Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
One problem, unless the new guy is a dinosaur like Moyes I don't see him liking Maguire, AWB and McTominay as key members of his team. Two of them cost us £130m just 15 months ago. This is the problem with laying foundations for someone else, managers are unique and their requirements are different.

Klopp and Pep have shipped out lots of players and it will likely happen here too if we bring a new guy in. The mistake was made after that miracle in Paris and we will pay for that poor decision for a long time because not only will we have to replace Ole but some of his cornerstone signings too.
I would disagree - Maguire wasn't under a dinosaur coach with Leicester and Pep wanted him at City too. Wan Bissaka was highly rated even prior to joining us. I don't care for how he utilizes McTominay.

We have plenty of creative players that a progressive coach would absolutely love.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
But who?
Do you think Woodward chooses managers as per some master plan and footballing vision he has or does he have a team with great footballing vision and what is best for Man Utd
Of course he doesn't. The owners buy players for shirt sales and resale value.

But what do all the Caftards want? The ones that scream Ole in or Ole out. We just wang on about bringing in Poch as though that will be a quick fix when it's anything but. And the others wang on about keeping Ole as though his tactics are ever going to get us higher than 3d/4th even in a good year - which this won't be.

So what is it we actually want? Because as long as we don't know, it's so much easier for the Glazers to do nothing.

Abhinav

Despite the crushing feeling yesterday, I still thing Ole can salvage this season by making some tough choices. First, drop Pogba in the PL games, only play him in the cups and or bring him from the bench against tired poor PL opposition. Start with Fred/McT duo along with Bruno in away games and Fred/VdB/ Bruno at home. Build Cavani’s fitness up so that he can rotate with Martial/ Rashford and Greenwood. If he does this, we will find some level of consistency and can string a few good results. Despite the hyperbole, our squad is not as great as people claim it to be. We needed to get atleast 2 of CB/DM/RW positions sorted at the beginning of the season for us to improve the consistency of our performances. We failed to do that and thus any injury/ suspension/ poor form will always risk dropping of points. Ole needs to ensure consistency in selection and back the right players so that they get into some sort of rhythm and form.

Amir

Where’s the evidence for that?
I'm not sure how there can ever be actual evidence for any team making the most out of what is has got or not.

We've spent good money, I believe we have really good players. We see what they can do on certain days.

LJJT

I’m a big Ole supporter and I will continue to back him throughout his remaining time with us. I am massively disappointed in yesterday and i now have massive question marks on my own judgement and Ole. I just can’t understand how we can swing from being so good to so terrible. It’s easy and obvious to blame the manager and I’m not saying it isn’t his fault but what the hell is wrong with these players? Was that system so shite yesterday? Why can’t we string together passes and results?

Greck

When one of Rashford or Martial doesn't start our win rate goes down to 35% and our goal per game drops from 2.1 to 1.0. It was pretty obvious last season this was a problem and we hoped Greenwood would fix it, but that hasn't happened and Cavani is still nowhere near match sharp. Fact is that if one of Rashford or Martial doesn't start we're very easy to defend against and we shoot less.

It's the usual shit i'm afraid, we go into the Summer desperately needing a forward to help spread out the goals in the team and yet we end up with a 30 year old. This was clear when Lukaku left and yet again clear this summer and the board rather than spending big, go for the short term, budget option. Simply not good enough.
Spending big was never an option in the covid era with attendance revenue dead certain to drop. We still have one of the best scoring front 3 in Europe from last season. If we are in desperate need of a scoring forward then the rest of the teams in Europe should be on life support. We needed all round depth not Sancho who would probably be stinking up the joint by now if he came. He isn't that player that can rescue a sorry team performance

Last edited:

croadyman

I’m a big Ole supporter and I will continue to back him throughout his remaining time with us. I am massively disappointed in yesterday and i now have massive question marks on my own judgement and Ole. I just can’t understand how we can swing from being so good to so terrible. It’s easy and obvious to blame the manager and I’m not saying it isn’t his fault but what the hell is wrong with these players? Was that system so shite yesterday? Why can’t we string together passes and results?
I admire you for still backing him despite proving he clearly has no tactics outside of counter attack and hope you someone to produce a piece of magic out of nowhere

LJJT

I admire you for still backing him despite proving he clearly has no tactics outside of counter attack and hope you someone to produce a piece of magic out of nowhere
On the basis he’s done that on 50+ occasions surely that proves he’s got a bit more to his tactical game otherwise he would have been long gone by now surely?

croadyman

On the basis he’s done that on 50+ occasions surely that proves he’s got a bit more to his tactical game otherwise he would have been long gone by now surely?
Not in my opinion but like I say if you want to believe he will magically find a plan B in games then that's your decision

Maureen-yo

I dont get it at all. Former great as a player, will always have a special place in our hearts, but not competent enough. Poor

A poster celebrating if we win our game in hand we will only be 6 points off top. He doesnt realize we have only played 7 games and are already 9 points off top. What a mediocre fanbase accepting this crap
Just to be pedantic, we've played 6 games and therefore IF we win our game in hand we would be 6 points off.

LJJT

Not in my opinion but like I say if you want to believe he will magically find a plan B in games then that's your decision
We shall have to wait and see I must admit my faith is diminishing but having said that if we can string a few wins together in the league by game 10 the outlook could be completely different to today. I don’t think we will do but also wouldn’t be surprised if we did we have it in us

croadyman

Just to be pedantic, we've played 6 games and therefore IF we win our game in hand we would be 6 points off.
Unfortunately there is also the small matter of us having the fourth worst goal difference in the league too

croadyman

We shall have to wait and see I must admit my faith is diminishing but having said that if we can string a few wins together in the league by game 10 the outlook could be completely different to today. I don’t think we will do but also wouldn’t be surprised if we did we have it in us
I hate to say it but expect a bigger response out of Everton on Saturday after losing their last two, yes I am glad they haven't got Richarlison or James to supply Calvert-Lewin but still expect them to put in a performance

OneUnited24

The Chelsea and Arsenal games have really made me start to question Ole. I'm not quite Ole out but I'm getting there. Chelsea and Arsenal werent great and IMO there for the taking, with the players we had out there they should have done better than what we saw. The lack of consistency is very concerning and after 2 years with the players he has he should know how to break down a low block. If teams attack us it's fine but most teams don't. All he ever talks about is how we're going to play our football and make teams worry about us, the only thing teams worry about is our counter attack and that's easily countered with a low block. It's not good enough. If we want to get back to where we want we need a to have more bows in our locker.

I can't question his ability to man manage or change the culture around the club, you don't hear about bust ups or the like - he prefers to keep things in house. However, the lack of tactics and patterns of play to break down teams is worrying. I always saw Ole as the guy to build a squad and hoped he could be the one to win us things, but based on our league games it doesn't look like he is.

Slysi17

I think Ole being a very liked ex player complicates things a bit. If we finished the season like 6-7th there is a slight chance that even hardcore fanboys would realise he is not good enough. If we sack him in let's say December, I think there would be a big backlash from Ole fanboys. I am sure the club would want to avoid that as much as possible. Unfortunately I don't see him going until the end of the season and I fear that we might stick with him even if we finish outside of TOP 4 because he is the perfect shield for our board - likeable ex player who will never complain about the transfers and is just basically happy to be here. Perfect.
The board don't care though. Also better time to sack him now since there are no fans in the stadium. The abuse they get at the end of the season will be way worse if fans are allowed back in the stadium. There were Ed Woodward bon fire chants in the stadium just before Bruno came in when we were rubbish.

LJJT

I hate to say it but expect a bigger response out of Everton on Saturday after losing their last two, yes I am glad they haven't got Richarlison or James to supply Calvert-Lewin but still expect them to put in a performance
I agree and we are going over to Turkey and back which puts us in an even harder position

Roane

The Chelsea and Arsenal games have really made me start to question Ole. I'm not quite Ole out but I'm getting there. The lack of consistency is very concerning and after 2 years with the players he has he should know how to break down a low block. If teams attack us it's fine but most teams don't. All he ever talks about is how we're going to play our football and make teams worry about us, the only thing teams worry about is our counter attack and that's easily countered with a low block. It's not good enough. If we want to get back to where we want we need a manager who can add more bows to our team.

I can't question his ability to man manage or change the culture around the club, you don't hear about bust ups or the like - he prefers to keep things in house. However, the lack of tactics and patterns of play to break down teams is worrying. I always saw Ole as the guy to build a squad and hoped he could be the one to win us things, but based on our league games it doesn't look like he is.
I always felt Ole was employed to steady the ship and give us thinking time to set something up.

His 3 years have got us a squad than can compete and a couple of additions and we could challenge but not with Ole

I think he has done his job and now we need to get someone in to take the next step

croadyman

The board don't care though. Also better time to sack him now since there are no fans in the stadium. The abuse they get at the end of the season will be way worse if fans are allowed back in the stadium. There were Ed Woodward bon fire chants in the stadium just before Bruno came in when we were rubbish.
Yeah I think that is a very good point but we all know how this board works when it comes to sacking managers, it's either when we are mathematically out of contention to qualify for champions league or the situation gets that bad the players literally down tools on the manager

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Only reason I disagree with you is if its a year on, with a better squad, and he's showing the exact same inconsistencies and flaws in the league, I'd think action would be taken if it looks like we're going nowhere quick, say before christmas perhaps.

But his CL form might be his saving grace this time, because we should be getting out of that group now, probably even winning it.
Yeah, that's another thing, they're never going to sack him while we're still active in the CL.

Actually, I think you just nailed it.

When one of Rashford or Martial doesn't start our win rate goes down to 35% and our goal per game drops from 2.1 to 1.0. It was pretty obvious last season this was a problem and we hoped Greenwood would fix it, but that hasn't happened and Cavani is still nowhere near match sharp. Fact is that if one of Rashford or Martial doesn't start we're very easy to defend against and we shoot less.

It's the usual shit i'm afraid, we go into the Summer desperately needing a forward to help spread out the goals in the team and yet we end up with a 30 year old. This was clear when Lukaku left and yet again clear this summer and the board rather than spending big, go for the short term, budget option. Simply not good enough.
Really? That's quite a significant stat truth be told.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Didn't know he was also out. Ole needs a win otherwise it will get ugly.

TheGame

I’m in the same boat. We need to get some results quickly in the league.

wolvored

I dont get it at all. Former great as a player, will always have a special place in our hearts, but not competent enough. Poor

A poster celebrating if we win our game in hand we will only be 6 points off top. He doesnt realize we have only played 7 games and are already 9 points off top. What a mediocre fanbase accepting this crap
Thats if we win it. There's no guarantee of that.

Last edited:

Cloud7

Look at the upcoming league fixtures.
Unless there's a massive turn around, starting immediately with the next league game, that statistic is going to look much, much worst by Christmas.

November....
Everton - Away
WBA - Home
Southampton - Away

December (not inc. 2 CL & 1 EFL quarter final).....
West Ham - Away
City - Home
Sheffield Utd - Away
Leeds - Home
Leicester - Away
Wolves - Home
We'll drop points in most of these, but you can guarantee we'll beat City because Pep will set up to play right into our hands, and then Ole will be lauded as doing an excellent job. Whoop whoop.

He'sRaldo

It is complicated because random guy on internet has 0 responsibility and it doesn't matter if random guy on internet gets it completely wrong. Random guy on internet comes up with 1000 possible solutions and remembers only the solution that is closer to what's working and forgets the 999 mistakes.

That's not same for manager who should think so many possibilities before making any decision.

Also it's not true that Ole stuck to 1 formation. We played 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 (diamond) last season but played 4-2-3-1 in most games.
Aye that's true. Let's rephrase it as 'i't being made more complicated than it needs to be'.

As for the different formations, Ole does indeed change for what he deems as big games, but by and large 4-2-3-1 has been his go to formation regardless of results.

croadyman

We'll drop points in most of these, but you can guarantee we'll beat City because Pep will set up to play right into our hands, and then Ole will be lauded as doing an excellent job. Whoop whoop.
Yeah just like we saw in December last year against them

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Should top 4 alone be enough to save him this season? Ok great, he's established us as a top 4 team in that instance, but has he really shown enough to convince us he can take us all the way. How many top 4 finishes before we start looking to move to the next level?

He'sRaldo

I'd say its one of two things. Players not doing a good job or as required and manager not up to it tactically. We as external observers have no clue which is which.

We have always switched formations against big teams. Its not because of Spurs that we changed it. Temme this :is it easier to bring the final piece of the jigsaw to complete it or just get a whole new puzzle just because 1 piece didn't fit as expected?
I think it's both the players and manager, but the majority of the blame will (and should) go to the manager as a natural consequence of him being in charge of the players.

As for the formation question, the issue is I don't think Bruno is the final piece to our 4-2-3-1, because we still lack balance with it while playing him. A lot of our players don't seem suited to it unless they're being given very detailed instructions (which doesn't seem likely), and that's why I have problems with it being our main formation.

OrcaFat

Is that a criticism of Pep?

Cloud7

Is that a criticism of Pep?
No it's a statement of fact. Ole and Pep have faced each other 5 times, with Ole winning 3 and Pep 2. Pep sets up his team on the front foot, aggressive, playing their passing game, trying to take the game to his opponent, which is the sort of setup that Ole does well against, because he doesn't need to out think his opponent, just tell the team sit in and try to hit them on the counter.

MrSingh2002

Pochettino is on Sky Sports for a reason.

It's gonna happen. Woodward needs a new man in charge to hide behind.

croadyman

Pochettino is on Sky Sports for a reason.

It's gonna happen. Woodward needs a new man in charge to hide behind.
You can bet Carragher & Jones have been told in no uncertain terms by their bosses not to ask any awkward questions about his future plans though

Status
Not open for further replies.