Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So apparently Conte is out of the running. We've briefed the media that we're not interested.

Rodgers is being touted as a potential replacement. Poch was yesterday's candidate #1.

So far complete radio silence on Ten Hag which might actually be a good thing.

I think our board is waiting to see how he performs in Europe.
If we are then we’ll be stood holding our limp dick again while Barcelona swoop in. He’s already shown how good he is in Europe.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we are then we’ll be stood holding our limp dick again while Barcelona swoop in. He’s already shown how good he is in Europe.
Unless I've missed an update since, Barca have confirmed they've made contact with Xavi regarding the vacant role.

Blood Mage

I can't shake the feeling that he's just another flavour of the month. I'm kind of surprised that he's so many United fans' no.1 pick.

2 man midfield

Unless I've missed an update since, Barca have confirmed they've made contact with Xavi regarding the vacant role.
True, I’d forgotten about that. I just don’t see what we’d be hesitant about. Not that he’d come now anyway.

2 man midfield

I can't shake the feeling that he's just another flavour of the month. I'm kind of surprised that he's so many United fans' no.1 pick.
I think he basically ticks every box whereas Conte, Zidane and the like tick just a few.

- Young-ish, up and coming
- would likely stay for the long term
- speaks English
- plays attractive football
- promotes youth
- actually coaches his football players

I guess Conte has PL proven on his CV but Ten Hag has won honours too. I know some are put off because he’d cost a fee, but he’d get the best out of Van De Beek - that’s 35m saved for a start.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
True, I’d forgotten about that. I just don’t see what we’d be hesitant about. Not that he’d come now anyway.
God knows.

Every option comes with some potential risk, it's just a matter of which we want to take. In Ten Hag's case the risk is whether he makes the step up from Ajax to a giant club, which is fair. And I could understand the club opting for someone like Conte ahead of him, as they might prioritise having that proven track record and prefer to take the different risk that Conte comes with instead. But I can't imagine why you'd opt for someone like Rodgers ahead of Ten Hag given we've already seen Rodgers fail to make that same step up to a bigger club.

2 man midfield

God knows.

Every option comes with some potential risk, it's just a matter of which we want to take. In Ten Hag's case the risk is whether he makes the step up from Ajax to a giant club, which is fair. And I could understand the club opting for someone like Conte ahead of him, as they might prioritise having that proven track record and prefer to take the different risk that Conte comes with instead. But I can't imagine why you'd opt for someone like Rodgers ahead of Ten Hag given we've already seen Rodgers fail to make that same step up to a bigger club.
Exactly this. Basically, Conte or Ten Hag and I’m happy. The other options leave a lot to be desired, for me.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fabrizio Romano now saying that ten Hag is appreciated by the United board along with Pochettino and Rodgers. It seems like it's gonna be a choice between Rodgers and ten Hag.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Can't even beat Heracles. Ajax should sack this fraud.
Two wins and you're just a point behind on the league, with a much worse team. Would United fans take Slot? Wanna create the thread?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Two wins and you're just a point behind on the league, with a much worse team. Would United fans take Slot? Wanna create the thread?
Slot's a better football coach than Ole purely based on vision and tactical acumen. He's a nobody though. Imagine him saying he Ronaldo man, that was not so good hey. Come ff wisseling.

It would be glorious though. Arne Slot at United. His style of bald is better than Ten Hag's too

Caesar2290

Since Conte is out of the picture, we better do whatever it takes to get this man on board.

Infra-red

Since Conte is out of the picture, we better do whatever it takes to get this man on board.
If by "do whatever it takes" you mean completely ignore him, keep Ole until the end of the season then and hire Rodgers instead, then yes, that's exactly what we will do!

Caesar2290

If by "do whatever it takes" you mean completely ignore him, keep Ole until the end of the season then and hire Rodgers instead, then yes, that's exactly what we will do!
It's not like we can get him any sooner. The lack of interim managers kind of forced our board to stick with Ole. They were ready to sack him until they saw Conte's demands. We could get Rodgers right now. The man would jump ship before you'd shout all aboard. But we haven't gotten him, so that implies that he's used like red herring to draw the fans/journos attention from our actual target.

Considering that only Poch and Ten Hag aren't gettable till the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised that one of the 2 is our leading candidate. Question is, which one?

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
It's not like we can get him any sooner. The lack of interim managers kind of forced our board to stick with Ole. They were ready to sack him until they saw Conte's demands. We could get Rodgers right now. The man would jump ship before you'd shout all aboard. But we haven't gotten him, so that implies that he's used like red herring to draw the fans/journos attention from our actual target.

Considering that only Poch and Ten Hag aren't gettable till the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised that one of the 2 is our leading candidate. Question is, which one?
Definitely Poch. Don’t do this to yourself.

passing-wind

Ten Hag will join Barca in the summer and it will leave us with either Rodgers or a freshly sacked Poch. Take your pick. :wenger:
Depends how Poch is sacked and if it happens will it deplete his character ? Consider that Tuchel was sacked and at being appointed to Chelsea immediately he hit the ground running. I think the feeling with Tuchel however is he was grossly underrated on the forum and seems like a meticulous manager. Like he studies the game and implores his own perspective drilling his team's with definitive instructions and has the winning mentality to go alongside it. Tuchel for me being on the market is like Klopp being unemployed. It's not so much that those managers are sacked but more a point of opportunity for the clubs hiring them.

Tuchel, Pep and Klopp all have this value aspect that when you hire them your hiring the personification of value in management. I'm unsure if Poch fits this category.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Best hope Xavi goes to Barca, Poch holds on at PSG and Ajax go on such a good run in the CL that even the guys running our club can't miss that Ten Hag is the obvious candidate left.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Surely we can’t be planning 3 or so years down the line, we must have learnt that by now. I’m not against Ten Haag but don’t think we can make that assumption.
We do. Klopp and Pep will not be replaced by managers of the same standard. Nor will their best players. We can wait 2 years, sign top young players and be ready. Better that than the disjointed Chelsea boom and bust model.

Caesar2290

Depends how Poch is sacked and if it happens will it deplete his character ? Consider that Tuchel was sacked and at being appointed to Chelsea immediately he hit the ground running. I think the feeling with Tuchel however is he was grossly underrated on the forum and seems like a meticulous manager. Like he studies the game and implores his own perspective drilling his team's with definitive instructions and has the winning mentality to go alongside it. Tuchel for me being on the market is like Klopp being unemployed. It's not so much that those managers are sacked but more a point of opportunity for the clubs hiring them.

Tuchel, Pep and Klopp all have this value aspect that when you hire them your hiring the personification of value in management. I'm unsure if Poch fits this category.
Ten Hag is in the exact same mould, but apparently he's 51 and manages in Eredevise so according to caf he's the next Martin Jol.

Sviken

Tuchel was a victim of PSG's ridiculous expectations of their manager. Poch is indeed not performing to expectations given the club he is coaching, so there would be legitimacy in sacking him. And that's what worries me.

Heinzesight

Had a horrible thought that we have a done deal for Ten Hag at the end of the season…then Pep announces he’s leaving a year early and City end up signing ETH up summer ‘22. One bald bastard in, one out.

croadyman

Listen I would definitely prefer appointing him to Rodgers, however not going to judge the guy on his scouse past like many have. Mind you one of my quiz mates who is a big Utd fan has heard from his sources up there that Brendan has apparently been promised the City job when Pep leaves.

croadyman

We do. Klopp and Pep will not be replaced by managers of the same standard. Nor will their best players. We can wait 2 years, sign top young players and be ready. Better that than the disjointed Chelsea boom and bust model.
Jeez you must have the patience of a saint which is admirable

Caesar2290

Any of them is an improvement on our currently awful euphoric 2019 appointment
You're right, but personally I'm burnt out on the appointing competent and proven yet not quiet good enough managers. Those 2 definitely fall into that category.

This is why I would personally go for Ten Hag>Enrique>Potter in that order.

I want some new ideas. I want to feel excited watching United again. And of course win some trophies while doing so.

newgiz

Any of them is an improvement on our currently awful euphoric 2019 appointment
That is not the benchmark though is it?

We need someone who can compete against Klopp,Pep,Tuchel and Conte. I can't see how Rodgers fits that profile.

Redfrog

We can wait until their owners have no money as well.
Sounds like a great plan. Sacrifice the present for an uncertain future.

Green Arrow

I would take him but my question is he has a structure at Ajax he has Overmars and VDS working with him to get players through and identify new ones. If he were to come to Utd he won't have that kind of structure and working with Woodward/Arnold will be hard so I think he will find it hard here.

Coops73

I would take him but my question is he has a structure at Ajax he has Overmars and VDS working with him to get players through and identify new ones. If he were to come to Utd he won't have that kind of structure and working with Woodward/Arnold will be hard so I think he will find it hard here.
Yeah, if the glazers go for him they need to at the very least bring VDS over too and if that was to happen we may start to see something akin to a plan being implemented for the club and it’s future but….

Status
Not open for further replies.