g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zlatan Rejoins United

How do you feel about Zlatan signing for another year?

• Total voters

Shuriken

They should've waited with this announcement until mid-week, international break and all, because if we don't batter Leicester 4 or 5 nil today, I personally will think this is why!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Great getting that clarification from Jose, who no doubt would've explained the situation to Ibra before signing. I'm sure he knows the score. Big disappointment for the Bluemooners though expecting Zlatan to disrupt the dressing room. Our bench is going to be shit hot in the new year!

ZAGREB RED

A great addition to the squad, I don't doubt for a second, that even at his age, he will be back as strongly as last season, if not even better. He is totally driven and dedicated towards being a success, he must know his time at the very top of the game can only last another couple of years and he will want to make the most of it. Will have to settle for being a squad player, unless Lukaku bombs spectacularly, but what a squad player to have.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
As all our subs are proving, the bench is the best place to start a match this season. Zlatan is gonna have a good time.

meninred

If he agrees and is ok to be an impact substitute he can help the team as he can play as no. 9 or no. 10. But Lukaku should be main striker.

rampo

Happy birthday Zlatan:):)

Club record:

Matches: 723
Goals: 420
Trophies: 31

Matches: 116
Goal: 62

Legend !!

Reactions: Penna

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The people who don’t want him back are probably the same people who said he was too old or he wont be able to handle the Premier League. They were proved wrong.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The people who don’t want him back are probably the same people who said he was too old or he wont be able to handle the Premier League. They were proved wrong.
That might be a tad extreme, but I get your point.

I think a better indicator that he will be needed was seen in the build up to the Palace match where there were rumours Lukaku would miss out. Now, it was Palace and we would have won with or without him but having Rom miss out massively affects our attack. Having Ibra as backup totally changes this, mentally as much as anything - for us and opponents.

Kostov

Having him back in the squad will provide a hell of an option. Imagine playing against Lukaku and you know there still Zlatan to come in.

addo

Wiki says 31 trophies

Wiki says 31 trophies

I think he is referring to the fact Zlatan also won with Juventus.. tho Juventus were stripped of the titles due to calciopoli..

Bwuk

Can see Mkhi/Mata making way for Zlatan for sure when the big man is fit.

el3mel

Not Mata but Mkhitaryan. Mata plays on the right. Zlatan plays central.
If we somehow play Zlatan as a number 10, I'm pretty sure Mikhi will be moved to the right and Mata will benched. The combination between Zlatan and Mata as our playmakers is extremely slow and will be easy to defend against. Mikhi adds some pace to the complex.

SirAF

Ageist
If we somehow play Zlatan as a number 10, I'm pretty sure Mikhi will be moved to the right and Mata will benched. The combination between Zlatan and Mata as our playmakers is extremely slow and will be easy to defend against. Mikhi adds some pace to the complex.
This.

lem8sh

Very narrowed view. Personally I feel we don't particularly need him, his experience is a plus admittedly. I think certain traits of his style (ie coming deep toward the ball) is a negative and results in us struggling to break teams down due to the opposition being able to squeeze higher and the subsequent lack of space for his fellow attackers. Would prefer Rashford or Martial up top when Lukaku not available.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Very narrowed view. Personally I feel we don't particularly need him, his experience is a plus admittedly. I think certain traits of his style (ie coming deep toward the ball) is a negative and results in us struggling to break teams down due to the opposition being able to squeeze higher and the subsequent lack of space for his fellow attackers. Would prefer Rashford or Martial up top when Lukaku not available.
There's a lot of things you don't need, but when you have them are nice.

zumba8

He is an incredible option to have. If we stay in all cup competitions we need a replacement for Lukaku. I think Mourinho has enough experience to rotate the squad for everybody to have their fare share of playing time. He is doing a great job so far to rotate Rashford and Martial. He can do similar thing with Lukaku and Ibra.

Imagine you are a fullback or centerback and you defend Rashford/Lukaku for 70min, getting a bit tired, and than see Martial and Ibra on the touchline fresh and ready to be substituted. It would be a long 20 minutes.

Reactions: Joga Bonito

The red panther

princess transfer emo
He is not too old but he is too slow.

Our attacking play this season is alot beter with him not in it. Lukaku adds more pace and is more clinical and the other players like Martial and Rashford are playing beter in combo with someone like Lukaku. Not having Zlatan as the centre of our attacking feels like a breath of fresh air for this team.

I don't know who he would replace atm and he should not been walking in the team simply because he is Zlatan.

wolvored

I think Joses view is to take Lukaku off after being 3-0 up around 65 mins and let Ibra play. Will his ego allow that? Will be interesting tmes in the new year!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This isn't about ego or pace. If we are going to challenge deep into the league and CL campaigns, we need big squads with big time winning players who can contribute goals, contribute their wisdom and experience, and galvanize the dressing room to move us forward.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
No chance Ibra will get regular game time if Lukaku keeps up this form. Strikers don’t have to work as hard either, Lukaku will start most games until the end of the season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No chance Ibra will get regular game time if Lukaku keeps up this form. Strikers don’t have to work as hard either, Lukaku will start most games until the end of the season.
I don't think the goal is to give player x or y all the game time. Its about having a big, experienced squad where players can be rotated in and out as the season grinds on and players get fatigued, injured, suspended, have dips in form etc. Ibra's experience and talismanic influence will be a massive confidence boost both on the pitch as well as in the dressing room. Lukaku's presence means Ibra won't be asked to carry all the water as he was last year, and Ibra's presence means significantly less pressure on Lukaku to do the same this year. Basically a win/win for all.

MDFC Manager

I don't think the goal is to give player x or y all the game time. Its about having a big, experienced squad where players can be rotated in and out as the season grinds on and players get fatigued, injured, suspended, have dips in form etc. Ibra's experience and talismanic influence will be a massive confidence boost both on the pitch as well as in the dressing room. Basically a win win for all.
Indeed. Mourinho will be simultaneously hoping for Lukaku's form to continue as well as praying for Ibra to come back ASAP. The squad will benefit massively to have a proven winner, champion and leader. It could well prove to be the difference in us winning silverware this season or not.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I don't think the goal is to give player x or y all the game time. Its about having a big, experienced squad where players can be rotated in and out as the season grinds on and players get fatigued, injured, suspended, have dips in form etc. Ibra's experience and talismanic influence will be a massive confidence boost both on the pitch as well as in the dressing room. Basically a win win for all.
Except I can imagine Ibra, even at his age, will be wanting more game time. Maybe that’ll be a good thing for the strikers in terms of competition, but hopefully it doesn’t turn Ibra’s charismatic, positive influence in the dressing room into something else. Sometimes too many big egos can be too much, just look at PSG or R. Madrid (at times).

I think Ibra has the professionalism needed to realise he’s not the player or starter he once was and will be required to take up up a different role. He’s one of the best characters ever in football so I trust him