Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

So Ronaldo to Al Nassr, Aboubakar to Besiktas and Weghorst to United. If Weghorst proves to be good signing for us that would mean another good thing Ronaldo did for United this season, after making club cancel his contract.

I just hope this will be done as soon as possible, having him on bench for Arsenal game on 18th would be ideal though that may be too soon with how complicated this deal could be as it's between 3 clubs etc.
Did you mean Palace on 18th

croadyman

Feck any training just get him here for Saturday to take some attacking option pressure off Garnacho

croadyman

I actually meant Arsenal, for some reason thought we're playing them on 18th. But if it's vs Palace then yeah, for Palace game.
Like my post above just said I wish we could get him here sooner,if we were showing Felix like urgency it could be possible

Sparky Rhiwabon

Can't be any worse than woods at Newcastle or aubameyang at Chelsea
I sort of see him as our Wood. Brought in to fill a short term need, if he does OK and is still here next season then he hopefully becomes more of a squad player, like Wood at Newcastle now that Wilson is fit and they have bought Isak.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Think he could be a great choice given the alternatives. He's a true centre-forward, obviously a threat in the air and presumably pretty handy at interplay. He was also basically a 1 in 2 striker in the Bundesliga.

He is, however, the polar opposite of Martial. So worry slightly about the team developing patterns and what not if one striker wants it into feet and behind and the other in the air. I still think about how we used to just give up when Fellaini got moved forwards and every player on the pitch forgot how to pass it on the floor, instead became hoof-merchants.

Cheeky of Besiktas getting some cash, but it's less than what we've already saved on Ronnie's wages, so can't complain too much.

Chairman Steve

I think it’s a bit of disservice to Weghorst by drawing parallels to Ighalo.

Ighalo was basically 3 years into Chinese football when he came here on loan, and has since relocated to Saudi. Weghorst is still in European football and has been decent everywhere he’s been in Europe bar the 4 month stint he had in a Burnley side that had ran its race before he got there.

Irwin99

He's here to be a squad player and to help relieve the massive burden being placed on Martial and Rashford in particular. If he does well I don't see why he can't be a good squad player next season too.

I get the sense some here are thinking he's a lot more than this and that we're going to be lining up with him for years to come :lol: . I'm sure you'll get your Harry Kane level super signing in the summer, don't worry :D

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
He's here to be a squad player and to help relieve the massive burden being placed on Martial and Rashford in particular. If he does well I don't see why he can't be a good squad player next season too.

I get the sense some here are thinking he's a lot more than this and that we're going to be lining up with him for years to come :lol: . I'm sure you'll get your Harry Kane level super signing in the summer, don't worry :D
In total honesty I think he’ll start more games than we all think he will. We all know EtH likes a big lump up front. It’ll be Martial coming off the bench more than the other way round

croadyman

I sort of see him as our Wood. Brought in to fill a short term need, if he does OK and is still here next season then he hopefully becomes more of a squad player, like Wood at Newcastle now that Wilson is fit and they have bought Isak.
Yeah he would become a squad player once we get a Kane/Osimhen/Vlahovic

Elcabron

I think it’s a bit of disservice to Weghorst by drawing parallels to Ighalo.

Ighalo was basically 3 years into Chinese football when he came here on loan, and has since relocated to Saudi. Weghorst is still in European football and has been decent everywhere he’s been in Europe bar the 4 month stint he had in a Burnley side that had ran its race before he got there.
Good points. I think he will be ok for us.

Kag

This game is why we need someone. We’re an injury or two away from playing Elanga up front. It makes a lot of sense.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
More productive than most of what’s going on here :lol:

Are you from Limburg? Brabant? I’m trying to imagine how Ferry Bouman would say Wout Weghorst. I’ve mostly been in East-to-West myself, which gives me the very prejudiced feel that Eastern Dutch sounds uptight and rural, Amsterdam/Rotterdam sounds ‘normal’ (which to a non-Dutch-speaker really doesn’t say much), South Dutch sounds abit drunk, and Vlaams sounds like an awakening zombie coughing through two inches of soil. All in all, Dutch is my favourite language to almost understand.
That's amazing description of Dutch! :lol:

Yeah, Brabant - one of your drunk areas. :D Of course, to me, that sounds normal while places like Amsterdam and Rotterdam have throat issues (alongside a hideous r), but eh! That webpage you quoted gives itself away by saying the g sounds like clearing your throat though (or however they put it exactly), cause that's very western.

Anyway! :)

Stadjer

I suppose my perspective is coloured by my Dutch accent and how I perceive English as a non-native speaker myself; but the Dutch 'w' I'm used to isn't represented very well on that wegpage Grande quotes, where I agree there is a sort of 'v' sound at the start of their pronunciation of e.g. 'woord'. Basically take away that 'v' sound (almost a breath) at the very start of the pronunciation, and you're much closer to how I would define Dutch 'w'. So maybe accents are getting in the way here, cause I'm from the south and pronunciations on that webpage sounds very western to me ('g' and 'r' are easy markers for that). Weghorst himself is from the east, so maybe someone from there would better be able to help; maybe @Stadjer (who is from the northeast I think).

One way or another though, while English 'v' might be a decent approximation here, probably somewhere halfway between 'v' and 'w' might work better.

And yes, this is an excellent use of everyone's time.
Wait a second, is this a discussion how to pronounce Wout? Or Weghorst? Or both? :lol:

At 5:17 Gullit pronounces Weghorst. At 6:16 Mulder and Gullit pronounce Weghorst. Mulder is from the East of the country. 8:07 the presenter pronounces Weghorst.

redshaw

He should be able to make use of great balls from Case, Eriksen, Antony. I just hope we don't become too predictable as a team, I doubt ETH will let it happen but we saw with Ronaldo how we funneled everything to him. We have many options and are quite dynamic now. It can be tempting to hit too many long balls to a tall target man from the defensive positions.

RedDevilRoshi

I wonder if a rejuvenated Sancho could get the kind of understanding and link up he had a Dortmund with Haaland with Wout. Would be killer!
Hopefully and the same goes for Antony. Him and Haller were sensational together at Ajax under ETH himself.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why have all the shit puns/songs stopped?

Meet Wout Weghorst
He's our Loanee
Came from Burnley
Jane his wife

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
not the worst transfer to do in this situation. awout time we got a system player who can finally get us play the football we need, even as an individual, we can upgrade, but lets leave that for the summer..

Infestissumam

even a few months ago I would have been against something like this, but ETH has been so quick to make me trust him 100% that I'm fine with this.

CallyRed

If EtH wanted a front three of Weghorst, Arnautovic and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, who am I to argue

croadyman

Guy from Walsall just on Talkshite mocking the Weghorst signing,has no right to celebrate anything positive he does

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Guy from Walsall just on Talkshite mocking the Weghorst signing,has no right to celebrate anything positive he does
let people mock. i’d rather have weghorst for a small fee than nunez for 100m

Laurencio

I know but wanted to believe we could pull off a ridiculously quick deal and make it happen
I'm not sure sticking a new striker, who has been playing in Turkey, into the toughest game of the season, with no training or time to adapt to Ten hag's system, is the best the idea in the world

croadyman

I'm not sure sticking a new striker, who has been playing in Turkey, into the toughest game of the season, with no training or time to adapt to Ten hag's system, is the best the idea in the world
Yeah I know but just wanted to have a different dimension for us to call on because our bench looks meek in an attacking sense

croadyman

So this looks likely to be happening then?
Yeah reckon so but as the poster replying to me just said he will need a few training sessions and adjustment time to Erik's system.

Therefore hard to see him in the team until Arsenal at earliest maybe even 1st leg of Carabao Cup Semi Final.

Status
Not open for further replies.