good enough. Add to that Pogba, who was supposed to be one of the experienced first teamers at the start of the season, has pretty much been unavailable for the entire season. I'd say we've over-performed our circumstances.

In those tough circumstances Fred and McTominay have developed into much better players, Rashford has shown he can take over the main scorer's responsibilities, the defense has become more settled, Greenwood has genuinely emerged as an option player, and most importantly I look forward to watching us play and like the team so much more.

I've honestly never been a fan of changing coaches year to year in general and certainly not when things are actually looking positive just because you see some greener grass along the way or you have some FOMO on someone who had a very good team (probably the best in the country) and didn't win them anything.

Shamana

Maybe that should tell you that money isn't everything. At a time where all the big teams were in transition Spurs were arguably in the peak of their cycle and still managed to lose it.

Just because Spurs doesn't have CL or PL expectations doesn't mean when they do happen to have a good team they shouldn't be expected to win things.

As for Solskjær you're right he does have low points tally in the 15 months or so he's been here. But you can't ignore the entire context. He has shown league winning form where we beat every kind team to show me that he has the tactical nous and management skills to win all the trophies. He's performed well in big one off games and he's also beaten shit teams comfortably. But he has also been undertaking a big transition in playing staff over the course of this that has left the squad very young and inexperienced. Meanwhile there has been a shortage of quality - not numbers - in certain positions. We had 3 no. 10 with none of them being good enough. Add to that Pogba, who was supposed to be one of the experienced first teamers at the start of the season, has pretty much been unavailable for the entire season. I'd say we've over-performed our circumstances.

In those tough circumstances Fred and McTominay have developed into much better players, Rashford has shown he can take over the main scorer's responsibilities, the defense has become more settled, Greenwood has genuinely emerged as an option player, and most importantly I look forward to watching us play and like the team so much more.

I've honestly never been a fan of changing coaches year to year in general and certainly not when things are actually looking positive just because you see some greener grass along the way or you have some FOMO on someone who had a very good team (probably the best in the country) and didn't win them anything.
I wasnt arguing for Poch over Ole in this argument, only that there is a lot shitting on Poch coming mainly from Ole in fans despite having a rather good overall record in his last 2 jobs. I'm down with the idea of Ole staying on for next season at least.

OrcaFat

I wasnt arguing for Poch over Ole in this argument, only that there is a lot shitting on Poch coming mainly from Ole in fans despite having a rather good overall record in his last 2 jobs. I'm down with the idea of Ole staying on for next season at least.
The bashing that Poch gets on here is over the top and I agree it probably comes mainly from Ole fans. It is a reaction to the posters who continue to clamour for Poch despite his poor showing over rather a long period; those same posters often showing no patience or understanding for Ole and refusing to credit him for any positives.

Poch is, for sure, a decent coach but the evidence that he would be better for us than Ole, whilst an attractive fantasy to some, is not really there.

Shamana

The bashing that Poch gets on here is over the top and I agree it probably comes mainly from Ole fans. It is a reaction to the posters who continue to clamour for Poch despite his poor showing over rather a long period; those same posters often showing no patience or understanding for Ole and refusing to credit him for any positives.

Poch is, for sure, a decent coach but the evidence that he would be better for us than Ole, whilst an attractive fantasy to some, is not really there.
Imagine if Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole had to work with a transfer budget of 15 mil and had to pay substancially lower wages at United.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

Imagine if Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole had to work with a transfer budget of 15 mil and had to pay substancially lower wages at United.
Poch did well, for a time, within stricter fiscal constraints than Utd managers are used to, assuming that’s what you are alluding to. Duly noted.

I have tried being reasonable before but I just hear the same Poch fan-boy crap. He’s decent, but he is not the messiah and over the last many months he was closer to being “a very naughty boy”.

Shamana

Poch did well, for a time, within stricter fiscal constraints than Utd managers are used to, assuming that’s what you are alluding to. Duly noted.

I have tried being reasonable before but I just hear the same Poch fan-boy crap. He’s decent, but he is not the messiah and over the last many months he was closer to being “a very naughty boy”.
I don't think he is the messiah, but I think he is unversially rated as a very good manager for a reason.

OrcaFat

I don't think he is the messiah, but I think he is unversially rated as a very good manager for a reason.
He is widely regarded as a very good coach. I can’t argue with that. Managing a club, especially one like Utd, is about more than coaching. I don’t know why Poch’s dismal record over the last year (cup run aside) is brushed aside. It doesn’t make him a bad coach but it surely raises doubt about his management. We’ll see. He could yet end up here, which wouldn’t please me but would reveal his suitability (or, perhaps, lack of).

Now I must congratulate myself for being so gosh darn reasonable.

lysglimt

I have been critical of Pochettino, but I have never said he isn't a good manager. I just think he gets very much praise considering his managerial record.

He was mediocre at Espanyol - he was good at Southampton, but he also inherited a very good Southampton-side. And he was brilliant for about 18 months or so at Spurs. But the first 2 seasons he didn't do too great - and the last 8-9 months was a disaster. He completely ran Spurs into the ground with (I think) 18 defeats in 36 matches. And I am yet to hear one good explanation as to how a brilliant manager could allow that to happen

ravelston

Post me his record.

Don't want to be argumentative, but his net spend was 93mil (bought 350mm sold 257mm).

OrcaFat

Don't want to be argumentative, but his net spend was 93mil (bought 350mm sold 257mm).
Just a thought but that would work out as about £15mil per year.

Anyway, although I am not a fan of Poch, he didn’t really spend much. Fortunately for him he already had some very decent players in most positions. (Most of them improved under his coaching and he deserves credit for that. But also, a lot of our players have improved under Ole and I’d like to see him get wider credit too.)

True Ole has had a lot more money to spend (Utd always spend) and that is part of his job which he has done very well. It is not very useful to say “Imagine Ole working with £15m a year” because the Utd job involves spending - on the right players. My reluctance to join the clamour for Poch is my doubt about his overall management, not his coaching. Ole is showing an aptitude for managing this big club.