Your team/tactics vs Bayern

Lu Tze

It's our only chance of progression. There's no way we'll beat them over 2 legs playing it safe.
Bollocks, look at Chelsea vs Barcelona in 2012. The definition of playing it safe and parking the bus. They made it through. Look at Inter under Mourinho...look at us vs Barcelona in 2008! You can play it safe and progress.

Goooose

Bollocks, look at Chelsea vs Barcelona in 2012. The definition of playing it safe and parking the bus. They made it through. Look at Inter under Mourinho...look at us vs Barcelona in 2008! You can play it safe and progress.
All good sides, ours especially. That was the best United team in a decade, now we have Tom Cleverley.

Annahnomoss

Rooney poor at counter attacks. Ok.

Id have

---------------De Gea-----------
Rafael-Evans---Smalling--Buttner
Valencia--Carrick--Jones--Welbeck
-------Rooney----Van Persie-----
As the leading man he is horribly poor at counter-attacks as his pace and dribbling means the defenders can force him out wide until he finds a passing option.

In the second wave as he played in 06-09 he is absolutely world-class. Which is why I'd have him out wide so he counters in the second wave.

Nani is faster and a much better dribbler, so Nani can create something even if he is 1 vs 3 and Rooney/RVP are too far behind to participate in this attack.

Something Rooney/RVP can't do. I would switch them around though from my line-up.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we both play to our best? They'll kill us. If we play really well and they underperform? They're still favourites by a good bit. We're light years behind this Bayern team. They're going to dominate possesion, dominate chances and dominate the game.

Our only real option here is to park the bus and hope we can catch them on the counter. This really isn't going to be pretty.

It'll basically be 4-6-0. De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Vidic, Evans, Jones, Carrick, Rooney, Valencia, Welbeck, RvP. Then hope for the best.

The only possible surprises will be if Moyes uses Fellaini or Fletcher, though I doubt he will. Although, might this be a game where Fellaini gets used further forward? I don't like it but if we're going route 1...

SER19

........................De Gea.................

Rafael........Smalling........Evans......Buttner.....

.............................. Jones....................
........................Carrick.....Giggs.............................
........Welbeck................................Rooney.........
..........................van Perise....................

Essentially if we dont get enough numbers in midfield or on the ball we will not see it for the game. Rooney dropping right into midfield when not in possession with welbeck offering some width wherever he likes really. we will need to make the most of every chance to attack them so welbeck and rooney need to stretch bayerns defence as much as possible, and theres no point in them doing that unless van persie is there to capitalise. we need to win at old trafford. lets just focus on doing that then worry about the 2nd leg.

for the love of god let us just see us try play our own game at least. shudder at memories of 09 and 2011.

Hannibal

Our biggest objective is to have 11 men on the pitch in both legs. Bayern hug possession too much and they do pretty little with it until their divers scheme out a way to have a player or 2 sent off.

Rafael, Vidic, Jones & our forwards with combustible characters should be warned severely to keep it in moderation. We have a chance albeit small if the tactics & selection are spot on in both legs.

I see us winning 2-1 at OT, 1-1 at Allianz Arena. Rafael to score the decisive goal in the 87th minute in Munich.

TheGame

I cannot believe people are advocating playing Carrick and Fellani in midfield, did anyone not watch the Liverpool game, even Allen and Henderson can out play them, can you imagine what the Bayern midfield would do:eek:. I would personally like to see:

---------DDG---------
Jones--Vidic--Evans--Rafael
---------Carrick--------
----Fletcher----Kagawa-----
Rooney------------------Welbeck
------------RVP------------

I think Moyes will probably play Giggs instead of Kagawa. Buttner is too unreliable to be playing I'm afraid, way too risky. Its a fine line between Fletcher and Cleverley. Fellani would struggle because we will be chasing possession.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Our biggest objective is to have 11 men on the pitch in both legs. Bayern hug possession too much and they do pretty little with it until their divers scheme out a way to have a player or 2 sent off.

Rafael, Vidic, Jones & our forwards with combustible characters should be warned severely to keep it in moderation. We have a chance albeit small if the tactics & selection are spot on in both legs.

I see us winning 2-1 at OT, 1-1 at Allianz Arena. Rafael to score the decisive goal in the 87th minute in Munich.
I'm just going to assume that you haven't watched Bayern at all.

Crashoutcassius

Honestly best strategy is probably to play Fellaini up front. I'd bet a large amount of money that's what Mourinho would do. When his inter team beat Barca it was all down to Diego Milito and how well he holds the ball up for the counter.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just try and fluke wins like Chelsea did, and hopefully get lucky with decisions as well. A few sending offs should level the playing field.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hernandez could have an important role to play in this tie too.

Hannibal

I'm just going to assume that you haven't watched Bayern at all.
They are overrated!
How were they doing before Szczesny was sent off? How well did they play in the return leg?

A lot of people underestimate the potential in our squad if everything falls into place. That we are currently punching below our capabilities doesn't mean we are Stoke, Hull or Newcastle.

If everything falls into place, we have Rooney, RVP, Nani, Kagawa, Welbeck that are as equally dangerous as their Bayern counterparts.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A few things that I think are absolutely vital to have:
  • We need players capable of running with the ball, taking people on (Nani would be perfect, or welbeck on the other side). Look at arsenal away to bayern. Who was their best player? Chamberlain, because he could run with the ball, take players on and relieve pressure. Sure Valencia is good defensively, but that doesn't help if he'll lose the ball going forward right away.
  • We can't have a bunch of slow midfielders. Fellaini and Carrick in he middle is so static that bayern will pass around us at will. We need runners int here willing to put in the work and then to have the quality to also pass it to a player, as well as being able to run with the ball.
  • Definitely need a 3 man midfield as well. Ties in with the last point, but ideally, a trio of jones, Carrick and giggs would be best. Fellaini isn't suited to this game at all.
  • Back 4 will be a problem no matter what. Buttner shouldn't play under any circumstances, he's shite. Jones should go in midfield for this so our center backs won't be too good probably. 1 of rio/Vidic next to smalling with Evans left back, or Evans middle, Rafael left and smalling right. Either way, we're fecked there.
  • Tricky situation as always with Rooney and van Persie. Don't think we can afford to play them both unless one of them on the wing, but then I'd rather we have pace and dribbling skill out wide. Might be sorted for us though if rvp is still injured.
A quality lineup that would actually stand a chance with loads of luck IMO:

De Gea
Rafael Ferdinand Smalling Evans
Carrick Jones
Giggs
Nani Rooney Welbeck​

Last edited:

Mersault

---------------Neuer
Lahm---Martínez-Dante---Alaba
---Schweinie----Thiago/Kroos
Robben--Götze/Müller--Ribéry
-----------Mandzukic

That's trickery on the wings and a fantastic mobile midfield. Mandzukic doesn't worry me that much, but he's a physical beast.

------------De Gea
Rafa---Smalling-Vida---Evans
------Fellaini/Jones--------------
------------------Carrick-----
Valencia----Januzaj/Kagawa
--------------------------Rooney

-----------Van Persie

Still, I'd like to fit Welbeck in there and I wouldn't play Giggs because I worry the game will pass him by. If we play Rooney slightly deeper and centrally Welbeck could play on the left, but wouldn't this be a tasty game for Januzaj to re-establish what he showed in the early part of the season? He goes to ground way too easily, but that might actually work to our advantage in Europe and this team has plenty of height, Tony and Rafa could stay back for set pieces with Fellaini, Evans, Vida and Smalling all in the box. One thing's for certain, if we beat them it won't be pretty.

It'll certainly take a monster performance from 7 or 8 players and we cannot afford anyone having a shit day.

Havak

Pokemon master
Expect Moyes to play:

de Gea
Jones Smalling Vidic Rafael
Carrick Fellaini Giggs
Valencia Rooney Welbeck​

I'd probably do something similar, in the away leg (with Evra back in)... Could also play Evans at Left Back provided he gets some game-time soon. I just wish we had the away leg first.

We have to play three in midfield both games for the majority of the match, so for me, it's just which three forward players play. Valencia will likely get the nod, but I'd like to see Moyes go for it at home a bit and use someone who is more likely to score/create a goal. Rooney and Welbeck for sure though.. Could probably play Fletcher in the away leg unless we don't win the first leg and have to score in Germany.

Can't say I fancy our chances (who would?) but I'll keep saying it, this is our only chance at being in this competition again for at least a year, so we need to enjoy it and play all our cards. It isn't impossible.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
They are overrated!
How were they doing before Szczesny was sent off? How well did they play in the return leg?

A lot of people underestimate the potential in our squad if everything falls into place. That we are currently punching below our capabilities doesn't mean we are Stoke, Hull or Newcastle.

If everything falls into place, we have Rooney, RVP, Nani, Kagawa, Welbeck that are as equally dangerous as their Bayern counterparts.
They'd just started to take control of the game and if the keeper didn't foul Robben, they'd have been 1-0 up. They never tried to win the second game because they didn't have to. Look what they did to Barcelona and Juve last season. They can step it up if they really have to. They also do not hog possession without doing anything. They've scored a massive amount of goals this season. They have substance to go along with the possession.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
----------De Gea------------
Rafael-Smalling-Jones-Evans
------Carrick--Fellaini---------
Welbeck---Rooney-----Giggs
-------------Van Persie-------

Something like this. Giggs was excellent at the Bernabeu last season, calm head and all that. Fellaini to help combat Bayerns physical presence, Welbeck for his tracking back, work rate and pace. Rooney dropping into midfield, Evans over Buttner all day long. Really not sure about the centre backs if i'm honest, i'd be tempted to give Rio a chance with his experience but him against their pace and movement worries me.

Mersault

As long as Welbeck starts I'll be happy.

Probably.

A lot of people are putting Evans at left back, is he fast enough to be able to deal with Robben?
Well, he's played left-back at international level so he's relatively used to it. Also, he has better positional awareness than Buttner (who is probably on par if not more attacking than Evra). Fast, no.

One good thing with playing Rafael there is the fact he's right footed, so he'd be more suited to a left footed player on the right, who'll continually look to cut inside. If Rafa plays on the left, I'd be tempted to play Jones on the right.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
-------------De gea-----------
--------smalling vidic evans
Rafael
---------Carrick-jones--------
Rooney-----------------welbeck
-------------giggs-------------
-------------van persie-----------

stu_1992

We may as well attack them, what have we to lose really? If we sit back they will break us down and I'd rather go down fighting than not. I think this game will need 3 in midfield though, they'd surely walk through our 2-man midfield.

Last edited:

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
----------De Gea------------
Jones--Smalling--Evans--Rafael
------Carrick---Fletcher--------
Valencia----Fellaini-----Rooney
----------Van Persie-------

All men behind the ball, frustrate the hell out of Bayern. Do what Chelsea did to Barca. Let the moral beautiful football brigade cry. It will be beautiful.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well, he's played left-back at international level so he's relatively used to it. Also, he has better positional awareness than Buttner (who is probably on par if not more attacking than Evra). Fast, no.

One good thing with playing Rafael there is the fact he's right footed, so he'd be more suited to a left footed player on the right, who'll continually look to cut inside. If Rafa plays on the left, I'd be tempted to play Jones on the right.
I'm not so sure about this, although I've heard it a few times. Despite the fact that I never watch Northern Ireland play, I would hazard a guess that they do not have any centre-halves who can keep Jonny fecking Evans out of the middle. I would guess he's played at left-back less than 5 times in his senior career.

Mersault

We may as well attack them, what have we to lose really? If we sit back they will break us down and I'd rather go down fighting than not. I think tis game will need 3 in midfield though, they'd surely walk through our 2-man midfield.
I think we'll need to absorb pressure and attack quickly. We're not going to press them from the start, that would be version 3 of the Barca CL finals, where we started gung ho and were subsequently dismantled. If we can keep a clean sheet at home, that will properly give us hope. If it's as open a game as against Olympiakos then I wouldn't be surprised if we create some new negative record. We are simply not as good and our strategy needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Mersault

I'm not so sure about this, although I've heard it a few times. Despite the fact that I never watch Northern Ireland play, I would hazard a guess that they do not have any centre-halves who can keep Jonny fecking Evans out of the middle. I would guess he's played at left-back less than 5 times in his senior career.
You could well be right. I remember this way back, early stages of his career.

stu_1992

I think we'll need to absorb pressure and attack quickly. We're not going to press them from the start, that would be version 3 of the Barca CL finals, where we started gung ho and were subsequently dismantled. If we can keep a clean sheet at home, that will properly give us hope. If it's as open a game as against Olympiakos then I wouldn't be surprised if we create some new negative record. We are simply not as good and our strategy needs to be adjusted accordingly.
The key with that though is to not get stuck in a situation where we are constantly absorbing pressure and unable to get out of our own half. There are positives and negatives to that approach as well. I'm guessing you want us to play similar as we did versus Madrid in the two legs last year? Before the red card of course...

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Let's be real, Rodgers outclassed Moyes tactically. I fear what Pep will do to us.

Our only advantage is maybe that Moyes has been to see Bayern a few times this season.

ravelston

--------------De Gea--------------
Rafael---Smalling---Vidic---Buttner
------Carrick--Giggs--Jones------
Rooney--------RVP--------Welbeck

Things we need;
Jones' legs in midfield
Giggs' ability to play the ball forward - obviously we've been severely missing this
Welbeck's pace
Rooney/RVP's quality in the final 3rd

You could actually argue looking at that side Carrick in his current form isn't really offering anything but we can hardly drop him when the alternatives are Cleverley and Fellaini
I really don't think we can afford to play Carrick in his current form - and Fellaini has pretty comprehensively outplayed him in their last couple of games. You could also make a case for playing Evans in place of either Vidic or Buttner. Other than that, I'm right with you.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They are overrated!

Why are you only judging them on the games v Arsenal? They've shown more than enough before then to suggest they're light years ahead of us.

Aye, we're a lot better than we look if we perform to our best. What are the chances of that actually happening though? Even in the last game we showed plenty of weakesses. Plus even if we're at our best, Bayern are still the better team. We'd need them to underperform in the way Real did last year.

There's no hope Welbeck or Nani would get near the Bayern team and Moyes won't pick Kagawa, so I'm not sure how any of them are going to be as dangerous as their counterparts.

LARulz

Attack. We have nothing to lose, its our final run in the competition for a couple years. Their defence isn't as strong as people make out and could be done on the counter. We don't have the team to sit back and soak up pressure. We have to go at them. They would still most likely do us in that type of end to end game too but we have no chance if we just sit and defend.

gza the genius

I keep going back and forth between playing Rafael at left back. I still can't really decide if we lose more by taking Rafael off the right side.