Zlatan's Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxdan

So many doomers all over this forum.. We're not going to "rely" on Zlatan if he signs the extension. We'll sign a top striker to complement him and Rashford. It's the same as in the transfer forum, people saying "oh, if we sign Lacazette, Perisic, Dier and Lindelöf i'll be seriously underwhelmed and we're going to struggle to get top 4".
Exactly. We are going to play 60+ games again next season. Unless we get knocked out of competition early. Having a healthy Zlatan show up at just about the right time, could help immensely. I don't know whether or not it will happen, but I think it could be a very positive thing. We'll need quality depth in the squad, especially about that time.

edgar allan

Was there ever actually a confirmed diagnosis re the extent of his injury? This would be such incredible PR if the ligaments were only slightly pulled, requiring a few months to recover, but he and Raiola decided to make it out it was way worse.

I'm ill and laid up, I'm getting on these Caf conspiracies.
He ruptured his cruciate ligament, they cut the ligament out completely and replaced it with a graft from his hamstring.
That is why the recovery takes that much longer than other ligament injuries as the graft has to gradually be loaded to be able to stabilise the knee joint. Go back too early and the risk of a re-rupture is much higher.

Last edited:

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He didn't want to sign when CL wasn't guaranteed, he took the risk and at 36 (when he finally gets back) there is no guaranteeing he will be able to even be an impact player. Offer him a contract based on appearances. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Jaxdan

I don't think CL had much to do with it. He signed with us originally when we weren't in it. I heard it had more to do with him wanting two years instead of one.

edgar allan

Any contract he signs, with us or anyone, will be conditional and incentive laden. Even Zlatan wants and expects that. It's not as though the club, any club, is going to pay him that kind of scratch while he recuperates so I don't see why that is even mentioned as an issue.
That will likely be the case to some degree but I would imagine that he would not accept much of a reduction. I still think that close to 20 million salary for a 36
year old that wont play for at least half the season may still be an issue for the club money people especially if we are likely to be bringing in 3-4 new top earners on big wages. They will now be asking for 400K plus now that the seen that Ibra got paid this.

In truth I am hoping that we will bring in a young , fast mobile forward which will help us play more exciting football and score more goals. If Ibra stays as a back up for later in the year then great but we need to be building for the future and obviously shouldn't be depending on his return.

Reactions: Penna

Jaxdan

That will likely be the case to some degree but I would imagine that he would not accept much of a reduction. I still think that close to 20 million salary for a 36
year old that wont play for at least half the season may still be an issue for the club money people especially if we are likely to be bringing in 3-4 new top earners on big wages. They will now be asking for 400K plus now that the seen that Ibra got paid this.

In truth I am hoping that we will bring in a young , fast mobile forward which will help us play more exciting football and score more goals. If Ibra stays as a back up for later in the year then great but we need to be building for the future and obviously shouldn't be depending on his return.
Maybe not. And if so then I doubt any big club will take that chance on him and he'll have to wait on the MLS. But they won't pay him that kind of money either, even if he never got injured.

arthurka

Just get him signed.. We wont get two good strikers and he will be ready in October I would bet on it..

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I Know Zlatan's stats have been amazing but we simply haven't missed him since his injurry.
What?
While he was playing, we used to create huge numbers of chances, but miss most of them.
Since his injury we barely created any chances and scored very few goals - something like half a goal per game.
Rashford scoring 5 league goals (or whatever it is), is terrible from a MUFC forward, but given that he is young, this is excusable.
If he was in his prime scoring 5 league goals per season, he'd be sold!

Some MUFC fans just don't understand that the most important task in football is to score goals and that task generally falls on the shoulders of the striker.
Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez etc are highly rated for scoring lots of goals. The swag with which they play is icing on the cake, but it's the goals that attract the attention.

Goals are what count. Everything else is ... optional

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What?
While he was playing, we used to create huge numbers of chances, but miss most of them.
Since his injury we barely created any chances and scored very few goals - something like half a goal per game.
Rashford scoring 5 league goals (or whatever it is), is terrible from a MUFC forward, but given that he is young, this is excusable.

Some MUFC fans just don't understand that the most important task in football is to score goals and that task generally falls on the shoulders of the striker.
Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez etc are highly rated for scoring lots of goals. The swag with which they play is icing on the cake, but it's the goals that attract the attention.

Lots of caf posters prefer their favourite players playing rather than making the team better. Zlatan doesnt play pretty football (even though him and Mata were responsible for a large part of the pretty football we played) so his achievements will be belittled.

They think that the team is built for him when he plays but ignore that his quality forces us to play around him...he is one of our best players.

el3mel

Lots of caf posters prefer their favourite players playing rather than making the team better. Zlatan doesnt play pretty football (even though him and Mata were responsible for a large part of the pretty football we played) so his achievements will be belittled.

They think that the team is built for him when he plays but ignore that his quality forces us to play around him...he is one of our best players.
It's useless to discuss Zlatan's benefits for the team anymore as some posters just see the chances he missed or him being not a dribbler and doesn't even try to look at anything in the game.

It's undeniable fact that Zlatan was a key part in our attacking plan and us playing good football and creating chances. The one denying this till now is either in denial or hates the player. No other options.

Devil81

I don't mean to be harsh on Zlatan but I doubt he'd sign if we hadn't made the Champions League.

Now his agent is after a new contract given the injury that could take a year to get fully back from. I would give him a pay once you play contract, the club will rehab the injury and support him until he returns to action.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
What?

I'd say it is points that count and winning matches.

We haven't done worse on that front since his injurry hence why I'am saying we haven't missed him that much. If Zlatan didn't get injurred our season would have finished in the same fashion.

And yes Rashford has only scored 5 league goals but he also played alot less minutes than Zlatan and most of those minutes were as a winger instead of as a striker which clearly isn't his game and has hindered his scoring.

I'am not going to deny Zlatan has been extremely important for the team this season but in his absence we didn't implode. if He doesn't sign a contract extension than I completley agree he needs to be replaced as Rashford can't overtake that role yet on his own. I also don't think it is a good idea to give him a contract extension for 1 year when he is going to be out injurred for half of the duration.

Ubermensch

Sign him up on a conditional contract and get lacazette in. Lacazette has the same style of facilitating plays from deep and breaking defensive lines so our attacking patterns would remain the same.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I don't mean to be harsh on Zlatan but I doubt he'd sign if we hadn't made the Champions League.

Now his agent is after a new contract given the injury that could take a year to get fully back from. I would give him a pay once you play contract, the club will rehab the injury and support him until he returns to action.
Didn't stop him signing last year did it.

Edit. Also why has his injury thread turned into a transfer thread.

Zii

Apparently it's been confirmed he won't get a contract. We need winners at this club, we need him.

Jaxdan

Apparently it's been confirmed he won't get a contract. We need winners at this club, we need him.
I saw one post on twitter claiming Express said he wasn't getting offered a contract. No idea how they come up with that info at almost midnight Friday. I think I'll wait for slightly stronger sources, like the club itself. So much shite on the net and twitter now it's ridiculous.

Cantona_Forever

Get him signed ASAP
:lol:

This is the first time I actually disagree with you. Rejecting him and selling Rooney would be the best start of our summer. Unpopular opinion here I'm sure but we have to move on to the future, not staying in the past.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol:

This is the first time I actually disagree with you. Rejecting him and selling Rooney would be the best start of our summer. Unpopular opinion here I'm sure but we have to move on to the future, not staying in the past.
I would have far more confidence if we signed him for another year assuming he recovers properly. We'd still obviously need another striker and a number 10 even if he does sign. As for Rooney, getting rid will mean another 290k/wk off the books in addition to the 410k/wk we removed with Memphis and Schmidfield, so we have a ridiculous sum of cash to play with.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I would have far more confidence if we signed him for another year assuming he recovers properly. We'd still obviously need another striker and a number 10 even if he does sign. As for Rooney, getting rid will mean another 290k/wk off the books in addition to the 410k/wk we removed with Memphis and Schmidfield, so we have a ridiculous sum of cash to play with.
Zlatan is on over 400k. Our wage bill will have increased.

arthurka

He is already on his feet kicking a ball after less than 2 months, I could do that after 5 months.. He is way ahead of schedule so I wouldn't bet against it.

Beaucoup

Talksport mentioning reports from a reputable source, that we won't be offering Zlatan a second year.

Jaxdan

Talksport mentioning reports from a reputable source, that we won't be offering Zlatan a second year.
The Express "reported" this very late last night quoting "sources close to United say....". The United Stand guy on Twitter jumped on it. I have seen no other reports collaborating this at all. Not yet anyway.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I still think it's likely that we'll provide a significant chunk of his rehabilitation as he recovers and then probably offer him a short-term contract when he's good to play. A bit like we did with Valdes.

I just don't see any of the elite teams offering him a contract given his age and injury. Perhaps a team in the MLS might bite but I'm not sure given how he'd essentially be sitting on massive money while chilling in the physio room.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
He didn't want to sign when CL wasn't guaranteed, he took the risk and at 36 (when he finally gets back) there is no guaranteeing he will be able to even be an impact player. Offer him a contract based on appearances. Nothing more.
Screw appearances... goals and assists

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In a summer where we're under massive pressure to bring the right players in, I can't imagine this deal is top of the pile.

Does anyone think someone is going to come in and offer higher wages to a guy who at best will miss the first 2-3 months of next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.