40s Retro Football Fantasy Draft | Finished

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Why is there no chemistry between Van Hanegem and Netzer? Because he hates Germans or are you meaning stylistically, as I think those two would be fine together in that sense with the right partner.
Mainly because Netzer thrived playing alongside direct midfielders rather than dominant playmaker types. Personally I'd say they'd gel together pretty well, as van Hanegem was more than complete enough to make it a great partnership, but then you'd always have that Overath-Netzer example being thrown into your face (if I'm not wrong they were frequently tried out in a midfield duo, in a 4-2-4 and that was never going to work imo).

Fair enough. I think that quip gets trotted out far too often however and as I say applies just as much to the Eusebio, Law and Netzer trio.
Erm, I don't quite see how that applies to that trio at all, but let's save that discussion for the match day thread.

Another semifinal for us, @Joga Bonito
Aye, would Monday be fine with you?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Erm, I don't quite see how that applies to that trio at all, but let's save that discussion for the match day thread.
I'm not saying that they can't play together, I just think that any stylistic issues there are at least as significant as a potential Netzer/Van Hanegem midfield which was my point.

Law wasn't a proper #9 and neither was Eusebio - they both like to drop deep to pick up the ball, so with Netzer there it might get a touch crowded. That's all I was getting at. I think someone like Muller would be a better fit next to either of them.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I'm not saying that they can't play together, I just think that any stylistic issues there are at least as significant as a potential Netzer/Van Hanegem midfield which was my point.

Law wasn't a proper #9 and neither was Eusebio - they both like to drop deep to pick up the ball, so with Netzer there it might get a touch crowded. That's all I was getting at. I think someone like Muller would be a better fit next to either of them.
PM incoming. Don't want to discuss about my team here, prior to the game and possibly reveal things, and you won't be able to vote in my game anyway.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I can start the game, if you want me to.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
When are the Semi Finals and what's the idea for the next draft?
9 Oct - Mon - harms vs joga

11 Oct - Wed - Theon/Gio vs Aldo

Not sure what the next draft is going to be, but that will probably be discussed in the draft ideas/discussion thread after this one is over. Or give it a bump now if you have something new in mind.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Sorry for the inconvenience guys, won't be able to have the match today. Are you fine with postponing it to tomorrow @harms ?

Skizzo

9 Oct - Mon - harms vs joga

11 Oct - Wed - Theon/Gio vs Aldo

Not sure what the next draft is going to be, but that will probably be discussed in the draft ideas/discussion thread after this one is over. Or give it a bump now if you have something new in mind.
I just want to let you all know that you're way past your scheduled match dates, and have all been disqualified.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Aldo hasn't been online for quite some time, any other neutral willing to kickstart this match?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's a pattern. Pick Facchetti, move my original left back somewhere else and lose in the semi against Joga

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Give me some time guys, got a tough decision to make.

I'll just leave these videos here for you all to enjoy, till I make my choice.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I'm free tomorrow.