Your earliest football memory

prath92

whats yours? I have a slight memory of the euro 2000 final though I don’t remember anything clearly. I can just about remember that my mom was watching the final

Actual memory is Diop scoring the goal vs France in 02 World Cup.

Club football level, first memory is Giggs bending it in vs Bolton and the commentator went ‘who needs Beckham now’

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
World Cup USA 1994 was The first major tournament I followed closely. So many memorable matches. Still the best tournament to this day to me personally.

The first EPL match I watched: Liverpool vs Blackburn Rovers 2 - 1 (1995).

Fingeredmouse

Hansen and Miller running into each other against USSR to put Scotland out of the '82 World Cup on goal difference.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Some random United game in the 90's. I remember wanting Beckham to get the ball more often as he seemed pretty good and liking that Keane kept passing it to him.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
1983 fa cup final, my old man had just retired as a jockey and I'd moved to a town after living on stables all my life and remember being at a party and all the dads were watching the FA cup final, still didn't get interested for another couple of years when I was about 13 and started playing at high school

AN17

Clear memory would be WC 2002. Senegal win against France, Brazil vs England pre quarters, Korea entering semis and the final.

Sadly, I don't distinctly remember my first United game/memory. Just a faint feeling of watching the red jersey with the Vodafone on it, and the likes of Beckham and Ruud playing in it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
First clear memory is the penalty shootout between Holland and Denmark in 1992. I remember my dad saying when Van Basten was about to take his; ah van Basten will surely score, here we go.... no!

I remember telling my mom that huge blond goalkeeper must've used doping because no one could possibly be that good.

Nicklas

WC ‘94, I don’t know why but I remember the Swedish commentator said that one of the main reason the Brazilian NT got many swedish supporters were because of the similarities between the Brazilian and Swedish kit.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Finding a Neil Adams 1995 football sticker in the school playground.

I can remember the feeling like it was yesterday.

In terms of actual football, probably the 1996 FA Cup final. Though it definitely wasn't my first as I was already a United fan at that point, just the first that comes to mind that I can think of.

Edit: Just remembered that I can vaguely remember a penalty shootout featuring Italy where someone missed. There were some delivery blokes delivering a sofa watching it while they were here. So that might have been Baggio in 1994, unless there was another similar one within the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
My father watching a match of the 94 world cup. Dimly remember seeing a player in a german jersey on our TV, but that's all that's left.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Watching Ireland versus England at Italia '90. I'd like to think I remember Ray Houghton scoring against England at Euro '88, but I reckon that's just from seeing it so many times on TV since. With Italia '90 I can remember where I watched most of the Ireland games, who I was with, etc.

First United memory is the Cup Winner's Cup final in '91. For some reason I don't remember anything of the 91/92 season except Denmark winning the Euros, then after Cantona arrived I remember everything pretty much clearly.

Sparky Rhiwabon

The first live game I remember watching was Forest vs Spurs. Forest had a great team and ended up winning the league.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Wc 94 followed by a few games here and there but the big one was the 95/96 fa cup final. 1-0 against liverpool. King Eric with the late goal against the spice boys and their shitty suits. Been hooked ever since then.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Van Basten scoring the winner against Germany in 1988, the rest of the tournament I can't remember.

Except, like Olly, sticker memories: We collected & exchanged Panini stickers at school, lots of moustaches and mullets.

Flax_Generous

I vividly remember seeing Denmark win the European Championship Final in '92. I saw it in a bar in Denmark with my parents, and everybody was incredibly loud and and happy and obnoxious. I still hate loud, happy people, but back then, when I was five, it really freaked me out. Some guy even had an air horn he used when Denmark scored. I felt like a dog on New Year's Eve.

A year later, when United won the inaugural Premier League title, my dad gave me a poster of the team, and since then I've been a fan of United. Genuine glory hunter. I even still have the poster.

PeteReDevil

iPete
I vividly remember seeing Denmark win the European Championship Final in '92. I saw it in a bar in Denmark with my parents, and everybody was incredibly loud and and happy and obnoxious. I still hate loud, happy people, but back then, when I was five, it really freaked me out. Some guy even had an air horn he used when Denmark scored. I felt like a dog on New Year's Eve.

A year later, when United won the inaugural Premier League title, my dad gave me a poster of the team, and since then I've been a fan of United. Genuine glory hunter. I even still have the poster.
:lol: that must have been scary. I remember seeing the danes go nuts in the news when they won it

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I cried when England went out of Euro 96. Turns out Southgate's always been a disappointment to me.

The earliest United memory I remember distinctly was attending a Champions League group game in 1996 against Rapid Vienna (we won 2-0).

Charlie Foley

I remember vaguely some match when I was in preschool/kindergarten (so much have been 1995/96 season) where Beckham and Cantona were playing. I remember Beckham being hurt/injured near the penalty area but can't remember which, and Cantona talking to the guy who did it and thinking Cantona is nice he protects his friends :lol:

I can remember the 98 WC pretty well, and wanting England to beat Argentina (noteworthy since I'm Irish) and Brazil to win the tournament.

The first MOTD I remember watching was St Stephens Day 1998, I remember Blackburn beat Villa 2-1 and Blackburn scored a goal with a handball but the analysts laughing about it. I was happy because my dad had told me it was good for United that villa lost, they started that season strong .

Member 55725

Ireland 0-0 Romania; World cup 90.

It was then indented in my memory because I watched the recording of it with my brother about 100 times. We used to watch all 120 goal-less minutes before the penalties too. If I seen my kids do that I don't whether I'd be proud or worried...

Oaencha

Five years old. My uncle showing me the 1990 League Cup Final and replay against Palace on VHS. The day I fell in love with Utd.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
My earliest memory is a vague recollection of the Euro 92 final between Denmark and Germany.

I remember the 94 World Cup quite well, and Blackburn winning the league the following season is probably my earliest memory of the Premier League, even if I can't remember any specific games.

The first proper memory I have of a United game is the 1996 FA Cup final against Liverpool, even if I know I watched a lot of games before that.

RedChip

The first time I heard my dad swear was at a football match. So my early memories of football are of my dad getting really wound up.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Baggio 94 :(

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
France 98 final. After that, I remember nothing until the Euro 00 final. I was 7 and really wanted to watch it, but my parents wouldn't let me stay home alone when they visited some friends. Thankfully, at some point somebody had the glorious idea to turn on the TV. Just in time for Wiltord's goal.
From 01 onwards I followed football religiously.