WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
100% this. I’m not even invested in this game and it’s so fecking frustrating.

Really feel for Japan here, the Dutch go through undeservedly.
I too didn't really care who won this game, but I despise the fact that huge games are being decided by these kind of decisions. Incredibly harsh and ruins the occasions.

The thing is I can understand the decision in the CL final. I didn't like it but Sissoko has been a bit silly with where his arm was placed. This one was on another level, the arm is barely out and it's been pelted at her from absolute point blank range, I just don't get how anybody who has played football can ever think it's possible to have control of your arm when someone fires a ball at you/you're trying to make a tackle. People aren't fecking robots, but this rule treats them like they are.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Please bench vd Sanden for Beerenstein next match. Beerenstein's been great in the given time.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Only watched the last 20 minutes, but Japan played really well. Agree with everyone else; the handball rule is ridiculous. That and VAR in general need some serious adjustments before it comes into the PL.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Probably a side argument on the handball thing but....

If you are going to be this harsh punishing handballs, why not explicitly make any handling of the ball (deliberate, accidental, whatever) in the area a foul? Hardly seems a big leap from where they're currently at anyway and if their main goal is to make handball an easy rule to enforce then that's the way to do it.

montpelier

Or go back to the common sense of how far has it travelled? What advantage are you gaining?

And maybe add in the ''where is your arm?'' factor.

But they want this mythical 'consistency' I expect.

Quarter finals and BBC schedule

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The quarter finals:

Thursday, 27 June
Norway v England, 20:00, Le Havre - BBC One

Friday, 28 June
France v USA, 20:00, Paris - BBC One

Saturday, 29 June
Italy v Netherlands, 14:00, Valenciennes, BBC One
Germany v Sweden, 17:30, Rennes, BBC One

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The quarter finals:

Thursday, 27 June

Friday, 28 June
France v USA, 20:00, Paris - BBC Four

Saturday, 29 June
Italy v Netherlands, 14:00, Valenciennes, BBC online and tbc...
Germany v Sweden, 17:30, Rennes, BBC online and tbc...
Correction to this but all the quarterfinals are on BBC ONE

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
The quarter finals:

Thursday, 27 June

Friday, 28 June
France v USA, 20:00, Paris - BBC Four

Saturday, 29 June
Italy v Netherlands, 14:00, Valenciennes, BBC online and tbc...
Germany v Sweden, 17:30, Rennes, BBC online and tbc...
Jonathon Pearce kept saying tonight that all four quarter finals will be on BBC One.

EDIT: Nevermind, i'm late to the party.

hocane

I've enjoyed moments of it and it seems like the women's game have improved a bit, but VAR completely has killed it for me.

Utter shambles.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
:lol: Come on then! Holland were lucky cause they would never have made it though ET. Just really feel for Japan.
Yeah, I felt sad for Japan honestly. And sad for us if we eventually face a team like USA.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
What are the odds of this Japan team winning Gold in Tokyo next year?

Would be a nice bet given how they played last night and still have a year left to put some aspects of their game on point. Their composure and calmness on the ball was unlike any other women's team I've seen in the tournament so far.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Van Hooijdonk butchered Holland after the game. No initiative, no aound tactical plan, just hoofing it forward. We were lucky to go through.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Van Hooijdonk butchered Holland after the game. No initiative, no aound tactical plan, just hoofing it forward. We were lucky to go through.
You really were. But I struggle to sympathise with Japan when I remember the penalty they were given in the semis 4 years ago. Not that I’m bitter or anything :lol:

lysglimt

Scout
Think the entire world cup is a joke - and for once the football isn't even the problem.

redshaw

Big test for the team tonight. Norway have a good record in the tournaments.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Anybody else feeling a bit nervy for tonight or is it just me? :nervous:
I'm in Le Havre and I'm nervous and so is everyone I've met today. In fact it's like no one wants to tempt fate by talking about the match - neither positively nor negatively. :lol:

It's all been about previous games or other teams. The only discussion I've heard about tonight has been around travel plans.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I'm in Le Havre and I'm nervous and so is everyone I've met today. In fact it's like no one wants to tempt fate by talking about the match - neither positively nor negatively. :lol:

It's all been about previous games or other teams. The only discussion I've heard about tonight has been around travel plans.
How hot is it mate? Stay safe and hydrated.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Any word on Houghton/Bright? Heard Bronze is a doubt also.
Houghton has been in training but Bright has had a sickness bug. I’d imagine that Bright won’t start as the heat is going to be a factor and illness is just energy sapping.
I haven’t heard anything about Bronze but she’s the one player we can’t afford to lose in my opinion.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Houghton has been in training but Bright has had a sickness bug. I’d imagine that Bright won’t start as the heat is going to be a factor and illness is just energy sapping.
I haven’t heard anything about Bronze but she’s the one player we can’t afford to lose in my opinion.
They mentioned on Talksport that Bronze looked off colour in training yesterday.

Angelinho

The teams are in and England fans will be pleased to learn that both Steph Houghton and Millie Bright start, despite Phil Neville saying they were both serious doubts ahead of tonight’s game. Neville makes one change from the team that started against Cameroon, with Demi Stokes coming in for Alex Greenwood.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Toni Duggan first goal.

Any shape on her? (Footballing wise)

VanGaalyTime

England been massively underwhelming for me so far. They'll need a huge improvement here to go through.
Been impressed with Parris, Scott and Bronze. But they need big games from the rest tonight. On a united note, I'm surprised that Greenwood isn't playing. She's been one of the best in the team for me.