Your Manchester United Formation

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Januzaj - Mata - Di Maria
Falcao

If we are completely honest, this front 4 would work best. It's devastating.
I don't think it is really, with some proper service Mata slipping passes into two of Falcao/Rooney/Van Persie with the likes of Di Maria and Herrera roaming from behind is just fantastic.

Jacob

This setup against teams outside top 5

This setup against teams in top 5:

This setup if you're not bold enough to bench one of our stars:

revel911

That looks brilliant but with ADM moving to the wings if necessary to provide width. At least this should be the team when we do NOT play a top 4 team
That was my point with Di Maria, to add the width to the 4-3-3 that people felt Rooney would not.

How would you handle a Top 4 team? For me it is, Carrick and Blind behind Herrera ..... take of Januzaj and put Di Maria on the RW.

DeMono

A diamond makes the most sense right now. It's a better fit than the 3-5-2 which our defence is struggling to get to grips with but keeps some of the same benefits.

Liverpool hae been very successful with this formation last eason and this season. Hererra and Di Maria have the legs to run and add quality. Blind will sit deeper and supply the passes. Great.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Just tried to fit all three in on FIFA at least.

DDG​
Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw
Herrera - Carrick - Di Maria
Rooney​
Falcao - RVP
Doesn't work, at all...

Shimo

---------------DDG
-------Smalling - Rojo-------
Rafael---------------------Shaw
-------------Blind---------------
------Herrera------Di Maria----
Januzaj-------------------Rooney
-------------Falcao--------------

It's full of players that can find a pass, run at players and score goals. And in the middle / defense we've got some ability to press / be solid at the back. Though I see LVG looking for a way to get at at least one of Mata / RVP on the pitch if not both by sacrificing the fullbacks and replacing with a CB and replacing Januzaj.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We have 6 blue chip players but hard to fit them all in.

DDG
Rafael Smalling Rojo Shaw

Blind
Herrera Di Maria

Rooney

RVP Falcao

Mata
AJ
Carrick
Jones
Fellaini
Valencia

Dreaded

Does any feel that Rafael is too weak defensively on the right with just Blind, Herrera and Di Maria ahead of him?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
That was my point with Di Maria, to add the width to the 4-3-3 that people felt Rooney would not.

How would you handle a Top 4 team? For me it is, Carrick and Blind behind Herrera ..... take of Januzaj and put Di Maria on the RW.
I agree, that's how I would play against top 4. We'd have the defensive cover with Carrick and Blind (also to control the midfield) and pacey players to counter attack. I personally wouldnt mind seeing Januzaj and ADM on the wings with one striker up top

lalloyd

---------De Gea-------
Rafael--Jones--Rojo--Shaw
------Herrera---Carrick----
------------Mata-----------
Januzaj----Falcao-----Di Maria

If I ever see Wayne Rooney play in the hole again it will be too soon.

Bwuk

Smalling, Evans, Jones, Rojo, Blackett.

Does anyone else think we are perhaps a bit short on numbers to keep 3 at the back?

Dave
Rafael Jones Rojo Evans
Carrick/Blind
Herrera ADM
Mata
RvP Falcao​

Dracula

caf plane air-master
More i think about the falcao deal the more i think it will be rvp that makes way. The falcao deal was not a last minute deal by any stretch of the imagination. Most clubs knew of monaco's troubles and that they would need to offload. It appears we probably learnt of his availability and willingness to join during the di maria negotiations, thats not last minute and coincides with rumours about rvp needing op.

I hope beyond hope we change to a 433/442 diamond. The only issue with this is the fact that valencia and young were not on the 'for sale list'. If we change to 433/442 diamond i cant see how either of these two will get a single game this season as we wont have wingers and if we move to 4 at the back we wont have need for their style of wingback.

Our best team:

--------------ddg--------------
Raf----jones----rojo------shaw
------------blind---------------
------herera-----ADM---------
------------mata--------------
-----roo-----------falcao-------

What i think will be our team:

--------------ddg--------------
----evans----jones----rojo-----
Val------------------------shaw
--------------blind-------------
---------mata-----ADM--------
-------roo---------falcao-------

Mata or herera will probably depend on form. This is how we changed for bunley, it was a noticeable change from previous games as mata was no longer a 'number 10' but much deeper. Fletcher was a clear cdm on his own. The second half saw valencia push much higher and ADM push wider and rooney drop little deeper. This may have been as a result of mata injury.

The fact this shape was adopted straight after the ADM deal would suggest this is what lvg still sees as the best option. The further signings of blind (replacing fletch) fits this system perfectly. Noticeably it can easily change to a 433 if needed with one sub

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
................................De Gea..................................

..............Evans..........Carrick.............Rojo.............

Blind................Hererra......Di Maria.................Shaw

................................Rooney..................................

.......................RVP...............Falcao........................

If everyone was fit.....

RedOldBoy

-----------------------------------de Gea

--------Rafael----------Jones-------------Rojo-------------Shaw

---------------------------------Blind

---------------Herrera------------------------------Carrick

-------di Maria----------------Falcao--------------Januzaj

JSMHE

I think with our current players. Our best formation is 4231
With 4 in the back, I still can't pick the best ones. Evans, Smalling and Jones are similar in overall quality. The three of them are inconsistent. I don't know much about Rojo. So at the moment it's hard for me to pick the best two.

With 352

I drop Shaw for Blind because I think Blind is proven as a left wing back during world cup, and he indeed was great in that position.
I think Mata will play in the hole. But I like Januzaj.
Edit: Or may be move Di Maria in the hole for more pace in attack. And add Carrick to help Herrera since he is a better defending than Di Maria.

Last edited:

C'est Moi Cantona

I know LVG can be looked on as been stubborn, but surely he wouldn't persist with 3-5-2 just to prove a point, we need results and this system just exposes our main weakness in the team and that is the defence, we have seven forward thinking talents in Falcao, RVP, Rooney, Di Maria, Janujaz, Mata, and Herrera, it is just silly not to make the most of this, and the only way to do this is 4 at the back.

I know this will have been posted before but the team simply has to be something like:

-----------------ddg----------------
Rafael-----Jones----Evans----Shaw
----------Herrera-------Blind-------
-------------------Mata--------------
Janujaz--------Falcao------Di Maria

With Rooney covering Mata, and RvP covering Falcao, this puts all the players in their best positions, and gives us great options from the bench.

Trying to fit square pegs in round holes won't work, so at least 2 big players will have to be left out and deal with it by performing when they come on, and not sulking, at 3-5-2 it would have to be 3 of them left out.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Time for this thread again?

I honestly think a team like the one below (supposing we were to sign all these new players) has no excuse for not challenging for the league. Agree? Harsh not to fit Mata in, maybe on the right? What do you think?

Oneunited26

I honestly think a team like the one below (supposing we were to sign all these new players) has no excuse for not challenging for the league. Agree? Harsh not to fit Mata in, maybe on the right? What do you think?

Harsh on mata? no, he drifts in and out of games and we can do far better, someone like herrera could easily do his role and he scores and assists. That team on a Muppet level could wipe the floor with many teams, rafeal and rojo do not see starting over valencia and smalling. If Schneiderlin does settle into anchor man role, with sebastian and herrera in the heart of the teams midfield, they also have the creativity of depay and di maria to give us what we need to open teams up. No offense to fellaini, mata and young, they do not offer us that fear week in week out. Now sebastian herrera depay and di maria offer us that world class impact the others do not. Sebastian is still a risk with age, and potential injury's

Rowem

gently, down the stream
FORMATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm slightly offended that my legendary 'Pretty Formations Thread' thread wasn't bumped instead. It was basically this thread but 10x better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Scheiderlin and Schweinsteiger should be swapped.

Gopher Brown

I doubt we'll sign both Schw and Schn as they are very similar. I expect the centre-backs to be Smalling + 1 as he's done very well in the second half of last season.

Truedevil

Full muppet:
Valdes
Valencia - Smalling - Ramos - Shaw
Schneiderlin
Herrera - Mata
Di Maria - - - - - - - - - - - Depay
Rooney

Backup:
Leno
Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Blind
Schweinsteiger
Pereira - Fellaini
Januzaj - - - - - - - -Young
Van Persie​

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I doubt we'll sign both Schw and Schn as they are very similar. I expect the centre-backs to be Smalling + 1 as he's done very well in the second half of last season.
Going purely off rumours + LVG's left footed CB fetish.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

That is the core of the team I would love to see here next season.

Honestly.. I have mixed thoughts on Schweini..part of me thinks his legs have gone and that we need to move away from having a pedestrian midfield. Right back.. there seems to be very few good established right backs who are available, I saw some clips of Fabinho and I am not convinced. I would love to see Rafael back but that is not going to happen.

RW I would love to see Nani there but again - not going to happen, in terms of the market.. I am not aware of anyone who is available and would be top class.. maybe Pedro from Barca?

I'd love to see Di Maria sold to PSG in a swap deal for Pastore, who for me is more of a LVG style player and a huge upcoming talent. He's the perfect Fellaini upgrade.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No Idea
Valencia - Smalling - Ramos - Shaw
Carrick--Schneiderlin
Herrera
Di Maria - - - - - - - - - - - Depay
Rooney​
As long as it's Herrera and not Mata, it's 3 man midfield.

Rezyuz

If we buy a class striker, then obviously he would not play as a false 9 (highly doubt Rooney would play as a false 9 under LVG anyways as he doesn't use the diamond 433 like Cruyff.

But on the other hand, if we buy a striker i also see no place for Rooney in our XI if we actually sign Schweinsteiger & Schneiderlin.

Rezyuz

I absolutely hate when teams play with just 1 striker. Please can we have 2 up top this season
Im like the total opposite. playing with 2 strikers is in most cases a complete nightmare for the midfield and needs to be supported by bad football in order to make it work. You take to much risks against any 3 man midfield team and with our already shaky defense this is something we must avoid at all cost.

2 strikers:

- weak midfield OR no width
- huge gaps between the lines forcing longballs
- wingers will be defensively placed, which doesn't suit any top winger in the world, but rather suits Valencia types. (my mistake, Bale would do fine here).

The Law of Denis

---------------------- De Gea
-----Ramos--------Smalling--------Otamendi--------Shaw
--------------Schweinstiger-----Schneiderlin---------------
------------------------Herrera-------------------------------
----Mata------------------------------------------Depay/Di Maria
-------------------------Rooney

:drool:

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
4-3-3

Rooney or a new Striker up front, Depay/Di Maria/Januzaj/Mata in the 2 spots either side.

Schneiderlin/Herrera/Blind/Di Maria/Felbows/New CM in the centre 3

Shaw/Blind at left back. Jones/Smalling/New CB/New CB at Centre back. New Right back.