Zlatan tells Lukaku "‘Go do your voodoo s***, you little donkey"

Irwinning

19 pages in this thread and everyone is only concerned about what was said, rather than why there was an argument in the first place. Clownworld.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
19 pages in this thread and everyone is only concerned about what was said, rather than why there was an argument in the first place. Clownworld.
I mean it's quite obvious why there was an argument, they've been sniping at each other through the media and both trying to assert themselves as the top dog and it's been building up. What did you think the argument was about?

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Since many aren't getting the context of the 50 pounds/dollars comment.
In an October 2019 interview with Gazzetta dello Sport, the Swede said: "Don't expect good technique from Lukaku. His best strength is sheer power – if only he'd listened to me.

"At Manchester United, we made a bet: 'I'll give you £50 for every decent first touch you make'. He replied: 'What do I win if I get them all right?' I told him nothing, he would simply become a better player.

"For the record, he never accepted the bet! Perhaps he was afraid of losing..."

He added: “Joking aside, Lukaku has this mad hunger to prove himself to the world and I'm sure he will do well at Inter too.”

Irwinning

I mean it's quite obvious why there was an argument, they've been sniping at each other through the media and both trying to assert themselves as the top dog and it's been building up. What did you think the argument was about?
Thank you!
(I don't watch Italian football and don't intend to. (Just curious as to why 2 former United guys are moaning about each other. Could care less about a voodoo occupying a racist woodshed)

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They've been at it ever since Zlatan came to Milan.

Or maybe you've made a sweeping generalisation and decided that you're the authority on the cultural and social workings of school children of certain ethnicities.
Opinion isn't fact and certainly doesn't give you the right to decide the intelligence or lack of, as it would be, of other posters.
No I haven’t. I’ve made a comment based on what I’ve observed and logic.

I used an example from my experience at school about voodoo slurs being used against African kids and the guy asked “if I went to high school in Africa”pretty idiotic reply. Does he think that there are no African kids outside of Africa ?

Also logically. We see that racial/ethnic stereotypes are often used racially. Telling a Chinese person to “go eat a dog” is a racist insult or joke, jokes about curry or cow pee to Indians are racist, the same applies to voodoo it’s stereotypically something only said towards people of West African origin.

big rons sovereign

No I haven’t. I’ve made a comment based on what I’ve observed and logic.

I used an example from my experience at school about voodoo slurs being used against African kids and the guy asked “if I went to high school in Africa”pretty idiotic reply. Does he think that there are no African kids outside of Africa ?

Also logically. We see that racial/ethnic stereotypes are often used racially. Telling a Chinese person to “go eat a dog” is a racist insult or joke, jokes about curry or cow pee to Indians are racist, the same applies to voodoo it’s stereotypically something only said towards people of West African origin.
I see your point, but there's no winner to this argument
People will always see it differently.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
The “Zlatan was just referencing a Moshiri quote” thing is totally irrelevant. If an opposition player had told Park to “go eat a dog” arguing that it was referencing a chant would not remove the racial element from the insult.

As someone mentioned earlier, if this is acceptable because it was intended as a wind up then so to in principle was Suárez telling Evra “I’m kicking you because you’re black”.

The “Zlatan was just referencing a Moshiri quote” thing is totally irrelevant. If an opposition player had told Park to “go eat a dog” arguing that it was referencing a chant would not remove the racial element from the insult.

As someone mentioned earlier, if this is acceptable because it was intended as a wind up then so to in principle was Suárez telling Evra “I’m kicking you because you’re black”.
I’d say if it was, as Zlatan said, based on the Everton thing, then it’s less racist more similar to being offensive to someone because of their religion or beliefs... (I know lukaku is a Christian).

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Thank you!
(I don't watch Italian football and don't intend to. (Just curious as to why 2 former United guys are moaning about each other. Could care less about a voodoo occupying a racist woodshed)
I think the build up is the stuff the media tends to love, @GifLord posted a couple of the tweets, and I think there's been a couple more comments over the last few months. I think from a media perspective the rivalry is something they can exploit for clicks

mu4c_20le

That's just, like, your opinion man. Lukaku never accused Moshiri of racism either, he just threatened to sue him for libel or something.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I’d say if it was, as Zlatan said, based on the Everton thing, then it’s less racist more similar to being offensive to someone because of their religion or beliefs... (I know lukaku is a Christian).
I don’t totally disagree but it is based on a racist stereotype. You could argue that Zlatan was ignorant of the racial element but in that case he should have come out and apologised, saying that he didn’t understand this at the time.

Instead he comes out with his usual self serving nonsense and gives further justification to the “PC gone mad” crowd and gives the actual racists another insult they can use without consequence.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If you repeat some weird racist shit, to the original target of that racist shit, in an attempt to upset them, then you are being racist.

Ibrahimovic should be banned. I very much doubt he will be.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
That's just, like, your opinion man. Lukaku never accused Moshiri of racism either, he just threatened to sue him for libel or something.
It’s coincidentally the opinion of the vast majority of people who actually know what they’re talking about.

If you repeat some weird racist shit, to the original target of that racist shit, in an attempt to upset them, then you are being racist.

It really is that simple. Thank you!

NotThatSoph

This should really give the Italian ultras an idea for their next letter explaining their actions.

"There's nothing racist about the monkey chants we did, we were just referencing this other time it happened."

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
This should really give the Italian ultras an idea for their next letter explaining their actions.

"There's nothing racist about the monkey chants we did, we were just referencing this other time it happened."
I'm worried they're gonna started talking about wooden sheds.

Needham

Voodoo is a religion, just without a central authority. Does that fact make it ok to use it as a term of offence, or for it to be taken as such? Anyone on the caf practice voodoo? For all it's media associations with doll stabbing and agonizing deaths, its practioners seem refreshingly hard to offend, at least in this instance. Haven't heard a squeak out of them yet. Can imagine the furor if Ibrahimavich had yelled "Go practice your Islamic/Scientologist/[fill in blank] shit". I commend the voodooists for their calm reaction!

ShareEndorphins

Supports
Chelsea
I mean it was just in the heat of the game, next week everybody will have forgotten about it. Just two player having a quarrel.

mu4c_20le

Would he have said that he does Voodoo if he didn't have African heritage?
If the Moshiri thing never happened and he thought it up himself, then it would be dodgy. But as soon as someone brought up that incident as context, this should immediately be a non issue.

I very much doubt it. Lukaku's reaction especially was pretty strong, i don't think they're the best of friends.
Lukaku seems like an emotional guy and the two used to be teammates, thats why I think it was just a heated moment where stupid things were said. Zlatan is obviously aware of the memes surrounding the guy and knew which buttons to push.

RUCK4444

If the Moshiri thing never happened and he thought it up himself, then it would be dodgy. But as soon as someone brought up that incident as context, this should immediately be a non issue.
This. Except people will be determined to find a way to make it racist.

There has to be a balance.

Ibra isn’t stupid, he wouldn’t repeatedly shout something intentionally racist in a silent stadium with cameras and lip readers watching for good measure.

You could see he was on the wind up, Rom bit. Handbags.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Voodoo is a religion, just without a central authority. Does that fact make it ok to use it as a term of offence, or for it to be taken as such? Anyone on the caf practice voodoo? For all it's media associations with doll stabbing and agonizing deaths, its practioners seem refreshingly hard to offend, at least in this instance. Haven't heard a squeak out of them yet. Can imagine the furor if Ibrahimavich had yelled "Go practice your Islamic/Scientologist/[fill in blank] shit". I commend the voodooists for their calm reaction!
Knowing and having been around those religions, people aren't hard to offend. The difference is that they will rely on their gods to do what needs be done, with the help of prayers. :D

VanKenny

Zlatan wasnt attacking his race, he was attacking Lukaku himself which id argue its even worse. He used an anectodal experience to piss off Lukaku, but its not racist because he isnt making discrimination or generalization based on the color of Lukaku's skin, he's stating a fact because of a past experience involving Lukaku.

It wasnt racist whatsoever guys, drop it. I find it really annoying how there is more noise around the whole "voodoo" thing than around the fact that Lukaku just casually threw around rape suggestions involving Zlatan's wife.

For example, im Mexican. Let say i just so happened to be Zlatan's teammate for a couple of seasons, and he always saw me eating beans every day with every meal, and everyone on the dressing room would give me shit for it. Then few years later im the rival of Zlatan, and in the heat of the moment Zlatan tells me to "go eat your fukin beans". Would that be racist? IMO it wouldnt. What would be too much would be if i replied to him talking about raping his wife and shooting him on the head.

You guys dont find a problem with how Zlatan is being seen as the villain or the racist here?

Another example, hypothetically speaking lets say im an asian lady that has totaled 6 cars in the past, i cant drive for shit. Then one day i get into an argument with my neighboor about whatever, and she tells me to go crash another car and leave her alone. Is that racist? I dont think so

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Zlatan wasnt attacking his race, he was attacking Lukaku himself which id argue its even worse. He used an anectodal experience to piss off Lukaku, but its not racist because he isnt making discrimination or generalization based on the color of Lukaku's skin, he's stating a fact because of a past experience involving Lukaku.

It wasnt racist whatsoever guys, drop it. I find it really annoying how there is more noise around the whole "voodoo" thing than around the fact that Lukaku just casually threw around rape suggestions involving Zlatan's wife.

For example, im Mexican. Let say i just so happened to be Zlatan's teammate for a couple of seasons, and he always saw me eating beans every day with every meal, and everyone on the dressing room would give me shit for it. Then few years later im the rival of Zlatan, and in the heat of the moment Zlatan tells me to "go eat your fukin beans". Would that be racist? IMO it wouldnt. What would be too much would be if i replied to him talking about raping his wife and shooting him on the head.

You guys dont find a problem with how Zlatan is being seen as the villain or the racist here?

Another example, hypothetically speaking lets say im an asian lady that has totaled 6 cars in the past, i cant drive for shit. Then one day i get into an argument with my neighboor about whatever, and she tells me to go crash another car and leave her alone. Is that racist? I dont think so
Wait, Lukaku said he'd rape Zlatan's wife? When was that? Not in the stuff I've heard.

VanKenny

Wait, Lukaku said he'd rape Zlatan's wife? When was that? Not in the stuff I've heard.
Well, ive only ready this thread but supposedly he said he was going to fuk his wife.

I mean, if we are being obtuse about it we can say Zlatan's wife may give consent to Lukaku, but then that speaks about the hypocrisy of your argument when you condone Zlatan so harshly for something anecdotal and ignore Lukaku's remarks about messing with another man's wife.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Well, ive only ready this thread but supposedly he said he was going to fuk his wife.

I mean, if we are being obtuse about it we can say Zlatan's wife may give consent to Lukaku, but then that speaks about the hypocrisy of your argument when you condone Zlatan so harshly for something anecdotal and ignore Lukaku's remarks about messing with another man's wife.
Where have I condemned Zlatan so harshly?

They both acted like morons.

feck does not equal rape by the way. Big, big, big difference.

RedDevil@84

"I'll feck you and your wife" is what he seemed to have said. "I will shoot you in your head" is also something he seemed to have said.

Now one can interpret the first statement as "Feck you and your wife" which would not seem much than someone flipping the finger. Adding "I will" at the start makes it open to interpretations.
Second statement is quite clear I guess.

VanKenny

Where have I condemned Zlatan so harshly?

They both acted like morons.

feck does not equal rape by the way. Big, big, big difference.

Yeah sorry, i wasnt talking specifically about you, i was making a generalization for people that are trying to condone Zlatan and make it seem as this terrible racist person and just give Lukaku a pass with his much worse remarks.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
dear people. Please read this guys reply and the comment he replied to. Is he being intentionally obtuse or is he just not too intelligent. Regardless, it does show that in some debates people either lack sincerity , or they lack the intelligence to understand complex nuances of a topic.
Nah you are the one who is fundamentally misinterpreting the terms by trying creating a context which doesn’t exist. Then when being challenged, you go on cowardly sprouting some pretentious nonsense in order to hide from your own false claims which were fundamentally constructed from flawed logic. Not very smart.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
One match ban for both. Isn't that harsh on Romelu (not that I watched the game)?

If Zlatan had done that in England I wonder what the punishment would be.