WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

reuben290

For everyone saying that this would have all blown over if he'd simply just apologised are deluding themselves... COME ON! This is 2023. There's not a person on here who truly is 100% convinced by that nonsense. Apologies are simply not enough nowadays... the woke mob will not rest until you lose your career and are permanently cancelled... we all know this is the way things work now! You can mock what I say, and make all the sarcastic comments in the world that you like, if it makes you feel all sanctimonious and perhaps superior to me, particularly due to my use of the term 'woke', that's fine.... the reason people on here mock and criticise that term is because they know the meaning of it is perfectly describing them and their views in a negative way. Just like they used to hate the terms political correctness/PC brigade! But anyway this is going slightly off topic...

Despite my little rant... you might find that I actually agree with a lot of you on certain things! My actual view on the situation IS... what Rubiales did was inappropriate, no doubt. But from the footage, it doesn't look at ALL to me like the kiss was meant in a sexual way... he was simply overjoyed with the victory and got carried away in the moment! The big no-no for me, was kissing her on the lips. People say that he wouldn't have kissed a male Spanish player on the lips, and they're correct... I can imagine, he would have planted a kiss on their forehead instead, which I don't particularly think is an inappropriate thing to do when you're overjoyed... so he should have treated Hermoso the same way and kissed her forehead, if he had to kiss her at all... I don't think the reaction would have been quite the same but you never know in today's climate! He also handled the aftermath very badly... he should have properly apologised, to her privately, explained why he did what he did (being overjoyed and getting carried away in the moment etc), and then later, apologise publicly. I don't think it would have calmed the mob down (like others naively seem to think so), but at least he would have done the right thing. As for him claiming she consented, it seems unlikely, but I can't fully comment on that as I can't lipread, neither can I speak Spanish, nor can we see Hermoso's mouth moving in the very little seconds we see them interact with each other. So if she didn't say okay to the kiss, then he's idiotic for claiming that, and just another example of the situation being badly handled. I DO understand, from his perspective though, why he felt he had to defend himself the way he did, and I admire anybody who doesn't cower and bow down to the mob... however this wasn't the correct way to deal with the situation at the time. He should've properly apologised first, made it clear that he did the wrong thing, and then if they still kept coming for his head days later, make a statement and speak out against them then!

This is just my genuine opinion... not meant to provoke or offend, although I imagine it will do so... I expect nothing less from this forum! :lol:

For everyone saying that this would have all blown over if he'd simply just apologised are deluding themselves... COME ON! This is 2023. There's not a person on here who truly is 100% convinced by that nonsense. Apologies are simply not enough nowadays... the woke mob will not rest until you lose your career and are permanently cancelled... we all know this is the way things work now! You can mock what I say, and make all the sarcastic comments in the world that you like, if it makes you feel all sanctimonious and perhaps superior to me, particularly due to my use of the term 'woke', that's fine.... the reason people on here mock and criticise that term is because they know the meaning of it is perfectly describing them and their views in a negative way. Just like they used to hate the terms political correctness/PC brigade! But anyway this is going slightly off topic...

Despite my little rant... you might find that I actually agree with a lot of you on certain things! My actual view on the situation IS... what Rubiales did was inappropriate, no doubt. But from the footage, it doesn't look at ALL to me like the kiss was meant in a sexual way... he was simply overjoyed with the victory and got carried away in the moment! The big no-no for me, was kissing her on the lips. People say that he wouldn't have kissed a male Spanish player on the lips, and they're correct... I can imagine, he would have planted a kiss on their forehead instead, which I don't particularly think is an inappropriate thing to do when you're overjoyed... so he should have treated Hermoso the same way and kissed her forehead, if he had to kiss her at all... I don't think the reaction would have been quite the same but you never know in today's climate! He also handled the aftermath very badly... he should have properly apologised, to her privately, explained why he did what he did (being overjoyed and getting carried away in the moment etc), and then later, apologise publicly. I don't think it would have calmed the mob down (like others naively seem to think so), but at least he would have done the right thing. As for him claiming she consented, it seems unlikely, but I can't fully comment on that as I can't lipread, neither can I speak Spanish, nor can we see Hermoso's mouth moving in the very little seconds we see them interact with each other. So if she didn't say okay to the kiss, then he's idiotic for claiming that, and just another example of the situation being badly handled. I DO understand, from his perspective though, why he felt he had to defend himself the way he did, and I admire anybody who doesn't cower and bow down to the mob... however this wasn't the correct way to deal with the situation at the time. He should've properly apologised first, made it clear that he did the wrong thing, and then if they still kept coming for his head days later, make a statement and speak out against them then!

This is just my genuine opinion... not meant to provoke or offend, although I imagine it will do so... I expect nothing less from this forum! :lol:
He tried to pressure her into saying she consented. Then he tried to pressure her family into making her support him. Then he got his organisation to publish a fake response from her, saying that she consented. Then, when she said that she hadn't said any of those quotes, he threatened to sue her.

All of that is why there's been such a strong backlash. He is her boss. He has tried really hard to shut her up.

This isn't a man 'not cowering to the mob'. This is a man trying to intimidate one of his employees into giving him an alibi for the shitty thing he did.

Amazing the number of people who will defend someone who has done something nasty, just as long as they rant about feminism as well.

So this just popped up on my TikTok feed and I don't know what to make of it. The comments section is filled with the well well well meme in multiple languages.. https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSLWxBofK/

It shows the Spanish player laughing and being cheery in the team bus while holding up the kissing photo.
Doesn't matter at all.

Why try to interpret body language through a photo when the players have told you what they thought of the kiss in a detailed statement published for the world to see?

It's honestly terrifying the way the rfef have leaked images like this in their defence. It's like they think that if a woman says she didn't consent, a man just needs to find a picture of her being happy to invalidate her words. "Ah, but how can she say she didn't consent, your honour? She went to the same bar next week, and this picture shows her smiling! If she really didn't consent then surely she would still be traumatised!"

cafecillos

We will, because the whole post is a freethinking, anti-woke, social injustice warrior, snowflake bingo card. It almost reads like satire, but it isn't, sadly.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
So this just popped up on my TikTok feed and I don't know what to make of it. [...] It shows the Spanish player laughing and being cheery in the team bus while holding up the kissing photo.
Some seem to think that that coach/reaction video somehow undermines or contradicts the thrust of Hermoso's complaint, as though, because she's shown animated and upbeat that this proves the insignificance of Rubiales' transgression. Carmona, the scorer of the winning goal, was also seen celebrating in the wake of Spain's win, so maybe those who find Hermoso's behaviour on the team bus 'suspicious' also think that Carmona's mixture of winning joy and composure indicates that the news of her father's death didn't hit her very hard? People grappling with fresh personal stuff while out in public will often hold that stuff in, both to spare others and because they'd rather wait and deal with it when they're somewhere quiet and private. Ever heard the phrase 'putting on a brave face'?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

Yawn...

Pronewbie

Peep
Doesn't matter at all.

Why try to interpret body language through a photo when the players have told you what they thought of the kiss in a detailed statement published for the world to see?

It's honestly terrifying the way the rfef have leaked images like this in their defence. It's like they think that if a woman says she didn't consent, a man just needs to find a picture of her being happy to invalidate her words. "Ah, but how can she say she didn't consent, your honour? She went to the same bar next week, and this picture shows her smiling! If she really didn't consent then surely she would still be traumatised!"
Some seem to think that that coach/reaction video somehow undermines or contradicts the thrust of Hermoso's complaint, as though, because she's shown animated and upbeat that this proves the insignificance of Rubiales' transgression. Carmona, the scorer of the winning goal, was also seen celebrating in the wake of Spain's win, so maybe those who find Hermoso's behaviour on the team bus 'suspicious' also think that Carmona's mixture of winning joy and composure indicates that the news of her father's death didn't hit her very hard? People grappling with fresh personal stuff while out in public will often hold that stuff in, both to spare others and because they'd rather wait and deal with it when they're somewhere quiet and private. Ever heard the phrase 'putting on a brave face'?
I'm inclined to agree with anyone who says that he shot himself in the foot by doing something completely inappropriate in the first place.

But cancel culture/politicking for power is also real and hopefully she isn't just being used as a tool. IMO it only weakens the case for genuine gender equality.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
But cancel culture/politicking for power is also real and hopefully she isn't just being used as a tool. IMO it only weakens the case for genuine gender equality.
Honest to god I'll never understand this line of thinking. Holding someone accountable is not cancel culture, if I kiss one of my coworkers tomorrow without their consent I'll be sacked, not canceled. Acting when this happens is gender equality.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's lucky we live in a world where the kind of people who use "woke" and "cancel culture" are so fecking stupid that they reveal themselves to be mouth foaming nutjobs with very little encouragement.

cafecillos

Many use "cancel culture" to mean that there are now consequences to obnoxious and sometimes criminal behaviours that have gone unpunished and even cheered on for centuries, and they don't like that. They are, as @Mr Pigeon says, actually describing themselves when they use that language.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It's lucky we live in a world where the kind of people who use "woke" and "cancel culture" are so fecking stupid that they reveal themselves to be mouth foaming nutjobs with very little encouragement.
Add the "I'm just asking questions. I'm not saying she did or did not do this, I'm just asking questions" folks to that. The ones who use that to re-direct the discussion to anywhere else but to the people who are being accused of doing something obnoxious. It's so obvious and transparent what they try to do but they think they're so smart.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to agree with anyone who says that he shot himself in the foot by doing something completely inappropriate in the first place.

He did something totally inappropriate, then he abused his position of power by pressuring his employee, and her family, to lie to defend him. When she refused and told her truth, he threatened to sue her.

He is literally using his political power to try and get her to shut up. She tells the truth, and now *he* is the victim of cancel culture? Seriously??

This isn't a guy who can be trusted to run football. It's not cancel culture that proves this, it's how he has treated one of his employees in the most public arena imaginable.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Many use "cancel culture" to mean that there are now consequences to obnoxious and sometimes criminal behaviours that have gone unpunished and even cheered on for centuries, and they don't like that. They are, as @Mr Pigeon says, actually describing themselves when they use that language.
Thank you both <3

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

You also have to take into account that they just won the World Cup, they're obviously overjoyed and in a boisterous mood among friends in the team. So they're obviously going to have fun, and they're not going to have a social discourse on the sexual harrassment, the patriarchy and whatever.

Also, it was just a kiss, it wasn't a major, earth-shaking event. Yes, it was inappropriate; but by itself, it was not a huge thing; and so not something that would ever be likely to weigh heavily on Hermosa - especially not in that party mood. In reality, what has made this into a huge thing, is Rubiales subsequent behaviour (the non-apology, faking a Hermosa statement, bullying, and so on and so forth), coupled with the fact that he and the Spanish FA in general have significant priors on this.

So all this talk about whether or not Hermosa enormously minded the kiss and how much it shook her afterwards (or didn't) is really besides the point. Yes, the kiss started the whole thing, but it's a huge affair now because of the way Rubiales and the Spanish FA made it explode.

redshaw

It's not like he is some decent guy from a nice organization and just happened to get carried away in one moment. He's a coked up crotch grabbing, scheming behind the scenes lying cnut slobbering all over the team.

With so many players deciding not to play and the weird behavior from a coach pulling and pinching the faces of female players it's probably a good thing he didn't apologize. This WC win and spotlight should enable great change and respect with a clear out.

Grande

Btw, anbody know why Martial was cancelled after 60 mins last Saturday?

Withnail

Another one bites the dust :lol:

cafecillos

It's not like he is some decent guy from a nice organization and just happened to get carried away in one moment. He's a coked up crotch grabbing, scheming behind the scenes lying cnut slobbering all over the team
Yep, that's why all the deflections, whattaboutisms, devil-advocating and question-asking feel so unauthentic.

VanKenny

Was wondering why the political views on this forum were so radical and onesided, until i got banned for the posts ive made ITT which werent bad intended, offensive, or trolling whatsoever.

I said that this was overblown and a simple kiss should never outweight a world championship, and also said that the player herself had been on record twice saying that she didnt care about it and that she only cared about being a champion (as she should), until she was bombarded by the media who turned her into a political puppet.

Only now do i understand the opinions on not just this thread, but this entire forum. They censor anyone that doesnt align with the very racidal way of thinking that is now called "progress".

No im not complaining or crying about the ban, in fact im going to probably get one for this post too. Just wanted to let you guys that when you gang on a person with a diff opinion, and you feel like they are the rare ones and you are the majority (so you must be in the right), the actual reality is that this forum is incredibly sensitive and censors and blocks any opposing view, as mild as they may be, of what the mainstream media is telling you to think like.

Im guessing most people that have tried to post or give different opinions have simply been permabanned, or banned enough times to not even bother talking about anything other than football. Censoring a point of view isnt winning an argument, its closer to losing it than anything else.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

The moment you said woke mob I realised you are clueless

Stack

Was wondering why the political views on this forum were so radical and onesided, until i got banned for the posts ive made ITT which werent bad intended, offensive, or trolling whatsoever.

I said that this was overblown and a simple kiss should never outweight a world championship, and also said that the player herself had been on record twice saying that she didnt care about it and that she only cared about being a champion (as she should), until she was bombarded by the media who turned her into a political puppet.

Only now do i understand the opinions on not just this thread, but this entire forum. They censor anyone that doesnt align with the very racidal way of thinking that is now called "progress".

No im not complaining or crying about the ban, in fact im going to probably get one for this post too. Just wanted to let you guys that when you gang on a person with a diff opinion, and you feel like they are the rare ones and you are the majority (so you must be in the right), the actual reality is that this forum is incredibly sensitive and censors and blocks any opposing view, as mild as they may be, of what the mainstream media is telling you to think like.

Im guessing most people that have tried to post or give different opinions have simply been permabanned, or banned enough times to not even bother talking about anything other than football. Censoring a point of view isnt winning an argument, its closer to losing it than anything else.
What are these radical or very radical views you speak of?

cafecillos

Well, I probably wouldn't have banned you if it were my individual decision, but only in your first post in the thread you literally described what Rubiales did as a "kiss between friends", which means you were either spectacularly misinformed, which means you should have probably stuck to reading the thread to educate yourself before posting (the main discussion in the thread when you started posting was not a footballer's haircut, but much more serious issues, not the most appropriate subjects for frivolous or uninformed takes), or you were using that incredibly inaccurate language in bad faith. In your subsequent posts you showed you hadn't actually bothered reading anything and were just keen to continue with your devil-advocating points that had already been contested dozens of times in the thread, which made the ignorance excuse very unlikely.

NotThatSoph

You got warning points for quality control. When you're a newbie the treshold for that is way lower, so when you write very stupid things in the main forum you often don't last long regardless of topic. The whole point of the newbie system is to weed out low quality posters, because they're not wanted.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Radical and one-sided? Which side are you suggesting we actually take here?

The one where Hermosa gets kissed by her boss's boss, who pulls her head to his and no one thinks "what the feck"?
The one where Rubiales is incapable of apologising to Hermosa and asks her, her family and her teammates to help him avoid it?
The one where Rubiales asks his press office to make up a statement by Hermosa.
I could go on, but let's just say it ends with Rubiales getting RFEF to sue her because she won't back up his story.

We can also go into the context of the story and the past allegations against him of bullying, misuse of RFEF funds, corruption and sexual harassment if you want to hear more "sides" to the story.

Oh hang on. People in this thread have already done that, though they probably disappointed you by posting links to the mainstream media in Spain at the same time.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
As someone who's heard the phrase, "just laugh it off," applied to multiple incidents like racism, sexism, bullying - a reminder of just how easy it is to forget that not all victims will burst into tears, scream an insult or knee the perpetrator in the balls immediately. Many will simply walk away from the incident, some will end up walking away from a job or sport they love.

abundance

Supports
Inter
If you bothered to read about or listen to victims of s*xual harassment, it’s often very confusing and takes time for the events to sink in and grasp what actually happened.
pardon me, as this is totally off the tangent, but... why the asterisk?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
pardon me, as this is totally off the tangent, but... why the asterisk?
Words like that might trigger PTSD, anxiety etc. in people who have suffered from such things. Don't know if self-censoring helps any of them, but if it does I don't mind not using the full words.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Words like that might trigger PTSD, anxiety etc. in people who have suffered from such things. Don't know if self-censoring helps any of them, but if it does I don't mind not using the full words.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the answer.
I can't really say that I think it's useful but I do appreciate your tact and kindness.

VanKenny

Well, I probably wouldn't have banned you if it were my individual decision, but only in your first post in the thread you literally described what Rubiales did as a "kiss between friends", which means you were either spectacularly misinformed, which means you should have probably stuck to reading the thread to educate yourself before posting (the main discussion in the thread when you started posting was not a footballer's haircut, but much more serious issues, not the most appropriate subjects for frivolous or uninformed takes), or you were using that incredibly inaccurate language in bad faith. In your subsequent posts you showed you hadn't actually bothered reading anything and were just keen to continue with your devil-advocating points that had already been contested dozens of times in the thread, which made the ignorance excuse very unlikely.
And thats what matters. You would have engaged in a conversation, told me why you think im wrong, given me your arguments etc, thats what dialogue is. We could end up reaching a middle ground and agreeing with some things and disagreeing in others, or i could even end up changing my mind and telling you that you have changed my opinion.

When you completely silence others or block any sort of conversation, you arent doing any good. You are basically saying that theres no way anyone can change your mind (so you have the absolute truth), and also you are eliminating any possibility of changing the other one's way of thinking.

I understand banning or censoring people that are simply being agressive, insulting, purposefully dumb or combative, hurtful etc, that happens everywhere, but just silencing someone because according to whoever's opinion, they said something stupid or incorrect? Thats something else.

You got warning points for quality control. When you're a newbie the treshold for that is way lower, so when you write very stupid things in the main forum you often don't last long regardless of topic. The whole point of the newbie system is to weed out low quality posters, because they're not wanted.
Well yeah, thats exactly my point. This place is essentially an echo chamber.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I am not trying to have a go at the woke mob, who seem like nice people (wouldn't know, lol), just asking questions but when did it become politically incorrect to give a gal a little celebratory slobber and ask her family to lie about what happened? Are we really so far gone as a society that you can't even have your press team fabricate statements on the victim's behalf and then sue her when she won't corroborate the story?
This is like every guy's worst nightmare, a small innocent little thing gets blown all out of proportion and we are powerless to stop it, because "women's rights". This is the future liberals want apparently.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I am not trying to have a go at the woke mob, who seem like nice people (wouldn't know, lol), just asking questions but when did it become politically incorrect to give a gal a little celebratory slobber and ask her family to lie about what happened? Are we really so far gone as a society that you can't even have your press team fabricate statements on the victim's behalf and then sue her when she won't corroborate the story?
This is like every guy's worst nightmare, a small innocent little thing gets blown all out of proportion and we are powerless to stop it, because "women's rights". This is the future liberals want apparently.
Reported and you will be banned for this post.

Echo chamber assemble!

VanKenny

Earlier you spoke of this place and radical views. What are these radical or very radical views you speak of?
I could tell you, but im also wondering if you really want to know and you are interested about my opinion and open to dialogue and the possibility of maybe thinking "ok this guy may have a point", or you are simply baiting me into giving you a serious reply so you and others can laugh about it, misinterpret it or exaggerate it in a way that benefits you, so at the end you can be like "and things like this is why guys like you get banned".

Perhaps im getting way ahead of myself, but its simply the vibe that this place gives me.

Stack

I could tell you, but im also wondering if you really want to know and you are interested about my opinion and open to dialogue and the possibility of maybe thinking "ok this guy may have a point", or you are simply baiting me into giving you a serious reply so you and others can laugh about it, misinterpret it or exaggerate it in a way that benefits you, so at the end you can be like "and things like this is why guys like you get banned".

Perhaps im getting way ahead of myself, but its simply the vibe that this place gives me.
I really want to know because I dont understand what you mean by radical or really radical views. I dont see this place as having really radical views but maybe I am completely blind to them and if so then being made aware of them could be useful.