£100m: Jan/summer squad additions.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
But Rodwell has proven himself in the Premier League and showed us what he is capable of and hence he is definitely worthy of pulling on a United shirt. Rodwell is a year younger and has done more and Rodwell is more versatile.
Hendersons played a lot more for Sunderland in the PL than Rodwell for Everton im sure, hes certainly started a lot more games and is central to Sunderland's form this season.

Rodwells hardly proven himself at any level in fairness, neither of them have really they're kids making their way in the sport.

Ole'sbodyguard

Hendersons played a lot more for Sunderland in the PL than Rodwell for Everton im sure, hes certainly started a lot more games and is central to Sunderland's form this season.

Rodwells hardly proven himself at any level in fairness, neither of them have really they're kids making their way in the sport.
They pretty close going off their Wiki stats. Rodwell has played more games going off what is there. Neither have 50 appearances for their club sides yet but Wiki tends to only include PL games. They have Rodwell at 47 and Henderson at 43.

Henderson's only in his second season as a regular for Sunderland and they have both been used in different positions. Henderson's now being played centrally after starting on the right which is where he appeared to play for England in the under 21 games I have watched. Sunderland fans have him down as a Gerrard type player.

Rodwell looks a better player IMO and much more the type of player we need at the moment than Henderson. I reckon Rodwell would start games for United now if we had him on the books and would develop pretty quickly. Henderson's better off having a couple of years with Sunderland to continue his development. He's also a bit of the flavour of the month because of his good recent form and being cited as a future England international by Capello. He may well be capped in the next international friendly.

phelans shorts

They pretty close going off their Wiki stats. Rodwell has played more games going off what is there. Neither have 50 appearances for their club sides yet but Wiki tends to only include PL games. They have Rodwell at 47 and Henderson at 43.

Henderson's only in his second season as a regular for Sunderland and they have both been used in different positions. Henderson's now being played centrally after starting on the right which is where he appeared to play for England in the under 21 games I have watched. Sunderland fans have him down as a Gerrard type player.

Rodwell looks a better player IMO and much more the type of player we need at the moment than Henderson. I reckon Rodwell would start games for United now if we had him on the books and would develop pretty quickly. Henderson's better off having a couple of years with Sunderland to continue his development. He's also a bit of the flavour of the month because of his good recent form and being cited as a future England international by Capello. He may well be capped in the next international friendly.
He can't get into Everton's team FFS!

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
What is it with you and Javier Pastore? I know he is very talented and all but I think you kinda overrate him here. I mean a year ago, no one had any idea about this lad and as soon he gets selected to represent Argentina at the WC, everyone goes off.
The question is, if not Pastore then who? Pastore seems really talented, creative, great passing, hardworking... he can become great and develop into a top class midfielder, he has also been on fire this season, he has been really great in Italy.

Best options like Iniesta and Sneijder could be great, but neither of them will happen... And 27 years old, coming from Italy or Spain is hard, because England is faster, there are less room... Personally I would not want someone like that. I want players whom still are developing, because that is the best way to adapt is to evolve. Ferguson dont seem to like signing these players neither, he seems to look for players that can develop into top players, or the best players from smaller clubs. Preferably from the Premier League, but are there anyone talented enough right now?

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi

Thanks for the stats, interesting reading, i must say im surprised by them but i suppose because Hendersons been playing week in week out for a while now whilst Rodwell hasn't it gives the illusion ones played more, i don't think Rodwells really ever been a regular at Everton so far though where as Henderson seems a key figure at Sunderland.

Not saying i rate Henderson the superior player, to me they are about equal, neither would walk into and drastically improve our current midfield in my view, in fact its debatable if either would get in the first team as it is, great talents but thats about it at the moment.

beardsleybob

Bale is the only player I identify that would fill a problem area easily. Left footed wingers are hard to come by. He would have no problem settling into the team either. Question is whether he would transfer and how much do we throw at Spurs?

phelans shorts

Thanks for the stats, interesting reading, i must say im surprised by them but i suppose because Hendersons been playing week in week out for a while now whilst Rodwell hasn't it gives the illusion ones played more, i don't think Rodwells really ever been a regular at Everton so far though where as Henderson seems a key figure at Sunderland.

Not saying i rate Henderson the superior player, to me they are about equal, neither would walk into and drastically improve our current midfield in my view, in fact ids debatable if either would get in the first team as it is, great talents but thats about it at the moment.
Well Rodwell has been around for longer and plays off the bench often, Henderson is more recent and starts.

phelans shorts

Who would you prefer of the two? if given the choice?
I haven't really paid much attention to either, from what I have seen I would say Henderson, he basically takes on the majority of the creativity for Sunderland and Bruce won't overcharge us.

Well he can't at the moment, no, as he's out injured for three months with ligament damage.

If he was fit, he would be getting plenty of games for them this year.
In front of Fellaini, Arteta, Neville, Pienaar and Cahill? I highly doubt it.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The question is, if not Pastore then who? Pastore seems really talented, creative, great passing, hardworking... he can become great and develop into a top class midfielder, he has also been on fire this season, he has been really great in Italy.

Best options like Iniesta and Sneijder could be great, but neither of them will happen... And 27 years old, coming from Italy or Spain is hard, because England is faster, there are less room... Personally I would not want someone like that. I want players whom still are developing, because that is the best way to adapt is to evolve. Ferguson dont seem to like signing these players neither, he seems to look for players that can develop into top players, or the best players from smaller clubs. Preferably from the Premier League, but are there anyone talented enough right now?
What makes you think a young player will definitely adapt to the English game? Kleberson and Djemba Djemba were pretty young when they came to United and they turned out to be the two worst signings in this decade. So its not a guarantee that a younger player will work better.

VDV seems to have adjusted fine. He along with Bale are Spurs' best players this season. So why do you think Sneijder is going to have a problem? Just because Veron did not work, does not mean everyone else who is 26-27 when they arrive will not be good for us.

Ole'sbodyguard

I haven't really paid much attention to either, from what I have seen I would say Henderson, he basically takes on the majority of the creativity for Sunderland and Bruce won't overcharge us.

In front of Fellaini, Arteta, Neville, Pienaar and Cahill? I highly doubt it.
He would not have needed to be in front of these players as some of them play different positions to him(such as Cahill and Arteta) and most of them have been injured for some period of this season. Cahill has been operating as a striker for Everton for alot of this season and normally plays as the attacking midfield support to the lone frontman. Piennar and Arteta can also play this role but are versatile enough to play in one of the wide positions. It's abit like comparing Rodwell getting games for United and citing the likes of Giggs, Anderson, and Park as getting in his way because they are versatile enough to play more than one position.

The only players who play in similar positions to him are Fellani and P Nev and Phil Neville has been used by Moyes as a versatile utility player for ages and plays as a full back fairly often as well. Rodwell much more this type of player and he would play have played plenty of games for Everton this season if was not for his early season injury (a) due to his talent and (b) due to their injury situation. He's been out since the start of September.

He also played 36 games in all competitions last season when he was aged 18 turning 19 in March so the idea that he would struggle to get games regularly now behind those players is nonsense unless he was hugely off form.

Devil may care

Allforone pretty much nailed it in his big post, My guess is between 4 and 6 players will come in over the next 2 windows. Two of them will be keepers as VDS is close to retiring and Kusazk wont stay to be #2.

I see 1 top class midfielder coming in and perhaps 2 young English talents like Henderson and Rodwell, depending on what happens with Carrick, Gibson and Hargo.

The only other possibility would be a versatile wide man IMO.

What is it with you and Javier Pastore? I know he is very talented and all but I think you kinda overrate him here. I mean a year ago, no one had any idea about this lad and as soon he gets selected to represent Argentina at the WC, everyone goes off.
I saw him play for Huracan before he even signed for Palermo. He's an outstanding talent with a mercurial quality, but he'll never be a United player.

Anduin

My 'dream' targets: Bale (£30m), Sneijder (£30m) and one of Neuer/Adler/De Gea (£20m)... can't say that's realistic though.
Neuer might be the obvious VdS replacement, young, German national keeper, Schalke are struggling, he already said he might leave if they fail to qualify for Europe this season - let's go for him.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Rooney's massive wage hike has damaged the very thing that he claimed to be complaining about in the first place - namely your club's seeming inability to compete financially for the best players to join.

Let’s say his wages have been increased by £100k per week (from, say, £90k per week to £190k per week) – some reports say even more than this, but we’ll stick with 100k for the sake of simple arithmetic. Over the 5 years of his new contract that makes an extra £26 million that the club will be shelling out to keep Rooney in the even more extravagant lifestyle that he’s not yet accustomed to.

But this 26m is just the tip of the iceberg, because we’ve yet to add in all the knock-on wage demands that will now be triggered right across United’s squad. Rooney doubles his wages – so is any player in that squad going to be happy with anything less than at least a 50% increase? I’ll leave you to do maths as to how much extra money, over 5 years, is now likely to drain out of the club on player wages.

100m to spend in net terms on new players this January and onwards? Not a chance in hell - Man. United is up to its eyeballs in debt and things just got a whole lot worse in terms of likely wage outgoings in the near future.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Rooney's massive wage hike has damaged the very thing that he claimed to be complaining about in the first place - namely your club's seeming inability to compete financially for the best players to join.

Let’s say his wages have been increased by £100k per week (from, say, £90k per week to £190k per week) – some reports say even more than this, but we’ll stick with 100k for the sake of simple arithmetic. Over the 5 years of his new contract that makes an extra £26 million that the club will be shelling out to keep Rooney in the even more extravagant lifestyle that he’s not yet accustomed to.

But this 26m is just the tip of the iceberg, because we’ve yet to add in all the knock-on wage demands that will now be triggered right across United’s squad. Rooney doubles his wages – so is any player in that squad going to be happy with anything less than at least a 50% increase? I’ll leave you to do maths as to how much extra money, over 5 years, is now likely to drain out of the club on player wages.

100m to spend in net terms on new players this January and onwards? Not a chance in hell - Man. United is up to its eyeballs in debt and things just got a whole lot worse in terms of likely wage outgoings in the near future.
We don't even know if the Scouse cnut will stay here for next season... I understand the estimation but we know nothing about debt, about Rooney's wages so lets stick to the thread instead of assuming things that we don't know for real.

RedRover

I don't know how much United intend to spend on whover they may or may not be interested in but you do ignore something fairly obvious.

Clearly the club is saddled with a lot of debt, no doubt about it. The thing is though that the club generates such a high amount in revenue every year that (while its difficult to swallow how much goes in interest payments) it can afford it.

The Glazers may be a lot of things but they know their way around a profitable business. The fact that they have been able to saddle the club with such high debt is testament to that. We're not talking about a Liverpool situation where the owners don't get on and there is mismanagement on a seemingly epic scale.

It seems to me that the debt model relies heaviliy on the club being succesful and being able to turn a profit. Stop winning games then the revenue drops - so there's an argument that they can't afford not to spend if an where neccessary.

I take the point on wages but its not a City situation where every player in the squad is on top dollar. In the next 18 or so months Van Der Sar, Neville, Giggs, Scholes and Hargreaves will probably retire freeing up significant sums.

Of the remainder only Rio (who may not have long left) Rooney and Vidic are probably on over £100k a week so I cant see a problem. Current players can "demand" what they like - very few will get it and its not as if the likes of City will be breaking down teh door to sign half of United's squad.

Cina

I'd rather Defour over Rodwell or Henderson.

Though in dreamland I'd rather Scweinstiger over all 3 of them combined, seeing as we've been linked with him again for some reason. Never going to happen though.

I don't think we're going to go on the spending spree that some folk hope we will though.

No strikers or defenders will be bought, a keeper probably will and a CM surely will, other than that, nothing other than more promising Obertans and Bebes and such.

towcester_red

Not that we have £100m to spend, but if this was Football manager edit mode and we did id target

In:
Neuer
Bale
Affellay
Sniejder

Out:
Carrick
Hargreaves
Gibson
PIG

Thats obviously a complete fantasy wolrd. Realistically we have to get a keeper and a central midfielder.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
My prefered targets would be

Bale, Adam Johnson, Schweinsteiger, De Gea and Rodwell.

Not all of them of course.

On the way out (not necessarily this jan, but next summer) could be

Giggs, Scholes, Neville, VDS (all retired). Hargreaves and/or Anderson (depending on how the season pans out for them both). I wouldnt put it past Fergie to flog off Rooney either, tbf.

Bale and Schweinsteiger would be bloody brilliant additions though, and if we can get a suitable keeper as well we will be cruising.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
I refuse to believe that such a clause exists in his contract, the squad doesn't need 100mil of acquisitions to get us back to where we were in the 07/08 season for one thing. We just need a goalkeeper and a central midfielder, Lloris and De Rossi would be my preference and I think we could get them both for less than 50mil.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I refuse to believe that such a clause exists in his contract, the squad doesn't need 100mil of acquisitions to get us back to where we were in the 07/08 season for one thing. We just need a goalkeeper and a central midfielder, Lloris and De Rossi would be my preference and I think we could get them both for less than 50mil.
We need a left winger. Giggs is getting older, Bebe and Obertan are light years away from first team and Nani is best utilized on the right flank. On the other hand I agree that we don't need to spend 100m. Defour/Rodwell, Bale/Sanchez/Afellay and a decent keeper would be enough.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
We need a left winger. Giggs is getting older, Bebe and Obertan are light years away from first team and Nani is best utilized on the right flank. On the other hand I agree that we don't need to spend 100m. Defour/Rodwell, Bale/Sanchez/Afellay and a decent keeper would be enough.
When Valencia returns Nani will go back to the left flank (where he has quite a decent understanding with Patrice). Those two will be our first choice wingers for a good few years yet and by the time they are in their late twenties we should have a few of our current prospects reaching maturity.

wr8_utd

:'(

wr8_utd

In terms of wages when Neville, VDS, Giggs and Scholes retire that will free up a significant amount of our wage budget.
Doubt their on too high wages anyway? Their replacements will probably earn more.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Rather see Cleverley given a pop before we even think about bringing in other midfielders

Neville and VDS will be on or around 100k a week each I'd assume

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
What makes you think a young player will definitely adapt to the English game? Kleberson and Djemba Djemba were pretty young when they came to United and they turned out to be the two worst signings in this decade. So its not a guarantee that a younger player will work better.

VDV seems to have adjusted fine. He along with Bale are Spurs' best players this season. So why do you think Sneijder is going to have a problem? Just because Veron did not work, does not mean everyone else who is 26-27 when they arrive will not be good for us.
Real Madrid usually do these kinds of signings. And despite spending tons of money, they are really not that successful. The likes of Zidane and Beckham only contributed to a league gold once each, despite spending five and four years in the Galacticos. Ferguson has not done this kind of signings - the reason for that is; it is not the way to go. Being a great playmaker in Spain and Italy is one thing, in the Premier League there are more tempo and less room, and the difference between 1st and 10th at the table are far bigger in Italy and Spain than in England.

Players over 25 should be signed domesticly, and Ferguson has always preferred the local option when available... Right now it seems that he might have to go abroad and Sneijder is not the solution, because spending £40m on a player and see him flop is very unhealthy for any football club... If Ferguson wanted Snejder he would have signed him one and a half years ago for only €15m.

Sign players on the way to their peak, not someone that clearly is over it. That is not the way to go, and it is really scary to sign a player. I really wanted Sneijder a couple of years ago, but my opinion is that its to late to sign him now. We need a man for the future. Who knows? Maybe Giggs and Scholes is takes two more seasons? Hleb said in a article regarding Michael Ballack that he would never go to England at his age because of the tempo differences, if we sign Sneijder we need him to make a instant impact, and I am not sure if he can do that. Malouda came when he was 27, he needed two years to adapt to the differences of the pace in the game.

That is the problem with comparing van der Vaart and Sneijder is that van der Vaart was a £8m signing with basically no pressure to deliver. Sneijder can easily be five times as expensive... A player flopping at such a price will be very destructive for the team.

Pastore would probably be a better signing than Sneijder. And, I would also like to say, that despite seeing him being linked to ridiculous fees like €40m, I really don't think he will be as expensive. I bet we could get Pastore for €20m in the summer. Pastore would be a lot cheaper than Sneijder, and not to mention far lesser wages.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Sneijder
De Gea or Neuer
Bale

That's under 100m

-----------------------De Gea/Neuer-------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
----Rafael---------Vidic--------Ferdinand--------Evra---
Valencia/Nani----Fletcher----------------------Bale/Nani
-------------------------------Sneijder----------------
------------------------------------------------------
--------------Hernandez---------Berbatov--------------

Dyslexic Untied

I still think Jack Rodwell has shown too little (obviously very young though) to warrant a place in our starting line up. So, while he might be a good squad player for us, I think we should aim for someone who can go right in and improve the team. We have enough numbers in midfield.

Sneijder is my big wish for our midfield. Other than him, and maybe Modric, I don't see any real realistic targets. Bastian Swineclimber at Bayern would be great, but that will never happen.

wr8_utd

Rather see Cleverley given a pop before we even think about bringing in other midfielders

Neville and VDS will be on or around 100k a week each I'd assume
I'd be very surprised if that was the case. Senior members and all but hard to imagine them earning as much or than Rooney was earning because I remember reading many times Rooney was our 2nd highest earner at 90.

And I think we do need some midfielders. Cleverley might do a good job but recent games are showing our midfield is a bit weak. Hopefully Ando and Carrick can play their way into some form though

devilish

When Valencia returns Nani will go back to the left flank (where he has quite a decent understanding with Patrice). Those two will be our first choice wingers for a good few years yet and by the time they are in their late twenties we should have a few of our current prospects reaching maturity.
Valencia will be out till February and while he is good, he isn't thaaat good not to have some decent competition to give him a run for his money. Nani is much more effective on the right then on the left.

wr8_utd

Valencia will be out till February and while he is good, he isn't thaaat good not to have some decent competition to give him a run for his money. Nani is much more effective on the right then on the left.
This. The only positive if you can call it so, has been that Nani's getting to play solely on the right where he's brilliant. He's not as useful on the left even though he does a good job there.

devilish

This. The only positive if you can call it so, has been that Nani's getting to play solely on the right where he's brilliant. He's not as useful on the left even though he does a good job there.
Nani/Valencia on the right, A natural left winger/Cleverley on the left and our flanks will be sorted for the next decade. If Giggs remains for another year then Bebe and Obertan should be loaned. Some people tend to forget how important it is for United to have some sheer creativity on the flanks. We were never the sort of club who relied in central midfield for our main inspiration.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Bale = 25m
Rodwell = 25m
Sneijder = 30m

That leaves 20 million left over. Then sell Hargreaves and Carrick for 20m and spend the rest on Pato.

-----------------------VDS-------------------
----Rafael---------Vidic--------Ferdinand--------Evra---
Nani--------------Rodwell ----------------------Bale
--------------------------Sneijder----------------
------------------------------------------------------
--------------Pato---------------Rooney--------------

You are all fecking spastics