Zlatan's Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Manos

This decision only makes sense IF we have somebody lined up right now, who is 100% arriving and not just somebody(a top quality striker). Why do I have the feeling however we don't ?

PeteManic

Everyone saying "no" in this thread but if he landed at Chelsea everyone would be shitting themselves.

AndyJ1985

Such a shame we didn't sign him years ago. He could have become a United legend with his talent, leadership, and charisma.

Eddy_JukeZ

Shame.

But I'm glad he got to play for us 1 season. And he did prove a lot of people wrong for me.

MadMike

Everyone saying "no" in this thread but if he landed at Chelsea everyone would be shitting themselves.
Why would we be shitting ourselves? Lukaku and Costa both had better seasons than Ibra and for Chelsea to sign the 35yo with the double ACL to replace Costa instead of Lukaku would be a step in the wrong direction for them. It might sting a little if he signed for them, because we loved him here, but otherwise I absolutely wouldn't be terrified at all. Why would anyone?

As for Ibra, he might have faded a bit towards the end (before the injury), but he had a very good season proving many people wrong. I will fondly remember his days in a Man Utd shirt, but it's time to look forward.

DarkXaero

I hope that this just means that we aren't looking to re-sign him right now. I would like us to re-sign him in January when he has recovered from his injury. It isn't even about sentimentality, we need quality players in the squad.

criticalanalysis

It would be weird and a step down for him to move to any other club in the league/abroad.

I think it'll be a gentlemen agreement where, if he comes back the same, he would sign with us again..

strangeways

There was a reason why we only offered him a one year deal. Thanks for selling shirts man now hobble off.

cjg-888

Would like to think there is an agreement that we will help see him through is rehabilitation/recovery, then see how things are for him and us, rather than just cut ties.

Jaybomb

Release him and sign him to a 6 month contract in January.

If we're still in the Champions League, that could be a vital piece of business.

SirMattBugsby

I hope that this just means that we aren't looking to re-sign him right now. I would like us to re-sign him in January when he has recovered from his injury. It isn't even about sentimentality, we need quality players in the squad.
It would be weird and a step down for him to move to any other club in the league/abroad.

I think it'll be a gentlemen agreement where, if he comes back the same, he would sign with us again..
Would like to think there is an agreement that we will help see him through is rehabilitation/recovery, then see how things are for him and us, rather than just cut ties.
Release him and sign him to a 6 month contract in January.

If we're still in the Champions League, that could be a vital piece of business.
We would have extended his contract if we wanted him here in January. Ditching a player while he's injured and then presuming he'll come back is no "gentlemen's agreement." Frankly it would have been in very poor taste.

Not everything is about money.

AndyJ1985

We're obviously not going to sign him again once he's recovered from injury. We'll have a new striker soon. He was a 1 season stop gap, now it's time to move on.

CG1010

There was a reason why we only offered him a one year deal. Thanks for selling shirts man now hobble off.
Yes, the 28 goals were just incidental. Main thing was selling shirts and yes, now he should hobble off.:houllier:

28 goals, 3 trophies and "now hobble off"... what a lovely bunch of fans we have. :rolleyes:

Great signing all round, sure his signing tempted Pogba info joining, helped us add leadership, winning mentality and amazing charisma. Shame it looks to have ended the way it did, but with no guarantee of him returning until 2018 it's almost impossible to offer and deal unless the man himself agree to train out 2017 almost for free.

strangeways

He was crap. In a season where we couldn't buy a goal our strikers should not be glorified. Especially not with his wages.

Jaybomb

We would have extended his contract if we wanted him here in January. Ditching a player while he's injured and then presuming he'll come back is no "gentlemen's agreement." Frankly it would have been in very poor taste.

Not everything is about money.
I love Zlatan but he was holding out to see if we would get Champions League football. That's why he didn't sign the contract when it was offered during the season.

Now the cards are in our hands and let's face it, he's not gonna get a better offer than us. Not after what happened. He should take a pay per play deal and try win contribute to a CL/PL double. The two medals that escape his collection. Let's see.

iportman

28 goals, 3 trophies and "now hobble off"... what a lovely bunch of fans we have. :rolleyes:

Great signing all round, sure his signing tempted Pogba info joining, helped us add leadership, winning mentality and amazing charisma. Shame it looks to have ended the way it did, but with no guarantee of him returning until 2018 it's almost impossible to offer and deal unless the man himself agree to train out 2017 almost for free.
Even with only one leg he still offers much more than Rooney who apparently is going to milk us for the last year his contract , classless

He was crap. In a season where we couldn't buy a goal our strikers should not be glorified. Especially not with his wages.
Let's be honest here, your posts are crap.

41 starts, 28 goals & 8 assists = "couldn't buy a goal". Such poor posts I haven't seen in a long while.

If Zlatan's replacement has similar stats I'll be absolutely delighted with him, although we'll still have problems if the output of our wide forwards is as poor as this season.

Jaybomb

That's got to be a WUM. 28 goals including single handedly winning us the EFL Cup. How was he "crap"? We would be lucky if the replacement scores 28 goals.

Dobbs

Lukaku was somehow more obtainable last summer with an extra year on the contract? Who else was available last summer to get us the goals he did?
I don't think he was more obtainable last summer but waiting a year has only pushed his price up. Every good season he has only increases value.

We're Man Utd. We shouldn't be dealing in stop gaps, particularly in the centre forward position. It was the wrong choice last summer and here we are a year later having to sign a replacement. No other huge club does this.

In fact stop gap is the wrong term as Rashford and Martial aren't ready. We just delayed the inevitable, the signing of a new striker.

Last edited:
We're Man Utd. We shouldn't be dealing in stop gaps, particularly in the centre forward position. It was the wrong choice last summer and here we are a year later having to sign a replacement. No other huge club does this.
You've continued to get this wrong all season @Dobbs, 2 trophies and back in the CL says this was the right thing to do, especially when you consider how influential signing Zlatan was in securing Pogba and boosting our brand/image. He was also zero risk, was guaranteed to bring goals and assists at a stage in which we had no-one else due to LVG gutting the CF position.

Now that we're back in the CL and on the up, you're finally right, no stop gap now, time to get in a forward to lead the line for the next few years.

Dobbs

You've continued to get this wrong all season @Dobbs, 2 trophies and back in the CL says this was the right thing to do, especially when you consider how influential signing Zlatan was in securing Pogba and boosting our brand/image. He was also zero risk, was guaranteed to bring goals and assists at a stage in which we had no-one else due to LVG gutting the CF position.

Now that we're back in the CL and on the up, you're finally right, no stop gap now, time to get in a forward to lead the line for the next few years.
Your love for the man will forever blind you to the obvious.

You're using winning the Europa League to justify a one season signing. Even though the player himself didn't feature in the semi or the final. I'm sure the long term signing we should have made a year ago would have helped us out. It was a piss poor tournament. I'm not convinced we actually had one really good game in it. Zlatan was nothing more than ok in it as well.

Most of your initial arguments for signing Zlatan haven't panned out. Looks like he isn't staying for two years, he hasn't been the perfect stop gap for Rashford and Martial and we bombed in the league. So I'm guessing this latest suggestion he was crucial in getting Pogba is to compensate for that. Either way it's total guesswork on your behalf.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He is out injured till January atleast. How on earth can we justify giving him a contract now considering the nature of injury and the fact that he's 36 years old, so we don't know if he'll remain the same after injury or not?

kotha

Reading that letter that Rio wrote,about how the mentality in our dressing room was during those years.. I think Zlatan will be very influential for us in that regard.. The drive and determination he showed to maintain his standards..

I think it was kinda expected that we wouldn't renew his contract,especially with the wages he is on.. He too took a risk by not signing the extension when he was offered it in Jan.. Overall though i think his signing was brilliant for us, if someone like Rashford can learn some of the discipline he has then it would pay us dividends for the future too..

GBBQ

Reading that letter that Rio wrote,about how the mentality in our dressing room was during those years.. I think Zlatan will be very influential for us in that regard.. The drive and determination he showed to maintain his standards..

I think it was kinda expected that we wouldn't renew his contract,especially with the wages he is on.. He too took a risk by not signing the extension when he was offered it in Jan.. Overall though i think his signing was brilliant for us, if someone like Rashford can learn some of the discipline he has then it would pay us dividends for the future too..
Its great that he played for us and great that he did so well in the Premier league. Just a pity he didn't join us sooner. had Mourinho taken over directly from SAF we might have had a few years of him. Who knows!

CG1010

I don't think he was more obtainable last summer but waiting a year has only pushed his price up. Every good season he has only increases value.

In fact stop gap is the wrong term as Rashford and Martial aren't ready. We just delayed the inevitable, the signing of a new striker.
If he hadn't got injured, we could have kept him for this season IMO. We already have to replace Rooney this season, and now the task has become really difficult.

Dobbs

If he hadn't got injured, we could have kept him for this season IMO. We already have to replace Rooney this season, and now the task has become really difficult.
Well that situation hardly came out for nowhere. We knew this could well be the case when we chose to go into the season with those two(Ibra & Rooney).

Of course if we'd just signed any of the strikers we're currently linked with last summer it would all have been avoided. That striker would also nw have a season under his belt, be familiar with the players etc.

CG1010

Well that situation hardly came out for nowhere. We knew this could well be the case when we chose to go into the season with those two(Ibra & Rooney).

Of course if we'd just signed any of the strikers we're currently linked with last summer it would all have been avoided. That striker would also nw have a season under his belt, be familiar with the players etc.
Again, if Ibra didn't get injured, we would have just had to replace Rooney this season and Ibra next season. While Ibra is old, he is still much fitter and demonstrated that he can play a number of games at a stretch.

And I am very sure Jose would have looked at all the strikers available last season and concluded Ibra was the best option available. Morata for example wouldn't have been amenable to sign with us last season with us having no CL and he potentially playing first choice for Real Madrid.

Mr.Plow

He stalled on the contract and indicated in interviews that he had proved his point and had no more business here.

He's changed his mind following the injury but we really don't owe him anything. It's not logical for us to pay him £20 million while he spends most of the season recovering. It would be different if he was here for the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.