SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah, it's bullshit. They had a go at me the other day for what was in my shopping trolley. Ffs it's my basic right if I want to buy a fifty slow cookers, assorted steel cutlery, two hundred bottles of bleach and some fire lighters.

fecking police state, man

Skills

Snitch
Yeah, it's bullshit. They had a go at me the other day for what was in my shopping trolley. Ffs it's my basic right if I want to buy a fifty slow cookers, assorted steel cutlery, two hundred bottles of bleach and some fire lighters.

fecking police state, man
Amateur. Everyone knows you go for 12 bottles of bleach at a time.

arnie_ni

They've just posted an apology and said it was an over exuberant officer. Which is another way of them saying that they've got a power hungry twat in their ranks who they've had to take to the side and say "shut the feck up Dave, look at the mess you've gotten us into".
Well there you go. I thought the police on the streets were basically being misinformed and genuinely didnt realise what powers they have and dont have right now

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
You'd think a forbes journo would actually check out this stuff rather than just making an article from worldometres figures :lol:

Deaths per days since 2nd April 65, 58, 54, 67, 66, 53, 47 (although those last 2 days likely to get another 10 or so late figures added to them).

Journo has just seen 100+ for two days on Worldometer and hasn't even researched it to show that these were due to late reports which happen absolutely everywhere.
I'm guessing the deaths figure was probably a catalyst to the article agreed, but to be honest I was more interested in the approach given it differs to most countries... i.e. why they did it, is it working, what'll happen with figures.

Are the number of cases stats 'wrong' too?

Sparky Rhiwabon

How are people still getting CV? It should be impossible to get if you follow the guidelines.
Supermarkets?
Items being delivered to your home?
People working who can't work from home?
Construction workers working on tasks where social distancing is not possible

Some examples of ways to get it within the guidelines

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We apparently have idiots who this week decided to come holidaying in the south and apparently someone from Spain too, they have been spotted because they had to go to the ER...

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Supermarkets?
Items being delivered to your home?
People working who can't work from home?
Construction workers working on tasks where social distancing is not possible

Some examples of ways to get it within the guidelines
Supermarket floors are marked out with tape to keep people at distance, hand gel and cleaning fluid for the trolley handle, plastic screens at checkout, plastic curtains from ceiling to floor keeping the people at the checkout next to you completely apart. So i very much doubt its supermarkets. Its most likely the underclass enjoying partys with their friends.

Are the number of cases stats 'wrong' too?
She has a lot wrong to be honest mate, @BeforeKeanetherewasRobson. It's clear she's only looked at worldometers and made her assumptions/article based on that.

She claims 719 Swedes are in intensive care, when that is in fact the total number who have received intensive care. That is the number on worldometres though under "Serious/critical". The actual number of Swedes in intensive care currently is 471.
I mean, it's not even difficult to research, it's public knowledge: https://www.svt.se/datajournalistik/corona-i-intensivvarden/

Sweden are 100% transparent on this, we have a daily 14:00 press conference from the State Epidemiologist where we are talked through everything. Stats, figures, cases, trends, models. How well social distancing is working, what we are doing wrong etc.

We know and have seen the graphs to show that since we started social distancing measures in mid-March, flu and winter tummy bug have dropped off a cliff.
We know that we have stopped the exponential growth in Stockholm and that the curve has been flattened.
We know that Gothenburg looks like to be the next place we will have our main focus on.
We know that we have so far and according to the model can treat and give ICU to everyone that needs it if we keep this up. We still have plenty of capacity there.
We also know we fecked up massively in the Järva area of Stockholm, and that we've done a dog shit job in nursing homes.
We also know that we could seriously feck this up over Easter if people don't follow the guidelines set out for them by the Health Ministry.

As for cases? What does that even mean these days? I mean, Germany has 118,235 cases.... but is anyone claiming they are doing worse than Iran, France or The UK?

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Its most likely the underclass enjoying partys with their friends.
What the absolute feck is this? Is there really any evidence that it's the poorest in our society who are having people over? There's plenty of hoity toity folk in my bit who were having folk over as recently as last weekend, the champagne drinking horse fecking twats that they are.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Supermarket floors are marked out with tape to keep people at distance, hand gel and cleaning fluid for the trolley handle, plastic screens at checkout, plastic curtains from ceiling to floor keeping the people at the checkout next to you completely apart. So i very much doubt its supermarkets. Its most likely the underclass enjoying partys with their friends.
Contact transmission from goods. Supermarket workers and fellow shoppers who have touched the goods.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can’t speak for what’s happening in the Uk but in Ireland most of our clusters are in nursing homes. The residents there can’t socially isolate and agency staff are spreading it between the various locations.
These staff will also infect their families, go off sick from work, someone else replaces them etc etc

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Slightly disconcerting that many people are shopping without wearing rubber gloves,though may be I'm being a tad paranoid.

Maticmaker

Trumps comments/tweets etc. as we know are often ham-fisted (or worse) and give off the wrong vibes completely. However its possible his announcement when he referred to the Covid-19 virus as 'the Chinese virus' may have done more to ensure (in a post Pandemic situation) that Beijing takes action against those responsible and to ensure it doesn't occur again.
'Loss of face' over this for China is massive and such things will stir action inside the Country much more than the empty threats about retaliation or seeking compensation etc. arising from elsewhere in the world.

The Chinese government and its people have worked wonders in getting the thing under control and should be rightly praised for it, but the s**t hit the fan in their back yard and they will not want that again. So Donald's comments may do some good...but don't tell him or we will never hear the end of it!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Wow. Amazing that no other news/media outlet has picked up on the Byline Times discovery.
It's not really that amazing. Most of them are bought and paid for. Journalism is a dying art.

Watch herd immunity get repackaged at some point with a different name.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nigeria is doing targeted testing and contact tracing with an infection rate of > 50%. The country simply doesn't have the capacity for mass testing. I feel the virus has already got out but many cities are on lockdown.
Now the problem is most Nigerian feed and earn as they work. People are literally starving and in some parts the situation is getting out of hand.
It's a bit of a rock and a hard place. The country cannot afford to allow the virus get out of hand at the same time, people cannot afford to stay at home.
Similar situation in most of sub-saharan africa.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Trumps comments/tweets etc. as we know are often ham-fisted (or worse) and give off the wrong vibes completely. However its possible his announcement when he referred to the Covid-19 virus as 'the Chinese virus' may have done more to ensure (in a post Pandemic situation) that Beijing takes action against those responsible and to ensure it doesn't occur again.
'Loss of face' over this for China is massive and such things will stir action inside the Country much more than the empty threats about retaliation or seeking compensation etc. arising from elsewhere in the world.

The Chinese government and its people have worked wonders in getting the thing under control and should be rightly praised for it, but the s**t hit the fan in their back yard and they will not want that again. So Donald's comments may do some good...but don't tell him or we will never hear the end of it!
The only reason Trump called it the Chinese virus is to avoid blame. He doesn't hmgive a shit what the Chinese do as long as he doesn't carry the can. It is always someone else's fault.

fergieisold

Just came upon this news

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...surance-policy-payout-141-million/5123987002/

For each of the past 17 years, the All-England Lawn Tennis Club has paid for an insurance policy to guard against losses if Wimbledon should have to be canceled in the event of a worldwide pandemic.

That preparation will finally pay off this year. According to a report by the Action Network, the insurance will result in a payment worth $141 million -- or nearly half the amount that the club expects to lose as a result of the cancellation.
That's some great foresight that! Well done to them!

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What the absolute feck is this? Is there really any evidence that it's the poorest in our society who are having people over? There's plenty of hoity toity folk in my bit who were having folk over as recently as last weekend, the champagne drinking horse fecking twats that they are.
I'm pretty sure Stan is in the underclass too.

She has a lot wrong to be honest mate, @BeforeKeanetherewasRobson. It's clear she's only looked at worldometers and made her assumptions/article based on that.

She claims 719 Swedes are in intensive care, when that is in fact the total number who have received intensive care. That is the number on worldometres though under "Serious/critical". The actual number of Swedes in intensive care currently is 471.
I mean, it's not even difficult to research, it's public knowledge: https://www.svt.se/datajournalistik/corona-i-intensivvarden/

Sweden are 100% transparent on this, we have a daily 14:00 press conference from the State Epidemiologist where we are talked through everything. Stats, figures, cases, trends, models. How well social distancing is working, what we are doing wrong etc.

We know and have seen the graphs to show that since we started social distancing measures in mid-March, flu and winter tummy bug have dropped off a cliff.
We know that we have stopped the exponential growth in Stockholm and that the curve has been flattened.
We know that Gothenburg looks like to be the next place we will have our main focus on.
We know that we have so far and according to the model can treat and give ICU to everyone that needs it if we keep this up. We still have plenty of capacity there.
We also know we fecked up massively in the Järva area of Stockholm, and that we've done a dog shit job in nursing homes.
We also know that we could seriously feck this up over Easter if people don't follow the guidelines set out for them by the Health Ministry.

As for cases? What does that even mean these days? I mean, Germany has 118,235 cases.... but is anyone claiming they are doing worse than Iran, France or The UK?
Thanks, useful.

So apart from the facts, the article was fine? :)

Good luck, hope it works out, every country needs to share/learn?

jeff_goldblum

You're showing your prejudices here. Poor people are not the reason this disease has spread. It's not poor people who are driving to their holiday homes on the coast for the bank holiday weekend, it's not poor people who were cramming the national parks a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't poor people who were popping over to Italy even as reports were coming in about the virus there. This disease has been spread by affluent holidaymakers and business-travellers but less well off people will bear the brunt. Poor people are now in the firing line because they're more likely to work in key industries where social distancing is difficult to maintain, more likely to cohabit with other key workers in accomadation where distancing is impossible and more likely to have extended family who are relying on them for support right now.

Have a word with yourself.

Thanks, useful.

So apart from the facts, the article was fine? :)

Good luck, hope it works out, every country needs to share/learn?
haha, yeah exactly.

Definitely, and surely the biggest lesson of all? Close off a country when an outbreak starts, don't open again until it's under control. The majority of the World's experts sat idly by assuming "it'll be like SARS and go away".

Some people think I just big up Sweden here, but that isn't the case, Sweden has some glaring issues and will learn a hell of a lot from this.

Flying high

Staying 2m apart and washing your hands doesn't make you safe. Those measures simply reduce the chance of infection.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Just reading about deaths in Italy amongst the medical and other health professions - there have been 97 doctors who have died (43 of those were GPs), 10 dentists, 28 nurses and 6 pharmacists. Terrible numbers and particularly sad when a doctor has come out of retirement to help out.

It's not really that amazing. Most of them are bought and paid for. Journalism is a dying art.

Watch herd immunity get repackaged at some point with a different name.
Surprised that if the Government had made some huge mistake, other papers (depending on political slant) like say the Guardian, don't run it too?

Just reading about deaths in Italy amongst the medical and other health professions - there have been 97 doctors who have died (43 of those were GPs), 10 dentists, 28 nurses and 6 pharmacists. Terrible numbers and particularly sad when a doctor has come out of retirement to help out.
I had seen that too. So not many people actually working on the front line in the hospitals are catching it. It's mostly in other places where precautions might not be taken as seriously, or they caught it outside work.

You're showing your prejudices here. Poor people are not the reason this disease has spread. It's not poor people who are driving to their holiday homes on the coast for the bank holiday weekend, it's not poor people who were cramming the national parks a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't poor people who were popping over to Italy even as reports were coming in about the virus there. This disease has been spread by affluent holidaymakers and business-travellers but less well off people will bear the brunt. Poor people are now in the firing line because they're more likely to work in key industries where social distancing is difficult to maintain, more likely to cohabit with other key workers in accomadation where distancing is impossible and more likely to have extended family who are relying on them for support right now.

Have a word with yourself.
I thought we had all learned by now it doesn't matter one jot whether you are rich or poor. It's not a class specific virus, it is being spread by all, but primarily by families and close friends in group gatherings, no matter what their income status. Travelling, events, supermarket trips etc. are all minor sources of transmission.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I had seen that too. So not many people actually working on the front line in the hospitals are catching it. It's mostly in other places where precautions might not be taken as seriously, or they caught it outside work.
I think GPs are particularly at risk - you never know who's going to just turn up in your surgery.

Blackwidow

I thought we had all learned by now it doesn't matter one jot whether you are rich or poor. It's not a class specific virus, it is being spread by all, but primarily by families and close friends in group gatherings, no matter what their income status. Travelling, events, supermarket trips etc. are all minor sources of transmission.
It spreads to all - but the risk to die from it or get into serious conditions that later on impact you more - is higher for the poorer people.

Classical Mechanic

It spreads to all - but the risk to die from it or get into serious conditions that later on impact you more - is higher for the poorer people.
Minorities are disproportionately represented in the death figures in the UK. Think they account 30% of deaths when they make up 13% of the population. Could be due to cramped living conditions and multi-generational living arrangements common in Asian communities in particular. A lot of the medical professionals that have died in the UK seem to have been Asian too.