Álvaro Morata | Chelsea player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
You cant talk about him without taking the fee into account, both are relevant. For example an average player for free is a decent signing, the same player for 50m will be a disaster.

I dont get this, so a player who makes the team play better did not improve the style over a poacher type striker and this isnt seen as a negative? If Morata all round game was as good as some of you are saying, then he should be playing above benzema since madrid dont really need goal scorer......
Benzema is a 9 that creates like a 10 and loves to spend time drifting to the flanks. No amount of all round game in Morata's style could make him a superior partner to a CR7. A Benzema would even make a better CR7 than a peak Zlatan due to always driffting wide to let Bale and CR7 attack the center. Despite being a far worse striker.

Last edited:

MJJ

Benzema is a 9 that creates like a 10 and loves to spend time drifting to the flanks. No amount of all round game in Morata's style could make him a superior partner to a CR7. A Benzema would even make a better CR7 than a peak Zlatan. Despite being a far worse striker.
He has five assists all season, not much of a ten I would say (morata has 4 in in 20 less starts).

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Oh so Morata was basically like a real estate investment. Flipping houses etc. Gotcha.
In fairness, he was used as a bargaining chip for Pogba. Iirc it was something along the lines of cash + not taking up the 25M option on Morata (this being valued much higher in the deal).

When Juve didn't play ball they exercised the option (and pimped him around Europe to raise funds, valuing him at 70M and believing C9nte would pay it) which only lead to Juve needing a striker and, given Higuaín's valuation, absolutely having to sell Pogba to raise the funds... only that they sold him to us :lol:

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Good points. Morata basically strikes me as a younger version of Ibra in terms of finishing, with better movement, comparable in the air, very good in the assist department and so on. If you factor in a good winger and a top DM, we will be in business and won't be as reliant on Martial and Rashford, which will make both of them better since they won't have to deal with the pressure.
This is spot on

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It seems to me that Morata depends entirely on Mbappe. If Real signs Mbappe, Morata will be sold and they won't have that much leverage in negotiating the fee. If not, Morata will stay. He doesn't want to leave unless forced out the door and Real won't be able to sign anyone better for the backup CF position so they'll gladly keep him.
And the problem is Real could easily spend all Summer at it and suspend it to next Summer after their fax machine breaks. We can't afford to feck about all Summer with our need for a striker.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
When did I say I don't know his qualities? I merely asked what his outstanding ones are.

Yeah he's good at football, but Manchester United need great players.
Played for Juve and Madrid, wanted by United, comes with an enormous price tag but doesn't have any outstanding qualities. Makes perfect sense pal.

MichaelRed

Personally would like to avoid Morata. He scored something like 9 in 42 for Juventus in his final season there. Sure he scored a few for RM vs La Liga relegation fodder this season but that doesn't excite me. RM paid 30m euros for him last season and now want 80m from us? They're seeking to make a profit for a nothing player and we're playing into their hands.

prtk0811

We're talking about Madrid here. They are top of the food chain and don't need the money. They are clearly not a selling club by any rational measure.
By the way we are top of the food chain in terms of money.

Hans Moleman

Sure he scored a few for RM vs La Liga relegation fodder this season but that doesn't excite me.
No he didn't, he frequently scores against the better teams in the league. These silly Morata myths people are cooking up are weird

Devil may care

We need a striker, of the ones available I think he's the best option, he has a good all round game, is technically decent, pretty quick and mobile and isn't quite 25 yet so his best years should be in front of him, plus he's already proven that he can get it done in big games, hopefully we pull this one off.

pacifictheme

Man do i want this guy as our number 9 next season. The people who don't want him seem very odd to me.

He'll come a lot cheaper than Belotti, Aubameyang is going elsewhere, there's no way Leipzig will sell Werner, so it's hard to say no really. What else are we going to do. I've no doubt he's leaving Real Madrid, he just wasn't really part of their big success.
I'm a little underwhelmed yet it's a no brainer.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm not sure about the quality of his hold up play. It's yet to be seen for me that Mourinho really ditches that particular style of play. I'm also left a bit wondering how ruthless he really is in front of the goal: In Italy he didn't manage much (IMO) and Real has great accomodations already in place.

But by the looks of it there doesn't seem to be the perfect player available atm, i'd take Morata or another one in. That's how desperate we currently are, not so good a situation of.

CM

Ok let's just put this out there

Chelsea - Costa, Hazard (Lukaku?)
Spurs - Kane, Alli
City - Aguero, Jesus
Arsenal - Sanchez, Giroud
Liverpool - Coutinho, Mane, Firmino
United - Morata (Rashford, Martial)

Do we honestly think that if we bring in Morata that our forward line is going to compete with Chelsea, Spurs and City and surpass them?
We'd need to bring in a goalscoring wideman alongside him but Morata would be a very good start.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
We'd need to bring in a goalscoring wideman alongside him but Morata would be a very good start.
Douglas costa would be a good addition. I think we need more than just morata to kill our goal scoring problem, if he is all we have then we will not score too many.

kirk buttercup

Don't get the negativity towards him . He plays for Real Madrid! The Real Madrid that has won back to back Champions leagues, are La Liga champions not some bottom of the league team ,and He is being kept out of the team by Ronaldo ( arguably GOAT) and Benzema who is the perfect match for Ronaldo.He also has worked with Jose , So like Zlatan will be on the same page as Jose very Quickly. If he comes here he would be a very a Good addition in my opinion. It's going to be a Tough season being in the champions league so we are going to need plenty of options.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I don`t think that he will ever replace Benzema 1:1.
The question is if or when Real will see a more General Transformation. What I read by some Real fans is that would like to see Morata, James, Ascensio, Isco etc. to take over which would probably lead to a bit different style with Morata as a more traditional 9 and James/Isco playing behind him.

However, given they played such a perfect season it would be strange if this Transformation will take place within the next 1 or 2 years. This might be too Long for Morata.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He improved Spain immensely last night when he came on. Worked really hard, fought hard to win free kicks and timed his runs well to beat his marker to crosses.

Brilliant header too.

CM

Anyone you can think of? (Not sanchez).
Sanchez was the one I was thinking of writing that post :D It's difficult to know exactly when Mourinho will likely want at least one grafter but even if we signed more of a tricky winger for the right and put Martial back on the left I'd be happy with that.

Classical Mechanic

We have to remember that he is 24 too, we would be expecting to see improvements for the next 2-3 years before he hits the peak of his powers. I think his career trajectory so far is encouraging.

BigCaine

A rare good read from sky. His goals per minute played was only bettered by Messi last season.
This is one of the reasons i don't trust stats, those stats are misleading, everyone on that list except morata is their team's go to guy. Everyone other than morata has played big games for their respective clubs, morata did not play against either atletico or barcelona and he failed to score against sevilla the only top 4 team he actually played against.

El-Manos

We will end up overpaying for him but I hope his many years of quality service will more than make up for it. Would only
Prefer auba to him, considering he's off
To PSG, let's make it happen.

pacifictheme

Sanchez was the one I was thinking of writing that post :D It's difficult to know exactly when Mourinho will likely want at least one grafter but even if we signed more of a tricky winger for the right and put Martial back on the left I'd be happy with that.
But what about miki and mata? I'd have either of them in the team over martial.

If we play with 3 cm thrn there are only two slots up top other than thr number 9.

MJJ

He has had an awful season by his standards.
Besides, to emphasise further why Benzema is a superior partner to a Morata for CR7, He created 38 chances this season to Morata's 17.
Benzema averages around 7-8 assists per season so no, last year wasnt an awful season stats wise. The disparity between the chance creation and assists probably points to the quality of assists created by benzema.

Classnordic

What will happen in 2-3 years time when he inevitably wants to leave to spain or a country with better weather?
He wants to stay at madrid as it is, he does not want to leave. Why would we want to acquire him?

Robertd0803

Ah just throw the money at Madrid and get it over with. Increasing our bid bit by bit piecemeal is only going to drag this out longer. Seems pretty nailed on that Auba/Lukaku are PSG/Chelsea bound respectively and Belotti will cost the same as what Morata will if Madrid get their way anyway.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
What will happen in 2-3 years time when he inevitably wants to leave to spain or a country with better weather?
He wants to stay at madrid as it is, he does not want to leave. Why would we want to acquire him?
All Spanish players want to leave? Because there are many in PL who have settled well.

In any case, we will make the money unless he flops.

AgentP

This is the worst argument for not wanting to sign a player. If Sanchez leaves this summer, will Arsenal regret ever signing him? Of course not. Same goes for Costa in Chelsea.

AgentP

100m pounds for both James and Morata is fair. But then Madrid will ask for 150m. They are just insufferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.