Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Like others have said, it was known that the Series X would be more of a continuity thing - the UI, the controller, lack of exclusive games until at least well into 2021. And that isn't a criticism - being able to use old controllers is great. The strategy there is mostly relying on game pass and the improvements to the back catalogue.

Here's a poll about it on ResetEra.

PS5 might be more up your alley with the focus on distinct generations with UI changes, controller overhaul and exclusive games during launch window.
To be fair, the launch line up has Halo and that's a different story. That wasn't the strategy, it was just timing and unfortunate.

The rest though about continuity and a focus on being iterative, absolutely. And I think that makes sense, but obviously it takes away some of the 'shine' away. Nobody can deny that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They’ve not got a clue. Been on the phone twice, keep getting told it’s going to be here by 10pm today, but that the despatch is delayed. Have heard others have recieved a seperate email explaining it’s delayed by 1-2 days and it’ll be delivered by Thursday.

I’m annoyed that it’s possible I might not get one for a little while
I’ve just got the dispatch email and it’s updated to tomorrow before 10pm :rolleyes:

mancan92

Anyone else a bit deflated with the X?

I don't know - I guess it's because I've turned it on - and it's not really any different from my One S - just a little bit snappier between menus but thats it? I've purchased via XAA so I'm paying £30 a month for what my One S was doing for free... ?

I guess it's because the controller is the same, the same UI, no awesome exclusive launch titles etc.

Hopefully I'll feel better as I play more but right now feeling a bit down.
Umm but this is all stuff you've known for months

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
To be fair, the launch line up has Halo and that's a different story. That wasn't the strategy, it was just timing and unfortunate.

The rest though about continuity and a focus on being iterative, absolutely. And I think that makes sense, but obviously it takes away some of the 'shine' away. Nobody can deny that.
Yeah, Microsoft went all-in on Halo being there, and it isn't like 343i had a lack of time to deliver either. I think they didn't expect the level of the negative reaction on the reveal this year and it set them back a bit.

Habs

Hope you all get it ASAP. Really shambolic on Amazon's end.

How early did you all secure the order?
The morning the Pre-orders went live. Supposedly Amazon have delayed Pre-order deliveries until Dec 31st in the US for some people, which must be infuriating.

I’ve got my PS5 Pre-order with them too :nervous:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Cheers damo. I ordered as soon as I could on the 22nd sept. Just got the dispatch email now and it should be here tomorrow. Joke from a company like Amazon. It’s surely one of the things they’d put the effort into smashing.

Anyway I’ve rewarded their ineptitude by ordering a hard copy of Valhalla off them.

Cloud7

The likelihood is that Consoles are going to stop being a thing in the future, as we move towards better internet infrastructure.
I don't think this is anywhere near on the horizon, as the amount of places that would have internet good enough to support this would be outnumbered by the amount of places that don't. It would be a lot of money lost out on moving towards this model.

Alock1

Yeah, Microsoft went all-in on Halo being there, and it isn't like 343i had a lack of time to deliver either. I think they didn't expect the level of the negative reaction on the reveal this year and it set them back a bit.
Definitely. They hyped it up a lot so it was clearly a surprise to them.

Otherwise you'd have bet on Forza being there, and they could have looked at pushing something like Wasteland 3 back. Instead they thought Halo would prop up launch and they could give other studios time to revisit engine and help elsewhere.

wr8_utd

:'(
Stepson just opened the Series S it's shockingly small. I mean I was expecting it to be small but damn it's crazy.

The pad feels that little bit better too with the extra grip and better D pad.
How's the gaming experience been so far?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
@Bojan11 or anyone who knows

How does performance mode work? Is it set from the Xbox or the game itself? Would be easier for the game to remember and switch automatically rather than having to keep dipping into Xbox settings when you switch from say cod to AC

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Definitely. They hyped it up a lot so it was clearly a surprise to them.

Otherwise you'd have bet on Forza being there, and they could have looked at pushing something like Wasteland 3 back. Instead they thought Halo would prop up launch and they could give other studios time to revisit engine and help elsewhere.
Yeah. I was really surprised about there being no Forza, but makes sense that they thought Halo was pretty much ready.
I don't think this is anywhere near on the horizon, as the amount of places that would have internet good enough to support this would be outnumbered by the amount of places that don't. It would be a lot of money lost out on moving towards this model.
Yeah. Microsoft are trying to get a headstart on it but realistically most countries are another 2 or 3 generations away from having the necessary infrastructure.

The morning the Pre-orders went live. Supposedly Amazon have delayed Pre-order deliveries until Dec 31st in the US for some people, which must be infuriating.

I’ve got my PS5 Pre-order with them too :nervous:
Likely going to be worse with the sheer amount of them compared to Xboxes. Can only hope they've learned from today.
Cheers damo. I ordered as soon as I could on the 22nd sept. Just got the dispatch email now and it should be here tomorrow. Joke from a company like Amazon. It’s surely one of the things they’d put the effort into smashing.
Unfortunately it seems like they're just another parcel to them in the billions they move each day. If the PS5 launch ends up being just as much of a disaster, I'll shift to Very for the PS6. Had no complaints about the PS4 launch from them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Unfortunately it seems like they're just another parcel to them in the billions they move each day. If the PS5 launch ends up being just as much of a disaster, I'll shift to Very for the PS6. Had no complaints about the PS4 launch from them.
Yeah I think I'll be going with Very next time. The two things you can count on usually from Amazon are swift delivery and good customer service. Both have been very poor with this. Still can't believe the guy did this ':p' when my £450 item was missing.

Castia

How's the gaming experience been so far?

He's just downloading his games but the UI is fast as feck. Impressive little console, pretty amazing they what they got inside such a small box.

Deffo got me thinking about getting one for a Gamepass box

Bojan11

@Bojan11 or anyone who knows

How does performance mode work? Is it set from the Xbox or the game itself? Would be easier for the game to remember and switch automatically rather than having to keep dipping into Xbox settings when you switch from say cod to AC
Depends on game. Didn’t see any options for Valhalla as that’s 4K and 60fps already. For Yakuza there was normal mode which is 1440p/60fps or high fidelity which is 4k/30fps.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Depends on game. Didn’t see any options for Valhalla as that’s 4K and 60fps already. For Yakuza there was normal mode which is 1440p/60fps or high fidelity which is 4k/30fps.
Is that option inside the game then? Guessing it is from what you've said.

Bojan11

Is that option inside the game then? Guessing it is from what you've said.
Yeah for Yakuza you have to choose in the menus. For AC it’s just default.

It will be the same for COD, you will need to go in the menus for what settings you prefer.

Balljy

Yeah, it's gutting when something you really want doesn't arrive but I don't believe they should treat the parcels with more preference. I have a £750 item arriving from them tomorrow and would not be pleased if it got halted "because Xbox". Just as gutted as the people in here who haven't got the consoles - ideally they would just be able to scale up and shift them all on time

wr8_utd

:'(
He's just downloading his games but the UI is fast as feck. Impressive little console, pretty amazing they what they got inside such a small box.

Deffo got me thinking about getting one for a Gamepass box
Yep can see a lot of PS users also going down this route to get the best of both worlds .

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Do you always post garbage? Been on it since 1pm. It’s been slow which is expected, but has not been down.
I know you’re upset because you’ve spent the day playing Tetris on your new console and posting on RedCafe but don’t get angry at me for posting facts.

Bojan11

I know your upset because you’ve spent the day playing Tetris on your new console and posting on RedCafe but don’t get angry at me for posting facts.
What facts? You made the second most posts in this thread. Those are real facts.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Nice i'd kept checking for that. Cheers pal.
I was the exact same. Checking gamepass most of the day!

Tidied up my apps and games, downloaded what I wanted to play, updated everything and copied to my external HDD for when the Series X final arrives.

feck all else to do until the post office/GameStop sort their shit out.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
BOOM. Tracking finally updated, in the Dublin sorting office at lunchtime today, should be sorted by now and here tomorrow.

Woodzy

I genuinely think there’s too much choice atm. There’s loads I didn’t play on my One X but nothing really feels new either.

Gonna give Doom a try I think.

Cole9

I secured my order within minutes of them going live, so Amazon have no excuse really. Still not had any further update from them today. Might see if I can get a voucher out of them for the inconvenience.

Alock1

I genuinely think there’s too much choice atm. There’s loads I didn’t play on my One X but nothing really feels new either.

Gonna give Doom a try I think.
I much prefer this to the Xbox One launch though. Which whilst having a better line up, you quickly ran out of stuff to play after swapping between the same 2-3 games and having no backwards compat to play.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
@Alock1 You was right about the downloads being slow. It might have something to do with having another game running, though. I don't know if quick resume counts.

I’m at a loss on what to play in this thing already. What a waste.
Try Tetris Effect on GP. I'm loving it. It looks great, as well.

Cole9

Just had a farcical chat with Amazon on their live chat. The first guy told me that the Xbox hasn't been released yet and that's why they haven't dispatched it :lol: Then he changed his mind and told me it's out of stock. Then he left the chat mid-way through a conversation. Absolute clown.

Then I spoke to another person and they said they haven't been able to process all the deliveries in time and that's the reason for the delay. So, still gotta wait for that dispatch email...

They didn't offer me a voucher either!