Zlatan tells Lukaku "‘Go do your voodoo s***, you little donkey"

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ban should be served in a voodoo shed, both players should be fed nothing but donkey meat.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should have just locked them in a cage with PPV and let them get it over and done with.

Halftrack

This. Except people will be determined to find a way to make it racist.

There has to be a balance.

Ibra isn’t stupid, he wouldn’t repeatedly shout something intentionally racist in a silent stadium with cameras and lip readers watching for good measure.

You could see he was on the wind up, Rom bit. Handbags.
Not actually meaning it doesn't make racism and racial stereotyping okay. Having done it unknowingly might be considered mitigating circumstances, but if this is allowed to pass then that opens up the door for far more unsavoury people to use it as an excuse.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ban should be served in a voodoo shed, both players should be fed nothing but donkey meat.
I had camel meat (which is supposed to taste like donkey) stew once.

All I could think about was camel humps and those lips throughout the meal, but it was surprisingly good all the same. Would eat again.

Sorry, carry on.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I had donkey meat stew once.

All I could think about was camel humps and those lips throughout the meal, but it was surprisingly good all the same. Would eat again.

Sorry, carry on.
Donkey burgers are apparently all the rage in China.

Was once served a pasta dish in Italy with donkey meat - without realizing that's what it was before ordering. It was very good - but I wouldn't have ordered it if I'd known.

Had horse steak once too - again without realizing it before it was too late. But that was actually...not positively bad (in terms of taste) but you wouldn't mistake it for beef (there was something off there - something about the smell too).

RedDevil@84

One match ban for both. Isn't that harsh on Romelu (not that I watched the game)?
For saying "I will feck you and your wife" and whole lot of "Bi**h" and going into the tunnel saying "I will shoot you in your head"

Seems like one match ban is bare minimum

abundance

Supports
Inter
One match ban for both. Isn't that harsh on Romelu (not that I watched the game)?

If Zlatan had done that in England I wonder what the punishment would be.
I wonder that too, given the more substantial scrutiny of racial undertones that would have been carried on there.

But if ones concludes that what went on was simply vulgar offences being exchanged, a simple yellow card to both players was fair.

Lukaku got mad at Romagnoli and confronted him head on head before Ibra stepping in with vulgar insults.
Then Lukaku took his bait, insulted him back an reached out to confront him head on head too.
Ibra then carried on insulting but kept a distance.

Some more banter at a distance went on at first half end but nothing substantial in the end.

Simple yellow for both was okay.

1 match ban wasn't directly related to that.
For Ibra it was because he got a second yellow and sendoff for an unrelated foul in second half.
For Lukaku it was because he reached the maximum total of yellow cards in multiple games in Coppa Italia (which is set at 2, being a very short competition)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
For saying "I will feck you and your wife"
He surely didn't say that, though?

I mean, "feck you and your wife" is a fairly standard insult (not sure why he'd include the wife - but the pair of them do know each other, perhaps Rom doesn't care for Ibra's wife for whatever reason).

On the other hand: "I will feck you and your wife - and shoot you in the head" is not a normal insult. That would be well south of the "abnormal" border and deep in the heart of Psycho Town.

RUCK4444

Not actually meaning it doesn't make racism and racial stereotyping okay. Having done it unknowingly might be considered mitigating circumstances, but if this is allowed to pass then that opens up the door for far more unsavoury people to use it as an excuse.
If he’s been linked with doing something voodoo related and obviously said so for Ibra to bring it up then it has nothing to do with his skin colour and purely related to the story/incident in itself.

Storm in a teacup imo. And I’m a strong advocate for taking the knee and BLM

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maybe it was the racism. Remember Evra fighting with that Chelsea groundsman?
Yeah, if he took it as racist abuse, definitely.

For saying "I will feck you and your wife" and whole lot of "Bi**h" and going into the tunnel saying "I will shoot you in your head"

Seems like one match ban is bare minimum
I understand going full Mike Tyson if he felt racially abused (see above).

I wonder that too, given the more substantial scrutiny of racial undertones that would have been carried on there.

But if ones concludes that what went on was simply vulgar offences being exchanged, a simple yellow card to both players was fair.

Lukaku got mad at Romagnoli and confronted him head on head before Ibra stepping in with vulgar insults.
Then Lukaku took his bait, insulted him back an reached out to confront him head on head too.
Ibra then carried on insulting but kept a distance.

Some more banter at a distance went on at first half end but nothing substantial in the end.

Simple yellow for both was okay.

1 match ban wasn't directly related to that.
For Ibra it was because he got a second yellow and sendoff for an unrelated foul in second half.
For Lukaku it was because he reached the maximum total of yellow cards in multiple games in Coppa Italia (which is set at 2, being a very short competition)
Cheers. So Simon Stone is quite misleading with his 1 match ban for the pair of them tweet.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan

If Zlatan had done that in England I wonder what the punishment would be.
None of them got any additional punishment besides the yellow cards they received during the incident.

Lukaku will be suspended in the next cup game due to yellow card accumulation.
Ibra was sent off when he received his 2nd yellow in a different situation in the second half.

Lukaku's is not harsh at all. He was picking fights with everybody before Zlatan even got involved.
Then he said "I feck you and your wife" and "I'll shoot you in the head" in front of the cameras.
He only got a yellow for that when he should've been sent off in that very moment. I'd say he got off very easy.

RedDevil@84

I understand going full Mike Tyson if he felt racially abused (see above).
I think he was pissed off because of bringing in his mother or bringing out that episode again (regardless of whether it happened or not). If it were racism, he would have made a statement to that effect, I think. He is not someone who keeps silent usually.

jem

I find some people here trying to find a racist angle somehow. They look desperate for it.
I personally think Zlatan was refering to that Moshiri claim. They both were together at United at that time so knows each others inside stories well.
I think it’s as simple as that. Ibra probably knew about Moshiri’s claim and knew that it bothered Lukaku. Had Moshiri instead made a similarly off base allegation about bdsm, I’m sure Zlatan would’ve used that.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he was pissed off because of bringing in his mother or bringing out that episode again (regardless of whether it happened or not). If it were racism, he would have made a statement to that effect, I think. He is not someone who keeps silent usually.
Yeah, perhaps. Hope they put this behind them, both. Shame to see really.

Anustart89

Didn’t Lukaku say that he was going to shoot Zlatan? Is racism worse than murder?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Didn’t Lukaku say that he was going to shoot Zlatan? Is racism worse than murder?
If he had murdered him it would definitely be worse.

He made an empty threat that literally nobody on the planet took seriously, which definitely isn't as bad as either murder or racism.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If Lukaku shot him in the head then that should result in a lengthy ban, yeah.

Halftrack

Maybe it was the racism. Remember Evra fighting with that Chelsea groundsman?
He didn't fight him because of racist abuse, the accusations of racism was brought in the aftermath by Mike Phelan and Richard Hartis, who claimed the Chelsea groundsman had used racial slurs against Evra. Evra testified that he hadn't heard the alleged insults.

Anustart89

Saying you'll shoot someone isn't murder!
Sorry, meant murder threats.

And it’s not even cut and dry whether Zlatan was acting in a racist manner. Not like he used the n-word. There’s context for the voodoo thing (which would be the shadier of the things Zlatan said), and redcafe hasn’t handed out infractions for using the word donkey in relation to players here, both black and white, so it’s not a slam dunk in terms of whether donkey is racist.

Conor

Considering they were team mates, I think it's hard to definitively state that Ibrahimovic's comment is racist, it could easily be based on some personal interaction they had. The fact that you have Pogba coming out in defence of him would tend to make you think the comment could have been based on something within the team at the time they were playing together.

Considering they were team mates, I think it's hard to definitively state that Ibrahimovic's comment is racist, it could easily be based on some personal interaction they had. The fact that you have Pogba coming out in defence of him would tend to make you think the comment could have been based on something within the team at the time they were playing together.
the fact they were ‘teammates’ is irrelevant. I expect zlatan didn’t spend a great deal of time at at Carrington during his injury - and imagine time spent playing together was minimal.

having said that you only need mins to determine Lukaku has a shit first touch. Love Zlatan’s £50 a good touch taunt.

Conor

the fact they were ‘teammates’ is irrelevant. I expect zlatan didn’t spend a great deal of time at at Carrington during his injury - and imagine time spent playing together was minimal.

having said that you only need mins to determine Lukaku has a shit first touch. Love Zlatan’s £50 a good touch taunt.
How is the fact that they knew and spent time with each other irrelevant? It could completely change the context of his comments.

kthanksbye

How is this even a story? Is the Italian media talking about it? Or is it just in England that people are looking for racism where there isn't any?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
How is this even a story? Is the Italian media talking about it? Or is it just in England that people are looking for racism where there isn't any?
Its a story because two high profile players got into the sort of shouting match you normally hear on a playground and this time the audio is incredibly clear, rather than be drowned out by the crowd.

There's also excellent photos of then going nuts

I bet editors up and down the country got a boner when they heard and saw these two knuckleheads in action.

None of the papers are saying Zlatan was racist, not sure why you say they're "looking for racism", in fact they all explain that it was a reference to the Everton board members accusation, rather than a racist comment.

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

I had camel meat (which is supposed to taste like donkey) stew once.

Sorry, carry on.

where im from, camel meat stew is very common meal, and a very delicious meal .

sorry for the off topic response .

Withnail

Zlatans a great player but he has the attitude of a Ronaldo or Messi level player and his career has never backed that up.
I think he has the attitude of someone who's still scoring a ton of goals and has won titles at practically every club he's played for.

While not at Messi/Ronaldo level, isn't he one of the most prolific goal-scorers of all time?

How is the fact that they knew and spent time with each other irrelevant? It could completely change the context of his comments.
it’s not as if they knew each other for years. Lukaku came when Zlatan was injured, they probably barely saw each other. I imagine Zlatan was away from Carrington a lot of that time.

NotThatSoph

He didn't fight him because of racist abuse, the accusations of racism was brought in the aftermath by Mike Phelan and Richard Hartis, who claimed the Chelsea groundsman had used racial slurs against Evra. Evra testified that he hadn't heard the alleged insults.
Alright. Evra threatening to punch Suarez, then.