Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not you personally. I just think it's a bit rich to complain now about kneejerk reactions when the Zlatan fan club was at it after two games.
The Zlatan fan club wasn't based on his early performances, it was based on his form over the past 12 months where he scored 50 goals.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Did @Raoul or @addo complain that those tags were kneejerk reactions like they are doing now? That instead they should all be taking the long view?

I think the real problem here is that one of their favourites is getting a bit of deserved flack.
Calling out negativity will never be classified as kneejerking.

Treble

People around here are kneejerkers who typically can't see beyond the tip of their own noses.
Or maybe you are describing yourself here with your boundless optimism about the signing of a 35 y.o. striker coming from a poorer league?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
There is absolutely nothing wrong with supporting the player. When I go Burnley on Saturday I'm gonna put a tenner on him scoring a hat trick (if he starts)

But I saw these performances coming a mile off and I'm just so confused why we made him our top priority. Still got time to turn it around yet.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We need more passionate players who throw tantrums because the team aren't playing well. The problem here isn't Zlatan, its fans who somehow think players should be well behaved as if they're watching a Wimbledon match or something. They shouldn't. They should show passion, rage, and rawness. We need more of that and we will get it.
Nailed it!
Rashford says hi.
Agreed, Ibra is a winner and we didn't have many winners in our team last season, love the man already :D
Of course he will deliver. He's Zlatan.
I also would like to ask these posters what they think of recent happenings.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Poor run of form by the squad, including most outfield players. Clearly that is the problem - a general lack of cohesion and squad solidarity to implement Mourinho's tactics. No one has been immune from this.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Poor run of form by the squad, including most outfield players. Clearly that is the problem - a general lack of cohesion and squad solidarity to implement Mourinho's tactics. No one has been immune from this.

No but the idea he was some batshit hard man who wouldn't accept shit performances from his peers contrasts massively with his post match antics

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Or maybe you are describing yourself here with your boundless optimism about the signing of a 35 y.o. striker coming from a poorer league?
Actually it isn't me who is jumping to conclusions after every game or whenever Zlatan doesn't score a header. I prefer taking the longer view instead of self-immolating myself in the name of negativity each time we drop points.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There is absolutely nothing wrong with supporting the player. When I go Burnley on Saturday I'm gonna put a tenner on him scoring a hat trick (if he starts)

But I saw these performances coming a mile off and I'm just so confused why we made him our top priority. Still got time to turn it around yet.
Honestly, he was never going to be the guy to carry us in big games. He's never done that in his career and there was no reason to expect him to do it here (should've scored a few though anyway). What he has always done and what I still think he'll do this season is he will rack up the goals in the 'normal' games, starting with the Burnley game. For bigger games though I'd have no problems rotating him in and out with martial/rashford. He was a free signing and what he'll give us for that is still a great deal, especially considering 28/29 year old Higuain went for fecking 90m.

Man-United

A player is not allowed to be out of form anymore? He was fine until Zorya game, thought he played well against Stoke but missed that early chance. Two games later he's past it and Twiggs and Dobbs for some reason wakes up and think they were right?! :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No but the idea he was some batshit hard man who wouldn't accept shit performances from his peers contrasts massively with his post match antics
I never looked at him as such (even though he has had his odd rants over the years). He has been a bit lackluster just like a vast majority of the rest of the players.

Brigred

I thought he was meant to be a clinical/strong centre forward but he's doesn't give a fxxk About utd ...Starting to dislike this man more with every game

Dobbs

A player is not allowed to be out of form anymore? He was fine until Zorya game, thought he played well against Stoke but missed that early chance. Two games later he's past it and Twiggs and Dobbs for some reason wakes up and think they were right?! :lol:
Was it yourself who tagged me for the first two games?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Mate, it's very rare I get to brag, let me have these two games.

Man-United

Was it yourself who tagged me for the first two games?
Don't know, don't care. Why not look yourself?

You tell it like Zlatan is done at highest level and you were right all the time. I won't buy that.

Sigma

He's had a bad run where the whole team is playing poorly. The last 2 games he's had virtually no support as Rashford/Lingard are basically full backs. That being said, he's wasted some good chances, case in point that Valencia cross to him where he really should have made it 1-1. But I'm not worried, he has enough confidence in himself to not let this get the better of him. He had a very good start to the season, and he will get back to that sort of form soon.

Man-United

Jeez after one game they're already out.

I said I wouldn't judge till Christmas. Suggest you do the same.
I found this from august though. What happened to that?

That said. You can still be right come the end of the season though.

Treble

Actually it isn't me who is jumping to conclusions after every game or whenever Zlatan doesn't score a header. I prefer taking the longer view instead of self-immolating myself in the name of negativity each time we drop points.
Fair enough, let's hope that Zlatan will show why Jose trusts him to deliver the goods.

Dobbs

Your reaction after @Twigginater was repeatedly tagged after just one game. A stark contrast to you now complaining about kneejerk reactions.

It's all good fun though.

Don't know, don't care. Why not look yourself?

You tell it like Zlatan is done at highest level and you were right all the time. I won't buy that.
I found this from august though. What happened to that?

That said. You can still be right come the end of the season though.
It wasn't you who tagged me sorry.

I'm not making any definitive final judgements about Ibra. I may well be wrong and he deserves until Christmas. All I'm saying right now is that my thoughts on him are starting to become a reality. Which is pretty shit.

On a side note I don't think suggesting Zlatan is done at the highest level is that controversial. However my argument was always that he's not the type of striker we need.

Man-United

It wasn't you who tagged me sorry.

I'm not making any definitive final judgements about Ibra. I may well be wrong and he deserves until Christmas. All I'm saying right now is that my thoughts on him are starting to become a reality. Which is pretty shit.

On a side note I don't think suggesting Zlatan is done at the highest level is that controversial. However my argument was always that he's not the type of striker we need.
I don't think it will happen that he plays this bad until Christmas, but at the same time I have been surprised by many things so far this season already. Pogba not working yet, Mourinho having problems finding his best XI.

I was sure that when Zlatan and Pogba joined we would win the league. Can admit I was wrong about that. I really thought this team would work much earlier, but it looks like it will take time.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Gonna be some quotes flying around if he scores tomorrow.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Your reaction after @Twigginater was repeatedly tagged after just one game. A stark contrast to you now complaining about kneejerk reactions.

It's all good fun though.
Laughing at a failed, cynical attempt to question the value one of our new players after he scored is completely fine. What is more insidious and destabilizing for the club is having a fan base that sharpen the knives at the manager and players each time we drop points.

Dobbs

Laughing at a failed, cynical attempt to question the value one of our new players after he scored is completely fine. What is more insidious and destabilizing for the club is having a fan base that sharpen the knives at the manager and players each time we drop points.
I disagree. It just smacks of double standards. If you don't like kneejerk reactions it should apply if the rushed judgement is positive or negative.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I disagree. It just smacks of double standards. If you don't like kneejerk reactions it should apply if the rushed judgement is positive or negative.
Its only a double standard because your view is being challenged. I don't really care for moaning or negative, cynical kneejerking so I don't mind if agitators are called out.

Ludens the Red

Agree mate, I don't even consider it knee jerking. Anyone who questioned Zlatan in that summer transfer thread was in no uncertain terms called clueless, despite the very legitimate concerns. Defenders pumped their chests out and proclaimed Zlatan mimicked the goalscoring of Messi and Ronaldo and would take us to a new level and teach Rashford the ropes.

Fast forward two months into his time, he has 1 goal in 7, misses chance after chance and mimicks the footballing ability of Andy Carroll and it's "knee jerk " to not expect better.

Dobbs

Agree mate, I don't even consider it knee jerking. Anyone who questioned Zlatan in that summer transfer thread was in no uncertain terms called clueless, despite the very legitimate concerns. Defenders pumped their chests out and proclaimed Zlatan mimicked the goalscoring of Messi and Ronaldo and would take us to a new level and teach Rashford the ropes.

Fast forward two months into his time, he has 1 goal in 7, misses chance after chance and mimicks the footballing ability of Andy Carroll and it's "knee jerk " to not expect better.
If you questioned the signing and continue to question Zlatans form(debate being the essence of a football forum) you are apparently:

failed
cynical
insidious
destabilizing

Words gathered from just one post.

Absolutely crackers how devoted some posters are to their favourites.

addo

Presumably you guys were pointing this out when two games in myself and other doubters were being tagged in posts?
Did @Raoul or @addo complain that those tags were kneejerk reactions like they are doing now? That instead they should all be taking the long view?

I think the real problem here is that one of their favourites is getting a bit of deserved flack.
It's fair enough over all. I certainly would rather people be optimistic.
As you can see i've been a member at this forum for 10 years, but only have 150ish posts, which means i dont post very often, so no, i did not complain when you guys got the bad end of the kneejerks :) just as i most likely will not if/when he turns it around and starts scoring again.

The Zlatan fan club wasn't based on his early performances, it was based on his form over the past 12 months where he scored 50 goals.
I agree but for me its more based on his career spanning the last 15 or so years.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Sigh. I defended him and try to close my eyes to his past misses but they've become too many and actually costing us points. We could have had a lot more points had Zlatan been just a little bit clinical, right now he's not anywhere close to that.

It has reached a point where every time I see a good ball put to him to score, I expect him to miss and so far he's meeting my expectations.

And the way his chances comes and the timing of his chances is what making his misses feel a lot worse. His chances comments at crucial moments and he continuously fail to bury them.

We could have had 3 points against Stoke, he missed a sitter against Watford when the game was still goalless which would have guaranty a smoother proceeding of the game and probably a victory.

He missed another sitter against Liverpool at a crucial time which would have meant us properly closing up shops and maybe get all 3 points. He missed another sitter with an empty net against City and that would have meant we equalised. Missed another sitter header against Chelsea when the game was still 1-0 meaning we get back on track and stop proceeding recklessly.

These are points being dropped when we should have been ceasing somme some of them. The amount of clear cut chances Zlatan has been missing is annoying, currently costing us points.

Wayne's World

A lack of service from our midfielders and (especially) wingers are to blame for Ibra. I still rate him very highly and I think once he gets a goal (hopefully tonight) then he might go on a goal-scoring run.

Two or three bad games doesn't make a bad player and it's not like we have been firing on all cylinders since he's had a bit of a bad patch

Man Utd 1:0 Man City

AndyJ1985

A bit surprised about his fitness tbh, I expected him to play fewer games before the season. Lets hope our staff know what their doing and don't overplay him. At least they are better judges of that than we are.
If you ran around as little as Ibrahimovic does you could probably play 50 games a season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.