Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

90 + 5min

Time is important. Have always been. Will always be. Us defending Solskjaer have always said, give him time. We know what he did in Molde and the same thing is happining here. He is building a fundation, he is building a team. But we got to have patience because nothing can be done in a year. Especially where we stood as a team and a club after last 5-6 years of changes.

Fosu-Mens

Still keep him until the end of the season... I would be okay with him staying longer given his ability to create a good working environment, but only if we are able to get someone to coach the team how to progress the ball into the final third/progress the ball with the fullbacks actually helping etc.
OGS has created a well-functioning environment for the players, they seem to feel good. The main difference from before is that we have better players available and they are not working in a hostile environment and to that, I give OGS and his team credit. Get someone in to help coaching passing and movement and we should be able to really compete in two seasons.

b82REZ

I also voted for ‘keep Ole’. But I don’t blame the fans on the other side. Ole was completely unproven, unknown in terms of management, plus it looked like we were falling to mediocrity. You’re correct about patience but there’s was a risk with sticking with Ole.
Well put.

This idea of us vs them in thread has always baffled me and the militant stances people take are bizzare. We're all United fans and want what's best for the club at the end of the day.

Keefy18

Just go back to page 200 ish and enjoy the read. :devil:

So happy we're seeing something like good football, I actually look forward to watching the games now, it's been a long time since I've been able to say that.
Absolutely this!

Supporters are so incredibly fickle! Zero patience and expect instant gratification!

The sacking % is down now to 28%.

Lots of band wagon jumpers and the min we lose a game again after 16 or however many games this run goes on for of course the knives will be out again.

Greck

Still keep him until the end of the season... I would be okay with him staying longer given his ability to create a good working environment, but only if we are able to get someone to coach the team how to progress the ball into the final third/progress the ball with the fullbacks actually helping etc.
OGS has created a well-functioning environment for the players, they seem to feel good. The main difference from before is that we have better players available and they are not working in a hostile environment and to that, I give OGS and his team credit. Get someone in to help coaching passing and movement and we should be able to really compete in two seasons.
Same. This is going to make his fans come at me but I'd still get in someone more polished in these aspects to unlock our next level. Ole should be kept as a transfer consultant, director or whatever role it takes to retain his style of transfers so we have the best of both worlds. The emphasis on player personality traits has been missing at United for a while. Jose turned us to Mercenary United

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Voted to keep him, but a lot should depend on what happens till the end of the season (and if bad things happen, then see who is available). Only Allegri inspires me from the available managers, but if Ole gets UCL football, I would say to keep him.

Saying that, I think that we missed a trick with Zidane.
Easiest thing in the world to say that x, y or z manager would have been a success here, you can never be proven wrong. I don't feel Zidane would have been the right man for United at that time, we would probably have spent many millions on players who were not a great fit for the club, but I'm speculating, I really have no more idea than you, just that Ole is doing a great job at the moment. The proof of how good he will be as a manager will be the number of trophies he can bring to OT.

DarkChild™

I am enjoying the humble pie serving that Ole's dishing out! He is at wheel, can see an attacking and defending game plan. Hope he gets his targets in the transfer market.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yet we still have nothing to show apart from a good run for a dozen or so games.

Yes, we are looking better, significantly so since the arrival of Fernandes but to act as if you're some sort of nostradamus because you had faith is daft.

There was no rational reason to keep Ole around Xmas time beyond intangible things like faith and patience.

I have always hoped the man would prove me wrong and at the moment he seems to be doing a cracking job at it, but let's wait until the season is over before we declare him or the season a success. All it takes is an injury to Bruno and we could well find ourselves serving up performances like we did in October.

I still cannot back him if we fail to get CL, that is my minimum expectation.
I read back my posts in this thread and a lot of them were debating with you. I listed decent reasons to stick with him, you just didn't seem to want to hear them at the time.

Keefy18

Voted to keep him, but a lot should depend on what happens till the end of the season (and if bad things happen, then see who is available). Only Allegri inspires me from the available managers, but if Ole gets UCL football, I would say to keep him.

It shouldn't depend on what happens between now and the end of the season at all.

We can't keep changing the managerial setup every 18months to 2 years.

It's not healthy for stability at all, we eventually have to fully ride out a term with a manager showing promise. It may well crescendo and dip off to nothing in another 18-2 years but he took over a team in the dumps, completely in the s*itter!!

He cleared out a huge chunk of deadwood, albeit there is still more to remove (that should tell you the size of the job at hand). Whilst doing so he has integrated Williams and Greenwood as squad options and they are both showing real promise. He's improved startling XI players across the club from AWB, Shaw, Matic, McTominay, Fred, Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and Martial.

His transfers are by an large on point.

Even when results weren't going our way from Aug to Jan we still played some great football, the signs were there but folks were too demanding of instant gratification. Dropping points whilst handling the situation he took on was completely inevitable.

If we finished 5th and win no cups, he should still stay and get another summer of support and if next season ends up similar then it'd be fair to say you've had a fair go Ole but we need to step to the next level and move on.

Last edited:

vidic blood & sand

I've always maintained that Ole should stay, but also understand that we are a work in progress. While progression continues we should not even contemplate sacking him, but eventually we will need to progress to seriously challenging again for the title. Eventually it will be perceived that he is either not quite able to take us up to the final level, or he is. When he's taken us as far as he can, we'll have to see if it's far enough.

spiriticon

I should probably switch to 'Ole out' at this moment in time just to be cool and different.

Redfrog

Ole is doing an amazing job. He knows the club and we can see that now because we have an identity...playing fast attacking football and trusting youth.

We can see how the previous managers were a bad fit for a club with an identity like ours.

He was brave by removing the deadwood at the expanse of the size of the squad.

He did well with our young players and we saw them impoving (Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Scot) .

Players like him and believe in him. It would have been easy to dawn tools in december but they reacted with some big performances even if it was inconsistant.

Now we see everything taking place. I don't get how some want to go to square one.

Redfrog

I was Ole out before the break, and I still think we need a better manager. Lets take into account at the moment the premier league has the two best managers in the world in Pep and Klopp, so I think we need a world class coach if we want to join the race.

Now after saying that, I don't really see the use of sacking Ole in this moment anymore. The squad seems unified and with Rashford's and Pogba's return there will be no more excuses for Ole to perform. I think we should evaluate at the end of the season and more than if we get top 4 or not what we should expect if to see a clear identity from the team, true progress and a football style besides counterattacking football, if we dont achieve that then he needs to go.

At the moment it seems difficult to change managers because of the schedule and the uncertainty of next season, but 18 months its more than enough to evaluate a manager.
You don't see a playing style ? The fast counter-attacking football and all the interchanges and passing around the box when we have the ball.

We are putting the teams to sword at the moment and we are scoring sublime goals from open play. What do you expect ?

I'm enjoying watching us at the moment. We are better on the eyes then City or Liverpool.

Maybe you just don't like our style !

Last edited:

Lentwood

Yet we still have nothing to show apart from a good run for a dozen or so games.

Yes, we are looking better, significantly so since the arrival of Fernandes but to act as if you're some sort of nostradamus because you had faith is daft.

There was no rational reason to keep Ole around Xmas time beyond intangible things like faith and patience.

I have always hoped the man would prove me wrong and at the moment he seems to be doing a cracking job at it, but let's wait until the season is over before we declare him or the season a success. All it takes is an injury to Bruno and we could well find ourselves serving up performances like we did in October.

So in other words then, you’ve learned nothing from the past 6 seasons!

There where loads of rational reasons to keep the faith, as I and a percentage of other posters continued to try to explain

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Admittedly, I joined the Ole out hysteria crowd after the permanent appointment and the alarming slump that occurred; however, I was massively wrong, and I couldn’t be happier than I was. Looking at the job Ole has done as a whole, it would require some crazy mental gymnastics and anti-Ole bias to categorise it as anything other than a damn fine good job.

He’s completely transformed our identity, from shipping out players that didn’t suit the clear identity and style he is striving for (which required Fergie-esque ruthlessness, balls and conviction), to promoting youth from our academy. It seems strange now, but people forget that Rashford is only an established first team starter because of Ole - José didn’t fancy him at all (remember “why always Lukaku?”) He’s completely reinvigorated Martial, a player who looked like his days were numbered after the Sanchez signing and subsequent shattering of confidence (not to mention the total unbalancing of the team). He’s made McTominay and Fred solid players that we would trust in the starting line up (kind of gutted that they have lost their first team starter place, tbh, which is a testament to Ole’s job as I didn’t rate them at all under Mou). He has nurtured an absolute gem in Williams at LB, a player that I would personally like to see as a starter soon (albeit impossible atm with the form of Shaw - another player that Ole has galvanised).

And last but not least, he’s nurtured an absolute superstar in the making in Mason Greenwood. The man management on display to get an 18 year old youth product to play with fearlessness, flair, swagger and confidence is a feat that can’t be understated.

I feel like we have our United back, all done under a club legend, and I couldn’t be happier.

I was so wrong. Hopefully, it continues!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan

Withnail

This seems like quite a blinkered sticking-to-your-guns-just-because point of view.

Surely you've seen enough now to think we are moving the right direction and that those who were saying so were right all along.

You can admit you were wrong. It's ok

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I changed my vote from sack him to back him.

Then I felt like I might jinx our good form so I’ve changed it back. Ole out!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Same. I had so many arguments backing Ole since he was appointed but mid season I voted sack and lost hope. Since Bruno signing we are playing very well, not just results but the actual performance too.

Looks like he has clear planning for future.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I honestly think the players would be gutted if he went and would be counter productive.

Raven

He has us playing some of the best football in Europe at the the moment, getting rid of him now would be nothing short of madness.

Red_Aaron

All the chat about style of play is just bollocks anyway. What it basically boils down to is we don't play like peps teams, well nor does anyone else in the world. Mou and LVG has styles of play and it was painful to watch

We've scored some fckin brilliant goals this season, particularly of late and we attack at every opportunity. Our style is just fine.

Ole has comfortably been the best post saf appointment imo and whilst it wouldn't change my opinion I'd love him to grab a cup this year if only to shut up the naysayers who refuse to give any credit to the man

Handré1990

There were 2 kinds of Ole-out fans - the ones who actually made decent points for getting rid of him (even if I didnt agree with them) - and then the most vocal ones who called him the worst manager in the league, clueless, idiot etc....
This should really be underlined. Even when I wasn’t sure of him I felt I had to defend him several times when he was called clueless, fraud, gollum, MoyesMk2 and the worst manager in the league, these are all examples from our own fans on here. He was always United through and through and deserved respect even if he’d failed or got fired.

swedishgloryhunter

Ole needs to be backed in the summer again. If glazers are interested in winning the league. We need a couple more puzzle pieces.
Its a joy watching this team again.

Long may ole reign.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There were 2 kinds of Ole-out fans - the ones who actually made decent points for getting rid of him (even if I didnt agree with them) - and then the most vocal ones who called him the worst manager in the league, clueless, idiot etc....
Exactly. There are people who lost hope but always respected him and then the second category who just wanted to take cheap shots every day and in every thread.

My only Eric

Wait till you find out the things I've jinxed.

I started actively watching United matches in 2013-2014 season and we immediately went to shit. The first match I watched that season was vs city and we lost 4-1. When we signed Di Maria, my nickname became Di Maria because I got a jersey with his name on it and immediately, Di maria went to shits.

When we got second position under Jose, I backed him to win the league the next season but he instead got the sack.

I predicted Croatia to win the world cup because you don't go through all that and bottle it in the final.. right???

When Ole got the interim job, I wasn't convinced he could get us on a bounce but he did. When I started to scream Ole at the wheel after the paris game, we went to shit.
Then, in december I predicted that Ole would get the sack and we would bring in Poch to take his place. Instead, Poch got the sack and we brought in Bruno and now, Ole's position looks more secure than ever.

Now, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Ole at the wheel again. Also, I think we will get champions league spot and win the europa this season.

Reactions: roonster09

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

I started actively watching United matches in 2013-2014 season and we immediately went to shit. The first match I watched that season was vs city and we lost 4-1. When we signed Di Maria, my nickname became Di Maria because I got a jersey with his name on it and immediately, Di maria went to shits.

When we got second position under Jose, I backed him to win the league the next season but he instead got the sack.

I predicted Croatia to win the world cup because you don't go through all that and bottle it in the final.. right???

When Ole got the interim job, I wasn't convinced he could get us on a bounce but he did. When I started to scream Ole at the wheel after the paris game, we went to shit.
Then, in december I predicted that Ole would get the sack and we would bring in Poch to take his place. Instead, Poch got the sack and we brought in Bruno and now, Ole's position looks more secure than ever.

Now, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Ole at the wheel again. Also, I think we will get champions league spot and win the europa this season.
That's not called jinxing, bro. You probably need to shake your head and ask questions of yourself.

Keefy18

Literally in a matter of an hour the "Sack Ole" percentage has decreased from just under 29% to 27.9%.

Folks are changing their minds and fast.

Fosu-Mens

Same. This is going to make his fans come at me but I'd still get in someone more polished in these aspects to unlock our next level. Ole should be kept as a transfer consultant, director or whatever role it takes to retain his style of transfers so we have the best of both worlds. The emphasis on player personality traits has been missing at United for a while. Jose turned us to Mercenary United
I like the mentality of the players brought in, not necessarily a fan of an immobile centreback in a high pressing system, or a fullback that is not very good on the ball.
Our recent attacking performances are down to signing Bruno and Pogba coming back, and not down do any tactical output from the coach. Then again, if they were unhappy, they would not be as likely to perform well.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Changed my option from sack now to let him finish the season.

Given how things have improved , he deserves to complete the season. And if we continue our good form, happy to have him for one more year. But I would wait where we are come end of the season.

Fosu-Mens

Just out of curiosity; What reasons did you have to think we could win the league under Jose? Our league position that season was a statistical anomaly (Same as Liverpool gathering of points this season).

Flexdegea

Allergi, like seriously?

I can't work out if people are serious or not.

What you think he going to bring to the table to that will push this team on, especially in a very attacking friendly league

My only Eric

That's not called jinxing, bro. You probably need to shake your head and ask questions of yourself.
Oh I do.. questions like should I start to support Ole or will that feck up our momentum? :D :D :D
Just out of curiosity; What reasons did you have to think we could win the league under Jose? Our league position that season was a statistical anomaly (Same as Liverpool gathering of points this season).
Just thought we would bring in players that summer and storm the league.

Ahh shit.. I have just one more post left for today.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

feck sake

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I like the mentality of the players brought in, not necessarily a fan of an immobile centreback in a high pressing system, or a fullback that is not very good on the ball.
Our recent attacking performances are down to signing Bruno and Pogba coming back, and not down do any tactical output from the coach. Then again, if they were unhappy, they would not be as likely to perform well.
Just by magic, Bruno seem to fit our style and perform in it

Fosu-Mens

Just by magic, Bruno seem to fit our style and perform in it
When you see how long time our players (the defenders and central midfielders) take to find a passing option, it kind off makes you think that the team got no overall plan on how to play? It seems like it still down to the player's own intuition where to pass and move in the build-up. And when having a midfield consisting of PP, Matic and Bruno makes it easier to transition the ball into the final third, than when playing Fred, McT and Mata/Pereira/Lingard.

It would become interesting if we were able to make Shaw and AWB more useful and integrated with the buildup, and hopefully, speed up the passing among the defenders and Matic/PP. Would make it harder for teams to stay compact and create more room for Bruno/PP and our attackers.

ReddevilTinu

The jigsaw is still remaining to be completed. Unfortunately this is not in Oles hands rather Woodward. However I believe that he knows how to fullest use the resources at his disposal

tombombadil

I said this when we were in the depths of despair in Dec and I'll say it again now.

The fact is, Ole is our manager now and we should let him continue until at least end of the season before we review the situation again. Sacking him then or now will achieve nothing but destabilize the squad and appease the ABU crowd who would love to see Man Utd fall again.

As a matter of fact, since the end of Dec, things have started to turn around. When Bruno Fernandes joined, the recovery was galvanised into full speed and I have to say, Ole seems to have really steadied the ship. This is consistent with the xG ratings we have been seeing since last year. So it is not surprising and only a matter of time. I can only hope we are lucky with injuries and can maintain the form till end of the season. If we do, then I think the season will reflect well on Ole and probably we should let him continue to rebuild the squad next season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm Ole in and believe he's working towards a play style at the club that will be very attack minded that will bring great joy to us potentially. He just needs to find the defensive balance which will require a bit of investment. Along with Kieran McKenna we have two coaches who have a very clear defined football philosophy that fits like a glove at United and for me that is all I want from a prospective new coach.

b82REZ

This seems like quite a blinkered sticking-to-your-guns-just-because point of view.

Surely you've seen enough now to think we are moving the right direction and that those who were saying so were right all along.

You can admit you were wrong. It's ok
I've always maintained that he should be judged based on CL qualification. I may change my mind come August if we win the FA Cup and miss out in exceptionally unlucky circumstances for CL, but currently I still feel if he doesn't get CL he hasn't proven enough over his entire tenure to justify another season.

I can hold my hands up and say currently we are playing sincilating football and he appears to have finally cracked it. I sincerely hope this continues and I will be the first person to come in this thread and admit I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.