WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

fallengt

What exactly should Hermoso be punished for?
For starter she should keep story straight. I personally, dislike the natural of cancel culture, so when this kind of stuff happens, it leaves bad taste in my mouth. Not saying she should be in jail something like that, don't be daft. A Slap in the wrist? no lunch for a week? maybe
No word for Rubiales nor I'm defending him, no way. Whatever truth is behind this, he should resign because he made himself center of the attention in a women's event. That's inappropriate enough.

Tbh, I don't speak Spanish. Lot of things are in grey zone and I can't decide. Just a feeling it's not a straight up story based on what I've seen.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
For starter she should keep story straight. I personally, dislike the natural of cancel culture, so when this kind of stuff happens, it leaves bad taste in my mouth. Not saying she should be in jail something like that, don't be daft. A Slap in the wrist? no lunch for a week? maybe
No word for Rubiales nor I'm defending him, no way. Whatever truth is behind this, he should resign because he made himself center of the attention in a women's event. That's inappropriate enough.

Tbh, I don't speak Spanish. Lot of things are in grey zone and I can't decide. Just a feeling it's not a straight up story based on what I've seen.
She was asked about the incident when celebrating winning a World Cup. She basically said ”I don’t care, I’m focusing on being a champion.”

If you bothered to read about or listen to victims of s*xual harassment, it’s often very confusing and takes time for the events to sink in and grasp what actually happened.

Cancel culture? Give me a break. People wanting a FA boss to be fired for kissing a player (employee) without consent is somehow wrong?

There would be no boycots etc. arranged if he just admitted he was wrong and resigned. Him and the FA brought this on themselves by doubling down on it and threatening to sue the player and exclude players from the national team etc.

Whatever the truth is? It’s there for all of us to see on the video. No ”grey zones”.

All of this leaves a bad taste in my mouth too. Because of what he did and how him and the FA handled this. Not because of anything Hermoso did.

This is a classic case of abusing the power a male boss has in a workplace.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Hermoso made one official statement in English which was absolutely clear, did you read it and which bit confused you?

The rest is just media noise so ignore it

NixxxoN

Supports
FC Barcelona
The whole issue is quite a bit more complicated that it seems. It's been reported that she didnt care at all for that, it was friendly bantering, in the heat of the moment and celebrations - they had good relationship, even she has been apparently heard saying she wanted to stop all this nonsense... however the spanish left wing governent and feminist movement have reportedly been encouraging her (encouraging to say the least) to say its an aggression, and to fully denounce it.
The thing is, this would not be the first time a woman purposefully lies or fakes something on that matter to damage a man's reputation in Spain (public affairs), so many people are refusing to buy the aggresion thing - the whole affair is messy and ugly, and just for a little kiss, has became a political thing, it has become a feminist vs non-feminist battle.
It was an unprofessional behavior no question, but, does he deserve to be fired just for that kiss? Many people think so, but many others don't and think it's enough with a public apology, like he did.

Dan_F

Being forced to leave your high profile job because you literally jumped on a woman, grabbed her head and kissed her on the lips is not cancel culture. Pretty sure I’d get sacked for that too.

fallengt

Being forced to leave your high profile job because you literally jumped on a woman, grabbed her head and kissed her on the lips is not cancel culture. Pretty sure I’d get sacked for that too.
Probably true. But Dalai LaMa tongue kissed a little boy live so I'm not sure anymore

Care_de_Bobo

The whole issue is quite a bit more complicated that it seems. It's been reported that she didnt care at all for that, it was friendly bantering, in the heat of the moment and celebrations - they had good relationship, even she has been apparently heard saying she wanted to stop all this nonsense... however the spanish left wing governent and feminist movement have reportedly been encouraging her (encouraging to say the least) to say its an aggression, and to fully denounce it.
The thing is, this would not be the first time a woman purposefully lies or fakes something on that matter to damage a man's reputation in Spain (public affairs), so many people are refusing to buy the aggresion thing - the whole affair is messy and ugly, and just for a little kiss, has became a political thing, it has become a feminist vs non-feminist battle.
It was an unprofessional behavior no question, but, does he deserve to be fired just for that kiss? Many people think so, but many others don't and think it's enough with a public apology, like he did.
It's only complicated if you want to make it so. The guy also grabbed his crotch moments earlier. He absolutely deserves to be fired, he wouldn't get away with that in any other profession in any progressive society.

'Just a little kiss' are words used to try and downplay his actions by those defending him, we all know how important language is in forming narratives. What's next though 'Just a little nipple rub' or 'Just a little waist grab'? The aggressor and his defenders don't get to decide the magnitude of something, that's for the victim to decide.

It also highlights the inequality between genders because if the Spanish men's team had won the world cup in Qatar do you think he would have dared plant a kiss on the lips of one of the men in that environment? No chance. He would also be out of a job by now for sure and Infantino would probably have given a public apology on his behalf to the Qatari people.

Dan_F

If he took any responsibility and apologised at the beginning, it would have likely blown over. The fact that he’s doubled down and acted like a twat will probably lead to his removal.

NixxxoN

Supports
FC Barcelona
The aggressor and his defenders don't get to decide the magnitude of something, that's for the victim to decide.
Thats one of the issues of the story, Jennifer doesn't seem to care much, and doesn't seem to decide for that, others do. Other people that don't like him and want his head for other reasons, obviously.
If he took any responsibility and apologised at the beginning, it would have likely blown over. The fact that he’s doubled down and acted like a twat will probably lead to his removal.
He did apologize at the beinning. Whoever says he didn't, is wrong.

Last edited:

Ainu

You're advocating for her to be slapped on the wrist for being kissed on live tv without giving her consent to it and failing to immediately know how to react to something like that, moments after a winning a world cup. Repeat that sentence to yourself a couple of times and actually think about what you are saying here. It's completely insane.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Where are all these people coming from exactly?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What public apology?

If only Rubiales had just said sorry right away, this whole thing wouldn't have exploded the way it did, and no-one would be asking for his head.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Where did she not keep her story straight? See @jojojo's post at the bottom of the previous page for a summary.
Probably true. But Dalai LaMa tongue kissed a little boy live so I'm not sure anymore
Yes, and that raised a lot of eyebrows and he apologized.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I remember a few years ago I had to attend an harassment class or whatever it's called, as it was mandatory for everyone who started at that company. I remember being in that class and thinking "who the feck needs this? this is the most common sense stuff imaginable" but after reading threads like this and especially social media, these classes should be mandatory everywhere, as a lot of people seem completely oblivious of very basic stuff.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid

For starters, you could feck off with these stupid takes. She gets forcibly kissed, doesn't know how to respond in the moment and says it was not welcome. And now you want her to be punished, after being forcibly kissed, because she didn't immediately respond in a satisfactory manner for you? Feck right off. And funny how the "I'm not excusing Rubiales but.." crowd always seem to be doing exactly that.

It isn't that complicated. But the rest of your dumbass post speaks volumes. 'These lying women!'

Caught in 4k, forcing a kiss on someone and we still have idiots trying to twist the story and come up with stupid excuses. And then wondering why women don't come forward....infuriating.

SteveCoppellFan

The guy deserve to go no matter what, but ive always thought Spain was a dodgy country when it comes to sport.

Weren't half the Barca side back in the day on PEDs to make them run all day ?

There was also stories about the government stopping a inquest in Rafa Nadal's potential drug use in tennis and basically covering it up.

I think everyone in a high sport job in Spain probably think they can do pretty much as they please...that guy has probably done way worse and got away with it, no wonder he is refusing to leave !

Allegedly obviously ...

fallengt

And funny how the "I'm not excusing Rubiales but.." crowd always seem to be doing exactly that.
Maybe i really do meant it? Not everything is a "us vs them"
And somehow we just ignore the bus video where she was just swinging with surrounding opinions (teammates chanting for another kiss). The bus story was leaked on first day btw, not recently. Another dressing room talk where she downplayed/didn't like the kiss "by a man" (Assuming the translation was correct).
And she swayed her view again when public say they know it better.

Am i wrong for saying that's not a straight story? Whatever reason behind is depend on where's your stand on this.

Also I've never said she was not a victim. She is, in a sense that she didn't ask for any of this. But as far as this story goes, there a few grey areas for both parties.
It may sound like victim blaming but this is just a slow/stoic approach as I don't see it as crystal clear as people. I don't know Hermoso personally, pardon me for not figuring out how she would particularly react to thing like this as quick as some of you did.
And it was more a tongue in cheek when I jokingly said "punish" , I meant they should think twice before escalating it because there can be consequence, even as small as a slap in the wrist.

But you're right, i should feck off, until the next development. Hope not though, shit shouldn't be this complicated.

Anyway my view on Rubiales hasn't changed from the start. Just in case, posters think I'm singling out Mrs. Hermoso here. This post is full of "her" because posters here decide to focus on that part of my previous posts

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
And somehow we just ignore the bus video where she was just swinging with surrounding opinions (teammates chanting for another kiss). The bus story was leaked on first day btw, not recently.

Am i wrong for saying that's not a straight story? Whatever reason behind is depend on where's your stand on this.

Also I've never said she was not a victim. She is, in a sense that she didn't ask for any of this. But as far as this story goes, there a few grey areas for both parties.
It may sound like victim blaming but this is just a slow/stoic approach as I don't see it as crystal clear as people do.
And it was more a tongue in cheek when I jokingly said "punish" , I meant they should think twice before escalating it because there can be consequence, even as small as a slap in the wrist.

But youre right, i should feck off, until the next development. Hope not though, shit shouldn't be this complicated.

Anyway my view on Rubiales hasnt changed from the start. Just in case, posters think im singling out Jenni here
Shit isn’t. People like you are complicating it with all this ”grey area” and ”not a straight story” talk.

And somehow we just ignore the bus video where she was just swinging with surrounding opinions (teammates chanting for another kiss). The bus story was leaked on first day btw, not recently.

It may sound like victim blaming but this is just a slow/stoic approach as I don't see it as crystal clear as people do.

But youre right, i should feck off, until the next development. Hope not though, shit shouldn't be this complicated.

Anyway my view on Rubiales hasnt changed from the start. Just in case, posters think im singling out Jenni here
She got kissed in front of the world's cameras, by her boss, and she came our straight afterwards saying she didn't like it but what could she do.

As public support for her increased she felt more confident to make a legal challenge. Remember, the last time players publicly challenged Rubiales, he called them all brats and banned them from the team.

Why are you questioning everything except for Rubiales?

Dan_F

He did apologize at the beinning. Whoever says he didn't, is wrong.
It wasn’t an apology. He said he’s sorry it overshadowed the win, he didn’t understand why it was wrong and that he has to apologise because people are upset. He didn’t once say sorry to her. It was bullshit.

It was a classic way of saying “I’m sorry you feel that way” rather than “I’m sorry for my actions”

top1whoisman

Scout

ForeverRed1

Off topic but women’s football. Arsenal have been revealed as the club thats bid for Mary earps and their going to come back in for her :( giving them both Russo and earps would show a huge lack of ambition from us, we should be throwing everything to keep our best players.

Cloud7

And somehow we just ignore the bus video where she was just swinging with surrounding opinions (teammates chanting for another kiss). The bus story was leaked on first day btw, not recently. Another dressing room talk where she downplayed/didn't like the kiss "by a man" (Assuming the translation was correct).

It may sound like victim blaming but this is just a slow/stoic approach as I don't see it as crystal clear as people. I don't know Hermoso personally, pardon me for not figuring out how she would particularly react to thing like this as quick as some of you did.

But you're right, i should feck off, until the next development. Hope not though, shit shouldn't be this complicated.

Anyway my view on Rubiales hasn't changed from the start. Just in case, posters think I'm singling out Mrs. Hermoso here. This post is full of "her" because posters here decide to focus on that part of my previous posts
What exactly is the grey area on the part of the footballer that was kissed? What did she do that was iffy?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Rubiales mum taken to hospital due to hunger strike - mad old bat

no wonder Rubiales is a lunatic !

Ainu

Feel this has been blown out of all proportion. The guy made a mistake. It crossed a line, especially in such a public moment. He was obviously overjoyed in the moment and stupidly expressed his joy towards the player in the wrong way.

He has apologized. Spain FA chief Rubiales apologises for Hermoso kiss at final - ESPN
It was a completely half-hearted apology and since then he's been claiming he did nothing wrong and it was consensual, which further underlines that not a word of that apology was sincere. The escalation is all on himself and the Spanish FA.

By now, it's grown far beyond the kiss incident, it's about the systemic rot which seems to have plagued Spanish football years or even decades.

Eleven.

It’s all very simple. Would he have done that to Sergio Ramos? Hands round the back of his head in a very dominate hold and kissed his mouth? No he absolutely wouldn’t have. It was because she was female.

There are some extremely scary posts on here and in the MG threads that genuinely make me sad that so many men are still living in the dark ages when it comes to women and progressive society. WAKE UP.