g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Would you want Ronaldo back?

Would you want Ronaldo back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedRover

I can't see this happening.

Even if he's ready to leave Madrid, I'm not sure the PL is an attractive move. He's getting older, he will get less resilient as a result and the PL, whatever you say about quality, is physically tough.

I could be wrong but I don't think you'd see a goal a game from him here. I'm not sure coming here and his production going down is good for the brand.

Whether we should go for him is another question I suppose. If he's anywhere near the player he's been at Real the last couple of years he'll obviously improve us. I suppose it depends on what we had planned before all this kicked off and whether long term that might be the better option.

Michael John Doyle

What Ronaldo achieved at Manchester United was nothing short of remarkable. From 2003 to 2009 he went from unknown quantity to worlds most expensive player. 3 league titles, 08 Champions league winner, Ballon d'or etc etc, won all there was to win and moved on to his "dream" club Madrid. Fair play to him he put off his transfer fee for a season and got us a record fee.... good man Ronnie, sad to see you go but its what u wanted, thanks for the memories. Made mercurial strides at Madrid breaking all sorts of milestones that very few will ever reach never mind break.... Shur we knew you would do that you were rared by Sir Alex himself, but what gets my goat is every time the summer came or the end of a contract was near he spoke about his love for Manchester and how he adored its fans, he used his status with us as leverage against Madrid which has seen his wages go from £183k a week in 2009 to £365k on his current contract until 2021. Quite the jump when you consider his deal with Nike etc. Sergio Ramos & Dani Alves done the same, but they aren't club legends. One would have to wonder that after seeing what kind of money we have (Richest club in the world $3billion) and the Spanish Tax Authorities looking for close to £14 million in unpaid taxes, have i one more mega payday left?

If he really wanted back to Manchester unpaid taxes shouldn't be the reason he decides to put on a red shirt again, or for another payday. You either love the club or if not go be a mercenary with PSG or a club in China for $$$.

Sereques

Or a piano could fall on his head the min he signs..? Did you out think Shaw or Rojo would do their ligaments at their age well under 30?

There's the same chance Rashford could do his ligaments than Ronaldo ..you can't say we won't sign any player over 30 in case they get injured

Ronaldo is the best player in the world... he works like a dog to prolong his career and stay on top as long as he can

If there's any chance of bringing him back of course we should take it we would be mad not too
Yes but if Rashford does his ligaments, you can be sure they will heal, he will go into rehab and be back playing. That is a horse you can back. The same cannot be said for a player over 30 regardless of the player's status. The ligaments in Ronaldo's legs are not aware they belongs to the best player in the world? How many metatarsal did Rooney get in his career? Do you think if Rooney should get a metatarsal injury now, he will be back with a bang months down the line?

In a business like this you can't put 200M Euros into a player of that age just in case such event may happen. Honestly, only a fool will pay 200M Euros for Ronaldo.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The purely economical side of a (hypothetical) Ronaldo transfer doesn't seem to be a factor at all to those who'd eagerly take him. Perhaps rightly so, what do I know, but still – we're owned by people who do care about money, rich as the club may be.

Real Madrid will fleece us to the max on a Ronaldo deal. There's no reason on earth why they wouldn't. And he's currently on four hundred big ones per week – after tax. I doubt he'd be willing to take a pay cut to play for his “first love”, but perhaps I'm being too unkind.

That's likely more money – much more money – than we have ever spent on a transfer + wages. And we'd be spending it on a 32 year old player. Who will need a first rate cast supporting him in order to maintain the sort of output people seemingly expect from him. Do we have that cast? Or do we have to spend even more (who knows how much more) in order to assemble it?

Would Ronaldo score to Zlatan's tune at United without us upgrading the supporting cast (to use that term again, but it's appropriate)? Not an unreasonable assumption, I suppose – although it would obviously depend on precisely how he is deployed. People mention the possibility of playing him as a #9 – but that would be an experiment. We don't know how well he'd do in that capacity, that's speculation – the reasonable assumption would be that he'd be played as a wide forward, similar to his Real role. And that role demands – again – a certain cast around him. We don't have anything comparable to Real's central midfield (crucial for building up the sort of attacks Ronaldo finishes off). We don't have anyone comparable to Benzema. We don't have anything close to an attacking LB of Marcelo's calibre. And so forth.

Lastly, people bring Zlatan up, which hardly seems relevant to me. He came on a free, for one thing. And his wages pale in comparison to what Ronaldo would likely demand. And, to be honest, in order to justify what would likely be a truly insane outlay - you'd expect more from Ronaldo than matching Zlatan's contribution. He'd have to chip in with something close to his Madrid numbers in order for us to conclude that such an outlay truly makes sense - not least if we compare it to the Zlatan transfer (a player on high - but significantly lower than Ronaldo's - wages but with no transfer fee). And, I would add, a player who was very far from "guaranteeing" us anything in terms of end product, results wise.

The Glazers aren't muppets. The club is loaded but there will be a line beyond which certain moves aren't fiscally responsible, and they obviously won't cross that line. We don't know where it's drawn.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes but if Rashford does his ligaments, you can be sure they will heal, he will go into rehab and be back playing. That is a horse you can back. The same cannot be said for a player over 30 regardless of the player's status. The ligaments in Ronaldo's legs are not aware they belongs to the best player in the world? How many metatarsal did Rooney get in his career? Do you think if Rooney should get a metatarsal injury now, he will be back with a bang months down the line?

In a business like this you can't put 200M Euros into a player of that age just in case such event may happen. Honestly, only a fool will pay 200M Euros for Ronaldo.
You most certainly can if it's Ronaldo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Feck it I'm doing it and making no apologies either

--------------De Gea--------------
Valencia--Bailly--Lindelof--Blind
-------Herrera------Pogba-------
Mata------Mkhitaryan------Ronaldo
-------------Rashford-------------

:drool::drool::drool:

Red Star One

Feck it I'm doing it and making no apologies either

Valencia--Bailly--Lindelof--Blind
-------Herrera------Pogba-------
Mata------Mkhitaryan------Ronaldo
-------------Rashford-------------

:drool::drool::drool:
I'd rather...

Valencia-Bailly-Lindelof-Darmian
----------------DM-----------------
-------Herrera------Pogba--------
Mkhi---------------------Rashford
-------------Ronaldo---------------

Sereques

Only Ronaldo lover boys and girls will see the sense in selling a player age 24 for 80M pounds and then buy the player back for 131M pounds at age 32 because he's the best in the world. If you're not love struck, you won't see sense in that.

I can't really argue with love since it's a condition that doesn't reason. I will stop here and watch all play out.
Btw, he was also the best player in the world when he was sold for 80M.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Only Ronaldo lover boys and girls will see the sense in selling a player age 24 for 80M pounds and then buy the player back for 131M pounds at age 32 because he's the best in the world. If you're not love struck, you won't see sense in that.

I can't really argue with love since it's a condition that doesn't reason. I will stop here and watch all play out.
Btw, he was also the best player in the world when he was sold for 80M.
It has nothing to do with being a fanboy. No sane human would turn down Cristiano Ronaldo if he was available. The 80m fee is pointless to bring up now since it happens in an entirely different era in terms of transfers.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The best player is 32 years old and valued at 200M Euros. Yes many wouldn't.
We will get 3 great seasons out of him.
He would arrive and immediately be our best player by far.
Are people forgetting just how bad our current attackers* are? The majority of our attackers were only able to score 5 league goals each. Scoring 5 league goals in a season should be grounds to be transfer listed and if they can't score goals and Ibra is injured, then we need to buy a goal scorer.

*I use the term attackers loosely, because some teams have defenders who score as many goals as our attackers.

3KDré

The Pogpasses to Ronaldo :drool:

Don't think this is happening at all though.

Eddy_JukeZ

We will get 3 great seasons out of him.
He would arrive and immediately be our best player by far.
Are people forgetting just how bad our current attackers* are? The majority of our attackers were only able to score 5 league goals each. Scoring 5 league goals in a season should be grounds to be transfer listed and if they can't score goals and Ibra is injured, then we need to buy a goal scorer.

*I use the term attackers loosely, because some teams have defenders who score as many goals as our attackers.
Pretty much. He'd be far by our best attacker and the best player in the Prem.

We need a goalscorer. Ronaldo is exactly that. If he was available and wanted to return, it'd be madness to not bring him in. He'd win us at least 1 league title.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Rashford isn't good enough to be first choice for us, Ronaldo or not.
There's always one

Fair play for somewhat originality though I expected whomever replied with that kind of comment to mention LB

N2402

He's getting older, he will get less resilient as a result and the PL, whatever you say about quality, is physically tough.
ibra showed age is just a number this season and no doubt he could of lead the front line next season at 36

izec

I would obviously take him, but i doubt he will be here for next season. I just dont think he is keen on returning, only under Fergie he would come back.

Aki_United

even at 32 i would swap de gea for him
That is what our club has become, glory hunters. DDG never made a bad comment about Utd. even though he wanted to go to Real, Ronnie did, he said he was treated like a slave...

Keep DDG, he should retire as United legend, Ronnie isn´t one, he is a Real legend. DDG saved us a lot of times in the past.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
That is what our club has become, glory hunters. DDG never made a bad comment about Utd. even though he wanted to go to Real, Ronnie did, he said he was treated like a slave...

Keep DDG, he should retire as United legend, Ronnie isn´t one, he is a Real legend. DDG saved us a lot of times in the past.
DDG has indicated he wants to go to Real. Otherwise we would not have all this noise.

The current situation is a matter of arriving at a price.

I don't blame either player.

All this is just business.

Aki_United

No he left for Real Madrid when we really needed him most. What's is this all about? Retiring at Manchester United after doing what he wanted at Real Madrid? It's humiliating. Besides, he's 32 he has only 2 or 3 years to give. I wouldn't take that. Get Neymar he's much younger
This! He gave his best years to Real and now we want to buy him back for a higher fee? Invest for the fututre, CR7 is past. It´s even to risky, with 32 years you can´t come back from an serious injury like younger players can (Shaw).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Both the league and the Champions League. Just like that.

Do you actually believe that you can insert Ronaldo into our current team and win both the league and the CL?

Or do you think that us signing him has to be accompanied by other reinforcements (whom we will buy, willingly) – and if so, which?

Owngoalscorer

At the rate of his buyout we could buy 10 x £90m players and completely renew the team... Even if we avoided the full buyout, he would certainly cost over 200-300m realistically.. & then the UK tax authorities start digging through his previous time at Utd. Nice fairytale but i really hope it doesn't happen

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Both the league and the Champions League. Just like that.

Do you actually believe that you can insert Ronaldo into our current team and win both the league and the CL?

Or do you think that us signing him has to be accompanied by other reinforcements (whom we will buy, willingly) – and if so, which?
I'm sure we would still buy the other players we are after - DM, W, etc

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm sure we would still buy the other players we are after - DM, W, etc
Ah. I see.

Buying unspecificed but suitable players at unspecified rates, then.

Could work, sure.

How much do you think Ronaldo would cost, all in all?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ah. I see.

Buying unspecificed but suitable players at unspecified rates, then.

Could work, sure.

How much do you think Ronaldo would cost, all in all?
It would depend on where Ronaldo wants to play and how much the buying club can afford on one player, bearing in mind the player is 32 and what other clubs Ronaldo may consider.

If he wants to return to United I would imagine Madrid would be forced to sell him to us at a reasonable rate of £130m or below. We sold him to them at a reasonable rate with the knowledge he wanted to play there and would expect similar reciprocity from them.

We would still have plenty of money to go after a winger and DM.

Ronnie's wages would be easily paid by our recent wage rebalancing where we got rid of Memphis/Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger/Ibra and possibly Rooney/Young/Januzaj. That's nearly £1m a week in reductions and will be more than enough to deal with whoever we buy.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It would depend on where Ronaldo wants to play and how much the buying club can afford on one player, bearing in mind the player is 32 and what other clubs Ronaldo may consider.

If he wants to return to United I would imagine Madrid would be forced to sell him to us at a reasonable rate of £130m or below. We sold him to them at a reasonable rate with the knowledge he wanted to play there and would expect similar reciprocity from them.

We would still have plenty of money to go after a winger and DM.

Ronnie's wages would be easily paid by our recent wage rebalancing where we got rid of Memphis/Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger/Ibra and possibly Rooney/Young/Januzaj. That's nearly £1m a week in reductions and will be more than enough to deal with whoever we buy.
hehe,so Madrid are not a virus anymore? the reciprocity could be stay a extra year in Madrid to sell him in 2018 :smirk: