WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The photo argument is such a bizarre defence.

Even if they show she lifted him, all she has to say is "Oh right, I didn't realise the hug had lifted him off the ground, what with me being caught up in the moment of winning a World Cup and all. But given that lifting someone in a hug isn't an invitation for them to kiss you, it makes absolutely zero difference".

rooneyberbatov

So the federation is threatening to sue one of their players who just won them a World Cup, because she was sexually assulted.

What is the world we live in? I swear…

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
Where are we at the moment? If what's happening doesn't bring about the changes the Spanish players and players everywhere want, I reckon some sort of John Lennon/MBE-type thing might be on the cards. Spain won the football contest, that's conclusively settled and on the record, but they could use the cachet of winning to raise the ante. If this testosterone-addled man-in-a-suit doesn't stop with the chest-beating, World Cup winning medals could be incoming, or outgoing (and into a nearby furnace). This is about his actions specifically, but it's also obviously more broadly about what his actions say about the system he's part of.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This, this incident right here, this is what is wrong with so many men. This sexual assault happened filmed in front of millions and still men think it’s fine. This creeps needs sacking immediately.
Not just this incident, the Mendy and Greenwood cases also brought out loads of men with terrible views. Kinda mad that it's 2023 and people still think like this

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hermoso not only suffered SA live on TV, she’s now also facing the threat of a lawsuit on top of that by her abuser? Imagine being Hermoso right now. The helplessness and unfairness of it all.

Mike Smalling

Hermoso not only suffered SA live on TV, she’s now also facing the threat of a lawsuit on top of that by her abuser? Imagine being Hermoso right now. The helplessness and unfairness of it all.
Right after the biggest achievement in her sporting career no less. She should be celebrating instead this shit.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Additionally, there is also a fundamental problem in how the federation is run if the president can make the federation sue its players for what essentially is a personal issue. There surely should be some form of governance or independence here.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Society keeps telling women to come forward when they are harassed or assaulted, but then even if there's pictures, audio or video of that assault, they will still face legions of men saying there's nothing there.

This comment is not about this thread, but just having a quick look on social media, tons of men see nothing wrong with this.

space

This is insane. Ruining an amazing moment for the team. It was all over TV, imagine the kind of stuff that happens behind the scenes. fecking idiots

flappyjay

Side eye to Spain Fa. Vini getting no support from the Spanish Fa with the racism. Followed by the handling of the coach situation and now their out handing out unsolicited kisses.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Has any male player other than Iglesias done anything to support their cause?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Good on them. But if that’s all, it’s an incredibly weak showing from almost all of Spanish football. The men could easily get rid of him. That they haven’t joined the women in their fight is just sad. This strengthens my incredibly low opinion of the average top athlete.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Good on them. But if that’s all, it’s an incredibly weak showing from almost all of Spanish football. The men could easily get rid of him. That they haven’t joined the women in their fight is just sad. This strengthens my incredibly low opinion of the average top athlete.
I’m with you. I think the blowback should have been far more widespread from the men’s team. Then again, might just be they all think this is OK.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is insane. Ruining an amazing moment for the team. It was all over TV, imagine the kind of stuff that happens behind the scenes. fecking idiots
He could've at least attempted to show a bit of decorum but, nope, got to grab my crotch and kiss people without asking because I'm the most important person in the fecking stadium.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I agree with you. Would love it if the Spanish men’s NT released a joint statement announcing they’re going on strike until Rubiales is gone.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Yeah I agree with you. Would love it if the Spanish men’s NT released a joint statement announcing they’re going on strike until Rubiales is gone.
This should have been done already. Their captain should be talking to the women’s team in order to coordinate their efforts together. Instead they seem to ignore the whole thing and don’t give a feck. Just a bunch of privileged manchildren without convictions and balls.
They are just proving to every victim of sexual abuse in Spain, that these victims can’t ever rely on the help of other men.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Jep, I’d say disappointing but you’d have to have some expectations to be disappointed. Most top athletes live in a bubble and are rather dumb. And mostly thinking about their image more than anything else.

Also agree with the sentiment already posted here: this is why women won’t come forward. You can be caught assaulting someone in 4k and still have fecking idiots defend it. The whole toxic ‘alpha male’ shite on full display. Didn’t even take long in this thread to have the apologists have a go at it.

So damn tiring.

cafecillos

An utter embarrassment. Rubiales is a piece of shit and to confirm he has so much support even after this is just a fecking national disgrace.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
@Lightbringer Why are you repeatedly referring to it as a peck? It seems like an attempt to downplay the nature of what went on.

It was definitely not a peck. He grabbed her head and forceably kissed her full on the lips.
A snog, a peck, a slap on the bum, something overtly sexual, regardless. If it was not wanted, it's assault.

The point of the matter is that he did not care, at the time or after, whether she wanted a kiss or not. He wanted to kiss, so he kissed.

I mean, he grabbed his crotch in front of a 16 year old, that in itself is disgusting.

Withnail

A snog, a peck, a slap on the bum, something overtly sexual, regardless. If it was not wanted, it's assault.

The point of the matter is that he did not care, at the time or after, whether she wanted a kiss or not. He wanted to kiss, so he kissed.

I mean, he grabbed his crotch in front of a 16 year old, that in itself is disgusting.
Yeah I agree with both of the second paragraphs absolutely but a peck on the cheek wouldn't be considered sexual usually and the poster has since clarified they were using the term to minimise the nature of the incident to a non-sexual one.

Lyng

This is what Spanish women have had to put up with in the past. Im not surprised they are pushing back and good on them for doing so.
Thats awful. Good on them for pushing back.

Peter van der Gea

Yeah I agree with both of the second paragraphs absolutely but a peck on the cheek wouldn't be considered sexual usually and the poster has since clarified they were using the term to minimise the nature of the incident to a non-sexual one.
Sexual assault is only partially about sex, it's more about power, and placing your mouth on another person's body, without their consent, is assault.

Plus, your lips are an intimate part of your body, so using your lips to assault someone should be sexual assault

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
A few months ago the FPF made a big fuss about harassment after a coach of a woman's team was caught sending flirty messages to players. They even released a video and urged everyone to come forward when harassment happened. When asked yesterday about this, the answer was "we don't comment about other federations"... what a brave association. fecking cowards everywhere...

Withnail

Sexual assault is only partially about sex, it's more about power, and placing your mouth on another person's body, without their consent, is assault.

Plus, your lips are an intimate part of your body, so using your lips to assault someone should be sexual assault
In many cultures a peck on the cheek is a part of a normal greeting so that's not necessarily always true but the point is the other poster was attempting to minimise the act and admitted that after I made the post you replied to. I was drawing attention to something that felt off about their posts.

From the mob I am seeing Rubalies being pretty much treated as a pervert and creep that likes to molest women. Of course this is the people that shout the most so they take it a step to far!

For me about the incident whats important is the intent, and for me there are 2 scenarios:

1. Rubiales explanation.

Scenario: Hermoso who is one of the longest standing spanish members approaches Rubiales and one could imagine that would be a very special moment. Hermoso is also a very emotional player. Rubiales is riled up already and if Hermoso did lift him up it might have triggered him to go full savage celebration mode (AKA YOU FINALLY GOT YOUR TITLE; WOW!!!!! F**** YEAH) and the peck being a part appreciation for a spanish legend in a wild emotional state rather than it being abuse.

2. The sexual assault accusation.

Scenario:

If Rubiales somehow got off sexually by doing what he did, sexual assault.

If there is anything true to option 2, then I think firing the guy instantly would be warranted and also black listing him for all time.

For me scenario 1 is most likely since I cant see Rubiales being such an animal to plot and sexually assault Hermoso in front of the whole wide world with the risks that could come with it.

In both scenarios Hermoso could have felt discomfort and disgust by the kiss, but in my world its a massive difference in how I perceive the seriousness of the incident!

If Rubiales deserves all that coming for him regardless, thats another topic that I have no or little knowledge about, hopefully the investigation will shed light on any shady business on his behalf leading up to this.
It's not about what he meant with the kiss. It's not like we can say kissing someone without their consent is only wrong if it turns you on is it?

How far would you or I get if we kissed a girl 20 years younger than us without asking on the street, and then defended ourselves by saying 'it wasn't sexual, I was just really happy!'

It's about making the women's team a safe place for women. That's part of his job, and he's failing spectacularly at it. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, especially now while his org is suing one of their own players for saying she didn't consent.

Peter van der Gea

In many cultures a peck on the cheek is a part of a normal greeting so that's not necessarily always true but the point is the other poster was attempting to minimise the act and admitted that after I made the post you replied to. I was drawing attention to something that felt off about their posts.
But that's what I mean, if anything I'm reinforcing your point, but if you kissed someone on the cheek when they didn't want you to, it'd still be assault

cafecillos

He leans in for the kiss with his lips pursed. Not the same.
And even if it actually were the exact same situation, it still wouldn't be the same at all. Anyone who doesn't want to not know this already does. The whataboutism in sexism is disgusting and exhausting. "What if a woman were catcalling a man?". Shut up and educate yourself, you fecking incel.

Ahmer Baig

BREAKING: The entire coaching team who worked under Spain women's head coach Jorge Vilda have resigned with immediate effect.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
And even if it actually were the exact same situation, it still wouldn't be the same at all. Anyone who doesn't want to not know this already does. The whataboutism in sexism is disgusting and exhausting. "What if a woman were catcalling a man?". Shut up and educate yourself, you fecking incel.
Both situations are perverse.

Getting kissed by a woman without your consent isn't great, it's mostly virgin, lonely and desperate men who think being forced to get kissed by a female it's something to brag about with the lads while taking a beer.
Unfortunately, I've seen stupid men even brag about how some total random woman touched their ass on the public transport, such behavior it's so trashy and weak.

The guy was leaning his head, but his intention seemed to expect for a cheek on the kiss, not that strong kiss he received in the mouth, she even pulled his head.

Rubiales should be exiled from spanish football, but what that woman did was bad too, there is no excuse.