6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobbs

You're right in everything you said, but if you think like that then you should think of how many goals the others make comparing with the other top 6 teams:

Manchester United, 39 goals = Ibra-15, Mata-6, Pogba-4, Mkhi-3, Martial-3, Rashford-3
Chelsea, 55 goals = Costa-16, Hazard-10, Pedro-7, Willian-5, [Irrelevant point]-4
Arsenal, 55 goals = Sanchez-17, Giroud-8, Walcott-8, Ozil-5, Iwobi-3
Spurs, 53 goals = Kane-19, Alli-13, Song-7, Eriksen-5, Rose-2
Liverpool, 58 goals = Mane-12, Firmino-9, Lallana-7, Coutinho-6, Milner-6
Manchester City, 53 goals = Aguero-12, Sterling-6, Nolito-4, De Bruyne-4, Iheanacho-4, Toure-4

It's probably clear to everyone what the problem is?
No doubt other players haven't scored enough. Though I'm not sure those figures need to keep being repeated in the Zlatan thread. For instance you've brought them up here and they're not at all relevant to my reply. I'm talking purely about Zlatan and his impact in the league.

RedMaestro

No doubt other players haven't scored enough. Though I'm not sure those figures need to keep being repeated in the Zlatan thread. For instance you've brought them up here and they're not at all relevant to my reply. I'm talking purely about Zlatan and his impact in the league.
You don't think so? I was responding to this:
However you look at it he's scored 15 in the league. It's a decent amount. It's not great though. One ahead of Defoe, a couple ahead of Ali. It's only six more than Troy Deeney. Given his status, his position and the team he plays for I don't think anybody could be blown away by his league form.

Well doesn't his impact depend on his teammates? You point out that it's not that big of a difference compared to i.e. Alli. I showed that the other teams have made more goals than Manchester United and have a better distribution. Having 15 goals of the teams 39 is a good "impact in the League" for Ibra.

Oh, by the way. Am I supposed to create a new thread everytime I want to say something a bit off-topic? Well, if I'm wrong then I apologise.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I wont be all that disapointed if Zlatan leaves next season if we get another striker (Belotti or Dembelle for example)
Zlatan may be very fit but his reaction is clearly slower. Those half chances/opportunities go missing. As you get older your reaction times become a fraction slower.
Martial and Rashford are not quite there.

Greizman will replace Rooney.

Mikhi and Mata and hopefully Pereira will be good options for the attacking midfielder options.

RedMaestro

I wont be all that disapointed if Zlatan leaves next season if we get another striker (Belotti or Dembelle for example)
Zlatan may be very fit but his reaction is clearly slower. Those half chances/opportunities go missing. As you get older your reaction times become a fraction slower.
Martial and Rashford are not quite there.

Greizman will replace Rooney.

Mikhi and Mata and hopefully Pereira will be good options for the attacking midfielder options.
Belotti is really good, but wouldn't he need some time to adjust to the PL? I think that this is the problem, there's not a striker that's "ready" to produce 20+ goals their first season. At least none I can think of at the moment, that are available.

Dobbs

You don't think so? I was responding to this:
However you look at it he's scored 15 in the league. It's a decent amount. It's not great though. One ahead of Defoe, a couple ahead of Ali. It's only six more than Troy Deeney. Given his status, his position and the team he plays for I don't think anybody could be blown away by his league form.

Well doesn't his impact depend on his teammates? You point out that it's not that big of a difference compared to i.e. Alli. I showed that the other teams have made more goals than Manchester United and have a better distribution. Having 15 goals of the teams 39 is a good "impact in the League" for Ibra.

Oh, by the way. Am I supposed to create a new thread everytime I want to say something a bit off-topic? Well, if I'm wrong then I apologise.
Nothing to apologise for but I'm talking about Zlatans league form and how difficult(or not) it will be to replace him. The goals others have scored just aren't relevant here.

If available I'd start Ibra from now until the end of the season, he's done quite well in the league, the other players are used to him upfront and it's too late to start messing about. However the rhetoric on his league form has got out of proportion. It's not that difficult to replace.

Like I said I'd start with Zlatan but if he is banned I hope Rashford can show José that we at least have a decent alternative.

RedMaestro

Nothing to apologise for but I'm talking about Zlatans league form and how difficult(or not) it will be to replace him. The goals others have scored just aren't relevant here.

If available I'd start Ibra from now until the end of the season, he's done quite well in the league, the other players are used to him upfront and it's too late to start messing about. However the rhetoric on his league form has got out of proportion. It's not that difficult to replace.

Like I said I'd start with Zlatan but if he is banned I hope Rashford can show José that we at least have a decent alternative.
Do you think that Mourinho will get a back-up for Ibra (if he stays) if Rashford won't be successful during Ibra's suspension? I hope Rashford will score lots of goals, but I'm wondering what Mourinho's plan might be.

Janson

You're right in everything you said, but if you think like that then you should think of how many goals the others make comparing with the other top 6 teams:

Manchester United, 39 goals = Ibra-15, Mata-6, Pogba-4, Mkhi-3, Martial-3, Rashford-3
Chelsea, 55 goals = Costa-16, Hazard-10, Pedro-7, Willian-5, [Irrelevant point]-4
Arsenal, 55 goals = Sanchez-17, Giroud-8, Walcott-8, Ozil-5, Iwobi-3
Spurs, 53 goals = Kane-19, Alli-13, Song-7, Eriksen-5, Rose-2
Liverpool, 58 goals = Mane-12, Firmino-9, Lallana-7, Coutinho-6, Milner-6
Manchester City, 53 goals = Aguero-12, Sterling-6, Nolito-4, De Bruyne-4, Iheanacho-4, Toure-4

It's probably clear to everyone what the problem is?
And now people will counter with: But we are setup to create all the chsnces for Zlatan and no one else gets a chance to score.:lol:

SirScholes

That's a sitter? Running at full pace and controlling a ball that high is honestly in no way easy. Yes, a player of his calibre could and should do better, but the ball being close to the net doesn't automatically make it a sitter. There's a reason why many defenders put balls like that in their own net by mistake.
Sorry for bumping this and if it's already been picked up.
But the reason they score own goals is because it's harder to miss the target than score so you're arguing against yourself here

Janson

If available I'd start Ibra from now until the end of the season, he's done quite well in the league, the other players are used to him upfront and it's too late to start messing about.
However the rhetoric on his league form has got out of proportion. It's not that difficult to replace.

What's not that difficult to replace? Zlatans goals?

Sorry, made a mess of the bold part.:)

criticalanalysis

And now people will counter with: But we are setup to create all the chsnces for Zlatan and no one else gets a chance to score.:lol:
It would be interesting to see the goals spread during the latter RVN years and the years after that, where we played a lot better as a team.

Dobbs

Do you think that Mourinho will get a back-up for Ibra (if he stays) if Rashford won't be successful during Ibra's suspension? I hope Rashford will score lots of goals, but I'm wondering what Mourinho's plan might be.
I'm not sure. I said in the build up to signing Zlatan ( it was my main complaint) that it's difficult to see how this fits with any long term planning. I can't see him going with Rashford next season. It's just not Mourinho. However I don't see him relying on Zlatan so much. Then you thrown in Zlatans reluctance to commit and it's all a bit unsure.

Dobbs

What's not that difficult to replace? Zlatans goals?
His league goals. I also said "not that difficult." I'm not dismissing 15 goals, it's a decent tally, but you don't need to spend massive amounts to replace that tally.

Shuriken

Because Ibra doesn't get frustrated like this anymore. 5-10 years ago, yes, but not that much anymore.
Lol. That was funny, because surely, you must be joking.

I'll admit that during this season for us he's been awfully (surprisingly, rather) quiet regarding his familiar thuggish antics – and that's comparing it to his own standards.

However, I'll repeat, it hasn't been non-existent. From the top of my head: his heel-stomp on Seamus Coleman. Or his out-of-nowhere throat-grabbing/chest-puffing against Simon Kjaer in the Europa League away fixture to Fenerbahce, to what – get the team "going"? As much as I love hard hitting bruising hockey, football ain't hockey. I also seem to recall something in our 1–3 win away against Swansea previously this season, in which he was yellow carded, can't remember the exact details, although if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't a standard football challenge, so to speak.

Also: 5–10 years ago? Now I know you're joking. From his "no-look-pass", uhm… "humor" – to his red card (albeit a harsh call) with PSG against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, or another red card whilst also at PSG, playing against Valencia in the Champions League. Come on…

Like I said, I like Ibra. His arrogance and character needs to stay the same, but you can't deny the fact that it hurts (and has hurt) his teams (and in the end, also himself), neither can you convince me of otherwise. What matches have you actually been watching the past 5–10 years? From playing for our national team to the club matches, it appears as if you've missed quite a few golden nuggets!

Last edited:

Shuriken

He has cut that part of his game out a while ago, that's why I was so surprised how he could do something like that. But he is only human as you say and these things happen. Let's just hope he learns from it.

I don't agree though that the ban could be positive for us. Mourinho doesn't need an excuse to try someone else upfront. If he thought that's a viable option, then he would have tried it more.
No, he hasn't cut that part out, he's toned it down a bit perhaps, masking it through his in general professional behaviour, but don't fool yourself – he's still Zlatan and that is a big part of being Zlatan. There's a reason he has freaking black belts in martial arts and that many know about it, or the fact that he jokes about sending both Conor McGregor or Floyd Mayweather to the hospital (actually, he just might, haha).

It's just a part of who he is and his persona, forever tough guy, with a tough mentality. Which is fine. But it does have its downsides too.

Janson

No, he hasn't cut that part out, he's toned it down a bit perhaps, masking it through his in general professional behaviour, but don't fool yourself – he's still Zlatan and that is a big part of being Zlatan. There's a reason he has freaking black belts in martial arts and that many know about it, or the fact that he jokes about sending both Conor McGregor or Floyd Mayweather to the hospital (actually, he just might, haha).

It's just a part of who he is and his persona, forever tough guy, with a tough mentality. Which is fine. But it does have its downsides too.
That's what people tell me at least. I haven't watched him much in Psg so I'm not sure what has been going on over there in France. But I know he used to get more red cards earlier in his career.

RedMaestro

It would be interesting to see the goals spread during the latter RVN years and the years after that, where we played a lot better as a team.
I've looked at his time at Manchester United and put them together, so these are the numbers I've found:

League goals (goals in all comp):
01/02: RVN-23(36), Solskjaer-17-(25), Beckham-11(16), Scholes-8(9) Giggs-7(9)Veron-5(5)
02/03: RVN-25(44), Scholes-14(20), Solsjkaer-9(15), Giggs-8(14), Beckham-6(11), Forlan-6(9)
03/04: RVN-20(30), Scholes-9(14), Giggs-7(8), Saha-7(7), Ronaldo-4(6), Forlan-4(8)
04/05: Rooney-11(17), RVN-6(16), Scholes-9(12), Smith-6(10), Giggs-6(9), Ronaldo-5(9)
05/06: RVN-21(24), Rooney-16(19), Ronaldo-9(12), Saha-7(15), Giggs-2(4), Richardson-1(5)

Janson

His league goals. I also said "not that difficult." I'm not dismissing 15 goals, it's a decent tally, but you don't need to spend massive amounts to replace that tally.
That could be true but how likely would that replacement bring the hold up and mainly playmaking that Zlatan brings?I've said this many times, he wouldn't be considered as one of the top strikers in the world for a decade if you only look at his goalscoring. He isn't clinical, difinately not, but finding someone who has his type of skillset would be difficult.

RedMaestro

@criticalanalysis I've done a list of the remaining seasons as well. Here goes:

06/07: Ronaldo-17(23), Rooney-14(23), Saha-8(13), Solskjaer-7(11), Scholes-6(7), Giggs-4(6)
07/08: Ronaldo-31(42), Tevez-14(19), Rooney-12(18), Saha-5(5), Giggs-3(4), Nani-3(4)
08/09: Ronaldo-18(26), Rooney-12(20), Berbatov-9(14), Tevez-5(15), Vidic-4(7), Nani-1(6)
09/10: Rooney-26(34), Berbatov-12(12), Valencia-5(7), Giggs-5(7), Owen-3(9), Scholes-3(7)
10/11: Berbatov-20(21), Hernandez-13(20), Rooney-11(16), Nani-9(10), Park-5(8), Vidic-5(5)
11/12: Rooney-27(34), Hernandez-10(12), Welbeck-9(12), Nani-8(10), Berbatov-7(9), Young-6(8)
12/13: van Persie-26(30), Rooney-12(16), Hernandez-10(18), Kagawa-6(6), Giggs-2(5), Evra-4(4)
13/14: Rooney-17(19), van Persie-12(18), Welbeck-9(10), Hernandez-4(9), Mata-6(6), Januzaj-4(4)
14/15: Rooney-12(14), Mata-9(10), van Persie-10(10), Herrera-6(8), Fellaini-6(7), Smalling-4(4)
15/16: Martial-11(17), Rooney-8(15), Mata-6(10), Rashford-5(8), Lingard-4(6), Depay-2(7)

RedMaestro

That could be true but how likely would that replacement bring the hold up and mainly playmaking that Zlatan brings?I've said this many times, he wouldn't be considered as one of the top strikers in the world for a decade if you only look at his goalscoring. He isn't clinical, difinately not, but finding someone who has his type of skillset would be difficult.
Probably impossible, especially nowadays. Strikers of his kind are the last of a dying breed...

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't remember exactly but hasn't he scored more goals up til this part of the season than any other player we've had in the last 15 years except Ronaldo and Rooney in 08 and 09 (both in title winning/CL finalist teams)? But nah, if he isn't on a world record goal scoring run a la prime Messi then we should just shrug our shoulders at whatever he achieves, right?
I'm not saying he should be scoring 40 goals by this stage of the season. I'm saying if he'd converted 2-3 of the chances he's had in certain games, we'd be higher up the table. Is that really so hard to accept? We also shouldn't be shrugging our shoulders and going "meh what are you going to do?" when Zlatan misses the chances that could've made the difference between a draw and a win.

I do feel the rest ought to contribute. Martial, Mata and Mkhitaryan have not exactly had good goalscoring runs this season. Hell, they've not even consistently appeared in many consecutive games. Maybe that's our problem. The ones who should be supplementing Zlatan's goal in the team have been injured or out of the team too often this season.

Also, this is not the Pogba thread, but to further emphasise that I don't solely think Zlatan is to blame for our league position, Pogba has been absolutely rubbish at finishing the chances he's had.

RedMaestro

Lol. That was funny, because surely, you must be joking.

I'll admit that during this season for us he's been awfully (surprisingly, rather) quiet regarding his familiar thuggish antics – and that's comparing it to his own standards.

However, I'll repeat, it hasn't been non-existent. From the top of my head: his heel-stomp on Seamus Coleman. Or his out-of-nowhere throat-grabbing/chest-puffing against Simon Kjaer in the Europa League away fixture to Fenerbahce, to what – get the team "going"? As much as I love hard hitting bruising hockey, football ain't hockey. I also seem to recall something in our 1–3 win away against Swansea previously this season, in which he was yellow carded, can't remember the exact details, although if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't a standard football challenge, so to speak.

Also: 5–10 years ago? Now I know you're joking. From his "no-look-pass", uhm… "humor" – to his red card (albeit a harsh call) with PSG against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, or another red card whilst also at PSG, playing against Valencia in the Champions League. Come on…

Like I said, I like Ibra. His arrogance and character needs to stay the same, but you can't deny the fact that it hurts (and has hurt) his teams (and in the end, also himself), neither can you convince me of otherwise. What matches have you actually been watching the past 5–10 years? From playing for our national team to the club matches, it appears as if you've missed quite a few golden nuggets!
Well clearly you've more interested in his antics than I am. I more interested on his play, so I rarely remember everything as good as you do. I remember him for all of his goal, assists and other good things. As I remember it - 5-10 years ago, it was almost as if he wanted to fight all the time. Now it only happens when someone's "begging" for it, by constantly "harassing" him. This is actually something you should expect - his style of play is very physical, so the defenders have to be physical and most of the time use other "tools", such name-calling and so forth.

Janson

Probably impossible, especially nowadays. Strikers of his kind are the last of a dying breed...
Yeah, I agree. Was gonna say impossible but settled for difficult. I'm sure though, if Mourinho is still here, he will try to find a big man as his replacement to lead the line.

RedMaestro

I'm not saying he should be scoring 40 goals by this stage of the season. I'm saying if he'd converted 2-3 of the chances he's had in certain games, we'd be higher up the table. Is that really so hard to accept? We also shouldn't be shrugging our shoulders and going "meh what are you going to do?" when Zlatan misses the chances that could've made the difference between a draw and a win.

I do feel the rest ought to contribute. Martial, Mata and Mkhitaryan have not exactly had good goalscoring runs this season. Hell, they've not even consistently appeared in many consecutive games. Maybe that's our problem. The ones who should be supplementing Zlatan's goal in the team have been injured or out of the team too often this season.

Also, this is not the Pogba thread, but to further emphasise that I don't solely think Zlatan is to blame for our league position, Pogba has been absolutely rubbish at finishing the chances he's had.
Like you said, this is the Ibra thread - but doesn't the same thing apply to his teammates? Wouldn't we be higher up the table if they scored "when they should have"?

RedMaestro

Yeah, I agree. Was gonna say impossible but settled for difficult. I'm sure though, if Mourinho is still here, he will try to find a big man as his replacement to lead the line.
Mourinho has probably planned something. I had an idea which I wrote in a different thread and that was to try to buy Kasper Dolberg, 19 years old, 1.87m, 77kg. Loan him out to a mid-League club for 2 years and when he returns he can be ready to fully take over after Ibra. Will be 22 years old when the season starts. Or someone like him.

The same thing he did in Chelsea, when he bought Courtois. Loaned him out to Atletico Madrid for 3 seasons and when he returned he took over from Cech. Would be the ideal solution in my opinion. Because I really don't see any striker out there at the moment that could be available and doing what Ibra does.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
To be fair every single other top scorer around him have the same or more assists than him.

Ban

I'm sick and tired of those 'if he had converted those chances we would be higher up the table.'
As if that works like that.
He would score those chances and then he would score the goals he indeed scored too?
And what about other players and their chances?
The guy who scored the most gets the most flak about missed chances.

Janson

To be fair every single other top scorer around him have the same or more assists than him.
Maybe that's because our players keep missing chances he setup. You do know he has the most chances created in our team with 77? And he's second after Sanchez in key passes in PL, and third in Europe only after Messi and Sanchez, from the top scorers.

MadMike

The only reason he has created more chances is cause he's played more minutes. His chance creation is actually the 2nd lowest from our forward players.

RedMaestro

Read this today about Ibra - you can agree or disagree but here goes:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...ona-but-hes-more-like-roy-keane-35502782.html
Stephen Hunt: People compare Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Eric Cantona - but he's more like Roy Keane

When Zlatan Ibrahimovic signed for Manchester United on a free transfer in the summer, I was not convinced he would live up to the hype and compete at the highest level every week in the Premier League. The whole 'call me Zlatan' thing never sat comfortably with me.

Boy, was I wrong. He has come to the Premier League to prove a point and he looks to me like he has been saving this one up, and wanted to prove to the doubters in England that he is the genuine article. He reads things; he knows some of the English media had written him off because he couldn't score against English clubs for a while. Until that famous overhead kick, that is. He has obviously enjoyed proving people wrong and showing what he's all about.

Ibrahimovic gives belief to everyone around him in a young United side because he believes in himself, no matter what. So even when the team has not been playing well, or going through a sticky patch in games, he has still oozed the same confidence, calmness and, most importantly, that desire to win.

He still wants to drive his team-mates and lead from the front. When he signed, I wasn't sure he could handle the physical challenge of the Premier League. He absolutely loves it.

He actually likes hurting centre-backs. He does it within the rules, of course, but just lets them know from the off that he's there and up for a battle. First ball in the air. Bang. This is what you're up against.

When the ball is in his space, he makes clever movements, allowing other people to find the spaces he should be in. And when the ball is in his vicinity in the six-yard box - his own or the opposition's - he will fight to win it. It must be brilliant to play regular football with him.

He's 35, a year younger than me. And that drive is the reason he's still playing at the very highest level - and I'm not playing now. I didn't have the motivation to play while people didn't see a future for me. I had a clear vision of what I wanted to do after football about three years before I quit. I always knew I would take the enthusiasm I had as a player into my business life. So I was ready to stop trying to prove people wrong as a footballer.

Ibrahimovic still has that desire to prove himself, and I think Jose Mourinho has capitalised on it too and used it to keep him motivated and such a pivotal member of that team. He might not be the captain, but Ibrahimovic is their leader.

Looking at the impact he has made on Jose Mourinho's side and the role he played in winning the EFL Cup at Wembley last weekend, Ibrahimovic is the striker I would want above anyone else in my side at the moment.

In fact, if his form and influence continue and United stay in the running for more silverware, he must be among the leading contenders for the player of the season awards.

If I look at the best strikers in the Premier League, not one of them compares to Ibrahimovic and the presence he has on the pitch - and you can tell the impact that has throughout the whole team.

Alexis Sanchez, for example, might deserve a new contract with Arsenal, and I'd give him what he wants, but just by the way he is constantly throwing his arms in the air, playing for himself, I would not trust him.

Harry Kane might be close to the whole package as a striker, but he doesn't have the same presence. He's playing for his love of Tottenham, God love him, and doesn't have anything to prove to a crowd that adores him. And there's no real pressure because Spurs never win trophies.

Sergio Aguero and Diego Costa play under that pressure every week at Manchester City and Chelsea, respectively, and their goals help win trophies, but they also have other big names around them to relieve it. They've both had their difficulties with their managers this season and, as they are playing for new contracts, they are playing for themselves.

Comparisons have been made with United legend Eric Cantona, for many reasons, but I would say Ibrahimovic is the total opposite. Deep down, with Cantona, it was all 'look at me'. Ibrahimovic is a proper team player.

Ibrahimovic loves being Zlatan and he thrives on that aura he tries to give off. He loves being on the stage, living up to star billing. You might see him strutting and playing up to the cameras, laughing and joking.

Don't be fooled. He is one of the most serious footballers I've seen. I'd put him in the Roy Keane category of sheer drive, and lifting standards around him. He is more interested in his team than Cantona was, and making sure his team is winning.

When Jesse Lingard scored United's second goal last week, Ibrahimovic gave him a pat on the back and then started bawling and shouting and demanding concentration throughout the team, telling defenders how to defend, and then doing his own defending, leading by example. It was inspirational stuff.

Will he or won't he stay at Old Trafford? That is the big question. United will want him to stay, of course, but I'd believe his agent when he says they can have the pick of just about any club, anywhere.

Ibrahimovic knows he can name his price. But it won't just be about the money to him. He could become a real United legend. Like Cantona.

Wherever he goes, or if he stays, it will be to prove a point and to relish every minute of doing so.

MadMike

..and also as you know, he needs to take more shots to score a goal than the rest of his teammates. They don't often shoot, but when they shoot, they are more likely to score. Pogba also takes many shots per goal

MadMike

Read this today about Ibra - you can agree or disagree but here goes:
He says a lot of good stuff about his winning mentality, his way with the youngsters and his humour. But there's a load of arse licking bollox in that article too. The below a prime example:

If I look at the best strikers in the Premier League, not one of them compares to Ibrahimovic and the presence he has on the pitch - and you can tell the impact that has throughout the whole team.

Alexis Sanchez, for example, might deserve a new contract with Arsenal, and I'd give him what he wants, but just by the way he is constantly throwing his arms in the air, playing for himself, I would not trust him.

Harry Kane might be close to the whole package as a striker, but he doesn't have the same presence. He's playing for his love of Tottenham, God love him, and doesn't have anything to prove to a crowd that adores him. And there's no real pressure because Spurs never win trophies.
Alexis Sanchez and Harry Kane have been tearing the league up, the way he belittles their purpose to their respective teams is astonishing. They have undoubtedly been better in the league than Ibra too. And Zlatan does a fair amount of his own complaining to his teammates. It's hard to find a balanced views these days.

RedMaestro

..and also as you know, he needs to take more shots to score a goal than the rest of his teammates. They don't often shoot, but when they shoot, they are more likely to score. Pogba also takes many shots per goal

How do you know that they'll score more if they take more shots? If that's what you're implying...

RedMaestro

He says a lot of good stuff about his winning mentality, his way with the youngsters and his humour. But there's a load of arse licking bollox in that article too. The below a prime example:

Alexis Sanchez and Harry Kane have been tearing the league up, the way he belittles their purpose to their respective teams is astonishing. They have undoubtedly been better in the league than Ibra too. And Zlatan does a fair amount of his own complaining to his teammates. It's hard to find a balanced views these days.
Agree with you about the Sanchez and Kane part. But this is Ibra's first season, which it's not for the others.

Janson

Wow, how did you discover this? So this means that Zlatan is our worst finnisher. I think you should send these stats to Mourinho so he can let the prolific Wayne Rooney, Lingard, Martial and co take more shots.

Maybe Mourinho doesn't have acces to these stats so he's under the impression Zlatan is our best finnisher.

MadMike

How do you know that they'll score more if they take more shots? If that's what you're implying...
There's no guarantee that if they started taking more shots they would keep their current SpG ratio, true. What it shows is that they are not profligate.

Someone in this thread has been implying that Zlatan is great at creation making and his teammates miss the chances he creates for them. The reality is that, for the time he's played, Zlatan has created less chances than the other forwards and he's been profligate when his teammates haven't. They haven't been missing chances, their conversion rate is very good, they are just not at the receiving end of chances.

The problem of our league goalscoring form has been that:
a) We didn't always put our most creative players on the pitch (Mkhi and Martial benched for long periods)
b) Some of the creative players have not been scoring many goals compared to their shots (mainly Pogba)
b) The vast majority of our chances fall to Ibrahimovic, which makes us one dimensional and over-reliant on him
c) Considering the number of chances, Ibra's goal scoring record in the league is decent, but very far from great. Despite that he's never benched.

The stats back all this up.

I have also argued that compared to last season we are only 6 goals better off in the league, despite adding Mkhi and Pogba to the squad and playing far more attacking football. All that suggests to me that this over-reliance on Ibra has not really paid off in the league and is not actually to the teams benefit at the moment. But people see whatever they want to see in the stats

MadMike

Wow, how did you discover this? So this means that Zlatan is our worst finnisher. I think you should send these stats to Mourinho so he can let the prolific Wayne Rooney, Lingard, Martial and co take more shots.

Maybe Mourinho doesn't have acces to these stats so he's under the impression Zlatan is our best finnisher.
All brilliant arguments I can't counter them. My brain will explode from the effort ;)

Janson

All brilliant arguments I can't counter them. My brain will explode from the effort ;)
There is nothing to counter, you just posted some pointles stats, I think you should explain what you want to prove.

RedMaestro

There's no guarantee that if they started taking more shots they would keep their current SpG ratio, true. What it shows is that they are not profligate.

Someone in this thread has been implying that Zlatan is great at creation making and his teammates miss the chances he creates for them. The reality is that, for the time he's played, Zlatan has created less chances than the other forwards and he's been profligate when his teammates haven't. They haven't been missing chances, their conversion rate is very good, they are just not at the receiving end of chances.

The problem of our league goalscoring form has been that:
a) We didn't always put our most creative players on the pitch (Mkhi and Martial benched for long periods)
b) Some of the creative players have not been scoring many goals compared to their shots (mainly Pogba)
b) The vast majority of our chances fall to Ibrahimovic, which makes us one dimensional and over-reliant on him
c) Considering the number of chances, Ibra's goal scoring record in the league is decent, but very far from great. Despite that he's never benched.

The stats back all this up.

I have also argued than compared to last season we are only 6 goals better off in the league, despite adding Mkhi and Pogba to the squad and playing far more attacking football. All that suggests to me that this over-reliance on Ibra has not really paid off in the league and is not actually to the teams benefit at the moment. But people see whatever they want to see in the stats
One of the biggest problems this season has been the inconsistency. The front four should be "cemented" by now, but injuries and Mourinho has prevented this. Mkhitaryan hasn't played that much and if he'd been available more I think he and Ibra would have understood each other even better. Same goes with Ibra and Martial - they have no "chemistry" at all - don't undrstand each others movements.

I don't like the shots per goal ratio, because if you'd "trust" that it would mean that for instance, Troy Deeney (25 apps, 9 goals, 1.3 SpG) or Fernando Llorente (20 apps, 11 goals, 1.8 SpG) or Joshua King (21 apps, 8 goals, 1.5 SpG) or Andre Gray (19 apps, 8 goals, 1.9 SpG) or even Joe Allen (24 apps, 6 goals, 1.3 SpG) are all better, with better SpG than Ibra - are these better players than Ibra? I hope you don't say yes, I can't take you seriously if you do so... :)

MadMike

There is nothing to counter, you just posted some pointles stats, I think you should explain what you want to prove.
There's nothing to prove to you buddy. You are beyond receiving proof as evidence. Just enjoy the posts

MadMike

One of the biggest problems this season has been the inconsitency. The front four should be "cemented" by now, but injuries and Mourinho has prevented this. Mkhitaryan hasn't played that much and if he'd been available more I Think he and Ibra would have understood each other even better. Same goes with Ibra and Martial - they have no "chemistry" at all - don't undrstand each others movements.

I don't like the shots per goal ratio, because if you'd "trust" that it would mean that for instance, Troy Deeney (25 apps, 9 goals, 1.3 SpG) or Fernando Llorente (20 apps, 11 goals, 1.8 SpG) or Joshua King (21 apps, 8 goals, 1.5 SpG) or Andre Gray (19 apps, 8 goals, 1.9 SpG) or even Joe Allen (24 apps, 6 goals, 1.3 SpG). Are these better players than Ibra? I hope you don't say yes, I can't take you seriously if you do so... :)
And Rojo has 0.6 which is the best for the team after his goal yesterday. These stats need indeed to be viewed in comparison with others. A lot of these players are not forwards (Joe Allen) and the others don't have enough good movement and link-up play to get to the receiving end of goalscoring opportunities. All these are measures of a strikers ability. I'm not doubting that Zlatan is a better all around player than them and brave enough to take enough shots to score goals.

However when you have the highest number of missed clear goalscoring chances in the league and the highest number of shots per goal, it does show that perhaps Ibra is not as indispensable as we make him out to be and we should be exploring different options for when he's having a stinker. It's hard for me to believe that all our attacking players have regressed and Ibra is the sole saviour when I look at these stats. I love to have him here, but I'm not scared of a future without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.