Would you take Mbappe if given the chance?

Swordsman

Title says it all: Imagine new owner comes in and promises to bring Mbappe to Old Trafford as a statement signing, would you take him?

Mbappe would instill fear in the PL defenders. But he may come with certain baggage like huge salary, big ego and extreme scrutiny from the press. Would we be ready to accommodate all of that to have Mbappe on the starting lineup?

Would he be a disruption in the dressing room (Sanchez, Ronaldo…etc) or he would form a lethal partnership with Rashford (The modern York-Cole)? Which way will it swing?

Don't have a crystal ball to give you a definite answer. It could go either way. I still think he is worth the risk to gamble on. Right now he is the best player among the younger footballers.

Bert_

In pure footballing terms then you know the answer.

As an overall package, the last thing we need is him undermining Ten Hag and turning us back into a circus.

Chief123

Title says it all: Imagine new owner comes in and promises to bring Mbappe to Old Trafford as a statement signing, would you take him?

Mbappe would instill fear in the PL defenders. But he may come with certain baggage like huge salary, big ego and extreme scrutiny from the press. Would we be ready to accommodate all of that to have Mbappe on the starting lineup?

Would he be a disruption in the dressing room (Sanchez, Ronaldo…etc) or he would form a lethal partnership with Rashford (The modern York-Cole)? Which way will it swing?

Without a shadow of a doubt. Whatever baggage he comes with, you take him and accept it. Some players you ignore everything bad and embrace the good they bring.

bringbackbebe

Only PSG, Madrid & City can/will afford him. Think Mbappe joining City next year & Bellingham this year. Frightening prospect of linking up with Haaland and KDB. They're set for the next decade if they can manage that.

Bert_

Without a shadow of a doubt. Whatever baggage he comes with, you take him and accept it. Some players you ignore everything bad and embrace the good they bring.
Like Pogba and Ronaldo? If Ferigie was still in charge then sure. No one was bigger than him. Hopefully in time Ten Hag will have that same authority and gravitas that it becomes a non issue. Until then, last thing we need are players thinking they are doing us a favour by playing here.

mshnsh

Best player on the planet right now and the scouse would hate it. Sign him up but never ever happening.
Has actually been underwhelming for PSG this season. People are basing that status of the bpitw on one game in which he was anonymous for 80 minutes than score 2 penalties and 1very good goal. I'm the tournament as a whole, he was poor in the quarters, semis and in the final upto the penalty.

But his quality is undeniable and would be a perfect fit for the pace and physicality of the PL. Very well suited to vertical football too.

Last edited:

Raveneye

No player can be bigger than the team. Not Mbappe. Not prime Ronaldo. Not sure Mbappe would be able to leave the circus out and accept discipline if late for a team meeting. If he could, then of course.

Glorio

Answer is not as cut and dry as the "yes" crew believe.
Obviously a world class player, no question. If his attitude is wrong though, could undermine all the progress made in this team

And the context provided by the OP is interesting as well, the owners sign him with zero input from ETH. Who will actually hold the authority in thr dressing room?
The manager has to have 100% authority when it comes to dealing with the players. If anything undermines that, it's a firm no from me

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Doesn’t he prefer playing off the left? I would take him in a heartbeat but either he or Rashford would have to go through the middle and I don’t think either really suit that role in the ETH system.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d love an haaland vs Mbappe derby. Mbappe and rashford would be very frightening.

Telsim

Only PSG, Madrid & City can/will afford him. Think Mbappe joining City next year & Bellingham this year. Frightening prospect of linking up with Haaland and KDB. They're set for the next decade if they can manage that.
We will be able to afford everything with Qatari owners. We will be unstoppable.

HisNameIsEarl

Answer is not as cut and dry as the "yes" crew believe.
Obviously a world class player, no question. If his attitude is wrong though, could undermine all the progress made in this team

And the context provided by the OP is interesting as well, the owners sign him with zero input from ETH. Who will actually hold the authority in thr dressing room?
The manager has to have 100% authority when it comes to dealing with the players. If anything undermines that, it's a firm no from me
Point is, any context is left to the readers imagination, so we all make different assumptions. Are we talking 'for free/sponsored by sugar daddy'? Or rather a 'deal consumes ressources that could be used better and blocks other developments' scenario? The opener doesn't provide any information, so everyone makes their own assumptions and any discussion is daft, as its talking about completely different scenarios.

Chief123

Like Pogba and Ronaldo? If Ferigie was still in charge then sure. No one was bigger than him. Hopefully in time Ten Hag will have that same authority and gravitas that it becomes a non issue. Until then, last thing we need are players thinking they are doing us a favour by playing here.
Pogba and Ronaldo were not Mbappe level when we signed them. Mbappe is the best player in the world right now.

stepic

So why bother responding? That’s even more bewildering
because I want it to be known that asking whether you’d take the best player in the world is a dumb question

‘would you take prime maradona? I mean he’s got an ego and he’d ask for a fair bit of money…’

zaafi

Pogba and Ronaldo were not Mbappe level when we signed them. Mbappe is the best player in the world right now.
So he should be able to do whatever he wants? He has fallen out with team mates several times, publicly criticised the manager's tactics, refusing to pass the ball to certain players because they're not on good terms and a player who every other day isolates himself from many of his team mates during trainings. I would absolutely love to see him play here, but it is understandable that people have questions regarding him and wouldn't "fit" with the professionals like Bruno, Licha, Casemiro, Rashford, Malacia and the kind of squad Ten Hag are looking to build. I'm not saying he isn't a professional, but some of his antics and the power he has is strange.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
Absolutely not, would destroy squad unity and undermine ten hag very quickly.

He’s an amazing package but I think within 6 months we would perform worst with him in the team

KeanoMagicHat

You might as well ask ‘would you like your team to win the league?’ Yes, of course.

zaafi

You might as well ask ‘would you like your team to win the league?’ Yes, of course.
So you’d rather the team was worse and win less?
First of all, PSG, the most dominant side in France with both Neymar and Mbappé, lost the title to fecking Lille two years ago, and Premier League is a lot tougher to win so it's not really that simple. "Buy this player and we win the league".

Klopp won Premier League and Champions League with the likes of Henderson and Fabinho and you know what Sir Alex Ferguson did. Building a winning squad doesn't necessarily mean getting every single elite player in every possible position.

jem

because I want it to be known that asking whether you’d take the best player in the world is a dumb question

‘would you take prime maradona? I mean he’s got an ego and he’d ask for a fair bit of money…’
So you’re n add li

then give your opinion, rather than just pleading for the thread to be closed. Stop the attention seeking.

Fahad Jawaid

What sort of stupid question is that? Its like asking me would you take Margot Robbie. We are in a dire need of a CF, our current CF is a sicknote. Whereas, if we get a chance to get the sign the best CF and arguably the best player in the world at the moment, would we take him.

The problem is convincing him, he is a big Ronaldo fan boy and wants to be at Madrid, the manner and the lengths they had to go to convince him to stay in Paris, despite him being French and at the biggest club in France, makes me think we will not have any chance to sign him.

stepic

So you’re n add li
then give your opinion, rather than just pleading for the thread to be closed. Stop the attention seeking.
a savvy reader may well deduce the opinion of someone asking for the thread to be closed

Red_Aaron

We've good characters in the squad now
Varane, Casemiro, Bruno even Shaw wouldn't be taking his shit and with Dalot, Antony, Rashford and Sancho similar ages / profiles I think we could keep him in check

The key would probably be the new owners not filling him full of extra influence and the manager being given the power to exert control. Look at how ETH handled Ronaldo and I'm positive we could get him concentrating on the pitch. He's an absolutely devastating player

I'm going to go as far as to say if the qataris do take over I think this will actually happen

antk

So he should be able to do whatever he wants? He has fallen out with team mates several times, publicly criticised the manager's tactics, refusing to pass the ball to certain players because they're not on good terms and a player who every other day isolates himself from many of his team mates during trainings. I would absolutely love to see him play here, but it is understandable that people have questions regarding him and wouldn't "fit" with the professionals like Bruno, Licha, Casemiro, Rashford, Malacia and the kind of squad Ten Hag are looking to build. I'm not saying he isn't a professional, but some of his antics and the power he has is strange.
Where is this coming from again? Who has he fallen out with? When has he refused to play with some teammates?

How are you believing any of this?

zaafi

Where is this coming from again? Who has he fallen out with? When has he refused to play with some teammates?

How are you believing any of this?
What is it that you don't understand with publicly? It's out there. It's his quotes. Neymar, Sergio Ramos, Marquinhos to name a few. He refused to pass the ball to Neymar because he had a beef with him on several occasions because he would rather score himself. Even at 5-0, that's something you don't do, but when you're chasing a goal that's madness. In the end, it doesn't matter because Ligue 1 is a one-team league. Do you even follow the league? Because it's hard to believe you do if you're not familiar with any of this.