Zidane watch

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
That’s my prediction of Mourinho going back out of the window:(

That said, it’s somewhat interesting and I’m quite surprised. I wonder what made him quit last summer only to come back 10 months later. I’m guessing he saw what was happening with the squad and wanted to strengthen it but was rejected. For him to come back, he must’ve gotten some serious assurances regarding transfers.

Moriarty

If he’ll go, he’ll go for Neymar money at the very least.
Speaking of whom, I wonder if the petulant one will be heading to Madrid now? I'd hate to lose Pogba but with Raiola in charge, it could well happen though Woodward would dig his heels in. But now things have changed at United and Ole has said he would build a team around Pogba. Maybe that will induce him to stay but, if memory serves, it was always Raiola's plan to move on to Spain after England.

SATA

I think he'll try to sign Mbappe. There is talk he's given assurances by Perez to sign him. And also Marcelo and Isco won't be sold. Interesting times ahead for Madrid

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Maybe that will induce him to stay but, if memory serves, it was always Raiola's plan to move on to Spain after England.
I’m sure that he will, but I would imagine it to be more like the Zidane’s own transfer, closer to 28-30 after achieving success at United. Call be naive but I believe that it’ll be important for him to give his all and try to achieve our real return to the top level as our biggest star before moving away.

cheeky_backheel

Seems a bad move for Zidane, particularly so soon after.

The squad needs an overhaul and such rebuilding is far more challenging than winning cups with a star studded squad.

This is more likely to end badly than well.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Could work. But only if they sign 5-7 key new players this summer.

Anyway, there's only one Ronaldo. Zidane is going to miss his GOAT, unless they sign Mbappé. Which could happen now that Zidane is the manager again.:mad::mad:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Rodriguez is out of contract in 2020 and it will hard to shift bale for a decent fee given his wages.
Isco used to play in the vast majority of games under Zidane before so I'm not sure he would move him on?
No doubt Madrid will splurge but I'm not sure they will be able to have another figo/Zidane summer smashing records etc
Rodriguez has an option to buy of €42M, which Bayern will likely activate.
Odegaard is linked with a €20M move to Ajax.
They can sell Mariano and Bale too which, along with wages would give them over 100M to spend.

I could actually see Real try and do a Bale+cash for Eriksen swap. Can't see Bale taking a pay cut but with Spurs moving to a new stadium and the fans being on Levy's back a bit for lack of signings last summer, a 'welcome home' to one of their most notable former players might be tempting - and see the flak he gets for Eriksen leaving reduced.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not sure he's made the correct decision. The squad has regressed and Ronaldo has left. Then again, Real are probably going to spend big again now.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A sad thought is that Real will probably replace Ronaldo before we've managed to do it.

predator

Youth NITK
I bet Perez has been losing his shit recently seeing his club fall so much after Zidanes departure add to the fact Ronaldo seems to be doing fine for another club. I think they will have a very busy summer.

Saffron

I’m not sure about that. With Chelsea’s transfer ban they may just double down and keep him to whatever is left of his contract
Doesn’t Madrid also have a general guideline to not sign anyone over 25? I don’t think any of the current key players were signed at an older age than 25 or very close to it. Even Courtois was 25.

Hazard is 28.

Edit: I just looked it up. Modric is the only outfield player who was signed when he was older, at 26 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder

Dudu

This seems like a bad decision. Surely, he can only go downwards from what he achieved the first time around?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I wonder what made Zidane agree to returning to Real. He left there on a huge high.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wonder what made Zidane agree to returning to Real. He left there on a huge high.
Probably love for the club but it's a very fickle place. I imagine they've promised him a warchest. Too many players are past their peak.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Probably a lot of assurances about signing and restructuring of the club and feck tonne of cash.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Rodriguez has an option to buy of €42M, which Bayern will likely activate.
Odegaard is linked with a €20M move to Ajax.
They can sell Mariano and Bale too which, along with wages would give them over 100M to spend.

I could actually see Real try and do a Bale+cash for Eriksen swap. Can't see Bale taking a pay cut but with Spurs moving to a new stadium and the fans being on Levy's back a bit for lack of signings last summer, a 'welcome home' to one of their most notable former players might be tempting - and see the flak he gets for Eriksen leaving reduced.
The departure of Odegaard seems now more feasible, unless Zidane decides to give him a try in preseason.

Ceballos could also be among them, who did not seem very happy with Zidane and said it in an interview when things were going well.
The Eriksen/Bale sounds great, but seeing the tone of Barnett I do not know if he honestly still expects a bigger club

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The departure of Odegaard seems now more feasible, unless Zidane decides to give him a try in preseason.

Ceballos could also be among them, who did not seem very happy with Zidane and said it in an interview when things were going well.
The Eriksen/Bale sounds great, but seeing the tone of Barnett I do not know if he honestly still expects a bigger club
Who do you think will leave this summer mate?

peridigm

I hope Pep goes back to Barca some day. The sooner the better. Would like to see them to manage against each other for an entire season.

el3mel

So it actually happened. :lol: Let's see if he has a strong reason to return just 1 year later.

Morpheus 7

He's clearly came back because they plan to spend huge. Such a big rebuild, surprised he didn't wait for Bayern or Juve job. I wonder where they would be if they hadn't sacked him. The decline was coming, he should have returned in two or three years when half the squad will be trimmed. Such a rebuild needed, what do you even build it around? Varane, Vinicus Jnr, Asensio, maybe Isco and Carvajal. Some work to do, really wonder if United approached him for the permanent role when Jose was on the brink.

This seems like a bad decision. Surely, he can only go downwards from what he achieved the first time around?
Funny how Guardiola is criticised for only picking up supposedly safe jobs, but Zidane is stupid for taking on a challenging rebuild.

Honestly, wherever Zidane goes, he can only go downwards from 3xCL. Being afraid to tarnish a legacy is such a loser's mentality.

MadMike

Funny how Guardiola is criticised for only picking up supposedly safe jobs, but Zidane is stupid for taking on a challenging rebuild.

Honestly, wherever Zidane goes, he can only go downwards from 3xCL. Being afraid to tarnish a legacy is such a loser's mentality.
Great post.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Probably love for the club but it's a very fickle place. I imagine they've promised him a warchest. Too many players are past their peak.
Who is past their peak? Modric, Ramos and Benzema are as good as ever.

Only Marcelo seems to be on the way down, the rest of the team is young.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Who do you think will leave this summer mate?
It's hard to say now Maxi. We do not know to what extent Zidane has freedom or exactly what he wants.
Now Marcelo and Isco are supposed to stay, but Marcelo and Isco are priority for him as Benzema ?. Right now I think Bale and James are the only ones sure.

MadMike

They have so many GKs now, I'm not worried about them wanting DDG in the slightest.

And as for Pogba, they'd have to spend Neymar money to get him. Whereas they could probably get Hazard and Eriksen for less, given that they're both running their contracts down and entering the last year. Would make more sense for them too.