Yellow Vests UK Version

Bola

I don't think this answer is quite right.

'Our boys' in this context normally refers to the armed forces. What they actually mean by 'justice' though is anyones guess. It could mean better post-deployment support, it could mean better equipment, or it could mean allowing our soldiers to commit war crimes without having to face trial or criticism. I would suspect it's most likely the latter.

May also be a more specific EDL context too, mind. Probably not worth trying to work out what the feck they are trying to say.
In terms of the 'our boys' reference, it could be the recent abuse claims made against British Armed Forces.

Here us a link to provide a taste of where these inquiries went wrong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-38937053

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Surely to god you already knew that UK wasn't the worst for any of those though?
Wait what!? I sort of feel bad now, I though you were disputing the statics I brought up earlier, hence why I was happy to be proven wrong(For example I said infant mortality has had a rise in the UK not that it's the highest in the EU).

Yeah we clearly are not talking about the same subject.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
You need links to prove that the UK isn't the worst in terms of of those statistics? Fine.

UK not the worst for homelessness:

https://www.theguardian.com/housing...-crisis-point-all-eu-countries-except-finland

UK not the worst for work poverty:

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-eurostat-news/-/DDN-20180316-1?inheritRedirect=true

UK not the worst for child poverty:

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/stati...ildren_at_risk_of_poverty_or_social_exclusion

UK not the worst for infant mortality:

https://www.ined.fr/en/everything_a...loped-countries/birth-death-infant-mortality/

Surely to god you already knew that UK wasn't the worst for any of those though? So I don't know why you're even slightly arguing that point.
Not being the worse doesnt mean its not bad or ideal, though.

The Firestarter

I think that's a rather bizzare measurement, if we are taking about millions of people then I think it's fair to say the uk has a huge problem with poverty.
Nigeria has a huge problem with poverty. Congo has a huge problem with poverty. UK does not have a huge problem with poverty.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Nigeria has a huge problem with poverty. Congo has a huge problem with poverty. UK does not have a huge problem with poverty.

I'm sure if you just tell poor people they should be happy to not be drone strikes at their kids birthday party then everything will go just fine, it's what the last few years has shown us anyway.
But anyway this is pointless agrument. You have one judgment on what huge means and I have another.

There's a cock joke somewhere here

Phil Jones Face

'Our boys' in this context normally refers to the armed forces. What they actually mean by 'justice' though is anyones guess. It could mean better post-deployment support, it could mean better equipment, or it could mean allowing our soldiers to commit war crimes without having to face trial or criticism. I would suspect it's most likely the latter.

May also be a more specific EDL context too, mind. Probably not worth trying to work out what the feck they are trying to say.
No, the answer is quite right right time around. They're campaigning about 3 boys, having claimed it was terror related and murder. There's a lot about it on google.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/josh-harry-george

https://www.facebook.com/OurBoysJustice/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43195171

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
No, the answer is quite right right time around. They're campaigning about 3 boys, having claimed it was terror related and murder. There's a lot about it on google.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/josh-harry-george

https://www.facebook.com/OurBoysJustice/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43195171
The BBC report is so contradictory to the facebook page. I haven't heard of terrorists who drive with 2.5x alcohol and cannabis before hitting 3 people on an otherwise empty road.

With no other context, I'd say this campaign is based around the skin colour of the perpetrator.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
When it comes to picking fruit at least it was largely women and children who did that in the 60s and 70s.
Quite often undertaken by couples and families using their 2 week breaks and the farm I grew up on we also had Romany people harvesting hops but none of them full time jobs.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Ah yes. The old "they could be in a hut in Africa" argument. A statement usually rolled out by people who are comparatively well off as part of the ongoing denigration and demonisation of the poor. We've also had this in the Brexit thread with multiple claims about how people aren't really that poor including the classic "I used to drive near there and it didn't look that bad" alongside the African references.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46236642

The UN clearly talking bollocks in the above and needing lads on the caf to point them in the direction of some proper mud hut poverty and not the idle British working class who have brought it all on themselves.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What must posters from really poor countries think when they see a bunch of British posters arguing about how bad their country has it. "Brexit has fecked their little minds!"

Every country has their issues, nobody is arguing that things here are perfect... but yes, things could indeed be worse.

Never fear, the yellow vests are here.... and failing that, Brexit will fix it.

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's easy to form opinions. The fact is there are a lot of egos and their opinion is about as valued as a box of toilet paper and they will wipe their butt on it. If people have a complaint? Power to them if it's legit. We should have done it when these politicans thought up bedroom tax ffs. The French people are being taxed to death and doing what they have to. Here, if your situation is decent, it's hard to imagine how tough it could be and why would you even care tbh? The fact is everything is a word game with politics. People voted out? Nah you misunderstood we meant a deal or remain. Sorry. Lots of fear mongering. There are too many people on the streets. You see them everywhere in stations, sleeping in parks, in hospital waiting rooms...we're a developed nation. Let's get our ____ together.

Big corporations getting away with little to no tax? The money system IS a con. It's not gold standard and the only reason to create interest is to cause debt and the only reason to create debt is to seize control or seize assets. But too many homeless. We can import the third world, but what about the people who need help who are here now? So yeah there is inconvenience caused and there is lots of nonsense that comes out of it. But the truth is people have turned a blind eye and become lazy because I find it hard to imagine why anyone in this country wouldn't want US the people...to have a say in our laws. This is what it's coming down to. Even if the choice was evil vs lesser evil - cause they don't really care either way but we have to have a say..so from brexit POV, to me it's a non brainer cause the alternative is a dictatorship

If we want to be like China? Then let's continue down this road. Why not? Maybe it will do some people some good to see where we're going. I don't think people get it. This lack of empathy/understanding and not realizing the bigger picture, has destroyed this country.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Here's the thing, if their agenda wasn't sprinkled with a bit of racism here, a bit of xenophobia there, and if they were more inclusive in what they were trying to achieve... I might be a bit more receptive.

I'm open to a people's movement that I can feel a part of, that includes other issues that are important to me. It ain't this...

So don't get it twisted.

Cloudface

It's easy to form opinions. The fact is there are a lot of egos and their opinion is about as valued as a box of toilet paper and they will wipe their butt on it. If people have a complaint? Power to them if it's legit. We should have done it when these politicans thought up bedroom tax ffs. The French people are being taxed to death and doing what they have to. Here, if your situation is decent, it's hard to imagine how tough it could be and why would you even care tbh? The fact is everything is a word game with politics. People voted out? Nah you misunderstood we meant a deal or remain. Sorry. Lots of fear mongering. There are too many people on the streets. You see them everywhere in stations, sleeping in parks, in hospital waiting rooms...we're a developed nation. Let's get our ____ together.

Big corporations getting away with little to no tax? The money system IS a con. It's not gold standard and the only reason to create interest is to cause debt and the only reason to create debt is to seize control or seize assets. But too many homeless. We can import the third world, but what about the people who need help who are here now? So yeah there is inconvenience caused and there is lots of nonsense that comes out of it. But the truth is people have turned a blind eye and become lazy because I find it hard to imagine why anyone in this country wouldn't want US the people...to have a say in our laws. This is what it's coming down to. Even if the choice was evil vs lesser evil - cause they don't really care either way but we have to have a say..so from brexit POV, to me it's a non brainer cause the alternative is a dictatorship

If we want to be like China? Then let's continue down this road. Why not? Maybe it will do some people some good to see where we're going. I don't think people get it. This lack of empathy/understanding and not realizing the bigger picture, has destroyed this country.
But this country has had a say in two general elections and a referendum in the past four years. They voted Tory and Brexit, two positions which ensure poverty, hardship, less control, more inequality and a greater expansion of the kind of economics you despise.

Abizzz

Big corporations getting away with little to no tax? The money system IS a con. It's not gold standard and the only reason to create interest is to cause debt and the only reason to create debt is to seize control or seize assets.
What do you think would be better with the gold standard? (Full disclosure: I think the western world would be nowhere as developed if it had stuck to the gold standard).
But too many homeless. We can import the third world, but what about the people who need help who are here now? So yeah there is inconvenience caused and there is lots of nonsense that comes out of it. But the truth is people have turned a blind eye and become lazy because I find it hard to imagine why anyone in this country wouldn't want US the people...to have a say in our laws. This is what it's coming down to. Even if the choice was evil vs lesser evil - cause they don't really care either way but we have to have a say..so from brexit POV, to me it's a non brainer cause the alternative is a dictatorship
And this why it's so fecking hard to take any brexiteers serious anymore. The EU is not a dictatorship, it's a completely ludicrous allegation dreamed up by the ignorant uninformed. Being in a community that collectively decides on rules is not a dictatorship.

I really wish you people had to explain to Hitler's, Stalin's or Mao's victims why you are using their horrible fate as a lazy political argument. It's nauseating.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes of course, problem is they are more prominent these days and can infiltrate into people's lives through social media and people will always believe what they want to believe, trouble is too many don't take a step back and actually consider what's being forced into their minds.

I remember the 70s all too well, I was studying for my A levels by candlelight in 1973. The second time I ever voted was in the 1975 referendum but not for the reasons the leavers pretend people voted for back then.

Usually I am an optimist but if the UK really leave with no deal, no British stiff upper lip and resilience is going to save them from big problems this time.
I was working for a major UK aero engine company during the terrible conflicts between the TU's and the government. We were on strike just after we got married and had bought a house. The interest rate was increasingly every month and I can tell you we really struggled to pay the mortgage.
You can imagine how that era would have played out today...

You are totally right about the effects of social media. This is actually the only online forum I use but as we know it can easily distort individuals views.
If they see it written down they tend to believe it.

We will have to try to educate our young to be far more sensible in its use but on this issue I am far from optimistic.

nimic

something nice
Scout
We will have to try to educate our young to be far more sensible in its use but on this issue I am far from optimistic.
As a teacher, I have to say that from my personal experience the young are a lot more resistant against this sort of online manipulation than older generations. People 40+ are a lot more likely to believe something because they read it online than the young are. We do have some work to do still, but I don't think the older generations are the ones to do the teaching.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As a teacher, I have to say that from my personal experience the young are a lot more resistant against this sort of online manipulation than older generations. People 40+ are a lot more likely to believe something because they read it online than the young are. We do have some work to do still, but I don't think the older generations are the ones to do the teaching.
I’ve heard that before. The most optimistic way to look at the way people are so easily duped online is that we’re living in a unique time when a huge number of people are incredibly naive about the validity of online content because the internet is a relatively new concept to them an they’ve grown up in a world where the written word can usually be trusted. Once they die off and get replaced by a new, more internet savvy, generation then we should be ok. I like that way of looking at things.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That is both interesting and encouraging.
I am hoping you will say that is because our younger generation are better educated in general?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I was working for a major UK aero engine company during the terrible conflicts between the TU's and the government. We were on strike just after we got married and had bought a house. The interest rate was increasingly every month and I can tell you we really struggled to pay the mortgage.
You can imagine how that era would have played out today...

You are totally right about the effects of social media. This is actually the only online forum I use but as we know it can easily distort individuals views.
If they see it written down they tend to believe it.

Also bought my first house in 77 , was never out of work or on strike but getting a letter every couple of months saying the interest had increased and thus the repayments had shot up meant that sometimes it was a choice between paying the mortgage or eat.

Social media is getting worse and have just got rid of Facebook, have nothing else. It does tend to be the older generation that believe the lies but tends to follow more the intelligence of people than their age, maybe younger people have been better educated on the whole but there are plenty who are just as ignorant as their elders and there are plenty of older people who are far more intelligent than younger people.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Only one would expect that-you.
No, people who understand english

adjective
adjective: huge;
  1. extremely large; enormous.
    "a huge area"
    synonyms : enormous, vast, immense, very large, very big, great, massive, cosmic, colossal, prodigious, gigantic, gargantuan, mammoth, monumental, tremendous, stupendous;Plus

antonyms : insignificant, tiny

nimic

something nice
Scout
I’ve heard that before. The most optimistic way to look at the way people are so easily duped online is that we’re living in a unique time when a huge number of people are incredibly naive about the validity of online content because the internet is a relatively new concept to them an they’ve grown up in a world where the written word can usually be trusted. Once they die off and get replaced by a new, more internet savvy, generation then we should be ok. I like that way of looking at things.
Yeah, I like to think that this is correct.

That is both interesting and encouraging.
I am hoping you will say that is because our younger generation are better educated in general?
Maybe, sort of? In this specific case, I think it's more a case that, as Pogue says, the young are simply more digitally competent than older generations. But that certainly means that they have a better foundation for properly using (and choosing) all the sources of information they have available. They're not perfect, but they grasp it a little bit more instinctively.

Pogue Mahone

Yeah, I like to think that this is correct.

Maybe, sort of? In this specific case, I think it's more a case that, as Pogue says, the young are simply more digitally competent than older generations. But that certainly means that they have a better foundation for properly using (and choosing) all the sources of information they have available. They're not perfect, but they grasp it a little bit more instinctively.
My 9 year old son told me I shouldn’t believe everything I read on wikipedia yesterday. Which surprised me and pleased me in equal measures.

afrocentricity

Off topic but I watched a news segment last week where they showed that you can now convincingly make a fake video of someone. They illustrated this by making a video of Obama giving a speech that he obviously had never given, and it was convincing. They finished off by stating that this tech will turn up in phone apps soon enough (oh joy)...

Shits set to get worse....

Pogue Mahone

Off topic but I watched a news segment last week where they showed that you can now convincingly make a fake video of someone. They illustrated this by making a video of Obama giving a speech that he obviously had never given, and it was convincing. They finished off by stating that this tech will turn up in phone apps soon enough (oh joy)...

Shits set to get worse....
Yeah that’s going to be a game changer. Like 99% of online technological advances it will be mainly used for porn initially but it’s scary to think how effective it could be as a tool for propaganda.

Edit: I think the technology is called “DeepFake”

afrocentricity

Yeah that’s going to be a game changer. Like 99% of online technological advances it will be mainly used for porn initially but it’s scary to think how effective it could be as a tool for propaganda.

Edit: I think the technology is called “DeepFake”
Yup that's the one.

Rajma

Didn’t think it was a thing and only some sort of joke but it keeps popping up on my Twitter feed, russian trolls are now certainly on it too. The state of this country.

Charlie Foley

No, people who understand english

adjective
adjective: huge;
  1. extremely large; enormous.
    "a huge area"
    synonyms : enormous, vast, immense, very large, very big, great, massive, cosmic, colossal, prodigious, gigantic, gargantuan, mammoth, monumental, tremendous, stupendous;Plus

antonyms : insignificant, tiny
And which one of those means more than 50%?

Dave89

That's backbench Tory policy for soldiers who murdered in Northern Ireland.