Jones...Vidic.....Smalling.....Rafael
................Carrick............
Kagawa..Giggs...Rooney...Welbeck
..................RVP

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
You can't shave loads more neck and back hair onto people.
i knew the government were spying on my experiments. it doesn't work with chickens, no, but i'm hoping to start human trials before the first leg.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We will need pace. That back line isn't comfortable on the back foot, and having Valencia and Welbeck on the wings will keep them honest at least.

If RVP is still injured, let's play Rooney up top, with Shinji behind him. If RVP is healthy, place him up top, with Rooney behind him. Behind him, a midfield of Jones and Carrick to anchor the midfield. Evans, Smalling, Neutered Rafa and Buttman at the back.

Tuck in the fullbacks to limit the space Robben and Ribery have. Pray Muller slaps Guardiola before the match and is benched. Sub on Januzaj, Kagawa and Fellaini 60 minutes in.
They are strong at full-back though. It is the heart of their defence that can be troubled. I can see Welbeck getting one of them sent off as they tend to play quite high.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
A squadron of Spitfires.
:lol:

Maybe something like:

De Gea
Rafael===Smalling===Vidic===Evans
Jones
Fletcher===Carrick
Rooney===RVP===Welbeck
Keeps Rafael where he should be, Jones can man-mark someone or back-up whichever defender Bayern are targeting, the central-midfield is about the best we can put out in terms of mobility, Rooney and Welbeck to be all over the pitch covering every blade, and RVP to hopefully keep their defenders from pushing-up.

Hopefully Kagawa, Nani and Hernandez will get some game time before this so we have something in reserve. Maybe RVP could be dropped from that team to move Rooney central and bring in Valencia right? He could add pace to the team if nothing else :lol:

bishblaize

There's also no point trying to design a formation to react against them, as Pep is happy to switch between 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 at will.
We also have to accept that Bayern will try and dominate midfield. Indeed thats the least predictable aspect to their game.

Rather than respond by trying to put in tacklers (which we dont have anyway) I'd definitely go with a ball player in the middle alongside Carrick. So perhaps a midfield 3 of Carrick/Giggs/Cleverly. Clev won't attack, but we don't need him to. We need him to be able to keep the ball with short sideways passes. His forte. Giggs can play the excellent long balls we saw this week into the channels, or over the top for RvP.

I'd obv have RvP up front. He may not that pacy, but we'll get few chances over two legs and he's the player most likely to take them.

Out left I'd actually be tempted to play Wellbeck, for his pace and workrate. However I'd say the chances of Moyes dropping Rooney for this are nil, so Rooney could go there.

Out right, see who out of Nani and Valencia is fit and in form. Whoever is there will have to be very hardworking and disciplined, but will also have to join in with RvP in attack. I'd slightly err towards Nani.

That way we could play 4-3-3 in attack, and 4-5-1 in defense.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fletcher has no business being on the pitch. Those still pushing this fairy tale need to stop, he's not the same player I think. He moves like he's treading water.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
-----------DDG------------

---------BUS-BUS--BUS---------

-Rafa---Jones---Smalling--Buttner

-Valencia--Giggs--Carrick---Welbeck

---------------Rooney

----------------RVP

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
--------------DDG------------------
-Rafael-Ferdinand-Smalling-Evans-
---------Jones---Giggs--------------
--Rooney---Fellaini-----Welbeck----
------------- RvP--------------------

Rooney to sit on Ribery and link up with Rafael on the counter. Welbeck to track Robben, and provide pace on the counter. Fellaini to battle it out with Schweini/Dante. Jones on Kroos. Giggs with his defense splitting passes to Rooney/Welbeck on the counter. RvP with 100% finishing up top.

Their weakest area is central defence, we need to test them more than once.

We'll feck them so hard they won't even see it coming.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
---------------DDG
Smalling---Evans----Vidic---Rafael

--------Carrick-----Fellaini/Jones
---------------Giggs
Rooney--------------------Welbeck
----------------RvP

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They are strong at full-back though. It is the heart of their defence that can be troubled. I can see Welbeck getting one of them sent off as they tend to play quite high.
I agree. Alaba was a bit rash against Arsenal I felt, but Boateng and Dante are walking yellow cards, if Welbeck or Rooney gets a chance to run at them.

gaz1185

De Gea
Rafael===Smalling===Vidic===Buttner
Jones
Fellaini===Carrick
Valencia================Rooney
RVP
Do you remember on FM where you could drag lines for players runs, well imagine Jones having one of them... pointing backwards!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
--------------De Gea--------------
Rafael---Smalling---Vidic---Buttner
------Carrick--Giggs--Jones------
Rooney--------RVP--------Welbeck

Things we need;
Jones' legs in midfield
Giggs' ability to play the ball forward - obviously we've been severely missing this
Welbeck's pace
Rooney/RVP's quality in the final 3rd

You could actually argue looking at that side Carrick in his current form isn't really offering anything but we can hardly drop him when the alternatives are Cleverley and Fellaini

NessunDorma

Am I right in thinking that if we forfeit the match, it'll be awarded as a 3-0 victory to Bayern? I guess that's one way of keeping the score at a vaguely respectable level . . .

Nah, but feck it. We have absolutely nothing to lose, because no-one is giving us a chance here.

Maybe Bayern will underestimate us. Maybe we'll remember what we are - Champions of England - and perform like it. Maybe we'll be Wigan to Bayern's City. Maybe i'm dreaming, and they'll beat us fairly comfortably.

Can't wait to find out though.

Kaos

-------------------DDG--------------
--Rafael--Smalling--Jones------Evans
--Valencia--Fletcher--Carrick----Welbeck
---------------Fellaini-------------------
---------------Rooney--------------------

I honestly think our best chance is to 'Everton' them by playing compact, defensively, and just hoofing it up to Fellaini. At least Moyes can play with what he knows best.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
To pit something against the United-lineups.
I'd love us to go back to our CL-formation from around last year:

---------------Neuer------------
Lahm---Boateng----Dante----Alaba
---------Martinez------------
-----------------Thiago-----------
Robben---------Müller-----------Ribery
-----------Mandzukic/Götze-----------

We played our best football in recent memory with Müller behind the striker and Robben/Ribery on the wings. Brings out or offensive strengths the best, I've always felt. Thiago as a more direct option compared to Kroos and Martinez to cancel out Rooney and his counter initiations.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De gea
Rafael Vidic Evans evra
Jones giggs Carrick
Valencia rvp Rooney
We have to go defensive really, only way. Fellaini too slow for this. We're fecked without evra as well. Maybe Evans left back and smalling the middle? Or Rafael left back and smalling right. Either way, I just hope it's not an embarrassment.

On further thought, we should do everything we can to get nani on form and fit for this. Him on the right instead of Valencia would improve us immensely.

Last edited:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
To pit something against the United-lineups.
I'd love us to go back to our CL-formation from around last year:

---------------Neuer------------
Lahm---Boateng----Dante----Alaba
---------Martinez------------
-----------------Thiago-----------
Robben---------Müller-----------Ribery
-----------Mandzukic/Götze-----------

We played our best football in recent memory with Müller behind the striker and Robben/Ribery on the wings. Brings out or offensive strengths the best, I've always felt. Thiago as a more direct option compared to Kroos and Martinez to cancel out Rooney and his counter initiations.
Those four will be the only ones we have to worry about. I'm not saying its an easy task, but that lineup doesn't really look dangerous through the middle. Jones/Fellaini can easily cancel out Thiago/Muller on their day.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
---------------Schmeichel--------------
--Neville--Johnsen--Stam------Irwin
--Giggs--Beckham--Butt----Blomqvist
---------Yorke------Cole-------------------

I'd probably get Solskjaer and Sheringham on at some stage in the second half of each leg. Probably for Cole and Jesper.

Eugenius

I hope to God we don't play Vidic, he's simply too immobile (which is affecting his judgement, he's too rash now).

We need Jones' mobility in midfield and 100% need Welbeck. He's the only genuine outlet player we have in the team.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
---------------Schmeichel--------------
--Neville--Johnsen--Stam------Irwin
--Giggs--Beckham--Butt----Blomqvist
---------Yorke------Cole-------------------

I'd probably get Solskjaer and Sheringham on at some stage in the second half of each leg. Probably for Cole and Jesper.
That'll never work - Kahn will be impossible to get past.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
-------------------De Gea
Rafael----Smalling------Evans------ Valencia
-------------------Jones
Giggs--------Rooney-------Fellaini-----Welbeck
-------------------RVP

That would be my line up, Valencia would be a decent shout at left back I reckon as Robben will constantly try and cut inside and it'd be better to have a right footer there. Plus he can match him for pace. Welbeck is needed for quick countering and getting up to provide support for RVP. Giggs would be useful as his through balls may be vital.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
De Gea
Rafael - Jones - Smalling - Evans
Carrick - Fellaini
Rooney - Kagawa - Welbeck
RvP

Midfield three, Welbeck and Rooney wide (hard working but still good link-up)... no way will DM play Adnan in these games. Our full-backs will be up against the likes of Alaba, Ribery, Robben, Müller and Götze, so lots of tracking back is required.
Agree with this.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
--------------------------De Gea-------------------
---------------------------Jones--------------------
--------Vidic---Evans---Ferdinand--Smalling-----
Rafael------------------------------------------Buttner

----------------------Carrick------------------------

----------------------Rooney-------------------------

-----------------------RVP----------------------------

:)

Gerald G

According to reports, Smalling is out for a month.

de Gea
Jones--Evans--Vidic--Rafael
Carrick--Cleverley--Giggs
Rooney--van Persie--Welbeck

or

Carrick--Giggs--Rooney
Nani/Valencia--van Persie--Welbeck

Cal?

CR7 fan
De Gea
Rafael, Rio, Evans, Giggs
Fellaini, Carrick, Jones
Rooney

Chicharito, Van Perie

Annahnomoss

This match up.... Rafael is too rash to handle Ribery all game with the support Ribery has these days. Robben will completely feck Evra up, but I think they will play Muller and that would be our only chance.

Muller doesn't have that clear world-class 1 vs 1 ability which is Evra's biggest nightmare.

4-6-0
Rafael---Smalling---Evans----Evra
---------Fletcher------Jones--------
--van Persie--Kagawa---Rooney
------------------Nani----------------

van Persie and Rooney are too poor at counter-attacks to challenge the worlds best team with them. We need Nani to go for the counter-attacks and as that will mean he will go wide in Alaba's/Lahm's space - Rooney/RVP will make runs towards the box and get to their real positions.

All 11 players has to defend, or we are out.

Last edited:

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
This match up.... Rafael is too rash to handle Ribery all game with the support Ribery has these days. Robben will completely feck Evra up, but I think they will play Muller and that would be our only chance.

Muller doesn't have that clear world-class 1 vs 1 ability which is Evra's biggest nightmare.

4-6-0
Rafael---Smalling---Evans----Evra
---------Fletcher------Jones--------
----Rooney----Kagawa---van Persie
------------------Nani----------------

van Persie and Rooney are too poor at counter-attacks to challenge the worlds best team with them. We need Nani to go for the counter-attacks and as that will mean he will go wide in Alaba's/Lahm's space - Rooney/RVP will make runs towards the box and get to their real positions.

All 11 players has to defend, or we are out.
Rooney poor at counter attacks. Ok.

Id have

---------------De Gea-----------
Rafael-Evans---Smalling--Buttner
Valencia--Carrick--Jones--Welbeck
-------Rooney----Van Persie-----

Lu Tze

I'm coming into this with a few assumptions;

We'll play Buttner, because while Evans/Rafael are better defenders, without Rafa we'll be fecked on the right flank and Evans would get turned inside out by Robben for pace.
If we try to attack them as a strategy we will lose every single time
If we play a midfield two we will lose every single time
If we play Giggs/Kagawa/Januzaj they'll be too much of a weakness defensively
Our primary attacking threat is Welbeck's pace. He is our most important player in this game. He has to track Ribery diligently, and sprint his heart out in attack.
We should try to get both Rooney/RVP on the field at the same time.

Strategy:

We have to protect Buttner from Robben. He will be our main weakness. Therefore, we should play Jones and Smalling as his covering players- two of our most adept 1v1 defenders, and two of our fastest. This is our best chance of stopping Robben.

We have to aim to play like Chelsea have done in the past, a flat 3 in midfield. Compact the field. Keep them playing in from of us. With Fellaini/Carrick/Jones in midfield, we have three defensively adept players. These 3 should barely pass the half way line, for the entirely of the game.

At certain points in the game, Alaba will get pushed too high up, and that's where Welbeck comes into play. He has the potential to take advantage of their centre backs, as he is faster than the lot of them. Whenever this situation occurs, Welbeck has do to a 11 second 100m sprint down that left flank. RVP has to bust a gut to get into the box, and Rooney or Carrick has to play a searching diagonal into Welbeck's path for him to either score or cut it back to Van Persie. That is how we win and keep a compact shape. If we get loose, or ambitious, we will lose.

-------------De Gea-----------------
Rafael--Evans-Smalling-Buttner
-----Fellaini-Carrick-Jones
---------------------------Rooney
Welbeck--------------------------
-----------Van Persie-----------

Park the fecking tank and hit them on the counter, it's the only way we win.

Last edited: