WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

Group tables after two matches

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So everyone's played twice now. Top two in each group go through, but so do four best third place teams, which means everyone's still playing for something. 4 points is enough for a best third place, but somebody could be going through with 3 points.

Group A
Team GD Pts
France 5 6
Norway 2 3
Nigeria -1 3
South Korea -6 0

B
Team GD Pts
Germany 2 6
Spain 1 3
China PR 0 3
South Africa -3 0

C
Team GD Pts
Italy 6 6
Brazil 2 3
Australia 0 3
Jamaica -8 0

D
Team GD Pts
England 2 6
Japan 1 4
Argentina -1 1
Scotland -2 0

Group E
Team GD Pts
Holland 3 6
Canada 3 6
Cameroon -3 0
New Zealand -3 0

F
Team GD Pts
USA 16 6
Sweden 6 6
Chile -5 0
Thailand -17 0

The full tables including the fairplay points are at: https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/groups/

17th June: matchday 3 begins

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
We're now entering the last sequence of group matches. Positions are decided based on:
Goal difference
Goals for
Head to head
Fairplay

Monday's matches:
Group B:

China vs Spain 17:00 - BBC website
South Africa vs Germany 17:00 - BBC red button
Germany will be expecting to win the group outright against SA. China/Spain are fighting directly for second - though a draw would mean both go through (one as a best third place).

Group A:
Nigeria vs France 20:00 - BBC Four
South Korea vs Norway 20:00 - BBC red button
Lots of permutations in that group. In theory Nigeria, France, Norway could end up on 6 points. In theory :smirk:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Scotland not in the worst position considering they have zero points. Beat Argentina and the probably end up ahead of group F 3rd place unless Chile thrash Thailand. Poised to possibly beat out the Group E 3rd place too should they win plus a few others in the mix.

Grande

Scotland not in the worst position considering they have zero points. Beat Argentina and the probably end up ahead of group F 3rd place unless Chile thrash Thailand. Poised to possibly beat out the Group E 3rd place too should they win plus a few others in the mix.
Brazil could swiftly be in there fighting for goal difference with the likes of Scotland, Chile, Cameroun and Nigeria.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Brazil could swiftly be in there fighting for goal difference with the likes of Scotland, Chile, Cameroun and Nigeria.
In principle I don't really like the best third place business - in practice it really does mean the whole group have something to play for on the last day. Top places and best thirds all up for grabs today.

montpelier

yes, it seems a bit convoluted

but where the standard is quite varied, it ought to stop someone being eliminated very mainly on getting a much less favourable draw than a worser team

and keeps everyone playing which doesn't do any harm, as you say

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I’m a bit annoyed that the BBC only has the Germany game on the red button, I’ve got the Spain game on the laptop and Germany game on the tv.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Spain spaining it right now. Most of the possession, keeping China down to 0 shots - but it's still 0-0. Spain have got to score eventually. Surely :D
Think it'll end 0-0 now barring an early goal. Both through with a point. Spain will sub off some of their better players I think as well and rest them for next round (v USA I think?)

Grande

Think it'll end 0-0 now barring an early goal. Both through with a point. Spain will sub off some of their better players I think as well and rest them for next round (v USA I think?)
Spain would well liked to have lost that game if they could be sure to be amongst the best third placed on goal difference, just to avoid the US.

China has done well to get three points and losing only narrowly to Germany. Interesting to see how they fare in the KO rounds.

Now I’m all set for Norway vs South Korea!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I don't really have an opinion on the matter, but I find it sad to see that people aren't even willing to have an honest debate about this and some even jump straight to sexism. I mean no one can deny that men and women have different athletic output (for lack of a better phrase), so why the outrage at the suggestion of altering the pitch accordingly, like it's done in other sports? Saying that requiring dedicated pitches for Women's football isn't practical at this point or that they are fine with the differences that stem from having (relatively speaking) bigger pitches and goals are both arguments I can get behind, but don't call it sexism, when someone raises a logical question.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Gotta have me some more Gauvin tonight! :drool::drool::drool: Think she'll get a couple tonight.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nigeria will be gassed second half. Looking like a 2-0 or flukey 2-1 to France. They'll bring Le Sommer and Diani on second half.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This summer has made me realize that I'd watch a lot more women's football if it was on at a different time from men's.

I've been watching daily.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Man, I don't think France are gonna score tonight. Thiney should've done better there.