Zidane watch

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Must be a glutton for punishment. Last I heard, Jose was on his way back there.
Real - or any other club - won't forget how his last two club spells ended in a hurry. Reckon Real would have preferred Zidane or Pochettino over him.
Before gloating about rivals losing their players, you guys do realize that Zidane is French and he wanted Pogba when we bought him, only for Perez to block the transfer?

Raiola or Pogba's brother (don't remember who) also recently said Pogba would leave United only for Real or Barca, if I am correct.

We are at threat the most with this appointment. Mourinho wouldn't touch Pogba with a 10 foot pole now atleast.
Pogba has two years left on his contract with the option of a third. Both Eriksen and Hazard only have one more year, so for me the other clubs are 'at threat the most' with the appointment as they risk losing their players for nothing whereas we can stand firm for another year or two. Gets a bit more complicated if we fail to qualify for the CL again.

mav_9me

Before gloating about rivals losing their players, you guys do realize that Zidane is French and he wanted Pogba when we bought him, only for Perez to block the transfer?

Raiola or Pogba's brother (don't remember who) also recently said Pogba would leave United only for Real or Barca, if I am correct.

We are at threat the most with this appointment. Mourinho wouldn't touch Pogba with a 10 foot pole now atleast.
Yeah agreed, we are absolutely at risk too to lose Pogba given the french connection.

Mick321

Nice move by Real as long as they dont feck him over as soon as he gets in the door.

That arrogant tool Courtois may very well find himself on the bench or sold.

Kapardin

Real - or any other club - won't forget how his last two club spells ended in a hurry. Reckon Real would have preferred Zidane or Pochettino over him.

Pogba has two years left on his contract with the option of a third. Both Eriksen and Hazard only have one more year, so for me the other clubs are 'at threat the most' with the appointment as they risk losing their players for nothing whereas we can stand firm for another year or two. Gets a bit more complicated if we fail to qualify for the CL again.
Considering how desperate Real are, and the kind of assurances they must have given Zidane, I think they might even be willing to splash 150 mil if he really wants Pogba. We aren't that safe really.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Same thought crossed my mind. Real are probably the only club who can turn our players' heads and while I'm not saying Pogba or Martial or anyone will all of a sudden want to go to Madrid, the fact that Zidane's got the job rather than Jose certainly does increase that possibility.
Definitely. Especially if we don't make it into top 4 :(

He's also had a baby this year with his wife who's South American apparently, so if Real really would come for him I could see why he would be very tempted. Seems to genuinely enjoy being here under Ole though, and his price tag will be massive.

Ramos

Strange choice. He hasn't got much to win, already pulled of the impossible.

Matt007a

This should be interesting. There is a lot of doubt over whether he was really a mastermind in his previous tenure or if he had a combination of a world class squad and a bit of luck in the CL.

It'll be a true test of his ability now because the squad needs a lot of work frankly.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Thought Guardiola was the master at these sort of things.

Zidane is the real deal :lol:

mav_9me

Considering how desperate Real are, and the kind of assurances they must have given Zidane, I think they might even be willing to splash 150 mil if he really wants Pogba. We aren't that safe really.
I think 150m would be similar to the price for Ronaldo, appears reasonable but given the potential years of service and marketing potential would be a bargain.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Board of directors will have a meeting at 6 pm Spain time. Zidane to be announced after

Bojan11

Don’t see why everyone getting worried. I’d say their attack and defence needs improving first before midfield. They also don’t have a billion to spend. So not like they going to buy every player like in 2009.

Massive mistake on his part. Madrid are on the post galactico downward spiral. They did it in the 2000s and its happening again, the squad is full of ageing stars on the decline and their underwhelming replacements. They'll probably buy one or two massive money players but it won't make much difference. They need a complete reset.

If i'm wrong and he can turn it around then he truly is something special.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I imagine we'd hold out for more. £150M was the price Spurs had on Eriksen's head and Pogba is younger and more marketable with longer on his contract. Real don't have a bottomless budget either. Think the only thing for certain is that they'll be in for Hazard.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Conte will probably return to Juventus now, Allegri will move to Chelsea, Mou to Inter. Ladies and gentlemen we're witnessing Mou's end as a top tier manager

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
why risk ruining your legacy?
What kind of legacy is that though? It's a shitty legacy when everyone assumes it's unrepeatable luck. He's ruining nothing.

He's taking a shot at a job that everyone still has doubts whether he is capable or not.

Djemba-Djemba

When it looked like Mourinho was going back I said I thought it would be a bonkers decision by Madrid. Mourinho is done as a manager at the elite level.

This makes more sense.

Makelele

Massive mistake on his part. Madrid are on the post galactico downward spiral. They did it in the 2000s and its happening again, the squad is full of ageing stars on the decline and their underwhelming replacements. They'll probably buy one or two massive money players but it won't make much difference. They need a complete reset.

This might be Steve Jobs going back to Apple. Zidane has an aura that is special. It might turn out to be a disaster, but it might become the best thing since sliced bread. I'm definitely watching though.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Ed Woodward likes this.
No, no, no and nooooo. Please no. Another Sanchez.
Florentino has accepted everything Zidane asked for, which is not little. There will be a revolution, little by little, with a few surprises
Revolution? What revolution? Who the heck he think he is? Ole? Nope. Hihihihihihihi

I imagine we'd hold out for more. £150M was the price Spurs had on Eriksen's head and Pogba is younger and more marketable with longer on his contract. Real don't have a bottomless budget either. Think the only thing for certain is that they'll be in for Hazard.
And where are they getting the money from? They would still need another midfielder and a bonafide striker.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wow didn't see this one coming, was convinced he'd be at Juve next season

You think? He's been begging them to buy him for years and they haven't looked twice at him. I know Ronaldo isn't there now but the impression has always been they're not really interested in him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Fascinating that a) Florentino has given into Zidane after what happened last summer and b) that Zidane believes Florentino's genuine about it and won't just revert to type if/when results improve.

Definitely one to watch...

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Hazard. Maybe Eriksen/de Ligt? He's a huge Mbappe admirer, but I doubt they'll get him from PSG - not now anyway. Ditto Neymar.

One things for sure, Madrid will spend massive this summer.
how massive can they spend in light of FFP?
I mean with the prices of "galactico" type signings today I would guess a neymar and a hazard type double would be something like half a billion so unless woody is stupid enough to drop a crazy amount of money on bale its hard to see how the books balance?
Not sure what Reals max transfer budget under FFP would be - but half a billion seems excessive even for them