g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Xherdan Shaqiri | Stoke player signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

Considering our desperate need of depth, getting Shaqiri for 13m is brilliant business. I have great trust in Klopp on the transfer market, particularly attacking wise. That said, I hope he isn’t our only addition to the forward line.
For that price it’s a no lose situation. I don’t rate him really but I’m sure he’ll be a fine squad option that you’s can conceivably make a profit on.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
For that price it’s a no lose situation. I don’t rate him really but I’m sure he’ll be a fine squad option that you’s can conceivably make a profit on.
That’s my take on it as well. But like I said, I’d really like us to get at least one more quality back up to the forward line. Ideally one that can fill in for both Salah/Mane and Firmino. We’re still just an injury away from having to field Solanke or Ings.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If Klopp manages to transform Shaqiri’s mentality into something more in line with what a team player should have, he’ll do well there. His defensive ‘efforts’ for Switzerland at the World Cup were a disgrace but he’s an otherwise-decent footballer.
That's the tactics swiss applied not just down to him

Robbie Boy

That’s my take on it as well. But like I said, I’d really like us to get at least one more quality back up to the forward line. Ideally one that can fill in for both Salah/Mane and Firmino. We’re still just an injury away from having to field Solanke or Ings.
Yeah I think Ings needs a fresh start elsewhere and Solanke a loan somewhere where he’ll be a starter, maybe a good Championship club. I’m stunned a shit tonne of clubs don’t seem to be in for Shaqiri at that price, though.

Flytan

No clue why people are against signing him. Cheap with high upside. Worst case scenario he's shipped off after a year for a similar price.

Our right side is in shambles and this buy is staring us right in the face

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No clue why people are against signing him. Cheap with high upside. Worst case scenario he's shipped off after a year for a similar price.

Our right side is in shambles and this buy is staring us right in the face
Because he's not better than Mata.

Flytan

Mata isn't even a winger. Shaqiri will at least provide some width. He's far better than Mata when it comes to doing the job of a right winger, especially when it's clear the right side of our attack has been useless for years now.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I think Ings needs a fresh start elsewhere and Solanke a loan somewhere where he’ll be a starter, maybe a good Championship club. I’m stunned a shit tonne of clubs don’t seem to be in for Shaqiri at that price, though.
Yup, I can't really disagree with any of this. Ings was improving before that long injury took him out, and Solanke isn't getting a sniff right now... I'd love to see him at Villa, or perhaps even one of the freshly promoted sides.

We're crying out for squad depth, and £12m for someone of upper-mid table quality who's happy to come in & spend a lot of time on the bench is more than good in my eyes.

Seven Seas Sardines

Better, younger, stronger, quicker. No idea what you're on about. Mata hasn't been great since he left Chelsea. He'd be a huge improvement in quality, although team spirit might take a hit. More petulance than hugs on the bench. If we won't play Sanchez or Lukaku on the right, and don't wanna splash the cash, he's an obvious choice.

Robertd0803

The laughable thing is if we bought him the Liverpool fans would ridicule us yet they buy him and some of the nonsense on twitter is nauseating. Also not a surprise.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
The laughable thing is if we bought him the Liverpool fans would ridicule us yet they buy him and some of the nonsense on twitter is nauseating. Also not a surprise.
I wouldn't personally as I'm not like that, but you have to admit he'd be a pretty underwhelming buy for United if he was bought to be first choice. At least for us he'd be a squad player: If we'd sold Salah & replaced him with Shaqiri, people would be going mental.

I expect United to end up with someone better.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Better, younger, stronger, quicker. No idea what you're on about. Mata hasn't been great since he left Chelsea. He'd be a huge improvement in quality, although team spirit might take a hit. More petulance than hugs on the bench. If we won't play Sanchez or Lukaku on the right, and don't wanna splash the cash, he's an obvious choice.
I'd rather splash the cash than get someone to cut inside all the time on the right.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
hed be a bargain of the season... the guy once played fror bayern and he's a better palyer now and of course he could have looked much worse in that stoke team...

Leif GW

Am I the only one who absolutely hate this guy's style of play? It's just a bunch of bad decisions due to tunnel vision as far as I am concerned. Occasionally he'll score a nice goal but most of the time I just loathe the guy. Can't think of a more annoying player.

keener

I rate this guy. I wanted him for our squad since he came to the EPL (back when we were buying the likes of Memphis) and still believe he'd have been a good addition. People are constantly saying he's a head case and I can't speak to that. Did we see evidence at Stoke? He and Arnautovic played quite well together IMO.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Quality player for the amount of money they are paying.

It's difficult to sign a talented player for less than 15m. The question is, where would he play?
Probably back up to Mane/Salah. I don’t think he’d be any good as a number 10.

Colombian Mancunian

For 13 million in today’s market will be a good option for a squad player. Not enough quality to be a starter RW for United; I hope we land someone like Bale or at least Willian.

Judas

Open to offers
It's a brilliant option for the price. Pretty confident by the time christmas rolls around, if not sooner, plenty on here will be wishing we'd gone for it.....because Bale is already out with an injury.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It's a brilliant option for the price. Pretty confident by the time christmas rolls around, if not sooner, plenty on here will be wishing we'd gone for it.....because Bale is already out with an injury.
An attacking player performing at Liverpool is completely different. They have no concept of managing the game like United or City do. It's like Arsenal under Wenger where they played aggressively no matter what the situation and eventually concede silly goals.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Well obviously, we're not an attacking team, we're defend first. Not really my point though.
Oh right, I forgot a player linked with another team is massively overrated on here. I'm sure if we bought him and Bale got injured he'd still be warming the bench because Mata would be ahead of him. That's why we aren't actually buying him, because Mata was name dropped by the manager as one of the players he trusts!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not a bad role player for that price. Decent back up, who just falls short to be a top player.

Weirdest build player I've seen.

evil_geko

People underrate Lingard all the time, but Lingard is actually better than this fella IMO. So it wouldn't make any sense if we went after him, better go after an actual upgrade.

Toad

Gives them good depth in that position but he is so bad a tracking back that Klopp will really need to give him a kick up the arse or they will be worse off defensively

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
That's him off to somewhere else in two years for a knockdown price.

starman

We better have a winger lined up. preferably a left footed one, if not , I would be disappointed of not taking Shaqiri @ 13m as a squad option

Ekeke

I think hes good enough to have come in and outdone Mata and Lingard as a right winger. Theres obviously better wingers we could go for... But will we?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Shaq is decent but I don't think he'll get Old Trafford excited in terms of a title race. His asking price is a big occasion unlike his disability to provide consistency throughout whole season.

It's definitely good news if United is really looking for a big time player on that position.

K8A

Supports
Liverpool
As a backup player on the right wing, at that price, it is a no-brainer.

Can't think of many better backup right wingers in the PL than him atm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.