Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

No it's a statement of fact. Ole and Pep have faced each other 5 times, with Ole winning 3 and Pep 2. Pep sets up his team on the front foot, aggressive, playing their passing game, trying to take the game to his opponent, which is the sort of setup that Ole does well against, because he doesn't need to out think his opponent, just tell the team sit in and try to hit them on the counter.
Yeah underdog Ole is where we do well but when we have to go on the front foot he looks little boy lost

Cloud7

Yeah underdog Ole is where we does well but when we have to go on the front foot he looks little boy lost
Yup. Matches where we're the underdog and we can deploy McFred and tell the team go hit them on the break, things look fine. When we're actually expected to win, more often than not we look devoid of ideas. We rely on moments of individual brilliance in these matches to get results.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’m still behind Ole. Was watching a YouTube video of Rashford’s debut and the squad we had then was shocking. I think some forget where we were before he came in. Ole has done a good job imo, and Rome wasn’t built in a day.

OrcaFat

No it's a statement of fact. Ole and Pep have faced each other 5 times, with Ole winning 3 and Pep 2. Pep sets up his team on the front foot, aggressive, playing their passing game, trying to take the game to his opponent, which is the sort of setup that Ole does well against, because he doesn't need to out think his opponent, just tell the team sit in and try to hit them on the counter.
Yes those are the statistics of the past but, knowing that, why would any sensible coach set up in a way he knows results in defeat, again? Is that what you mean? Is Pep losing it?

croadyman

I’m still behind Ole. Was watching a YouTube video of Rashford’s debut and the squad we had then was shocking. I think some forget where we were before he came in. Ole has done a good job imo, and Rome wasn’t built in a day.
He is counter attack central but will credit him for improving the squad at least, yes it wasn't built in a day but Klopp has been given time because he showed even in the early days of his reign that he had a style of play and could see what he's trying to do

Cloud7

Yes those are the statistics of the past but, knowing that, why would any sensible coach set up in a way he knows results in defeat, again? Is that what you mean? Is Pep losing it?
I'm not sure what point you're trying to get at here? Pep is an idealist. Pep plays the same way no matter what the occasion or the opposition. He will most likely set up in the way that he usually does.

Greck

Ole has improved the team no doubt but the building of rome didn't start with him. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood were already at the club. Bruno was the core addition that was brought during his tenure. Matic, Pogba, Mctominay and others are here by the effort of his predecessors. We'll be fine without him if we so choose to go in a different direction

bleedred

Exactly. We were 2nd.

VivaRonaldo85

I think we’d be so much better with this set of players if Brendan Rodgers was our coach/manager. He is miles ahead of Ole as a football coach. The same principal applies with Pochettino. Poch would come now, don’t think Rodgers would. This is a post from my head, not heart.

el3mel

Pep is a systematic manager rather than a pragmatic tactician. He has a certain system and he'll keep playing it no matter how the opposition is playing. We had a similar manager like this in LVG, he was playing exactly the same system, doesn't change anything regardless of the opponent, though his system was dogshite. Pep is the same, but his system is better of course.

croadyman

I think we’d be so much better with this set of players if Brendan Rodgers was our coach/manager. He is miles ahead of Ole as a football coach. The same principal applies with Pochettino. Poch would come now, don’t think Rodgers would. This is a post from my head, not heart.
Obviously your heart doesn't want him to go then I would presume

OrcaFat

I'm not sure what point you're trying to get at here? Pep is an idealist. Pep plays the same way no matter what the occasion or the opposition. He will most likely set up in the way that he usually does.
Oh I see, yes, sorry.

But that’s a criticism of sorts isn’t it? If he chooses not to adapt if that’s what it takes to win? I mean just as another way of looking at it. His ideal is commendable but not very canny.

As an aside, I wonder how he would do with our squad? Top 4. Pass the service revolver.

VivaRonaldo85

Obviously your heart doesn't want him to go then I would presume
Not really and would love him to be a massive success and take us back to the top but head has to rule over heart always. There’s no room for sentiment at this level.

r0663664

Worships Man City
If Ole is that great, clubs will be waiting for his available like Pep and Klopp. Frank Lampard and Arteta are newbie manager. Ole is not new, he has manage Cardiff and Molde with some experience under his belt. He knows the league and yet we are giving him a free pass like he is a newbie. He is not!!! He should be sack and probably has the best odds to be sack. I am still wondering why he is still here. Stop the excuses! We need results and not just accepting failure.

Cloud7

Oh I see, yes, sorry.

But that’s a criticism of sorts isn’t it? If he chooses not to adapt if that’s what it takes to win? I mean just as another way of looking at it. His ideal is commendable but not very canny.

As an aside, I wonder how he would do with our squad? Top 4. Pass the service revolver.
It's a tough one to be honest. It has to be viewed from all angles, and I'll preface this by saying that Pep is my favorite manager in world football. I love his brand of football and he's been my favorite since SAF retired.

By and large, his football has worked everywhere he's went, and he's been successful with it everywhere he's went, including breaking the points record in English football. I'm not a big fan of 'pragmatic' managers. For me football is about entertainment first and results second. A manager that goes out there and tries to win the match on his terms, playing his football, regardless of the opposition, will always be someone I support more than someone that changes on a game by game basis to adapt to the opposition, without having a clear defined idea of what their team should be. Pep most likely would have won more had he been more willing to compromise his ideals, but you know what, I can't fault him for that.

With our squad as it is now, I can't say. Our squad isn't built for possession football, as we haven't had a possession based manager since Vangle, so it's a difficult question to answer since our squad was constructed differently. I have no doubt he would improve our players, and the football would be much more entertaining than it is now, but as to how good we would be, it's impossible to say.

On the other hand, this crop of players would win the league under Klopp. I am convinced of that.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Hate having to be Ole in or Ole out.
Also hate the knee jerk stuff after each game. After Leipzig it was all rosy then 1 game later....
He took us to 3rd last season after a disappointing start. Could easily happen again.
Ultimately if we fail to make top 4 he will be gone at the end of the season. Only way he goes mid season is if we are in total freefall.

croadyman

Hate having to be Ole in or Ole out.
Also hate the knee jerk stuff after each game. After Leipzig it was all rosy then 1 game later....
He took us to 3rd last season after a disappointing start. Could easily happen again.
Ultimately if we fail to make top 4 he will be gone at the end of the season. Only way he goes mid season is if we are in total freefall.
Never been all rosy for me because my stance on Ole has been the same since he first got appointed permanently

croadyman

Not really and would love him to be a massive success and take us back to the top but head has to rule over heart always. There’s no room for sentiment at this level.
Yeah best to just accept that we aren't going back to the top with him in charge or under this ownership either

OrcaFat

It's a tough one to be honest. It has to be viewed from all angles, and I'll preface this by saying that Pep is my favorite manager in world football. I love his brand of football and he's been my favorite since SAF retired.

By and large, his football has worked everywhere he's went, and he's been successful with it everywhere he's went, including breaking the points record in English football. I'm not a big fan of 'pragmatic' managers. For me football is about entertainment first and results second. A manager that goes out there and tries to win the match on his terms, playing his football, regardless of the opposition, will always be someone I support more than someone that changes on a game by game basis to adapt to the opposition, without having a clear defined idea of what their team should be. Pep most likely would have won more had he been more willing to compromise his ideals, but you know what, I can't fault him for that.

With our squad as it is now, I can't say. Our squad isn't built for possession football, as we haven't had a possession based manager since Vangle, so it's a difficult question to answer since our squad was constructed differently. I have no doubt he would improve our players, and the football would be much more entertaining than it is now, but as to how good we would be, it's impossible to say.

On the other hand, this crop of players would win the league under Klopp. I am convinced of that.
Interesting thoughts. I like Pep too.

I don’t think Pep or Klopp would tolerate half our players but would approach the problem in different ways. Pep would clear out the players that don’t fit his method. I think Klopp would look at the players and develop a method that would suit them, but I think he would still end up replacing half the squad in the end.

The shame is we’ll never find out. We’ll end up with a manager who is, after all, not very good. (We‘ve basically only ever had two good managers.)

Cloud7

Interesting thoughts. I like Pep too.

I don’t think Pep or Klopp would tolerate half our players but would approach the problem in different ways. Pep would clear out the players that don’t fit his method. I think Klopp would look at the players and develop a method that would suit them, but I think he would still end up replacing half the squad in the end.

The shame is we’ll never find out. We’ll end up with a manager who is, after all, not very good. (We‘ve basically only ever had two good managers.)
If we were to get a manager like Pep, I feel like the board would approach things differently. They would give Pep what he wanted, like they did Jose. They would know the conditions upon which a manager like him joins our club. I definitely think Klopp would get a lot out of our squad, as this is, IMO, the best squad we've had in the post SAF era.

Also, the bolded bit is a point that I can't stop stressing over and over and over. When people say 'we can't keep sacking managers and moving them on' I have to point to the fact that United as a club is built on the back of exactly two successful managers, with a load of not very good ones in between. Thus, we are the perfect example of how you do in fact need to keep hiring and firing managers until you find the right one.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ole since Bruno's arrival:

Win: 21
Draw: 7
Loss: 5
This cherry picking periods are really annoying. Ole against Pep, Ole against big six, Ole after covid and now Ole since Bruno arrival.
Lets just use either his whole reign or what is the most important; current PL season.
Six games; two wins, one draw, 3 losses (all at home). Negative GD. 15th on PL table. All that after 2 years in charge and 300 mil spent

Foxbatt

Any top class manager would get better from this team. Surely no one here really believes that Ole Gunnar is a top class manager? Nothing he has done shows he is. People say he got 3rd place with this team. Any top manager would be challenging for trophies with this team. We barely scraped to 3rd place because Leicester imploded. They do not have even half the squad we have.

croadyman

Any top class manager would get better from this team. Surely no one here really believes that Ole Gunnar is a top class manager? Nothing he has done shows he is. People say he got 3rd place with this team. Any top manager would be challenging for trophies with this team. We barely scraped to 3rd place because Leicester imploded. They do not have even half the squad we have.
Yeah there is no doubt Leicester's implosion saved Ole from the sack

Mainoldo

Maybe we can do a Liverpool thing. We seem to be copying ever previous mistake they made anyway. So let’s appoint Poch, keep Ole and just let Ole manage the Champs league games until the Quarters and have his input in the January transfer window.

Win win for all our supporters. We will finally have unity :)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He is counter attack central but will credit him for improving the squad at least, yes it wasn't built in a day but Klopp has been given time because he showed even in the early days of his reign that he had a style of play and could see what he's trying to do
That works for Klopp and Liverpool, and it’s trendy to have a style of play these days, granted. But that doesn’t mean we need to have a definitive way of playing and rigidly stick to it come what may. It seems to me Ole wants us to be adaptable, tweaking us to suit the needs of the game rather than just stubbornly sticking to his philosophy no matter what. I like that some games we counter, some we press etc depending on the opposition.

United fans demanding a progressive style of play seems a fairly recent thing, as far as I can see. Under Sir Alex, what was it? Playing with wingers, fast tempo, occasionally we’d counter, sometimes we’d dominate possession etc. It varied, and we never really had a definitive style that was easily identifiable. I guess that’s why it’s called “the United way”, because it’s just the collective name for doing all that. It’s not a style of play really, more a mentality. I’m willing to wait and see if Ole can implement that.
Ole has improved the team no doubt but the building of rome didn't start with him. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood were already at the club. Bruno was the core addition that was brought during his tenure. Matic, Pogba, Mctominay and others are here by the effort of his predecessors. We'll be fine without him if we so choose to go in a different direction
Perhaps, but who else is there worth binning him off for? The one thing that stood out for me looking back 3-4 years was the lack of consistency running through the club. Mercenaries aplenty, flops everywhere, nothing seemed permanent. That’s all changed now.
Exactly. We were 2nd.
We were? I thought we were about 9th and on a dangerous downward spiral.

redshaw

Odd thing with Ole is he has these long boom bust cycles throughout his time here, it's difficult to stick by him or even get a sense of where we're going or when will the bust run end.

PoTMS

One of these days, we will decide to hire a proper manager and stop competing with one arm behind our back.

croadyman

That works for Klopp and Liverpool, and it’s trendy to have a style of play these days, granted. But that doesn’t mean we need to have a definitive way of playing and rigidly stick to it come what may. It seems to me Ole wants us to be adaptable, tweaking us to suit the needs of the game rather than just stubbornly sticking to his philosophy no matter what. I like that some games we counter, some we press etc depending on the opposition.

United fans demanding a progressive style of play seems a fairly recent thing, as far as I can see. Under Sir Alex, what was it? Playing with wingers, fast tempo, occasionally we’d counter, sometimes we’d dominate possession etc. It varied, and we never really had a definitive style that was easily identifiable. I guess that’s why it’s called “the United way”, because it’s just the collective name for doing all that. It’s not a style of play really, more a mentality. I’m willing to wait and see if Ole can implement that.

Perhaps, but who else is there worth binning him off for? The one thing that stood out for me looking back 3-4 years was the lack of consistency running through the club. Mercenaries aplenty, flops everywhere, nothing seemed permanent. That’s all changed now.

You will be waiting a long time because he hasn't got the tactical nous or coaching acumen to do anything but play counter attack and hope Bruno scores a worldie to keep him in his job a little bit longer

Denis79

We have

De Gea 30 years old
Bruno 26 years old
Martial 25 years old
Rashford 23 years old
Fred 27 years old
Maguire 27 years old
Lindelof 26 years old
Shaw 25 years old
AWB 23 years old
Scott 24 years old
Telles 27 years old

All these are at their prime at the moment or just about to start it. All are ranging from good to great players.

We also have from the old players Matic (32) and Cavani (33) with good contribution from the bench.

And from the youngsters we have Greenwood (19), an exceptional talent.

Now let's forget a little bit about the manager, what exactly does this squad miss to just, I mean just, mount a close title challenge ? 4 years or so from now on, several of our best players like Bruno or Martial will be close to 30 and their prime will be close to come to an end. What's the perfect time for these lot to win something big ?

Everything points to it being NOW. Within the next 2-3 years at least. Otherwise it'll be a waste, simply. Liverpool and City aren't as strong as they were the previous few seasons, and in no time they'll start entering the "rebuild phase" themselves.

So when we'll stop being content with just top 4 and "transitional period" and start thinking "yeah that's enough, time to win the big prizes in football" ?
Who ever is next in line for the manager position will have a lot of pressure on him. People can say whatever they want but Ole is not under the same scrutiny as the previous managers post SAF.

croadyman

Who ever is next in line for the manager position will have a lot of pressure on him. People can say whatever they want but Ole is not under the same scrutiny as the previous managers post SAF.
Yeah because his time as a player at the club is buying him a free pass with many of the fanbase

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
You will be waiting a long time because he hasn't got the tactical nous or coaching acumen to do anything but play counter attack and hope Bruno scores a worldie to keep him in his job a little bit longer
:lol: Do you have a bet ongoing with someone about how often you can post similar stuff in this thread tonight? Give it a rest for a day and just try to relax a bit!

croadyman

:lol: Do you have a bet ongoing with someone about how often you can post similar stuff in this thread tonight? Give it a rest for a day and just try to relax a bit!
Won't be relaxing until we get a manager in place who can cope when a team is pressing them constantly

Greck

There are many managers I'd bin him for. When people say "who else would replace Ole?" they need to realise it's a very subjective question. I could pull a long list of candidates you might not like

Denis79

Yeah because his time as a player at the club is buying him a free pass with many of the fanbase
His history at the club helps but Mourinho going ape-shit at the end also plays a huge role. In my opinion this is the season he should be judged like all before him. He's had a good full season to implement his football, brought in his own players and the squad is more than capable to make top 4. If he makes it he should stay. If not, then adios like all the rest.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
In the league, Win 10 wins, 5 draws, 3 loss. 35 points from 54. 1,9 point/game, i.e mediocre. Very mediocre.
Huh? Bruno arrived on the 29th January. We've played 20 league games since then and recorded 11 wins, 6 draws and 3 losses. 1.95 points per game which is the 3rd highest in the league.

Liverpool on 2.18, City on 2.00, United on 1.95, Spurs on 1.86. It's not mediocre given the circumstances, far from it.

croadyman

His history at the club helps but Mourinho going ape-shit at the end also plays a huge role. In my opinion this is the season he should be judged like all before him. He's had a good full season to implement his football, brought in his own players and the squad is more than capable to make top 4. If he makes it he should stay. If not, then adios like all the rest.
I am not comfortable with him staying even if we get top 4 because his lacking of coaching acumen is an ongoing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.