WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

RoyH1

That's not normal excitement...that's someone who has had a little bit too much tooted up his nose!
Famosly Rubiales once said that the only thing he feared was having one of his enemies putting a package of cocaine in the boot of his car. Biggest freudian slip I've ever seen.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Poor Zabaleta. They do kinda look a like though.

Chief123

Mum gone on hunger strike and locked herself in a church. Spanish FA writing to UEFA asking to be banned. feck me this story is so ridiculous :lol:
What a brilliant weight loss diet. Get your son to commit sexual assault and you can kiss goodbye to those pounds.

VanKenny

Quality control
Kind of says a lot about how easy we have it as a society nowadays, when a kiss is enough to have millions of people outraged and asking for heads. The fact that there have been 100x more articles about the kiss than about the world cup they won and the players that achieved it is kind of ridiculous.

The player herself went on a radio show and said she didn't really care about the kiss at all, it was just two friends celebrating an amazing feat, but now the media has turned her and the entire team, Spanish federation of football, and all the media consumers into political puppets, making it seem like we are in a fight for women's right and things have to take a drastic turn because whatever we are doing right now apparently is borderline evil and oppressive.

Doesnt take much vision to foresee the sort of replies this post will get, but hopefully im not alone on my way of thinking, not because i need someone to agree with me, but rather because id like a bit of hope that not everyone is quick to follow the herd and the witch hunt.

edit: "woke" and "snowflakes"

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Kind of says a lot about how easy we have it as a society nowadays, when a kiss is enough to have millions of people outraged and asking for heads. The fact that there have been 100x more articles about the kiss than about the world cup they won and the players that achieved it is kind of ridiculous.

The player herself went on a radio show and said she didn't really care about the kiss at all, it was just two friends celebrating an amazing feat, but now the media has turned her and the entire team, Spanish federation of football, and all the media consumers into political puppets, making it seem like we are in a fight for women's right and things have to take a drastic turn because whatever we are doing right now apparently is borderline evil and oppressive.

Doesnt take much vision to foresee the sort of replies this post will get, but hopefully im not alone on my way of thinking, not because i need someone to agree with me, but rather because id like a bit of hope that not everyone is quick to follow the herd and the witch hunt.
Was waiting for you to mention „woke“ and „snowflakes“. Slightly disappointed

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
You can go join Rubiales' mom's hunger strike if this cause is so important to you. The address is Avenida Pio XII, 9 (Motril).

You're being really really really selective about what Jenni Hermoso said about it there bud.

She said she didn't like the kiss but 'what can you do?' That's quite a lot different from saying you don't really care, right?

Edit; double quote

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

You really should do a bit of research into the history of what the Spanish womens football teams have had to deal with over the last 20 years.

VanKenny

Oh don't worry, you're not. One of you is even the boss of spanish football.
Another one is the alleged "victim" herself, which is on record on two different times saying she didnt care about it.

You're being really really really selective about what Jenni Hermoso said about it there bud.

She said she didn't like the kiss but 'what can you do?' That's quite a lot different from saying you don't really care, right?

Edit; double quote
I cant post media, but theres an interview where the reporter asks her if she knows about how the entire nation is talking about her kiss, and she responds with saying "other people can talk about it, i dont really care to be honest, im world champion and thats all i care about"

Of course shes no longer the world champion anymore, world has convinced her that shes a victim of sexual abuse and thats what shes worldwide known for now.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You really should do a bit of research into the history of what the Spanish womens football teams have had to deal with over the last 20 years.
Don’t bother. I think he simply wants to be an edgy contrarian.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
On a more serious note,

I think you are missing the point that this is not an isolated incident that 'the media' conjured up.

15 players from the Spanish women's NT asked not to be called up, in an attempt to force out the manager Jorge Vilda. There were other players who did not join in, but publicly supported, including
Jenni Hermoso, who said the situation with the NT was "unsustainable."

Rubiales took a hard line against the players and protected the manager, saying that players would not be allowed back unless they admitted their mistakes and apologized. Some of the players ended up caving and returned, most didn't.

Rubiales and Vilda won, the players lost.

That's why Hermoso would downplay the incident and say it was just "two friends." They're not friends. He's their boss who beat them in this struggle.

But Rubiales' behavior and the sympathy towards the NT after the win has tipped the scales. So now it's not 15 players saying they won't be back, it's all of them.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

VanKenny

Right, lets judge one man for the actions and history of an entire nation. Both him and Hermoso are just two political tools along with everybody else getting involved

Stack

Right, lets judge one man for the actions and history of an entire nation. Both him and Hermoso are just two political tools along with everybody else getting involved
What a stupid take.
There is a long history of the Spanish womens teams having to deal with sexist bullshit and a long history of abuse of power and position. You keep demonstrating you have absolutely no comprehension of the issues at hand or the history behind all this.
Clueless

VanKenny

May you should read her statement... although the quotation marks on the word victim really tells me everything I need to know about your position and hermoso could literally call you right now and you'd still dismiss it.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...a-sexist-act-jenni-hermosos-statement-in-full

Yeah, im aware of that. Thats why i said they are being used as political tools. Her initial statements was that she didnt really care, and after being bombarded by media that she got sexually abused, suddenly the kiss between friends becomes a worldwide fight for equality and shes the spearhead of it. Its like we cant take her initial word for it, shes not smart or self aware enough to realize she was a sexual abuse victim so we gotta let her know about it right?

Either way, i guess that's the world we live in now. Kind of expected worse replies so I'm at least grateful that some people are open to a discussion and tried to be serious with the discussion and argued against my very different and apparently edgy opinion. All im saying is, this has been blown out of proportion, and nobody should be losing their jobs over it. No point in me arguing about it anymore.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Rubiales isn't losing his job over the incident itself. He's losing his job over everything that happened after.

Stack

Yeah, im aware of that. Thats why i said they are being used as political tools. Her initial statements was that she didnt really care, and after being bombarded by media that she got sexually abused, suddenly the kiss between friends becomes a worldwide fight for equality and shes the spearhead of it. Its like we cant take her initial word for it, shes not smart or self aware enough to realize she was a sexual abuse victim so we gotta let her know about it right?

Either way, i guess that's the world we live in now. Kind of expected worse replies so I'm at least grateful that some people are open to a discussion and tried to be serious with the discussion and argued against my very different and apparently edgy opinion. All im saying is, this has been blown out of proportion, and nobody should be losing their jobs over it. No point in me arguing about it anymore.
The issue wasnt sexual abuse, it was the issue of it being inappropriate enabled by one person in a position of power being able to do as they wish upon another in a lesser position.
You keep deleting bits off her initial comment so that it fits your narrative.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

If you read about harassment and abuse, you'll find it's very common for people to downplay that abuse when they believe they have no power and will suffer if they tell the truth. In this case, the spanish players were coming from a battle with the FA where they were defeated and rubiales came out on top. Once it becomes clear the victim (without quotation marks) will actually have support, they're more likely to tell the truth. That's what's happened here, you're the one trying to turn basic right like not being harassed at work into an artificial political battle.

There is a battle going on, between those who believe women should be able to work without being harassed and those that think harassment is just harmless and not worth firing people over.

The weird part is that you know full well that if a woman you love (wife, daughter, sister) was kissed by her boss without her consent, you would be fecking furious and nothing short of his resignation would be acceptable.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Rubiales is in no way a 'friend' of Hermosa. That's a really weird word to choose here. It allows you to dismiss the kiss, but it's not true.

Also, the kiss is indeed a minor incident. It's getting huge because Rubiales has lashed back HARD, refusing to admit that maybe that kiss wasn't entirely appropriate (which would have been simple and would have made this thing blow over pretty quickly), and instead putting the machinery of the Spanish FA in action to bully and discredit Hermosa. That is what made this into a big thing - especially since this is not the first he's bullied the women's team into submission (see @Iker Quesadillas's post above), and he himself wasn't the first to treat women's football this way in Spain.

So it's really Rubiales (or the entire Spanish FA leading clique) that have allowed this to spiral into something much bigger - and now it is. And so that's not because the world has gone mad, but because people are pushing back against this continuous abuse of power.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Video in the bus where they joke and compare it to the one of Iker (Casillas) to Sara in the 2010 World Cup.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Rubiales is in no way a 'friend' of Hermosa. That's a really weird word to choose here. It allows you to dismiss the kiss, but it's not true.

Also, the kiss is indeed a minor incident. It's getting huge because Rubiales has lashed back HARD, refusing to admit that maybe that kiss wasn't entirely appropriate (which would have been simple and would have made this thing blow over pretty quickly), and instead putting the machinery of the Spanish FA in action to bully and discredit Hermosa. That is what made this into a big thing - especially since this is not the first he's bullied the women's team into submission (see @Iker Quesadillas's post above), and he himself wasn't the first to treat women's football this way in Spain.

So it's really Rubiales (or the entire Spanish FA leading clique) that have allowed this to spiral into something much bigger - and now it is. And so that's not because the world has gone mad, but because people are pushing back against this continuous abuse of power.
Ye I agree with this - the kiss itself is secondary at this point and personally I think it's a stretch to call it 'sexual abuse', but it's certainly an abuse of power. This situation is more about Rubiales non apology and decision to double down in a power play.

Obviously there is a lot of history here which makes a huge difference and explains why this has now spiralled into something far bigger than it ever should have been - I just hope some long term positive change can come from it.

I cant post media, but theres an interview where the reporter asks her if she knows about how the entire nation is talking about her kiss, and she responds with saying "other people can talk about it, i dont really care to be honest, im world champion and thats all i care about"

Of course shes no longer the world champion anymore, world has convinced her that shes a victim of sexual abuse and thats what shes worldwide known for now.
I'm not aware of that interview, but I am aware of multiple statements where she says that she didn't like it, she didn't consent to it and she felt pressured by the rfef to speak in defence of Rubiales.

You're being pretty selective with which of her statements you choose to listen to if you choose to dismiss all of that.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Video in the bus where they joke and compare it to the one of Iker (Casillas) to Sara in the 2010 World Cup.
They all look very oppressed and concerned in giving Jenni support to go and report to the authorities immediately… So is it ok for a victim of sexual abuse to radically change her opinion? What is the legal basis for sexual abuse in Spain/New Zealand?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Seeing reports now that he’s gone. About feckin time if true.
If not, the whole stupid saga continues until he is gone.

cafecillos

Just to add some context, this video was leaked to a far-right twitter scumbag (shocker) who then made it public and, more importantly, Rubiales was on that bus too.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I doubt Hermosa felt like a victim of sexual abuse after the kiss. It's clear that she thought it was weird though - he's not her friend, he's her boss' boss. Her dressing room comment, "I didn't enjoy it, but what am I supposed to do," is probably a fair summary.

What she did want to do was celebrate winning a World Cup. She told the press that she only wanted to talk about football. She jokes with her teammates about the "Iker and Sara," moment - a kiss between lovers.

When she sobers up she's still thinking what she thought at the start - inappropriate, didn't like it, not much I can do about it.

Rubiales gets asked by the media to explain his behaviour. At that point he could have got away with a straightforward apology - he doesn't, he blusters. He begs Hermosa to help him - she doesn't want to, so he goes ahead with a solo non-apology of a public statement and gets his media team to make up a statement that they claim comes from Hermosa.

Hermosa probably still doesn't feel like a victim of sexual abuse. But I bet she is now getting increasingly pissed off with something that must be feeling more like workplace sexual harassment and bullying every time he and his cronies say or write something.

By the time he's getting RFEF to threaten to sue her for not backing him up on his story, she's angry. You can bet she's feeling harassed by her boss's boss and all his cronies after that move. Plus by now, every pat on the bottom, overlong hug, little peck and every inappropriate remark and condescending act - the ones she experienced, the ones she saw, the ones other players have told her about will be front and centre in her brain.

Rubiales was too arrogant to apologise right at the start - it might have stopped it going any further. What's happened now though is that the lid has been lifted on Rubiales and his mates and all the bad smells are coming out.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I doubt Hermosa felt like a victim of sexual abuse after the kiss. It's clear that she thought it was weird though - he's not her friend, he's her boss' boss. Her dressing room comment, "I didn't enjoy it, but what am I supposed to do," is probably a fair summary.

What she did want to do was celebrate winning a World Cup. She told the press that she only wanted to talk about football. She jokes with her teammates about the "Iker and Sara," moment - a kiss between lovers.

When she sobers up she's still thinking what she thought at the start - inappropriate, didn't like it, not much I can do about it.

Rubiales gets asked by the media to explain his behaviour. At that point he could have got away with a straightforward apology - he doesn't, he blusters. He begs Hermosa to help him - she doesn't want to, so he goes ahead with a solo non-apology of a public statement and gets his media team to make up a statement that they claim comes from Hermosa.

Hermosa probably still doesn't feel like a victim of sexual abuse. But I bet she is now getting increasingly pissed off with something that must be feeling more like workplace sexual harassment every time he and his cronies say or write something.

By the time he's getting RFEF to threaten to sue her for not backing him up on his story, she's angry. You can bet she's feeling harassed by her boss's boss and all his cronies after that move. Plus by now, every pat on the bottom, overlong hug, little peck and every inappropriate remark and condescending act - the ones she experienced, the ones she saw, the ones other players have told her about will be front and centre in her brain.

Rubiales was too arrogant to apologise right at the start - it might have stopped it going any further. What's happened now though is that the lid has been lifted on Rubiales and his mates and all the bad smells are coming out.
Great summary.