WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Hamnat

I mean the excuses are making the issue worse exponentially now. And her statements outlining what is basically harassment of herself and family members to pressure her to lie and make a joint statement to help him out with the firestorm. He is clearly a creep, and the surrounding team apparatus and infrastructure is dirty too for trying to cover for him.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
The people applauding him giving that statement should be ashamed of themselves.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
video with the team mates watching the video of the kiss.
"And what did you say?"
"well, okay"
"really? but what are you doing, girl?"

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Thank you for confirming what others have denied.

It's not what I say, it's the model that says, I merely asked the question using the model. It's not just the kiss he's been criticised for, he certainly wasn't the only one engaged in other actions. While i agree he holds/held a position, I wasn't referring to his position, and we've no idea what he'd do in other circumstance. I would agree that how he might act towards the queen could be culturally different than someone who is not the a queen. I'm not sure it is just about power.

We've no idea what happens in private, i'm not sure speculation is helpful.
:lol:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its pretty sad that their WC win is being over shadowed by this mans complete lack of awareness, self awareness and lack of understanding of his position of power. On top of that the fact he hasnt been sacked shows a lack of leadership by those administering Spanish football.
The upside is that backlash and people wanting change

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Its pretty sad that their WC win is being over shadowed by this mans complete lack of awareness, self awareness and lack of understanding of his position of power. On top of that the fact he hasnt been sacked shows a lack of leadership by those administering Spanish football.
The upside is that backlash and people wanting change
Problem is that Spain is a corrupt country that is headed by people like Javier Tebas in La Liga and Rubiales in the Spanish Federation. They have strong political lobby supporting their status and feel untouchable.

There have been other facts that support his authoritarism:
- The sacking of Julen Lopetegui 3 days before the World Cup in 2018 is not normal.
- Allowing shady business deals with an active player like Gerard Pique - who is not even an agent of the Spanish Federation and owns shareholding stock in an Andorran team - in order to obtain better comissions with the Saudis for the Supercup... Rubiales complained that his WhatsApp got hacked rather than explaining the deal.
- A year ago the Spanish Women team complained and revolted against Jorge Vilda's management... instead of listening to their players complaints he separated the plaintiffs.

TBH, knowing this people rule Span it's no surprise seeing how they are easily surpassed economically by the UK and even Portugal and Italy in things like transfer market value and marketability of their league. It's a shame because we all know Spanish football is elite and still one of the best football leagues in the world... I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 5 years La Liga teams begin struggling in Europe.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Problem is that Spain is a corrupt country that is headed by people like Javier Tebas in La Liga and Rubiales in the Spanish Federation. They have strong political lobby supporting their status and feel untouchable.

There have been other facts that support his authoritarism:
- The sacking of Julen Lopetegui 3 days before the World Cup in 2018 is not normal.
- Allowing shady business deals with an active player like Gerard Pique - who is not even an agent of the Spanish Federation and owns shareholding stock in an Andorran team - in order to obtain better comissions with the Saudis for the Supercup... Rubiales complained that his WhatsApp got hacked rather than explaining the deal.
- A year ago the Spanish Women team complained and revolted against Jorge Vilda's management... instead of listening to their players complaints he separated the plaintiffs.

TBH, knowing this people rule Span it's no surprise seeing how they are easily surpassed economically by the UK and even Portugal and Italy in things like transfer market value and marketability of their league. It's a shame because we all know Spanish football is elite and still one of the best football leagues in the world... I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 5 years La Liga teams begin struggling in Europe.
Its sad to hear this, I love Spain, have had so many great times in Spain and the people are really awesome.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think most of the media and most of Spanish football were surprised by his announcement yesterday. They seemed to mostly believe the leaks the night before that said he would be resigning. I couldn't see him leaving without a massive goodbye payoff but I assumed his friends were already preparing the paperwork.

RFEF's media team were in full flow last with photos and justifications. It's only a matter of time before they accuse Hermosa of setting him up. They also announced that players failing to respond to a national team callup will face sanctions (they can actually suspend players from all football in those cases). They've announced they're planning to sue FUTPRO for the statements they've published from Hermosa and the team.

Some football managers and some clubs are doing better than others at responding.

https://sevillafc.es/en/actual/news/official-statement-25-agosto-2023

https://www.osasuna.es/en/news/2254

Plastic Evra

I think most of the media and most of Spanish football were surprised by his announcement yesterday. They seemed to mostly believe the leaks the night before that said he would be resigning. I couldn't see him leaving without a massive goodbye payoff but I assumed his friends were already preparing the paperwork.

RFEF's media team were in full flow last with photos and justifications. It's only a matter of time before they accuse Hermosa of setting him up. They also announced that players failing to respond to a national team callup will face sanctions (they can actually suspend players from all football in those cases). They've announced they're planning to sue FUTPRO for the statements they've published from Hermosa and the team.

Some football managers and some clubs are doing better than others at responding.

https://sevillafc.es/en/actual/news/official-statement-25-agosto-2023
Feels like they're delaying the inevitable in defense of someone not doing himself any favours. When the complete roster of first choice performers essentially goes on strike, it's obvious the relation is strained to such a degree that can't just dig your feet in the ground.
As I understand the team must soon play qualifiers for the Olympics ?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Jesus Christ man, have some self awareness, it was a wildly inappropriate thing to do.

Even if he claims to have been in an emotionally driven overzealous frenzy, its not like he's some ancient relic in old age who may not have realised it was inappropriate, guys in his mid forties, same as me and I barely shake female colleagues by the hand anymore, just to be on the safe side.

Apologise profusely and disappear.

Withnail

This is getting a bit mad. There are claims RFEF have used doctored photos to back up the president's claims he was lifted up in their latest statement.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Feels like they're delaying the inevitable in defense of someone not doing himself any favours. When the complete roster of first choice performers essentially goes on strike, it's obvious the relation is strained to such a degree that can't just dig your feet in the ground.
As I understand the team must soon play qualifiers for the Olympics ?
He's not bothered whether Spain's women get to the Olympics or not.

It's also very clear from RFEF and Rubiales that they are very much digging in and planning to fight this out. They've got a series of still photos that they are using to justify the idea that Jenni Hermosa is the enthusiastic hugger who lifts him off his feet and agreeds to the "peck" on the lips happily. Doubtless millions of people will agree with their explanation - or claim to. Some will even invent their own explanations of why his behaviour was normal or ok.

He's vulnerable to lots of complaints - legal and reputational, but his vulnerability will increase if he resigns. Without the protection from the people who rely on him for their careers, access or favourable treatment, he's going to be exposed to more complaints - this is not a one off incident.

Chances are he's spent the last few days shredding expense claims and deleting emails and having a few conversations reminding people of their past misdeeds. He's probably got more work to do there as well. With a bit of luck he's gone too far this time and someone inside RFEF will feel they have to be a whistleblower despite any possible repercussions.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
This is getting a bit mad. There are claims RFEF have used doctored photos to back up the president's claims he was lifted up in their latest statement.

They've picked out a few stills and written long explanations about how they prove that Hermosa approved of what happened.

It's not so much that the photos are doctored, it's that when you see them outside the overall context of the video they can try plausible denial as a defence.

Plastic Evra

He's not bothered whether Spain's women get to the Olympics or not.

It's also very clear from RFEF and Rubiales that they are very much digging in and planning to fight this out. They've got a series of still photos that they are using to justify the idea that Jenni Hermosa is the enthusiastic hugger who lifts him off his feet and agreeds to the "peck" on the lips happily. Doubtless millions of people will agree with their explanation - or claim to. Some will even invent their own explanations of why his behaviour was normal or ok.

He's vulnerable to lots of complaints - legal and reputational, but his vulnerability will increase if he resigns. Without the protection from the people who rely on him for their careers, access or favourable treatment, he's going to be exposed to more complaints - this is not a one off incident.

Chances are he's spent the last few days shredding expense claims and deleting emails and having a few conversations reminding people of their past misdeeds. He's probably got more work to do there as well. With a bit of luck he's gone too far this time and someone inside RFEF will feel they have to be a whistleblower despite any possible repercussions.
If I was the decrepit corrupt old head sitting on the board of a federation (pure assumption), I'd probably try to shift him in a non public position and essentially a closet unrelated to the Women's team to let the heat die.

I don't know the players win this (they haven't last year) but the RFEF will suffer a big reputation hit by going this way, I think.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Spanish fa is now suing her
That was always going to be the case. As soon as Rubiales talked about having consent and Jenni Hermosa saying no he didn't, he (funded by RFEF) would head to the lawyers. We're one step away from him declaring this was a setup planned in advance to trap him.

RFEF are also suing FUTPRO for their role in this.

It's standard. They're suing the woman worker who brought the first series of allegations against him (years ago) as well.

andrepierson

From the clip it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Is is inappropriate? YES. Should they ask him to resign for this? I think that's a bit exaggerated

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
What a cnut this fella is

Denis79

It's clearly role-play, nothing to see here.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
From the clip it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Is is inappropriate? YES. Should they ask him to resign for this? I think that's a bit exaggerated
In isolation I can see why some might say this

But it comes from a dodgy background for Spanish FA and him in particular

If he'd given a proper apology 'Sorry but i got carried away with the celebrations, I now realise this was inappropriate and won't happen again', most people probably would have accepted it and moved on

But the way it's all been handled with bad statements, non apology, pressure on her to say she consented etc is what has turned a molehill into a mountain

Lightbringer

Is there a full video of the entire Hermoso VS Rubialies approach or are there only cut and edited videos aka highlight videos of Rubiales kissing previous player on the cheeks and lifting them before showing the kiss but not entire interaction with Rubiales?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The women's team have been here before. Last year, when the squad complained (privately) after the Euros, Rubiales went onto all our public attack. Meanwhile, Perez effectively ordered the Real Madrid women not to join the players complaining or they'd be putting their careers at risk. This time, with the nation looking on, the players won't be so easy to ignore or dismiss.

For the men, it's noticeable that it's players who are now outside the national team who've backed Hermosa and the women. It's no surprise though, the career risk is high when it's done as an individual. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of statement from the squad though, probably vaguely worded about respect, reconciliation and apologies being needed.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Spanish football is a big swamp, always was. Men like Rubiales and Tebas in leading positions is all you need to know. One can only hope that public pressure will be enough this time. I think the men team need to follow the women and also refuse to play the next games. Women's strike alone won't be enough to remove him, because he surrounded himself with strong nepotism.

Lightbringer

Victim blaming
In isolation I can see why some might say this

But it comes from a dodgy background for Spanish FA and him in particular

If he'd given a proper apology 'Sorry but i got carried away with the celebrations, I now realise this was inappropriate and won't happen again', most people probably would have accepted it and moved on

But the way it's all been handled with bad statements, non apology, pressure on her to say she consented etc is what has turned a molehill into a mountain
I think you are completely wrong here. I dont think he would ever make it out alive regardless of what he had done or said afterwards. We have to realize there are 10-15 players who literally were handed a golden chance to get rid of Rubiales, so in my mind once they were going to land on Rubiales like a brick of wall and force him out!

If you are hunted prey as Rubiales, it only takes one slip to get the whole movement going against you full force, and that point its pretty much game over.

I dont think there was anything sexual or nefarious in what he did to Hermoso.I´d rather think he behaved like an immature teen when he put a hand to his crotch in the stands, for that there is no excuse at all. I found that to be a worse offense than the peck. That could also be seen as the chief losing his emotional cool and behaving in an unfit manner.

I think also its possible for Rubiales to be carried away in celebration and Hermoso feeling uneasy, meaning the two could feel completely different about what happened.

Last edited:

fps

This, this incident right here, this is what is wrong with so many men. This sexual assault happened filmed in front of millions and still men think it’s fine. This creeps needs sacking immediately.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Is there a full video of the entire Hermoso VS Rubialies approach or are there only cut and edited videos aka highlight videos of Rubiales kissing previous player on the cheeks and lifting them before showing the kiss but not entire interaction with Rubiales?

I watched the entire thing the day after the game but cant do that again and now it seems most of the footage have been edited to a anti-Rubiales compilation, at least thats whats being spread on twitter.
Most of the raw footage that does appear gets deleted for rights violation. FIFA are probably the only people with everything from the after match.

As for "anti-Rubiales" compilation, there are also pro-Rubiales compilations and stills out there. Including the photos Rubiales is using via the official press office of RFEF to make his case.

Rubiales is trying to turn it into a, "my word against hers." If it wasn't for the widespread (and wide ranging) complaints about him in the past maybe he would get away with it. Indeed if you read the level of abuse the women are getting on Twitter - he should be believed, presumably because he's a poor misunderstood man who was brutally tricked into kissing Jenni Hermosa, just so she could complain later.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think you are completely wrong here. I dont think he would ever make it out alive regardless of what he had done or said afterwards. We have to realize there are 10-15 players who literally were handed a golden chance to get rid of Rubiales, so in my mind once they were going to land on Rubiales like a brick of wall and force him out!

If you are hunted prey as Rubiales, it only takes one slip to get the whole movement going against you full force, and that point its pretty much game over.

I dont think there was anything sexual or nefarious in what he did to Hermoso.I´d rather think he behaved like an immature teen when he put a hand to his crotch in the stands, for that there is no excuse at all. I found that to be a worse offense than the peck.

I think also its possible for Rubiales to be carried away in celebration and Hermoso feeling uneasy, meaning the two could feel completely different about what happened.
Well I don't agree but I guess we will never know as he didn't make the simple apology

If you look back at the timeline - it was only after his first statement (the non apology) that things really blew up

Lightbringer

Most of the raw footage that does appear gets deleted for rights violation. FIFA are probably the only people with everything from the after match.
The video feed are cutting away as Rubiales has finished hugging the player before Hermono to a spanish player kissing the trophy. Which means the build up to the 5 seconds clip we are seeing are missing and nobody have seen it except whoever has footage rights and possible access to the camera angle on Rubiales the entire ceremony. I assume the entire footage will be available for everyone to see in court (unless either side gets to it first and deleted it from the face of earth) which is good, then it can actually be proven if Rubiales and his defense have used doctored images., which would be nail in the coffin for both Rubalies and anyone involved in falsifying of evidence!

Check at 28:50:

https://footyfull.com/fifa-womens-world-cup/spain-vs-england-20-08-2023/

With the way its going now the best thing is everything is presented in court, witness-testomonies of people Rubalies & his crew pressured into applying pressure on Hermoso to play down the incident, the full video of the interaction etc.

Heck, if its a criminal trial there will possible be discovery on both sides, which means we could get a clear cut picture of everyones actions, not by hearsay but by facts.

At the moment I think Rubiales is a douche who deserves to get canned, but probably not by this incident alone, which could mean he has a good chance of winning in court even if he is morally on thin water.

Last edited: