Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

This might so crazy considering who we are getting and his career this far but if he can't displace current form Martial then I'll be very disappointed.

Grunnn123

ohh mannnn, this tower comes of the bench and scores the winner in extra time. Let it happen

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think it prices him out of a move completely. At a higher price it becomes a comparison with other available strikers. Let's say Kane becomes available, who is objectively a better and more complete player.

We're not flush with cash at the moment, and in order to be a more attractive option than Kane for example, his performances would have to be up there with Van Persie's, which realistically isn't going to happen. At the £10M mark he could perform reasonably well, and be affordable as a cheap addition to Kane.

Even as a backup, at that higher price, you would have to consider if he's a better long term option than say Adam Hlozek or any number of young forwards who haven't quite broken through yet. He could of course perform well beyond expectations and be worth that, but the impact he would need to make to get a move at that price at his age seems unrealistic.

I think this means it is a loan and done kind of deal.
I imagine that, even if Weghorst manages to score 1 in every 2 games for United, his cost wouldn't be anywhere near Kane's. Burnley, at a push, would probably try to get £20-30m for Weghorst. Spurs will not let Kane go for that little.

Spurs will likely say to any club after Kane: His on field, as well as off field benefits e.g., being England captain, are large enough to merit a massive fee. Even with only a year left on his existing deal. To be honest, its a view I have a large degree of sympathy with. Kane's goals have been vital to Spurs, plus his profile is important for Spurs' commercial partnership opportunities. Unless selling him brings in enough money to significantly strengthen Spurs' squad, to the point where Champions League qualification starts looking like a serious prospect, there are more obvious downsides to selling him than upsides.

That being said I'm not the biggest fan of Kane in this Man Utd squad. Kane is not a presser, he is increasingly no longer a penalty box presence. His hold up play is good and he can bring other players into the game. However, tactically, for Ten Hag, he's not exactly a round peg for a round hole. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, none of the strikers we've been linked to do everything that Ten Hag wants his #9 to do.

Its one of the reasons I'm keen for Weghorst to surprise on the upside because he does press and he's decent on the deck. The question mark is whether he can be a goalscorer in a league like ours. Lets hope so.

Man-United

We should also go for Bas Dost as cover if Martial and WW are injured. 6 goals in 14 in Eredivisie, would not cost much at all either.

LordSpud

He better be able to step up seeing as that Martial is about to go out injured.

Anustart89

I see a lot of big stats out there, but goalwise these are all quite mediocre goals

We should probably not think of him as the new messias but more of a good workhorse
What more do you want? It's got aggression and movement to get his head onto crosses, movement to run in behind the defence and beating the offside trap, one placed long-range shot, movement on set pieces. Seems like enough variety to me, especially with Rashford being able run off him, Garnacho and Antony having someone to aim crosses at (as well as Bruno, Eriksen and Casemiro from deeper positions). Perfect if we're getting him for £3m for the season (that's what we've saved on Ronaldo's wages since terminating his contract), especially if his other qualities such as link-up play, ability to bring others into play, defensive effort are as good as suggested.

I'd go as far as saying that getting someone who gets "mediocre goals" is exactly what we're missing with Martial, someone to do the striker's basics right and who has the mindset, ability and vision to get himself into scoring positions consistently. The service is up to the teammates to provide.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I see a lot of big stats out there, but goalwise these are all quite mediocre goals

We should probably not think of him as the new messias but more of a good workhorse
I think everyone see's him as a goalscorer, and not a scorer of great goals. That's fine

Man-United

What does Bas Dost bring and how does he fit the EtH style etc?
Tall, target man, knows him well, scored 18 goals in 22 games in Portugal in the 18/19 season, won't cost much at all.

Could also get the best out of Bruno again as they played well together at Sporting.

76 goals in 84 league games.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Tall, target man, knows him well, scored 18 goals in 22 games in Portugal in the 18/19 season, won't cost much at all.

Could also get the best out of Bruno again as they played well together at Sporting.
That was 3-4 year ago, it's barely relevant now. He has Weghorst + Martial, that will do.

Weghorst' injury record is also very good, he barely misses games.

Man-United

That was 3-4 year ago, it's barely relevant now. He has Weghorst + Martial, that will do.

Weghorst' injury record is also very good, he barely misses games.
Probaby not gonna happen now no, but if we didn't go for Wout, then Dost would be just as good I think.

userman

What more do you want? It's got aggression and movement to get his head onto crosses, movement to run in behind the defence and beating the offside trap, one placed long-range shot, movement on set pieces. Seems like enough variety to me, especially with Rashford being able run off him, Garnacho and Antony having someone to aim crosses at (as well as Bruno, Eriksen and Casemiro from deeper positions). Perfect if we're getting him for £3m for the season (that's what we've saved on Ronaldo's wages since terminating his contract), especially if his other qualities such as link-up play, ability to bring others into play, defensive effort are as good as suggested.

I'd go as far as saying that getting someone who gets "mediocre goals" is exactly what we're missing with Martial, someone to do the striker's basics right and who has the mindset, ability and vision to get himself into scoring positions consistently. The service is up to the teammates to provide.
Absolutely agree with this post. In relation to the video that was posted I see some good and even some great finishes, some tap-ins, some great poaching-abilities, but perhaps the most important I see some goals that our current players are unlikely to make - what is "mediocre goals" anyways, a goal is a goal no?

Laurencio

I imagine that, even if Weghorst manages to score 1 in every 2 games for United, his cost wouldn't be anywhere near Kane's. Burnley, at a push, would probably try to get £20-30m for Weghorst. Spurs will not let Kane go for that little.

Spurs will likely say to any club after Kane: His on field, as well as off field benefits e.g., being England captain, are large enough to merit a massive fee. Even with only a year left on his existing deal. To be honest, its a view I have a large degree of sympathy with. Kane's goals have been vital to Spurs, plus his profile is important for Spurs' commercial partnership opportunities. Unless selling him brings in enough money to significantly strengthen Spurs' squad, to the point where Champions League qualification starts looking like a serious prospect, there are more obvious downsides to selling him than upsides.

That being said I'm not the biggest fan of Kane in this Man Utd squad. Kane is not a presser, he is increasingly no longer a penalty box presence. His hold up play is good and he can bring other players into the game. However, tactically, for Ten Hag, he's not exactly a round peg for a round hole. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, none of the strikers we've been linked to do everything that Ten Hag wants his #9 to do.

Its one of the reasons I'm keen for Weghorst to surprise on the upside because he does press and he's decent on the deck. The question mark is whether he can be a goalscorer in a league like ours. Lets hope so.
It's not so much that their price would be the same, it wouldn't, it is that at £10M, a 31 year old with no resale value is affordable (you can't get anyone cheaper), at £30M you probably want younger ones with more potential and resale value. The caveat to that would be that he could perform to the extent where he shows he could be the main man for a few years, but then you are left with a risky decision to make. Do you make him the main man, betting his form will continue and risk missing out on someone else?

Kane has 15 in 18, and consistently tops the goalscorer charts. He is a year younger and infinitely more experienced. He is a more complete player, and has a better stat spread. His consistency is well documented. His game is not about speed or flashy technique, so he should be a decent player into his mid 30s - at which point McNeil is 23, and with Kane we probably win the league at least once so our money issues shouldn't be terrible any more.

It is very hard to argue that Kane isn't the better option. If you can only get one with a striker budget of £80-100M for instance. Then it does not make sense to go for Weghorst over Kane.

DevTheRed

Exactly what we need IMO.

Target for the likes of Bruno and Eriksen and someone to keep the CB’s busy for the wingers. Really excited to see how he gets on.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

A goal every 2 games is no easy task. Not digging Weghorst out but I think that's probably quite an unrealistic aim.

Man-United

Target for the likes of Bruno and Eriksen and someone to keep the CB’s busy for the wingers. Really excited to see how he gets on.
Dost would have been a safer bet as he already knows Bruno well from their time at Sporting, also big, tall, target man, scored just as many goals in at least as good league also.

Getting both would be something. Wout and Dost, great for the lineup predictions.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's not so much that their price would be the same, it wouldn't, it is that at £10M, a 31 year old with no resale value is affordable (you can't get anyone cheaper), at £30M you probably want younger ones with more potential and resale value. The caveat to that would be that he could perform to the extent where he shows he could be the main man for a few years, but then you are left with a risky decision to make. Do you make him the main man, betting his form will continue and risk missing out on someone else?

Kane has 15 in 18, and consistently tops the goalscorer charts. He is a year younger and infinitely more experienced. He is a more complete player, and has a better stat spread. His consistency is well documented. His game is not about speed or flashy technique, so he should be a decent player into his mid 30s - at which point McNeil is 23, and with Kane we probably win the league at least once so our money issues shouldn't be terrible any more.

It is very hard to argue that Kane isn't the better option. If you can only get one with a striker budget of £80-100M for instance. Then it does not make sense to go for Weghorst over Kane.
Hard to disagree with anything you say. However, Spurs would likely want the bulk of that £80m-100m budget put to use on Kane. For which they would have justifiable reasons. Us, or someone else, insisting that Kane is in the last year of his contract is unlikely to make Spurs change its valuation.

Weghorst is not Kane, that's for sure. Still, the best players don't always make the most cohesive system. I would never in a month of Sundays have thought Firmino would have the impact at Liverpool that he did. Sometimes, if you get the right pieces in a system that plays to their strengths, players can surprise you. In a vaccum Weghorst is never going to be considered an elite striker. However, I hope (rather than expect), that the way Ten Hag wants to play can tap into something that means he works for us in a way he might not work for someone else. A bit like Haller at Ajax.

A goal every 2 games is no easy task. Not digging Weghorst out but I think that's probably quite an unrealistic aim.
Its not an aim. Its an illustration that, even if he did manage that, he'd still never be valued as highly as Kane is.

Herman Toothrot

I can see him getting on the end of Antony's back post crosses. As much as I support this move given then circumstances, I must admit he looks incredibly slow in those clips. Lets hope his nuisance-factor trumps his lumbering movement.

Marwood

I agree. If he surprises his sceptics and scores a ton of goals between now and the end of the season United will want to keep him. However, instead of being able to get him for a fair fee Burnley will probably ask for two to three times that.

If Weghorst smashes it at Old Trafford he will want to stay, we will want him to stay and Burnley will know they can't keep him.

With two years left on his deal at the end of the season, Burnley will see sense in cashing in. However, I doubt the Burnley directors will want to let him go for the kind of cheap fee Besiktas had an option for. Burnley will probably point out how much we paid for Van Persie, when he was of a similar age and with a similar amount of time left on his Arsenal contract, and say inflation is much higher now than it was in 2012. It could get messy.
I doubt Burnley will be using RvP as a comparison for Wout.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If the loan fails and we get fed up of him, here's a back up chant.

WOUT, HUH, YEAH
What is he good for?
Absolutely nothing.
SAY IT AGAIN

CallyRed

Can he play any musical instruments? Looking forward to unveil video. Hope he can play the tuba.

Laurencio

Hard to disagree with anything you say. However, Spurs would likely want the bulk of that £80m-100m budget put to use on Kane. For which they would have justifiable reasons. Us, or someone else, insisting that Kane is in the last year of his contract is unlikely to make Spurs change its valuation.

Weghorst is not Kane, that's for sure. Still, the best players don't always make the most cohesive system. I would never in a month of Sundays have thought Firmino would have the impact at Liverpool that he did. Sometimes, if you get the right pieces in a system that plays to their strengths, players can surprise you. In a vaccum Weghorst is never going to be considered an elite striker. However, I hope (rather than expect), that the way Ten Hag wants to play can tap into something that means he works for us in a way he might not work for someone else. A bit like Haller at Ajax.
I agree, Spurs will want most of that, and probably rightfully so. If Weghorst was available for £10M and did well, he would probably stay as backup to Kane. However, with no clause we all know Burnley will want a lot more for him than that - if he does well enough to warrant a transfer.

I think Weghorst will do a lot better than most expect him to, but I don't think he will do well enough for us to ignore an obvious upgrade like Kane. I could be wrong, but it seems improbable.

hobbers

They're a lot higher quality than I expected they'd be.

Real Name

We probably wont get this done over the weekend since we've never got done a transfer deal on the weekend. Probably on Monday then at the earnest.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We probably wont get this done over the weekend since we've never got done a transfer deal on the weekend. Probably on Monday then at the earnest.
Would be pretty poor if we didn't, he's in Manchester, we had a deadline, we should be able to hit it (unless there were some Burnley/Besiktas complications)

Status
Not open for further replies.