Your expectations of this season?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I’ll probably change my expectation if we do some business before the transfer window closes, but at this moment in time my expectation is a top 4 finish.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
many of us older Reds have given up on Mourinho. Far too defensive a coach.

It really is sad to see how we play at times.
I'm not one of the oldies but I have been trying to appropriately express the disconnection that I have with the club at the moment, not just Mourinho because it was the case with Moyes and LVG too. The club has totally lost its magic, the sense that something special can happen, will happen, there is no enthusiasm.

As for expectations, I don't have any. I'm a simple passenger.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I'm not one of the oldies but I have been trying to appropriately express the disconnection that I have with the club at the moment, not just Mourinho because it was the case with Moyes and LVG too. The club has totally lost its magic, the sense that something special can happen, will happen, there is no enthusiasm.

Exactly. These players look like they don't care sometimes. There is desire (like the city game) but too many a times players deliver pedestrian level of performances. As if playing for Manchester United doesn't matter anymore!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Exactly. These players look like they don't care sometimes. There is desire (like the city game) but too many a times players deliver pedestrian level of performances. As if playing for Manchester United doesn't matter anymore!
It's the club, at some point we need to stop that BS about players. The personal turnover has been massive and it's too easy to blame everyone else than the club. The clubs isn't right, the leaders managers/board are the one setting the tone and from the outside it seems to be apathetic.

Infra-red

Yep. It's all gone a bit 'Arsenal' - sterile, business-like, no real excitement or ambition. Feels like we're just coasting along, waiting for the inevitable managerial change to kick off the next cycle of "three more transfer windows to get the team I want" from whoever the next sap is. And nobody cares.

Ventura

My expectation last season was top three and that worked out. This season ... meh. I guess we'll be battling for fourth and not necessarily succeeding. Everything just seems like a mess. The squad is incoherent, the mood seems tense. Playing style ... Meh.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I genuinely have no expectations for this season. I posted many times that the year Jose wins the league he has all his transfer business done early.

Jose's last stint at Chelsea - Fabregas, Costa, Matic were brought in early - What happened? They won the league.

His first year at United we got most of our players dont very early. Pogba, Zlatan, Bailly, Mkhitarian were all signed fairly early. What happened? we won the League cup and Europa League.

His third season at United, he feels he hasn't been able to bring in players early and of course i feel like we will have another nothing season.

I really hope not but i feel no excitement over the league or the CL.

rollingstoned1

Who are these people expecting us to win the title this season? With the addition of Fred we can win the title now? Did city sell half their squad?
the hope and optimism is that this season turns out like 2006 where we were being written off by everyone and Chelsea signed ballack and shevchenko. we finished the previous season then a lot better than we did last year though, played some fantastic stuff leading upto it and only signed Carrick when all wanted us to sign a proper Keane replacement and Riquelme. I don't feel that optimistic at the moment but more than wanting signing after signing i want Mou to not moan and get the best out of what and whom he has, which he wasn't last season IMO.

Silverman

Not optimistic at all. This is not a settled team with Mourinho in charge. His style of play stifles our best players.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
My friend works for mutv and she says that the atmos around OT is just one of doom and gloom. It’s all coming from the manager. He won’t do interviews and doesn’t speak to most people in the corridor and the people at the club dread his press interviews as he runs the club down and blames everyone and everything else except himself. My expectations for this season is top four. I expect Liverpool and City to battle it out for the title. Football couldn’t be worse at the moment for me with Uniteds two biggest rivals not only in the driving seat but playing the football that United need to. I mean, when you’ve players like Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez in your side, surely you should be expecting bright things?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Might win a cup.

Out of Europe in last 16

15ish points behind City in either 2nd or 3rd.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm so torn on this season as I can't decide if last season was actually us near our peak in terms of what José can do with this squad (and it hasn't changed drastically over the Summer window yet), or whether we actually can do far better than we did last time out. I think I'd lean more toward us doing better, because I think 81 Points, in the end, was below my expectation. I think we should have finished on 86+ last season and our performances/results against the newly promoted teams and eventually relegated teams was very poor (16 Points dropped I believe). Fixing that latter issue whilst maintaining similar against the rest of the crop is, in essence, all we need to do to win the Premier League next season (probably). Easier said than done, of course, but the platform is there.

The main question I have for everyone (and even myself actually) is:

If the only significant changes are a new CB (Alderweireld for example), Fred, and a full season of Alexis Sanchez now that he's had half a season to bed in, a Summer off and a pre-season with the squad, how many more points would you expect us to get?

For argument's sake, if Man City don't finish on 7+ points less than they did last season, I will be well and truly amazed for all eternity. That has to happen, surely?

El-Manos

Hard to be optimistic at the moment. All will depend on who we purchase in the next few days. I can't see a CB influencing our dreadful attack though, crazy we are potentially going into the new season without a new RW.

Fosu-Mens

The main question I have for everyone (and even myself actually) is:

If the only significant changes are a new CB (Alderweireld for example), Fred, and a full season of Alexis Sanchez now that he's had half a season to bed in, a Summer off and a pre-season with the squad, how many more points would you expect us to get?
With Alderweireld our defense will improve as he is calm, efficient and can passing accurately and will take the "leading role" between the two CBs when playing. None of our other CBs (except maybe Lindelof) are able to take this role, they are more in the "Vidic role". Alderweireld experience and passing will also improve our attack.
Fred might perform for us, or might not. We don't know. Based on the little we have seen of him he is better than some of the options we already have, and will improve our starting 11.
Sanchez looks like a different person from before the summer, and based on his preseason performances alone he will perform a lot better than he did this spring.

The biggest problem last year and most likely our main problem this year will be the attack. If our attack struggles to create chances and score goals on teams parking the buss, then we will be somewhere between 3rd and 6th. And we will drop some points against weaker teams. If our team "gel" and actually figure how to attack against some of the weaker teams then we may have a real shot at the title.

GM K

I actually think we are up for a pleasant surprise this season.

I like the fact that expectations are generally very low for the first time in a while especially under Jose. All the pressure to lift the title will be on City and Liverpool (again for the first time in a while). That will play well into our hands.

And unlike many others, I actually see the transfer situation a bit different. Yes, I wanted two new full backs but I think it will be a break out season for Dalot and Shaw could turn things around. I never really had much issues with Young before though.

But the real indicators for me are Sanchez, Pereira and Fred. I thought we lost out in the title race last season primarily because our midfield collapsed after Pogba got injured and subsequently lost form. When Pogba got injured, we had no Carrick and for a while Fellaini and Herrera were also out. That was when we dropped the most points and City took off. Our midfield is looking a lot better now in terms of quality and depth.

And back to Sanchez, in my head, I see him as a brand new signing. It's like we didn't buy him in January. We just bought him this Summer. A lot of people forgot how phenomenal Sanchez is just because he had it rough adapting to United after arriving in January. The fact is that prior to joining United, he had a rough last few months at Arsenal with all the issues surrounding his wanting to leave and so on. He had also not had a proper Summer break in about 7 seasons.
I think we are going to see the real Alexis this season and then we'll appreciate the wisdom in getting him in January.

Martial is the sore point for me this Summer. But if he goes and we manage to replace him well, we might not miss him much.

Craig Ward

I hope we challenge for the title

So my expectation is to win the league, as this is the bare minimum we should aim for every season.

In reality however I don't think we will.

I'd expect a tough battle for top 4, and some decent cup runs. Champions league always in with a chance but no near the favourites.

Could be glorious, could be a slog this season

Varun

Staff
Expectation:

An actual title challenge, good CL run, a domestic cup.

That's not what I think will happen mind.

Nikelesh Reddy

My Expectation was that we would mount a title challenge,but not so sure anymore....A top 3 finish and a Cup seem more realistic right now...

AgentP

Jose to deliver a masterclass and take us to our 21st(or is it 22nd) title.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Don't expect a title given our transfer dealings, still think we are lacking at the LB and RW positions. Top 4 finish should be mandatory along with hopefully a domestic cup.

I, for some reason, have a sneaky feeling Chelsea will win with United, City and Arsenal rounding the top 4. Will be a very close race though with Liverpool and Spurs just missing out on the top 4 as well.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
The transfer window for us, as it stands has been so underwhelming that it is very difficult to see us in a real title battle.

I think we probably only have a 60-70% chance of getting top 4. It looks very tight.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m genuinely optimistic. I really, really hate the way the British press speak of us, and they have engineered some sort of narrative that everyone has bought over the summer that things are going terribly. I mean, things may not to well, but a ball hasn’t been kicked yet. We have some areas of improvement in the team, but we also have some real talent and promise.

I don’t think the media have really factored in any impact of Fred or Dalot in the team, largely because they have no fecking clue about them. That said, on the assumption that they have very good seasons, which is very possible, then along with Sanchez - that is potentially 3 top quality first team additions that have improved us in defence, midfield and attack.

As individuals, the players we have are incredibly underrated, and I said a number of times last seasons that all the top teams in the PL don’t really have superior players to us IMO.

We can win this league. I’d like a new LB, but Ashley Young was certainly one of the best LBs in the league last season. We could use a top centre half, but other than Spurs, our set is comparable with any in this league. RW is poor, although again, with an impact from Dalot, that could be lessened.

I’m sick and tired of reading United obituaries in comparison to teams who have finished behind us, not as good as us, simply because they complete more passes.

The Irish Connection

If we sign the two players Jose wants, a RW, say Willian and the CB, Alderweireld, I think we'll push for the title, if not, 3rd or 4th.

tonnas

As of now: 2/3rd in the epl with a smaller gap from City. Another good run in the cups and maybe win the final this time, CL qtr finals.

AngliaRed

Manchester United should always be challenging for the title and a decent knock out stage showing in Europe. That’s the expectation for any United season.

I think we’ll challenge this season!

keener

I think we are no worse than last year. We are a bit deeper and I believe a few key players have probably matured/rested and will benefit from having played together. Sanchez, Lukaku, Mata come to mind. I can think we will do better vs the lower level teams and I think we will tally upper 80s in points. Still probably not enough to unseat City but we will be dangerous in all competitions.

Go back and look at our results from our first 10-12 games from last year. Several games we put 4 goals in the net. We turned more defensive late in games and the later in the season when injuries compromised our ability to possess and press.

AR87

Push City and Liverpool for the league in a 3 horse race, CL QF and a League Cup as I think Jose will push hard to guarantee some silverware.

Player expectations
  • Expect Pogba to put together a season which silences his doubters
  • Lukaku nets 20+ league goals and 30+ in all comps
  • Rashford improves his team play instead of continuing the selfish streak we saw afflict him last season
  • Martial stays and gives us an added jolt off the bench few other teams possess
  • Fred dovetails beautifully with Pogba and Matic to form the best midfield we've had since 07/08
  • Sanchez is "like a new signing" and finds form to justify United's move for him
  • Pereira starts pushing for a starting XI berth in the chances he's given
  • Alderweireld is wearing a United shirt and makes us a more cohesive unit in possession and defense
  • Bailly makes himself a nailed on starting XI player
  • Shaw and Young prove to be a year long weakness at LB
  • The glue holding Valencia together dries out and Dalot will be thrown into the fire
  • Lindelof progresses to be our 3rd CB
  • De Gea cures cancer
  • Fellaini
Manager expextations
  • Has a more settled starting XI than last season
  • Gets more out of his attacking talent than expected and certainly more than last year
  • The defense is improved but the flanks continue to be a weakness teams exploit -- I feel this is where the relative success or failure of our season will be determined
  • Continues to piss off media and large sections of the fanbase with his comments and approach
  • Forges a better relationship with Pogba than last season
  • Has us play in a 3-5-2 much more frequently
I'm not sure we'll win the league but I think our odds are much better than the common consensus. If we get Toby in I feel he brings balance and dimensions weve lacked in the back for a long time. I think Fred and potentially Pereira also bring qualities we've lacked in midfield. If Woodward signs a genuine RW who can provide width I fancy us to pip our rivals for the league.

Unitedssss

Realistically I reckon that we will finish 4th on the table as I reckon that Liverpool and Arsenal have invested way better than us. We will still be a challenging side and I hope that we prove me wrong and win the league.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Title challenge and a good run in the FA Cup and CL (semis for both). Can see Lukaku, Sanchez and Pogba having good seasons with Fred and Pereira giving us more oomph in midfield. Defense does leave a bit to be desired and Lindelof and Bailly have to really step up and be fit.

Scholes the maestro

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I actually think we are up for a pleasant surprise this season.

I like the fact that expectations are generally very low for the first time in a while especially under Jose. All the pressure to lift the title will be on City and Liverpool (again for the first time in a while). That will play well into our hands.

And unlike many others, I actually see the transfer situation a bit different. Yes, I wanted two new full backs but I think it will be a break out season for Dalot and Shaw could turn things around. I never really had much issues with Young before though.

But the real indicators for me are Sanchez, Pereira and Fred. I thought we lost out in the title race last season primarily because our midfield collapsed after Pogba got injured and subsequently lost form. When Pogba got injured, we had no Carrick and for a while Fellaini and Herrera were also out. That was when we dropped the most points and City took off. Our midfield is looking a lot better now in terms of quality and depth.

And back to Sanchez, in my head, I see him as a brand new signing. It's like we didn't buy him in January. We just bought him this Summer. A lot of people forgot how phenomenal Sanchez is just because he had it rough adapting to United after arriving in January. The fact is that prior to joining United, he had a rough last few months at Arsenal with all the issues surrounding his wanting to leave and so on. He had also not had a proper Summer break in about 7 seasons.
I think we are going to see the real Alexis this season and then we'll appreciate the wisdom in getting him in January.

Martial is the sore point for me this Summer. But if he goes and we manage to replace him well, we might not miss him much.
Exactly. Last season our shortcoming was mainly due to midfield as Pogba, Herrera and Fellaini were in and out of the team due to injuries. As well as Carrick missing almost Whole season. That resulted in Matic having to play a lot, entry of inexperienced Mctominay and Lingard to play deeper. So midfield would have been my first priority for improvement and I am more than happy with our choices now with Perreira entering the frame as well.

In terms of attack, there was a bit of inexperience but we bought Sanchez to resolve that and he will keep on improving. I would have liked a backup striker but looks like we will make do with Sanchez as backup and looking at his pre-seasson form, I am not that worried.

Agree with you regarding the full back position, Young and Valencia are still good full backs and Shaw is determined to show what he is got.
Regarding Martial, I dont think he will go anywhere. At the end of season, he will have made the right side of our attack his own (a man can dream).

In the midst of this doom and gloom, I am quite happy with the squad and expecting great things from this team.

Sterling Archer

Hard to be optimistic at the moment. All will depend on who we purchase in the next few days. I can't see a CB influencing our dreadful attack though, crazy we are potentially going into the new season without a new RW.
I'm trying hard to fight that myself . Its all because of missed expectations..and external influence trying to bring us down.

If we take stock without any signings:
- De Gea is staying..this should be the highlight of the summer for us, second only to something likelike ha resigned Ronaldo or Mbappe

- our core young and British talent plus Young just took England to the WC semis for the first time in how many years now...that bodes well for their roles in the season ahead

- Lindelof helped Sweden advance in another milestone WC. We've seen flashes in red but abundance of talent in the yellow. Again, hoping he can kick on this season

- Bailly is back from a long term injury

- Alexis has a full pre-season under his belt and has looked fired up. We might as well consider him having signed in the summer. Really exciting

- Pereira is determined to fight for his place and has been looking quite good in preseason. Again really exciting.

- Pogba just learned a valuable lesson in buckling down and playing more maturely. He won the damn World Cup. Hopefully he better understands the value of Jose's approach and we see a similar level of performance this season. He'll be the best CM in the league if he can play the same way.

That's a decent list to add to the team that last season, made a little history by beating every other team in the league. We were far off first place, but with our existing squad showed themselves capable of beating anyone when things cclick.Another year together and a few tweaks, Fred Dalot maybe one more, we might just have a great season.

Canagel

I'd like us to have settled XI this season and start the same team week in week out. No more chopping and changing. Both title winners in the last two seasons - Chelsea and Man City played the same teams when they went on their respective winning streaks. Everyone knows who their best teams were. Chelsea 2014/15 I believe their defence played every minute of every game. Liverpool have a settled front 3 and defence. It helps build cohesion and understanding and if we aren't going to buying more players we must at least decide on who is the best team and play that team week in week out to find more improvements. It's not possible to win league titles if you don't know who your best centre back pairing is or who your best attackers are. We used about 5 or 6 different centre back pairings last season. It's not right imo.
Jose must decide who is the first choice and stick with it. Personally I'd choose Bailly and whoever the new centre back is whether it's Alderweireld or not I'm not sure. The same problem in attack. One player - usually Martial - has one poor game and he's on the bench. Someone else comes in and plays until the moment they have a bad game and then it gets changed. Rotation and competition for places is good but we make it up as we go along. We have to know what our best team is quickly and then build on that.

reddaz71

Sign Alderweireld,a RW and a back up striker then definitely a title challenge,if we only bring in just the one signing out of those 3 which we really need then I can see us fighting it out for 3rd or 4th.