Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b82REZ

However some seem to have forgotten how dire the football was under both of them. Sure they won a couple of ytophies and have proven track records but they produced teams which played some of the dullest and most lifeless football I have seen since Dave Sextons team.
And some have forgotten how dire the football was at the start of this season.

We look brilliant at the moment, but let's not pretend that has always been the case under Ole. There were times we were playing attacking football under LvG and in Jose's first season I don't remember too many complaints about being overly defensive.

There seems to be a whitewashing going on where somehow people that are still not convinced by him or want to wait until the end of the season are idiots. Lest you forget that until Bruno's arrival the consensus was the majority wanted him gone. You can be a fan and objectively assess the managers performance, and based on the majority of his tenure he has underperformed. However in football you're only as good as your last match so Ole deserves all the credit he's getting currently.

If he continues with this level of performance there will be very few begrudging him another season, but we're not there just yet.

Withnail

We look brilliant at the moment, but let's not pretend that has always been the case under Ole. There were times we were playing attacking football under LvG and in Jose's first season I don't remember too many complaints about being overly defensive.

There seems to be a whitewashing going on where somehow people that are still not convinced by him or want to wait until the end of the season are idiots. Lest you forget that until Bruno's arrival the consensus was the majority wanted him gone. You can be a fan and objectively assess the managers performance, and based on the majority of his tenure he has underperformed. However in football you're only as good as your last match so Ole deserves all the credit he's getting currently.

If he continues with this level of performance there will be very few begrudging him another season, but we're not there just yet.
I think it's quite clear he's getting another season regardless so it's kind of a moot point.

This PL season is going to run into the Europa which will run into the new PL season. That would make any managerial change challenging to say the least.

With the team playing the way they are at the moment, there's a feel-good factor around the club and the players and fans are happy so I think there's little chance the board will sack him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He definitely deserves to stay for 20-21, and 2-3 signings.

This squad is going places with Ole at the wheel. That 5-2 was pure SAF era.
It's the closest I've felt to us being back to that time. Under Jose we'd have gone in at half time 1 - 0 down but I had no doubt we'd score.

ReddBalls

And some have forgotten how dire the football was at the start of this season
I don't think so, but for most I think it finally sunk in that results suffered because of injuries and squad depth at that time.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Oh bullshit, we played attacking football under LVG???? What utter bullshit. It was dreadful style footy from day 1.

b82REZ

I don't think so, but for most I think it finally sunk in that results suffered because of injuries and squad depth at that time.
The poor performances at the start of the season can be attributed to poorer personnel but Solksjaer's inability of adjust his tactics had a huge impact on our season.

It's all well and good having a preferred style but if do not have the players to effectively play that style the manger has to adjust. Ole's refusal to do that or an inability to coach and alternate style certainly cost us dozens of points this season.

The defence of him in face of other "lesser" clubs and managers having as good or better records as him at the same respective points only compounded Solksjaer's problems.

Yes, we look excellent currently and we all hope this is the standard which we can expect week in week out, but we still don't know whether this a purple patch or whether Solksjaer has finally cracked it.

Havak

Pokemon master
I don't see how we could possibly sack Ole now, even if it came to us finishing 5th and not winning either cup competition we're still in. He will be given the 20/21 season as the feel-good factor is too high and the recruitment is massively successful. He is doing enough that he should be allowed to showcase his vision for this Manchester United side and see where it's at come the end of next season. Even then, I think it would need a huge fall from grace with no trophies and no top four finish for him to be let go. I think our squad will be almost there after the next 2-3 windows with most of who we wanted signed and at least all of the bad apples / clearly surplus to requirement players gone.

Sacking Ole would create more unrest and stagger progress again, so unless we hit more bad form and fail to meet targets after supporting him with the right resources so much, he needs to stay. Ultimately, I can see it being a case that he isn't good enough tactically to actually win the Premier League, but I think he should be at least given the next season or two if we're looking good and going close to winning trophies and are constantly in the top four.

b82REZ

Oh bullshit, we played attacking football under LVG???? What utter bullshit. It was dreadful style footy from day 1.
Selective memory to suit your agenda. I didn't at any point state that the whole of LvGs tenure was free flowing attacking football but there were certain sustained periods where we did look good as an attacking force under his coaching. Claiming otherwise is disingenuous and shows your agenda.

Rish Sawhney

Selective memory to suit your agenda. I didn't at any point state that the whole of LvGs tenure was free flowing attacking football but there were certain sustained periods where we did look good as an attacking force under his coaching. Claiming otherwise is disingenuous and shows your agenda.
Yeah for like 4 games towards the end of his first season. Maybe for a bit in the beginning of his second season as well but that all went to pot sometime around the first CL group stage game - so pretty early on.

b82REZ

Yeah for like 4 games towards the end of his first season. Maybe for a bit in the beginning of his second season as well but that all went to pot sometime around the first CL group stage game - so pretty early on.
And point to anywhere where I've disputed that?

The poster I was replying to claimed we played "dreadful football from day 1" which is simply untrue.

I was all for LvG being sacked but I'm not going to pretend he did manage to get us to have some excellent performances.

The idea of building up Solksajer by breaking down all the managers prior to him is bizzare. The reality is that until the restart we were at best inconsistent as an attacking force and at worse fecking atrocious to watch.

Rish Sawhney

And point to anywhere where I've disputed that?

The poster I was replying to claimed we played "dreadful football from day 1" which is simply untrue.

I was all for LvG being sacked but I'm not going to pretend he did manage to get us to have some excellent performances.

The idea of building up Solksajer by breaking down all the managers prior to him is bizzare. The reality is that until the restart we were at best inconsistent as an attacking force and at worse fecking atrocious to watch.
The point is that we've seen more from Ole's teams in one and a bit season than in LvG's entire tenure. And while there have been some horrendous performances under Ole, none were as soul crushing as LvG's consistently boring football. Even at our worst we had moments of quality and you could turn up to games not knowing which United would turn up - the one that beat Norwich pretty comfortably or the one that lost to Watford. It was never as consistently depressing as LvG or even Mourinho towards the end.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
...but there were certain sustained periods where we did look good as an attacking force under his coaching.
I honestly don't remember that. And I was more lenient/patient with LVG than most.

We had a brief run of games towards the end of his first season where we actually produced some attacking football worth watching - three or four games at most.

And, if memory serves, that run came about after LVG - for reasons unknown - suddenly decided to abandon his rather rigid system. A system he reverted back to later on - with less than stellar results. In other words, it was something of an anomaly - a freak run, you could say, and very brief.

Keefy18

That is quite revisionist lets be honest.

I was in support of LVG, I liked him and thought he was hilarious and by and large he had the right idea with focusing on youth and a long term plan of rebuilding a young side. The football was largely very poor though lets be honest. There were very few games that were really enjoyable.

The highlighted part is down to supporters being incredibly reactionary and emotional, the minute we lose again that sacking % will shoot up again cause utter clowns will forget that we've not lost in 16 games but cause we lost once he's not good enough.

To say he has under performed is how can I politely put it... b*llicks! No manager would come into United in the rag order we were in sitting 6th or 7th, 11 points adrift of 4th... with morale in the sewer, rebuild a team and repair morale from a defensive minded bore we were and instantly compete!

If anything he has completely over performed considering all the work that has had to be done.

Last edited:

GiddyUp

We may eventually get to a point where Ole might not have it to take us forward but right now he is doing an admirable job. He has a few tough decisions to make very soon though, keeper being one.

b82REZ

I can't be arsed replying to individuals but let me clarify as people seem to be misunderstanding my point. I agree LvG on the whole was a horrible manager for this club and the football, for the most part was the worse I've seen in 30 odd years. However I know that we did play some attractive stuff under him.

The difference is im viewing his tenure objectively and I'm able to recognise the small amounts of good he did in face of the shit football he served up for the most part. That same standard is not applied to Ole by his staunchest supporters. We get BS like Fergie couldn't get a tune out of these players. The reality is Solksjaer has to shoulder the majority of the blame for out awful start to the season despite having us playing the best stuff we've seen in years in recent weeks. One doesn't cancel out the other.

Personally I dont think over his 18 or so months in charge he's done enough. I'm willing to reassess come August but since the restart there seem to be an upswell of posters acting like nostradamus.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I was in support of LVG, I liked him and thought he was hilarious and by and large he had the right idea with focusing on youth and a long term plan of rebuilding a young side. The football was largely very poor though lets be honest. There were very few games that were really enjoyable.

The highlighted part is down to supporters being incredibly reactionary and emotional, the minute we lose again that sacking % will shoot up again cause utter clowns will forget that we've not lost in 16 games but cause we lost once he's not good enough.

To say he has under performed is how can I politely put it... b*llicks! No manager would come into United in the rag order we were in sitting 6th or 7th, 11 points adrift of 4th... with morale in the sewer, rebuild a team and repair morale from a defensive minded bore we were and instantly compete!

If anything he has completely over performed considering all the work that has had to be done.
I think overperformed really depends on the expectations set on him. We'll probably end with a lower point tally than we did with Moyes season, but even things picked up after Bruno and having our best players return from injury. I think he's done enough to earn the trust of the fans and the boards to be given a real shot at the job for some seasons at least.

Eli Zee

I
I think overperformed really depends on the expectations set on him. We'll probably end with a lower point tally than we did with Moyes season, but even things picked up after Bruno and having our best players return from injury. I think he's done enough to earn the trust of the fans and the boards to be given a real shot at the job for some seasons at least.
I think he’s overperformed in a sense that you take any other manager with his experience and most probably wouldn’t have us in the position we’re in now... expecting big things next season, especially if we have a solid transfer window. May not be UCL winners and PL winners, but I expect us to very solid competitors.

ostentatious

Yet we still have nothing to show apart from a good run for a dozen or so games.

Yes, we are looking better, significantly so since the arrival of Fernandes but to act as if you're some sort of nostradamus because you had faith is daft.

There was no rational reason to keep Ole around Xmas time beyond intangible things like faith and patience.

I have always hoped the man would prove me wrong and at the moment he seems to be doing a cracking job at it, but let's wait until the season is over before we declare him or the season a success. All it takes is an injury to Bruno and we could well find ourselves serving up performances like we did in October.

I still cannot back him if we fail to get CL, that is my minimum expectation.
Addressing the points in bold.

1. Do you not think that right now we have:
  • a better playing style
  • a much stable defence
  • a consistent starting XI
  • a more harmonious and positive environment ?

And all these have just become evident since this unbeaten run, it's all been progressing throughout the season. We insisted on playing out from the back (we still have problems there, but have improved massively) for a long time now. We used to leak goals at one point, and it was not solved just by getting HM and AWB, it took time for that to remedied. Our season was plagued by injuries to key individuals throughout the season, and this is the first time that we have most of our players back and we are getting to see them play well when played together consistently. All these are signs of progress for me – none of these was achieved overnight.

2 and 3. Can it be that some others might have identified that the team was making progress even if the results were not going our way all the time, and it need not be just irrational faith and patience as you think?

4. Back in October, it was not just Bruno that we were missing. In October, we lost one match – against Newcastle. And we did not have Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Lindelof, Pogba and Martial available for that match. Most teams would drop their level if they did not have 5 of their starters available.

1. Are you trying to counterbalance that by whitewashing anyone who was patient in Ole as irrational?
2. Not really, is it? Even before Bruno came, the majority (even in here) was in favour of keeping him.
3. What were you expecting from the manager at the beginning of the season? And do we factor in the unfortunate long/frequent injuries that our players got when assessing the performance of the team?

Last edited:

Keefy18

I can't be arsed replying to individuals but let me clarify as people seem to be misunderstanding my point. I agree LvG on the whole was a horrible manager for this club and the football, for the most part was the worse I've seen in 30 odd years. However I know that we did play some attractive stuff under him.

The difference is im viewing his tenure objectively and I'm able to recognise the small amounts of good he did in face of the shit football he served up for the most part. That same standard is not applied to Ole by his staunchest supporters. We get BS like Fergie couldn't get a tune out of these players. The reality is Solksjaer has to shoulder the majority of the blame for out awful start to the season despite having us playing the best stuff we've seen in years in recent weeks. One doesn't cancel out the other.

Personally I dont think over his 18 or so months in charge he's done enough. I'm willing to reassess come August but since the restart there seem to be an upswell of posters acting like nostradamus.
Well its not really BS, Fergie took 6 years to get to a league Title... Klopp today has needed 4 with Liverpool. Managers need time. It's not rocket science.

Supposed far better and more qualified managers have failed where Ole is doing better currently in terms of building a stable side and leaving the club in a very healthy condition even if he were to be replaced.

I'll remind you, we were 11 points adrift of 4th place with Jose's sacking. The football was worse at that point than at any other, the morale was non existent. Players were openly speaking of their frustration being at the club, we were on the cusp of losing Rashford, Martial, Shaw and Pogba arguably.

If Ole rebuilding our team to our best starting XI in the post Fergie years, rebuilding morale, vastly improving arguably every player at the club bar De Gea, closing the gap to 3rd to 3pts, whilst still competing for 2 cups isn't enough then your expectations aren't... well... "objective" as you like to think they are.

It's pretty ironic really.

Keefy18

He's over performed in that folks seem to forget where we were to where we currently are.

Team rebuild on point thus far, transfers on point, morale repaired and constantly improving etc etc etc...

Literally every area you could look at faulting him he's arguably improved the longer he is in the job and if for arguments sake he was to leave or be fired our club is in a far better condition than the one LVG or Jose left him to pick up and run with.

b82REZ

This is a perfect example of someone applying their subjective opinion rather than looking at tangible evidence.

You have no way to prove another manager would do worse but I can post statistical evidence that Ole is infact the worse manager we've had post Fergie. This is what ultimately this debate boils down to and because of Ole's history with the club it has created a sub section of supporters than seem incapable or analysing the seaosn objectively.

b82REZ

Well its not really BS, Fergie took 6 years to get to a league Title... Klopp today has needed 4 with Liverpool. Managers need time. It's not rocket science.

Supposed far better and more qualified managers have failed where Ole is doing better currently in terms of building a stable side and leaving the club in a very healthy condition even if he were to be replaced.

I'll remind you, we were 11 points adrift of 4th place with Jose's sacking. The football was worse at that point than at any other, the morale was non existent. Players were openly speaking of their frustration being at the club, we were on the cusp of losing Rashford, Martial, Shaw and Pogba arguably.

If Ole rebuilding our team to our best starting XI in the post Fergie years, rebuilding morale, vastly improving arguably every player at the club bar De Gea, closing the gap to 3rd to 3pts, whilst still competing for 2 cups isn't enough then your expectations aren't... well... "objective" as you like to think they are.

It's pretty ironic really.
I think you need to look up the definition of objective and subjective before you claim that.

Keefy18

This is a perfect example of someone applying their subjective opinion rather than looking at tangible evidence.

You have no way to prove another manager would do worse but I can post statistical evidence that Ole is infact the worse manager we've had post Fergie. This is what ultimately this debate boils down to and because of Ole's history with the club it has created a sub section of supporters than seem incapable or analysing the seaosn objectively.
We do know, we saw how LVG & Jose done didn't we?

They couldn't rebuild our side to anything akin to what we are currently seeing. That is the tangible evidence you conveniently refuse to "objectively" see.

I think you need to look up the definition of objective and subjective before you claim that.
See above.

I base my opinions on fact, you waffle on about objective this, subjective that and ignore the "tangible evidence" before you.

Again the irony.

b82REZ

We do know, we saw how LVG & Jose done didn't we?

They couldn't rebuild our side to anything akin to what we are currently seeing. That is the tangible evidence you conveniently refuse to "objectively" see.

See above.

I base my opinions on fact, you waffle on about objective this, subjective that and ignore the "tangible evidence" before you.

Again the irony.
I'm going to leave this here because you clearly do not what objective means and your heated posts speak of a man that struggles to articulate his thoughts.

midnightmare

Except that football is not devoid of context. Specially when comparing different years for the same team. You may as well compare the points totals of Leeds and Bournemouth and call it "objective". It's only objective if all parameters other than the one being assessed are similar. And it's very different for Ole vs LvG vs Jose.

LvG - took over a team that finished 7th under Moyes but had been champions just the season before. It still had multiple world-class players in it. He inherited RvP and Rooney in the strike force for example. He was also given oodles of cash to splash and was in a league that was not so competitive.

Jose - took over a team in worse condition (to LvG's first season, not Ole's), but which still had not completely lost it. Just won the FA Cup and he too was given a blank cheque really. Atmosphere was optimistic about building on this - and there was no sense of turmoil and despair

Ole - took over club that was now clearly in a horrific downward spiral and a dressing room as well as overall structure that was borderline depressing. Also took over a squad with an unimaginable number of players that were just dross. Think about it. Since he took over, we've sold / released (not counting Herrera) Young, Valencia, Lukaku, Fellaini, Darmian; loaned out Smalling, Alexis, Rojo and yet we still have on our books, Jones, Lingard, Mata, Pereira, Dalot.

It is absolutely (in my opinion) not correct to simply look at the points and say it's objective.

On transfers, Ole has been the best; in terms of improvements in individual players, none delivered like he has; in terms of playing style, none of the others produced any spell or run like the one we're on and on general atmosphere, nobody built this. Are these subjective? Sure! Apart from transfers, they are. But comparing managers just isn't amenable to simplistic and reductive "objective" assessments - at least not in my opinion.

PS: When you say Ole is the worst post-SAF, technically you're even mentioning Moyes. The David Moyes who took us from 1st to 7th in a single year. Yet, by your definition of "objective", Moyes is currently a better manager? Surely that alone should make you pause and rethink whether you're on the right track!

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The reality is Solksjaer has to shoulder the majority of the blame for out awful start to the season despite having us playing the best stuff we've seen in years in recent weeks. One doesn't cancel out the other.
Sure, yes. As the manager at United (with our infamous "structure" in place) he always has to shoulder most of the blame.

However, let's look at some of the key points insisted on by people who backed him (to various degrees - some of those were just fans who didn't completely dismiss him as a "clown", "fraud" or an "idiot") at the time:

* This isn't his preferred style (at all). He is limited by the players available to him.

* We simply lack something crucial in the creativity department - and no amount of "coaching" is going to compensate for that.

* He knows what the problem is, he knows which players aren't good enough, but he has opted for a long-term approach to solving it.

* He has opted for blooding youngsters rather than bringing in experienced "replacements" for the likes of Lukaku.

None of that looks too crazy at the moment, does it? If you think that a shite start to the season is unacceptable in and of itself - well, you obviously won't be convinced by any of this. But I would suggest you take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

You can post evidence that results (not performances) have been worse (so far) compared to completely different teams, players available and level of opposition which prove absolutely nothing about best or worst manager.

Withnail

The thing is you brought up LVGs period of good attacking play as a counter-point to the current 'purple patch'.

When it was pointed out that these periods for LVG were quite short and most would consider them irrelevant you then change tack and claim people are misunderstanding you and then seek to re-frame the argument.

I'm not sure where the Fergie couldn't get a tune out of these players is coming into it but it certainly doesn't sound like something anyone said that about the current starting XI.

You're claiming to be objective but you can't just look purely at the league position without taking into account everything that's gone on. The long-term injuries to multiple key players when the squad was considered to be thin by most has to be a factor in judging how the manager has done.

As others have said we could win all of our remaining games and not get into the Top 4 or lose a couple and make top 4, so I'm not sure why that would be the be all and end all. It could easily come down to the outcome of City's appeal.

Would CL qualification still be the barometer of success or failure if we won all of our remaining games and were unbeaten in 21 or 22 games in all comps or if we snuck through in 5th due to City's ban?

Keefy18

I'm going to leave this here because you clearly do not what objective means and your heated posts speak of a man that struggles to articulate his thoughts.
Not heated at all, you just like to post in a ridiculous manner that you have some form of intelligent superiority to all other members here.

If anyone disagrees with your thought process you post that they lack objectivity and claim subjectivity with an apparent lack of "tangible evidence".. did I do that right Mr Hawking's?

I've repeatedly stated what the evidence is and why I support him.

Every single poster here is literally digitally slapping you in the face with the "tangible evidence" of why we faltered at the start of the season and why it has slowly improved as his time here plays out.

Robbie Boy

On Saturday it genuinely felt like a game under Fergie and you can't get higher praise than that really. We even had squad players coming on for some minutes during a comfortable win with some scintillating attacking football.

Under Jose or LvG I never had any faith we could come back when going a goal behind but Ole is really starting to build something here. I'm loving our football and the front three are delicious to watch.

I absolutely wanted Ole out for the first half of the sesson as nothing seemed to be coming off and our football was poor. Luckily Ole never planned on starting the likes of Lingard, Pereira or James longterm and our football has hugely improved since Bruno's arrival and our now fluid and interchangeable front three really clicking. This is obviously what Ole wanted from the get go and shifting Lukaku while replacing some of the poorer players out of the starting eleven has allowed his vision to come to the fore.

Can we improve? Of course we can but the signs since the turn of the year are very promising. We're probably two signings away from being where we want to be.

el3mel

You are the one who actually have selective memory. "periods" it's just one short period of 6 games in his first season and that was it. 6 games or so from more than 101 games he managed here.

Guy was dreadful. Get over it.

I can post statistical evidence that Ole is infact the worse manager we've had post Fergie
Please do?

Win %
Ole 54.32
Moyes 52.94
Van Gaal 52.43

Goals per game
Ole 1.77
Moyes 1.68
Van Gaal 1.53

(And Ole inherited a trainwreck of a squad, and has struggled with long term injuries on key players. Moyes inherited a title winning squad.)

b82REZ

Not heated at all, you just like to post in a ridiculous manner that you have some form of intelligent superiority to all other members here.

If anyone disagrees with your thought process you post that they lack objectivity and claim subjectivity with an apparent lack of "tangible evidence".. did I do that right Mr Hawking's?

I've repeatedly stated what the evidence is and why I support him.

Every single poster here is literally digitally slapping you in the face with the "tangible evidence" of why we faltered at the start of the season and why it has slowly improved as his time here plays out.
None of that is tangible, objective evidence though, Mr Hawking's. Performances are analysed subjectively as you and many others in here are want to do, results are the only objective metric by which we can fairly analyse his performance.

b82REZ

Please do?

Win %
Ole 54.32
Moyes 52.94
Van Gaal 52.43

Goals per game
Ole 1.77
Moyes 1.68
Van Gaal 1.53

(And Ole inherited a trainwreck of a squad, and has struggled with long term injuries on key players. Moyes inherited a title winning squad.)
Please enligten me as to where you got these stats as they seem to be hand picked here like his win percentage since January maybe?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
You obviously can't sack him now. If he doesn't get top 4 and we don't win a trophy then i'd sack him. If he gets top 4 and or a trophy then he will be our manager for sure next season. I still don't think he is a top top manager but he might be the right guy at the right time.

midnightmare

Please enligten me as to where you got these stats as they seem to be hand picked here like his win percentage since January maybe?
Ole is statistically third (all-time) in win% for all official competitive games played. That’s across his entire stint. Jan onwards he’d be top of the pile.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Points total is...pointless. As has been - er - pointed out over and over again.

Fergie's treble team were shite. Third worst points total in the PL era.

Leicester were better than the '99 vintage.

And so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.