19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The disconnect between the switchboard & the cops on the ground is so disconcerting. Either it’s piss poor logistics or the cops knew that about the calls yet didn’t amend their actions.

Either way it’s egregiously fecked up.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Was this official questioned? How did they come to the conclusion that there was no longer an active shooting situation?
Frequency of gunshots most likely. Not sure if they were in verbal communication with the shooter.

The official (school district chief of police) who made the determination not to enter the classroom was conspicuously absent from the presser today.

Carolina Red

Staff
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...08866f4c2be7e6#block-6290fcac8f08866f4c2be7e6

Texas officials: 'No excuse for not tackling shooter'

The head of the Texas department of public safety has said “there’s no excuse” for officers not trying to break into an elementary school classroom where a gunman was killing 19 students and two teachers.

Steven McCraw was facing questions over law enforcement’s response to Tuesday’s shooting at Robb elementary, at a lunchtime briefing.

Reporters wanted to know why law enforcement officers waited outside for about an hour while the killing continued, and before a Swat team eventually breached the classroom and shot the killer dead.

“It was the wrong decision,” McCraw conceded.

“The on-scene commander at the time believed it had transitioned from an active shooter to a barricaded subject,” he said, adding the commander thought “there were no children at risk”.

“Obviously, based upon the information we [now] have, there were children in that classroom at risk”.

Asked about a “40-minute gap” in which 911 operators were aware children were alive, but officers still didn’t go in, he added:

The decision was made that this was a barricaded subject, there was time to retrieve the keys and wait for a tactical team … that was the decision, that was the thought process.

With the benefit of hindsight, of course it was not the right decision, it was the wrong decision. Period. There’s no excuse for that.
The worst thing is, gun folk are gonna latch onto this as "see! The police can't / won't protect you. You have to have a gun on you to be safe"

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think most parents would do the same. I would rather die trying than live with the guilt of doing nothing.
One of the clips starts with a cop on top of a parent with his knee in his back, no clue if he was the one who was apparently pepper sprayed.

RedDevil@84

Just saw an article saying that some Texas-based news outlet are considering releasing NSFW images of the dead children, presumably to elicit some sort of empathy from gun rights activists. Not sure how effective that would be. You can put one of the dead bodies on their front doorstep and they won’t bat an eyelid.
They will look at the images and go buy some more guns, and will argue that loads of guns will prevent those pics happening to them.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Kids getting murdered in classrooms is not getting worse everywhere.
It’s not getting worse everywhere. In other first World countries school shootings simply don’t occur or are extremely extremely rare.
Well of course, I didn't made my point clear as I didn't quote what I was replying about. I was talking in more general terms during a temporary derail of the thread, about degradation of politics, and whether it was better overall to live in Europe vs USA.

Gladly the gun culture is one area I don't see us importing their problems.

I'm too bitter in relation to the worlds future, and so anxious that my posts will be no better than this.

Mike Smalling

@Carolina Red

The actual police didn't have the guts to stop the shooter, but these turds want to put armed people at every school. There are about 130,000 schools in the US according to a quick Google search. Let's make a conservative estimate that each school would need two armed officers at every school, and of course this only works if they are there full-time. So, you would need to go out and find a quarter of a million people who are qualified and motivated to do the job. Now this job would entail doing absolutely nothing for days, weeks, months and years on end, but if something were to happen these individuals need to know exactly what to do, and be willing to lay down theirs lives to protect the children. And they can absolutely not hesitate, which the actual police officers did.

Someone needs to clearly point out the absolute fecking lunacy of this proposal to Republicans.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
the police were absolute pussies. It is your job to go in not "secure the scene."

I can't understand the calls for gun laws considering there was just as proliferate a ratio of guns pre 1990 but absolutely nowhere near the rate of mass shooting incidences as before. The USA and its outposts are uniquely mentally ill societies. This is the consequence post 2000

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The actual police didn't have the guts to stop the shooter, but these turds want to put armed people at every school. There are about 130,000 schools in the US according to a quick Google search. Let's make a conservative estimate that each school would need two armed officers at every school, and of course this only works if they are there full-time. So, you would need to go out and find a quarter of a million people who are qualified and motivated to do the job. Now this job would entail doing absolutely nothing for days, weeks, months and years on end, but if something were to happen these individuals need to know exactly what to do, and be willing to lay down theirs lives to protect the children. And they can absolutely not hesitate, which the actual police officers did.

Someone needs to clearly point out the absolute fecking lunacy of this proposal to Republicans.
Like @Carolina Red said, the right is already shifting the narrative away from backing the cops to arm yourselves because only you can save yourself & your loved ones.

It will be such a conundrum for them, how much to disown the cops before they get pushback from the unions. Nothing a little donation won’t solve.

Carolina Red

Staff
Like @Carolina Red said, the right is already shifting the narrative away from backing the cops to arm yourselves because only you can save yourself & your loved ones.

It will be such a conundrum for them, how much to disown the cops before they get pushback from the unions. Nothing a little donation won’t solve.
Yep. That's the consequence of the weird big tent coalition the GOP has built around the 2nd Amendment.

You've got the "back the blue" 2A conservatives and you've got the "I don't trust the government" 2A libertarians.

Carolina Red

Staff
So we should put a law that you need to have some ba**s to own a gun?
Like someone said earlier, maybe we should just arm the moms.

2 moms died using their bodies as shields for their students. 1 ran into the school herself after evading the cops.

More courage displayed by those 3 than by that entire police force combined.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
For the sake of argument, let's say teachers get armed. What would conservatives say when a teacher guns down his classroom?

nimic

something nice
Scout
https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-school-shooting-430b975bbaacce445451e4026cedc171

There was a barrage of gunfire shortly after Ramos entered the classroom where officers eventually killed him, but those shots were “sporadic” for much of the 48 minutes when officers waited in the hallway, McCraw said. He said investigators do not know if or how many children died during that time.
What the feck, they were outside the room where he was killing kids, for 48 minutes? While he was killing them? That's so much worse than what I thought.

Those people are murderers by proxy.

Last edited: