g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

100m budget for 2019 Summer window

Fer

Sell Pogba for minimum 150m
Sell Lukaku for minimum 60m
Get whatever we can for Darmian, Sanchez & Rojo or Jones or Bailey

310m available
Diop 50m
Maddison 60m
Teleimens 45m
Partey 43m
Haller 45m
AWB 50m
=293m

I would spend the 17m left over to take Bale on loan provided Real continued to paid all his wages.
To be honest, that sounds a bit unrealistic to do in one transfer window. But I get your point.

Pogba and Lukaku want to leave. So I wouldn't be surprised if we sell them to invest in new players.

Also, we should be selling the players that barely play like Damian, Rojo and mainly Sanchez who is in high wages.

There are clubs interested in Pogba, Lukaku and De Gea. But I haven't heard rumors about Alexis, Rojo or Darmian leaving.

The players you suggested to sign are realistic IMO. But I can't see Ole singing 3 midfielders for the first team. I assume one spot would be taken for one of Fred, Mctominay, Matic or Pereira.

Unfortunately, the players you mentioned would cost a bit more. So maybe we can sign 4 of them, and next summer we could go for 2 more and hopefully Sancho.

starman

To be honest, that sounds a bit unrealistic to do in one transfer window. But I get your point.

Pogba and Lukaku want to leave. So I wouldn't be surprised if we sell them to invest in new players.

Also, we should be selling the players that barely play like Damian, Rojo and mainly Sanchez who is in high wages.

There are clubs interested in Pogba, Lukaku and De Gea. But I haven't heard rumors about Alexis, Rojo or Darmian leaving.

The players you suggested to sign are realistic IMO. But I can't see Ole singing 3 midfielders for the first team. I assume one spot would be taken for one of Fred, Mctominay, Matic or Pereira.

Unfortunately, the players you mentioned would cost a bit more. So maybe we can sign 4 of them, and next summer we could go for 2 more and hopefully Sancho.
Signing one first team player at this stage feels unrealistic....

But the general consensus going into the summer was we were going to sign at least 2 first team players (exclude James) before discounting anyone leaving. But given that its 50-50 Pogba & Lukaku are leaving, naturally we would expect to then sign replacements if they did.
From my list you could probably discount Partey as I only included him as he has a low release clause and would be a early successor to Matic who I could see leaving next year...

Out of interest who is undervalued? All valuations seem to be inline with the general reported fees

CR1

100 million? Perfectly doable:

This is how to fix the current squad and take us back into firm top four territory:

Pogba wants to leave? Tell Real Madrid they can have him for 125-150 million, no hard feelings.

Crystal Palace want 50 million straight for AWB instead of add-ons? Give it to them so we can move on from RB.

Leicester want 80 million for Maguire? Good player but a bit too much for him, might as well add an extra 20 million to get Koulibaly and then pay 25 million for Alderweireld so we have extra cover at CB.

Then get Longstaff and Fernandes in for a combined 100 million to sort out the midfield.

Finally bid big to get Sancho in for 100 million+ to sort out the right wing. Club could do with a signing like that after the shambles of the last 6 seasons.

Total cost: 375 million + James already signed for 15 million = 390 million. But there are a lot of players we can sell to bring the net spend down significantly. Basically, if we sell Pogba, DDG, Lukaku, Sánchez, Darmian, Young, Rojo and Jones we should get back upwards of 300 million, which would take the net spend into a mere 90 million!

Starting eleven:

Martial Rashford Sancho (James, Greenwood, Lingard)
Fernandes (Mata)
McTominay Longstaff (Fred, Matic)
Shaw Koulibaly Lindelöf AWB (Williams, Alderweireld, Smalling, Dalot)
Henderson (Romero)
The rest of what should be a transfer budget of at least 250 million this window can be paid out to match-going fans as compensation for the mismanagement since SAF retired.

Last edited:

Fer

Signing one first team player at this stage feels unrealistic....

But the general consensus going into the summer was we were going to sign at least 2 first team players (exclude James) before discounting anyone leaving. But given that its 50-50 Pogba & Lukaku are leaving, naturally we would expect to then sign replacements if they did.
From my list you could probably discount Partey as I only included him as he has a low release clause and would be a early successor to Matic who I could see leaving next year...

Out of interest who is undervalued? All valuations seem to be inline with the general reported fees
I may be wrong, but IMO Leicester could ask more for Maddison than 60m (something similar to Maguire who I consider overpriced).

50m for Diop sounds a good valuation. But they could ask 60m-70m for him.

But I agree with your other valuations.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Woodward is responsible of bringing in managers and of negotiating transfers both ins and outs. He's the Glazersain man therefore the buck stops with them. we shouldn't be that surprised of why we're in shambles considering how they are managing the buccaneers
Im not defending Woodward, the guy is just clearly out of his depth in the way of running the football side of a club. Wee've seen that with everything from the managers he brought in to the players and contract

All i was saying is you look at the decisions woodward has made, and 95% of football fans and pundits have agreed, all 3 managers he has appointed has been the fans favourite, fans supported the signing of players like Sanchez and thought that deal was a bargain.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Im not defending Woodward, the guy is just clearly out of his depth in the way of running the football side of a club. Wee've seen that with everything from the managers he brought in to the players and contract

All i was saying is you look at the decisions woodward has made, and 95% of football fans and pundits have agreed, all 3 managers he has appointed has been the fans favourite, fans supported the signing of players like Sanchez and thought that deal was a bargain.
Which is why I don't hate him, he is seemingly out of his depth when it comes to certain aspects of a football club but he hasn't done things that were obviously wrong, it's just that at the top you can't just be "not terrible", you need to be good and make things better than they would normally be. He is seemingly not made for elite sports, there is no shame in that but that's not enough for United.

Hughie77

Club's are waiting on us to get some of theses targets in especially Real Madrid they want Pogba on the cheap, hoping we need to sell, after buying? It's a tricky business, you can't just sell pogba, puts the selling club say like Sporting in a stronger position plus player will try to up there wages, if Bruno F, is on radar?

Same as CB, clubs know we've been after one for 2 seasons at least? Price sky high. They have to try and buy and sell players roughly at same time. To get best deals. Can't just buy xyz, then hope to sell abcd and expect to get best prices clubs will know we need to off load, price comes down. Transfers bloody hell

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Which is why I don't hate him, he is seemingly out of his depth when it comes to certain aspects of a football club but he hasn't done things that were obviously wrong, it's just that at the top you can't just be "not terrible", you need to be good and make things better than they would normally be. He is seemingly not made for elite sports, there is no shame in that but that's not enough for United.
That it isn't it, he obviously a great business man, but that doesn't mean he's a great football businessman. We've see that since day one the whole fabregas and fellaini debacle. You look at most of the decisions he's made Van Gaal's the biggest manager available lets sign him, Mourinhos the biggest manager available lets sign him, Di Maria is available lets get him Sanchez is available lets sign him,.....its almost like he has been working on a google search of what should I do now. Theirs been no obvious football direction and he obviouly doesn't even really understand what that is, but equally most of the big decisons he has made fans and pundits have all been in agreement with him, the only thing he hasn't done which fans seems to want to see is bancrupt us by spending 200 million every summer.
Problem is building a successful football squad is really hard which is why directors of football have become more and more important, and Woodward like nearly all fans(myself included) and pundits just don't have the foggiest how to do it. Problem is like most people in a position of power they get scared of losing their power, and so he has refused to bring in Paul Mitchell like person.

Dve

Not sure I belive this 100m story anyway. This is Woodward last month: “Preparations for the new season are underway and the underlying strength of our business will allow us to support the manager and his team as we look to the future.”

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
What a truly disappointing summer its been so far when it comes to transfers,both incoming and outgoing.
Ole wanted the new signings ready for pre season..that looks like a pipe dream now and there is no solution on Pogba,De Gea and Lukaku.
The deadwood is still here and they dont seem to be going anywhere soon,no rumors around them complete silence.
All the problems we had before the season ended is still here and pre season starts next weekend?

Dont know why Woodward doesnt get his finger out.
What a truly disappointing summer its been so far when it comes to transfers,both incoming and outgoing.
Ole wanted the new signings ready for pre season..that looks like a pipe dream now and there is no solution on Pogba,De Gea and Lukaku.
The deadwood is still here and they dont seem to be going anywhere soon,no rumors around them complete silence.
All the problems we had before the season ended is still here and pre season starts next weekend?

Dont know why Woodward doesnt get his finger out.
The "deadwood" reminds me of Ed Woodward, but He is just a puppet for the real masters. Do not expect much improvement for United right now. Then you can avoid massive disapointment, the cash the club earns is needed elsewhere it seems.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Not sure I belive this 100m story anyway. This is Woodward last month: “Preparations for the new season are underway and the underlying strength of our business will allow us to support the manager and his team as we look to the future.”
Do you see the support`for the manager? and "his team?" If they where United they would have said "our team" and not "His team" The dividing line.

RMD83

Madrid already at 266 million pounds. What’s we need to do to be honest.
Sadly my sentiment exactly. When those yearly profit margins are released it will still have us in the top 3 with Madrid and Barca and yet when needed they will spend the money needed and more importantly execute it swiftly as Madrid have proved. We at board level clearly don’t have the same motivation to be the best nor the tact to execute it. Madrid have already managed to make a cluster of signings including hazard, mendy and jovic in less time than it’s took us to get a player from the championship and nail down a RB from palace.

Dve

Do you see the support`for the manager? and "his team?" If they where United they would have said "our team" and not "His team" The dividing line.
Not sure there is so much into that. Support for the team Ole wants to create. His team. Different from Mourinho´s team. He has to build his own team. Even United fans say that.

nameischarles

There is some truth with the 100m story, what Ed is saying is what any CEO would say to save face and trust. If preparations for the new season are underway many of those 'preparations' should have been wrapped up just before the team goes out for preseason training.

We have only signed 1 player so far, even that was delayed and yet we are still under negotiations for our 2nd signing. I get it transfer deals don't happen swiftly but surely we would have started making our enquiries in advance. I think Ole has give and take 100 million to spend and then the rest is dependant on player sales.

VanGaalyTime

There is some truth with the 100m story, what Ed is saying is what any CEO would say to save face and trust. If preparations for the new season are underway many of those 'preparations' should have been wrapped up just before the team goes out for preseason training.

We have only signed 1 player so far, even that was delayed and yet we are still under negotiations for our 2nd signing. I get it transfer deals don't happen swiftly but surely we would have started making our enquiries in advance. I think Ole has give and take 100 million to spend and then the rest is dependant on player sales.
What were we actually doing during the season? Woodward had at least 6 months to sign players and we're still in negotiations? What's happening?

croadyman

I hate to say there looks to be some truth in Utd having to sell first before buying. That is such a sad state of affairs but the club is serious trouble right now.

DoomSlayer

What were we actually doing during the season? Woodward had at least 6 months to sign players and we're still in negotiations? What's happening?
We haven't sold anyone, that is the issue. And the only ones to blame are the club hierarchy, since they conduct this part of the club business and they decided to offer ludicrous wages to some absolutely average players.

As it stands, noone is interested in any of our overpaid footballers, not at any adequate fees at least.

haram

I hate to say there looks to be some truth in Utd having to sell first before buying. That is such a sad state of affairs but the club is serious trouble right now.
Pogba and Lukaku. Otherwise the player has to be marketable for us to spend big on them.

VanGaalyTime

We haven't sold anyone, that is the issue. And the only ones to blame are the club hierarchy, since they conduct this part of the club business and they decided to offer ludicrous wages to some absolutely average players.

As it stands, noone is interested in any of our overpaid footballers, not at any adequate fees at least.
But if that's the case why are we renewing guys like Mata and Jones? Surely it's better to release them and get better players?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I expected us to reach 200 million in spending this summer. I'd usually expect 50 million out of that to come from transfer fee receipts or wages being freed but given the number of players we appear to want to let go, it's understandable for maybe 100 million to come from that source - more if we sell Pogba and Lukaku.

Also the media is probably exaggerating as usual as well throwing people into hysteria.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

You can't really compare the CEO of Manchester United with fans. The former has at his disposal a clear picture of what's going on inside OT. He's assisted by a horde of football people (managers, scouts etc) and he has actually the power to change things around and bring more football people to support him if he wanted. Fans on the other hand has no football expertise, they are biased, they have little time or opportunity to go into the nitty gritty of things and on top of that they lack the information to do so. Most of their information comes from journalists who have no idea what's going on, agents who have an agenda and of course the club's propaganda machine.

Also some decisions aren't good and bad and they aren't exactly clear from day 1. Take Sanchez case for example. At first it was thought as an efficient way to replace a failed signing with an EPL proven winger who was heading at the end of the contract. That's why so many people backed that up. Only afterwards we had learnt that Sanchez has signed for us on an absolutely crazy salary which in return had a very negative effective on the morale of our top 5 players (Pogba, DDG, Martial and possibly Rashford).

Not to forget that most criticism surrounding Woodward comes from his mismanagement on the football side of things. For example his horrible negotiation tactics (we overspend when buying players and we sell our players on the cheap), the time he takes to conclude a deal which makes it almost impossible for the club to go past the 5 signings per summer criteria and the dragging of the feet in terms of bringing in a DOF. I find all that criticism pretty legitimate.

Joseunited

I expected us to reach 200 million in spending this summer. I'd usually expect 50 million out of that to come from transfer fee receipts or wages being freed but given the number of players we appear to want to let go, it's understandable for maybe 100 million to come from that source - more if we sell Pogba and Lukaku.

Also the media is probably exaggerating as usual as well throwing people into hysteria.
You mean like this one:lol:

Rake

100 mil won't cut it... Especially now, when we are targeting promising English players, which always had an added fee anyway, in an era where PL teams are under no pressure to sell.

The board must be leaving in the early 2000s... I know that most transfer fees are paid out in installments but surely most teams would demand at least 40% of the transfer money immediately.

yamo123x

James
AwB
Longstaff

That might well be it.

I think the club’s and ole’s take on things will be our focus and main priority has been securing contracts for Key players like de gea, rashford, mata

UpWithRivers

Even with a ridiculous budget and keeping Pogba we can make significant improvements if we manage to go for the cheaper players. Yeah it would be better not shopping in the bargain bin but what can you do.

1. Rabiot -free
2. Muenier - 25
3. Alderweild - 25
4. Tielemans - 40
5. Chiesa/Pepe - or whoever is cheapest. - 50/60
Total 140/150
Yes over 100 but we will have some sales

-------------DDG-----
Muenier-Lindelof-Alderweild-Shaw
----Rabiot--Tielemans--Pogba
--Chiesa----Rashford---Martial

Yes we won't be able to sign all these players- Rabiot especially. But it's an idea of a strategy instead of getting one or two young British players for 50/60/ 70 mill. We can offer them more wages..you never know

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Some stories that I've heard, is that we WERE in negotiations with new players back in March, but those players then changed their minds when the CL spot wasn't secured....so all the preparations that we had actually done this year have counted for nothing, and we've had to start all over again....who knows if there's perhaps truth in this..?

Judas

Open to offers
Some stories that I've heard, is that we WERE in negotiations with new players back in March, but those players then changed their minds when the CL spot wasn't secured....so all the preparations that we had actually done this year have counted for nothing, and we've had to start all over again....who knows if there's perhaps truth in this..?
Doesn't take any inside knowledge to know that missing out on CL has done us a lot of damage this summer, but I think our choice of manager and current squad issues has given players a lot of reasons to consider other options too. We're just not an attractive option right now, and it's all pretty self inflicted.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Dangerous game putting all our eggs in the one basket relying on CL qualification for targets.Hope we have a plan B.

Bestietom

I believe that we need to sell players to buy. But having to sell our best players to rebuild is ridiculous for a club of our size.
If it is true, that the Glazers won't give any more than 100million for a rebuild, ( don't jump on me, I know it's only media talk) It is absolutely crazy. We should be up in arms over this.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Years of bad decisions and wasted money have caught up with us. £100m net isn't bad, it's that most of the squad is next to worthless that's the problem. Much of other team's 'rebuilds' have been because they have got decent fees for their players and re-invested.

For those suggesting cheaper (or free), older signings, £100m isn't £100m with unlimited wages, the more a player costs over the length of his contract the less the 'transfer budget' will be. It's nonsense to say we have a one off 'purchase price' budget this summer. Other clubs won't be daft enough to see it as some sort of threat either, unless they are run as badly as us.

jackal&hyde

I don't buy it for a second. It's either bs to get United fans angry and generate traffic or it's a briefing by the club to lower demands from the selling clubs. We paid 90 for Pogba and offered 100 for Varane just last summer.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
You can't really compare the CEO of Manchester United with fans. The former has at his disposal a clear picture of what's going on inside OT. He's assisted by a horde of football people (managers, scouts etc) and he has actually the power to change things around and bring more football people to support him if he wanted. Fans on the other hand has no football expertise, they are biased, they have little time or opportunity to go into the nitty gritty of things and on top of that they lack the information to do so. Most of their information comes from journalists who have no idea what's going on, agents who have an agenda and of course the club's propaganda machine.

Also some decisions aren't good and bad and they aren't exactly clear from day 1. Take Sanchez case for example. At first it was thought as an efficient way to replace a failed signing with an EPL proven winger who was heading at the end of the contract. That's why so many people backed that up. Only afterwards we had learnt that Sanchez has signed for us on an absolutely crazy salary which in return had a very negative effective on the morale of our top 5 players (Pogba, DDG, Martial and possibly Rashford).

Not to forget that most criticism surrounding Woodward comes from his mismanagement on the football side of things. For example his horrible negotiation tactics (we overspend when buying players and we sell our players on the cheap), the time he takes to conclude a deal which makes it almost impossible for the club to go past the 5 signings per summer criteria and the dragging of the feet in terms of bringing in a DOF. I find all that criticism pretty legitimate.
Of course Woodward should no better, but he clearly doesn't, but equally fans and pundits should of known how daft handing out the biggest contract in premier league history to a winger coming up to 30 was never going to end well in the log run, yet 90% praised the move.
Fan and pundits should of known the stupidity of going from a spending 300+ million under a manager who values possession an bring through youth, to then hiring a manger who likes his team to opperate without the ball and likes working with experienced established players. Yet 90% of fans/pundits/media praised the hiring
Hiring Solskjaer, everyone who follows football knows about a new manager bounce, everyone who follows football has seen loads of of instances of temporary managers getting hired after a good start and it all going pear shaped. Everyone knows about Solskjaer's disastrous reign at Cardiff. So logically the smart thing to do was too wait and see how it would go at last to the end of the season, when we didn't fans and pundits again on mass praised the decision.
The comparison is simple we have a guy making football decisions inline with what fans and the media think he should do. When clearly that isn't good enough and who ever is in charge needs to know better.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
This place actually seems a little less angry then it was about 5 days ago. I personally don't feel as angry anymore either.

Is this the acceptance stage?

Seven Seas Sardines

This place actually seems a little less angry then it was about 5 days ago. I personally don't feel as angry anymore either.

Is this the acceptance stage?
I think the world(media, arabs, adidas) acknowledging the #GlazersOut protest gives us a little more patience since we've had no other positive news for a long time.