Álvaro Morata | Chelsea player

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdNani

This needs context after our other signings. Need another goalscorer and a defensive mid to free up the attack. We were what 30 goals behind the top teams. Replacing Ibra with someone who will score 10 goals less in a good season is baffling.But I trust Mourinho has a plan. Just can't see what it is yet.
What's the lottery numbers tonight?

MJJ

No you didn't, you used Moyes and Fellaini as an example!

And you still haven't given me a name of a better alternative.

And surprise surprise you ignored the comparables yet again.
Yes as an example that a manager coaching a player for three years doesnt make him the best choice, what is mourinho's mould of striker?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Both selling clubs that were selling their best players to a very very rich Man City. Other clubs were also interested in Sane and Jesus, but City got the deals closed for respectable figures. Now they have 2 quality young players keen to give their all.

We should let Madrid keep hold of their expensive assets like Di Maria, Morata and possibly James, instead of having to pay premium. Surely our extensive scouting network can identify other targets in the ilk of Jesus and Sane. The problem is we pay top money for players from Real, and deep down the players don't even want to leave Real, making it a risk.

The reported fee for Lukaku is £80m. I'm sorry but I'd rather have Lukaku for £80m than Morata for £64m.
As a United supporter I hope I'm proved wrong and Morata is top class in the PL - I'll happily eat my words.
You're still going to pay a premium buying from a club the size of Madrid. They can afford to allow contracts to run down or sideline class players, Shalke and Palmeiras cannot. So when they receive a good offer for a player they have to accept it. It seems Zidane would be quite happy to keep Morata, the only reason they're selling is because we are willing to pay top dollar.

Like who? Mourinho likes a very specific type of forward to lead his line (Costa, Drogba) and Morata fits that mould, there aren't many of those around at the moment, not players as well rounded as Morata anyway.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
:lol: what the feck are you waffling about?

If Jose wanted Auba then we would have bid. Chill out ffs
He is absolutley spot on

Manchester United has absolutley no negotiation skills in the market. If we want a player we always end up overpaying massively for him whilst when selling one of our players we never seem to get a good price for them.

Everybody also seems to know it and abuses it to skin us from top to bottom.

I like Morata, I really do, I think we need him but he isn't worth €73m let alone €90m

Also Perisic, I like him, but he isn't worth €55m

Not in a world where Man City can sign up Bernardo for €50m or Auba goes for €70m to PSG. United always overpays and on the outgoing front, it is the reverse. I can guarantee you that when DDG leaves, the fee will be laughable just like any other fee we ever got for ougoing players. For feck sake, we sold Real Madrid the best player in the world (Ronaldo) for about as much as we are going to pay them for Morata, a player they don't need and sits on their bench...

United is worthless in negotiating.

RyRy11

All this talk about whether he is good enough is what I expect from this website. People moaned about signing Zlatan for free so you cant please everyone...

lifted

He is absolutley spot on

Manchester United has absolutley no negotiation skills in the market. If we want a player we always end up overpaying massively for him whilst when selling one of our players we never seem to get a good price for them.

I like Morata, I really do, I think we need him but he isn't worth €73m let alone €90m

Not in a world where Man City can sign up Bernardo for €50m or Auba goes for €70m to PSG. United always overpays and on the outgoing front, it is the reverse. I can guarantee you that when DDG leaves, the fee will be laughable just like any other fee we ever got for ougoing players. For feck sake, we sold Real Madrid the best player in the world (Ronaldo) for about as much as we are going to pay them for Morata, a player they don't need and sits on their bench...

We're living in a world that knows United are wedged out of their arse so over inflated fees are an evil we will struggle to avoid.

Agree on our sales though. We've been robbed at times recently.

AndyJ1985

He is absolutley spot on

You haven't got a clue what you're talking about. You talk as if you're a veteran CEO with years of negotiating skills, when in fact you're just another armchair expert with experience of playing football manager.

Woodward has no control over the valuation owners put on their players. He is doing all he can to bring in the players the manager wants, and he's getting the best deal he can negotiate. How the feck anyone can sit there and criticise him for that I don't know. Some of you deserve owners like Liverpool, who will penny pinch and bullshit the fans in to thinking they'll spend money. You don't deserve the likes of Pogba and Zlatan and Morata when all you do is whine about it.

Sp00ks11

All of the people crying about the money, why? Are you CEO's? Are you financial directors?

Way too many football managers on this site.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yes as an example that a manager coaching a player for three years doesnt make him the best choice, what is mourinho's mould of striker?
He's David Moyes!!! How can you not understand the ridiculousness of comparing him to one of the most successful Managers in the history of the game? Why not look at the success of Paulo Ferreira or Richard Carvalho instead of the desperate transfers of a universally accepted failure? If you want to talk about Mourinho's record of signing ex players, a good place to start would be the ex players Mourinho has signed?

Think Drogba, Costa, Benni Mccarthy. Good in the air, with back to goal, strong, good movement.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He is absolutley spot on

You are absolutely and laughably clueless.

Stactix

He is absolutley spot on

Then why have Real Madrid bid over 100mill for a player that while incredibly talented has only had 1 great season.
We paid 12mill for Ronaldo.. they paid 80mill for Ronaldo who 1 season earlier won the Baloon D'or..

Why did City pay 50mill for Stones & Sterling, 42mill for Mangala..

Prices have shot up in the past 5-6 years, simply because there is more money..

Utd is the richest club in the world, even fecking Sunderland got like 70-80mill Premier league money and they got fecking relegated.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
You are absolutely and laughably clueless.
He has a point if we end up paying more for Perišić, an old winger potentially just a squad player, than Bernardo, a young potential world class playmaker, just because the Portuguese doesn't fit so well in our team.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He has a point if we end up paying more for Perišić, an old winger potentially just a squad player, than Bernardo, a young potential world class playmaker, just because the Portuguese doesn't fit so well in our team.
No he doesn't.

That might be (I don't know) - but he isn't completely wrong about what he writes there
Yes he is.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Then why have Real Madrid bid over 100mill for a player that while incredibly talented has only had 1 great season.
We paid 12mill for Ronaldo.. they paid 80mill for Ronaldo who 1 season earlier won the Baloon D'or..

Why did City pay 50mill for Stones & Sterling, 42mill for Mangala..

Prices have shot up in the past 5-6 years, simply because there is more money..

Utd is the richest club in the world, even fecking Sunderland got like 70-80mill Premier league money and they got fecking relegated.
We are the richest club in the world and want the world to know it. Brag about it. You cannot do that and then go shopping at Lidl. We will have to pay top fees for whoever we need. Some people will have to get over it.

Stactix

I'd agree with this, although that poster was completely clueless.

One thing to bare in mind with Silva though is theirs most likely 20 mill worth of addons on top of the 43mill.. similar to Martial.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He is absolutley spot on

Stupid post. We also paid more for Buttner than we did for Denis Law. Why are you completely ignoring all context of time? Ronaldo was a world record at the time and the 2009 market is totally different to today. We've overpaid for players and got players at good prices just like everybody.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He is absolutley spot on

Inbound players: many things affect that (contract situation, willingness of the selling club, competition, need, how single-minded we are about it). I don't think we paid over the odds for anyone last season. Bailly? Nope. Mkhi? Marginally maybe. Zlatan? Free. Pogba? All the fee-raising factors came in play (incl. Raiola's agreement with Juve squeezing their net income).

Real doesn't want or need to sell Morata. They value him and would rather keep him than try find a Benzema sub for the games he blows cold. Same seems to hold for Inter and Perisic. Imagine someone came now and said they wanted Bailly, would he go for the 30 or so we paid? Nope 70M upwards simply because we have a role settled, we are happy with it and fecking about with that is costly.

Outgoing: we usually discard players at the tail-end of their career or contract, not players we want to keep. We pay high wages so fees are lowered for the recipient to acommodate them. What sort of nutter would pay much for Rooney? Just giftwrap him as a free transfer for all I care and free up the wages.

The last time we didn't want to sell we got a record transfer fee, whether that's low today is irrelevant to negotiation skills at the time. Roy Keane wouldn't be 5M today either nor would you be able to get Cantona for a six-pack and a packet of crisps.

Last edited:

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
The conundrum here:

1. Pay inflated prices for someone who's a good fit, right age, skilful, experienced at the top level and will add to our team.

2. Pay reduced amount for someone not as highly rated, that, if we signed them, the Caf would go into a meltdown as to why we signed 2nd best.

We're the richest club in the world, we can afford these fees. Yes they may be inflated, but we have to accept that. If Morata turns out to be great, none of you whiners will care about the price anymore.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
There's no point buying someone that doesn't fit your team however cheap they look.

Enigma_87

You know who
The conundrum here:

1. Pay inflated prices for someone who's a good fit, right age, skilful, experienced at the top level and will add to our team.

2. Pay reduced amount for someone not as highly rated, that, if we signed them, the Caf would go into a meltdown as to why we signed 2nd best.

We're the richest club in the world, we can afford these fees. Yes they may be inflated, but we have to accept that. If Morata turns out to be great, none of you whiners will care about the price anymore.
3. If you are paying top money go for the best. Instead of splashing 130m+ for Perisic and Morata pay 160+ for Mbappe/Auba and Sanchez for example.

GazTheLegend

He is absolutley spot on

Your entire post is awful but this piece of platidinous garbage is the worst bit of all.

The last transfer window alone shows how incredibly short your memory is.

Real life is not like football manager and Manchester United are well known for being the richest football club on the planet playing in the richest league on the planet.

We couldn't sign a Huddersfield town player if they didn't want to sell them. Huddersfield town have £150 million coming to them in the next year. It's an insane amount of money so if their chairman said "no we are not selling a single player under contract" then that would be it. So it's not a case of us having "absolutely no negotiation skills" (!!)

The only way - the ONLY way to sign a footballer now is to pay stupid amounts of money, or wait until a players contract is low enough that the club can't afford NOT to sell them onwards.

Every team in the world knows this. Daniel Levy has made sure to tie his first team down to stupidly long contracts so Spurs better players can't go anywhere even if they want to.

We are an attractive option for any footballer but we are always going to have to pay
huge amounts for the footballers we want unless we want to gamble on unproven sorts.

MJJ

He's David Moyes!!! How can you not understand the ridiculousness of comparing him to one of the most successful Managers in the history of the game? Why not look at the success of Paulo Ferreira or Richard Carvalho instead of the desperate transfers of a universally accepted failure?

Think Drogba, Costa, Benni Mccarthy. Good in the air, with back to goal, strong, good movement.
The argument was and I quote a scout can not compete with three years of experience. I can point to redknapp as well, as to mourinho's mould:- Dzeko, Cavani, Costa all fit that mould with experience and being proven but am sure there are a few under the radar players out there who we arent aware off.

Timo Werner is somebody I personally like but he doesnt fit that mould.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He is absolutley spot on

Napoli paid 90m€ for a much older striker last year.Besides United,as Madrid and all the other rich clubs usually have to pay a bit more for the transfers.
A couple of days ago there was an article with the 5 reasons why United should buy Morata.
He is young,has potential and has played in 2very competitive teams.
At Juve he played great games in C.L and in Madrid he competed against some of the best strikers in the world.
The demand decides the price(Milan,Conte,Mourinho).
Cristiano left in 2009,the prices can't be compared

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
All of the people crying about the money, why? Are you CEO's? Are you financial directors?

Way too many football managers on this site.
I imagine people are simply having a hard time accepting the club is acting like one of those oil-rich clubs they've been berating for years. The money is absolutely there and we should accept it and spend it like the socialite wife of a footballer on a Manhattan shopping spree but there's no doot aboot it that Fergie's 'value' years seem resolutely down-to-earth by comparison.

But yeah. Way more money in the game these days whether you get your money from oil or from having amassed a rather lovely collection of official suntan lotion partners.

Mr Smith

He is absolutley spot on

I think you're failing to appreciate that we're usually not in a very strong negotiating position. Everyone knows we have money, and a lot of it; why wouldn't clubs make us pay through the nose for players they know we need?

By the way, we negotiated the transfers of Bailly and Mikhi last year in much the same manner City got Silva this year. I think you're overstating our lack of negotiating nous a little.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
3. If you are paying top money go for the best. Instead of splashing 130m+ for Perisic and Morata pay 160+ for Mbappe/Auba and Sanchez for example.
I don't think there's much point in paying huge amounts for Mbappe. Very, very good player yes. Likely multiple Ballon D'Or winner in the future. But the flip side to signing players is getting ones that want to play for your team. I don't think Mbappe wants to come to the EPL, I get the impression he's keen for La Liga with Real. Who wouldn't want that at his age? The last thing we want is to sign a player for 100M+ who's miserable. *Vietnam-style flashbacks to Di Maria*

Hardy Jay

When we pay for whatever amount that is for Morata, we're not just paying it for his on-field value only, his off-field value does come into the factor here. His personality, looks, social media followers, all of those has been taken into consideration by us as much as his skill, technique, goal-scoring ability, etc.

Adnandos

Jesus who fecking cares how much we pay, there are people infinitely more suited to doing this job than you lot are. Embarrassing to think people believe they could be doing a better job than them :lol:

TsuWave

For feck sake, we sold Real Madrid the best player in the world (Ronaldo) for about as much as we are going to pay them for Morata, a player they don't need and sits on their bench...

yeah man, its not like we sold ronaldo damn near 10 years ago or anything...

Red Devil Rising

Jesus who fecking cares how much we pay, there are people infinitely more suited to doing this job than you lot are. Embarrassing to think people believe they could be doing a better job than them :lol:
It's because they had a bid of £43 million accepted on FM 2017.

No buy back clause, no up front cost - nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.