g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

40s Retro Football Fantasy Draft | Finished

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Aldo 1. Best 2. Chumpitaz 3. Pirri 4. Israel 5. Ademir da Guia
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2. Greaves 3. Bremner 4. Corso 5. E. Hughes
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2. Oblak 3. Maier 4. Fischer 5. McNeill
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2. Keizer 3. Olsen 4. Gemmell 5. Murdoch
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2. Overath 3. Johnstone 4. Hulshoff 5. Kindvall
Invictus 1a. Eusébio 1b. Jairzinho 2a. Mazzola 2b. Zoff 3a. Haan 3b. B Dietz 4a. Suurbier 4b. Giles 5a. Perfumo 5b. Buchan
Balu 1. G. Müller 2. Vogts 3. Rensenbrink 4. Dobrin 5. Benetti
ctp 1. Rivelino 2. Marzolini 3. Jansen 4. Heynckes 5. Höttges
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão 3. Bene 4. Van Moer 5. Khurtsilava
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5. Bulgarelli
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5. Luis Pereira
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst 4. Roth 5. Blankenburg
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov 4. Causio 5. Lubański
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball 4. Wimmer 5. Gadocha
Marty1968 1. Gerson 2. Carlos Alberto 3. Rosato 4. Schwarzenbeck 5. Cubilla 6. Grabowski

diarm

Aldo 1. Best 2. Chumpitaz 3. Pirri 4. Israel 5. Ademir da Guia
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2. Greaves 3. Bremner 4. Corso 5. E. Hughes
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2. Oblak 3. Maier 4. Fischer 5. McNeill
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2. Keizer 3. Olsen 4. Gemmell 5. Murdoch
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2. Overath 3. Johnstone 4. Hulshoff 5. Kindvall
Invictus 1a. Eusébio 1b. Jairzinho 2a. Mazzola 2b. Zoff 3a. Haan 3b. B Dietz 4a. Suurbier 4b. Giles 5a. Perfumo 5b. Buchan
Balu 1. G. Müller 2. Vogts 3. Rensenbrink 4. Dobrin 5. Benetti
ctp 1. Rivelino 2. Marzolini 3. Jansen 4. Heynckes 5. Höttges
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão 3. Bene 4. Van Moer 5. Khurtsilava
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5. Bulgarelli
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5. Luis Pereira
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst 4. Roth 5. Blankenburg
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov 4. Causio 5. Lubański
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball 4. Wimmer 5. Gadocha
Marty1968 1. Gerson 2. Carlos Alberto 3. Rosato 4. Schwarzenbeck 5. Cubilla 6. Grabowski
You'll probably end up drawing the bye into the next round and all!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Men of the stature of Graeme Souness, Sandy Jardine and Ally McCoist have all said John Greig was the best. The fans have said it, too.

They voted him the winner in a competition to find the Greatest Ever Ranger and Greig received his award at a star-studded dinner in Glasgow in March 1999.

It isn't difficult to see why Greig was their choice. It wasn't just his ability, though he was a devastatingly strong and influential player.

It was also his passion, his drive, his undeniable will to win that expressed, more than any other contemporary, the essential spirit of what Rangers Football Club is about.

Consider his achievements:-

• Captain of his club and of his country
  • A man who led Rangers to their first European trophy
  • Holder of the club's record number of League appearances with 496 games
  • Second only to Dougie Gray for appearances in all competitions with an incredible 857 matches
  • Scorer of 120 goals while playing most of his football in defence or midfield.
  • The only player to have won the Treble an astonishing three times
No wonder that Greig, twice Scotland's Player of the Year, was awarded the MBE in 1977 for his services to the game. Few can compare with such a brilliant record and a glorious career littered with trophies - 5 Scottish league titles, 6 Scottish Cups, 5 Scottish League Cups and a European Cup Winner's Cup in an era dominated by the Lisbon Lions.

Under Greig's forceful leadership, Rangers reached the European Cup Winners Final in May 1967, only losing to Der Kaiser's Bayern Munich 1-0 in extra time. It was a great performance from Rangers, considering that the Final was played in Nuremberg and was almost like a home game for the Germans. Greig would have the last laugh though, defeating Bayern Munich in the semi finals of the 1972 European Cup Winners Cup, before bringing the first ever European trophy to Ibrox after triumphing in the final against Dynamo Moscow. Greig would also skipper Scotland to a historic victory against England, the World Cup holders, in 1967 - a game which ended England's 19 match unbeaten run. A win against Scotland would have equalled England's highest unbeaten run of 20 games - a run that was coincidentally broken by Scotland's very own Wembley Wizards in 1928.

Ultimately, he was the Greatest Ever Ranger who played 857 matches for the club and could never be accused of going missing in any of them. An Edinburgh man, he became identified with the club over the decades but his image became uniformly that of a hard man. This did great disservice to his ability. He was an inside forward before moving back to right-half or right-back and could complement his abrasive tackling with perceptive passing and goals. Ironically, his most remembered goal may be his effort that won a World Cup qualifying match against Italy at Hampden in November 1965. This came after a typically lung-bursting run and assured shot.

Greig excelled for the club in good times and bad and became almost a personification of a Rangers spirit. He is honoured by a statue outside Ibrox that pays tribute to the 66 victims of the disaster at the stadium in 1971. Greig was a player, manager and director of the club but he will surely be remembered as a captain. His biggest trophy win was the European Cup-Winners' Cup but he regularly stepped up to lift the results of an irresistible team performance marked by his indefatigable leadership. In personal life, he is modest, with a wry humour but he remains one of the great examples of a player who mixed heart and skill to drag his team-mates to victory. It may seem absurd given his achievements to say he was under-rated but he was in terms of his technical accomplishments.

The Herald Scotland recently did a list of top 50 Scottish footballers in 2013 and John Greig was their highest rated defender at 8th (a tad generous since Hansen should have been the best imo but Greig most certainly belonged in that elite tier of Scottish CB/FBs.)

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You heard the man! They're mine, all of them, all mine, my precious.
Can I have Giles'head, mate? Don't need the actual player, just the head. That way I can stick it on some no-mark and people will think he's Giles. It's a cunning and subtle plan, see.

Plus, you'll have a headless - but actually very good - player. Which is both effective - and bloody scary. Win-win, in other words.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Aldo 1. Best 2. Chumpitaz 3. Pirri 4. Israel 5. Ademir da Guia 6.
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2. Greaves 3. Bremner 4. Corso 5. E. Hughes 6.
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2. Oblak 3. Maier 4. Fischer 5. McNeill 6.
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2. Keizer 3. Olsen 4. Gemmell 5. Murdoch 6.
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2. Overath 3. Johnstone 4. Hulshoff 5. Kindvall 6.
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2. Mazzola 3. Haan 4. Suurbier 5. Perfumo 6.
Balu 1. G. Müller 2. Vogts 3. Rensenbrink 4. Dobrin 5. Benetti 6.
ctp 1. Rivelino 2. Marzolini 3. Jansen 4. Heynckes 5. Höttges 6.
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão 3. Bene 4. Van Moer 5. Khurtsilava 6.
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5. Bulgarelli 6.
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5. Luis Pereira 6.
sallycinnamin 1. Jairzinho 2. Zoff 3. B Dietz 4. Giles 5. Buchan 6.
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst 4. Roth 5. Blankenburg 6.
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov 4. Causio 5. Lubański 6.
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball 4. Wimmer 5. Gadocha 6. Greig

@Tuppet

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Boo! Bring back the real list. #justiceforjairzinho
Can I have Giles'head, mate? Don't need the actual player, just the head. That way I can stick it on some no-mark and people will think he's Giles. It's a cunning and subtle plan, see.

Plus, you'll have a headless - but actually very good - player. Which is both effective - and bloody scary. Win-win, in other words.
Sure mate, anything you want. :)
If he really wants to quit, you can take over his team.
Oh wait, FFS, turncoat. A pox on thee, Chester of the Streets! You shall never have the head of Giles.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'd imagine John Greig would have been quite high on @Gio's wish list
I'm sure they considered him, as such, but looking at their team he probably isn't an ideal fit. My guess would be they want a straight-ass stopper alongside Don Elias.

EDIT Nevermind, I thought they had picked a LB. But they haven't, so they obviously would've played him there - and, yes, in that scenario they might be slightly pissed off.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Well change your pick, its you turn!!!

Tuppet

I'll pick one of the best defensive midfielder in this draft -
Wilson Piazza

In the first half of 1970s, Piazza was one of the best defensive midfielder in the world along with the likes of Breitner, Pirri and Neeskens. A proper anchor type midfielder, his defensive prowess and technical ability mean he could play as center back, defensive midfielder and even a playmaker.

He was part of the 1970 world cup winning team, where he started in all the games, playing as a central defender. He represented Brazil 66 times in his career and also played in world cup 74. In his club career he played as a defensive midfielder for Cruzeiro, where he helped the team to one of its most successful period, winning Copa Libertadores in 1976 and winning Campeonato Mineiro 10 times.

He was awarded Brazilian Bola de Prata award in 1972 which was awarded to the best player in his position. That year he was part of the team of the season along with the likes of Figueroa.

Honours

• World champion in 1970 with the Brazilian national team
• Taça Brasil in 1966 with Cruzeiro E.C.
• Copa Libertadores in 1976 with Cruzeiro E.C.
• Winner Campeonato Mineiro (Minas Gerais State championship) in 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975 and 1977 with Cruzeiro E.C.
• Inicio Tournament: 1966
• Rio Branco Cup: 1967
• Roca Cup: 1971
• Minas Gerais Cup: 1973
• "Brazilian Bola de Prata" (Brazilian Silver Ball) award in 1972.

Tuppet

Aldo 1. Best 2. Chumpitaz 3. Pirri 4. Israel 5. Ademir da Guia 6.
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2. Greaves 3. Bremner 4. Corso 5. E. Hughes 6.
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2. Oblak 3. Maier 4. Fischer 5. McNeill 6.
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2. Keizer 3. Olsen 4. Gemmell 5. Murdoch 6.
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2. Overath 3. Johnstone 4. Hulshoff 5. Kindvall 6.
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2. Mazzola 3. Haan 4. Suurbier 5. Perfumo 6.
Balu 1. G. Müller 2. Vogts 3. Rensenbrink 4. Dobrin 5. Benetti 6.
ctp 1. Rivelino 2. Marzolini 3. Jansen 4. Heynckes 5. Höttges 6.
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão 3. Bene 4. Van Moer 5. Khurtsilava 6.
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5. Bulgarelli 6.
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5. Luis Pereira 6.
sallycinnamin 1. Jairzinho 2. Zoff 3. B Dietz 4. Giles 5. Buchan 6.
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst 4. Roth 5. Blankenburg 6.
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov 4. Causio 5. Lubański 6. Piazza
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball 4. Wimmer 5. Gadocha 6. Greig

@harms

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What the feck... messed up the dates, so very uncharacteristic of me. Sorry, guys, you'll need to wait a little until I get home. And please, don't mention the United game here, I haven't watched it

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What the feck... messed up the dates, so very uncharacteristic of me. Sorry, guys, you'll need to wait a little until I get home. And please, don't mention the United game here, I haven't watched it
No reason to apologize, hours to go before the deadline.

What's important now is to get this Sally situation settled.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No reason to apologize, hours to go before the deadline.

What's important now is to get this Sally situation settled.
Yeah, I figured that there was no reason to rush here as we are a manager down, but still. Drunken double-check and here I am, with not one, but two players suddenly out of my reach

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Drunken double-check and here I am, with not one, but two players suddenly out of my reach
Aye, I've no hope of getting anyone this round. It's into "settle for something realistic" territory now - well and truly, I reckon.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Alright, if no one else is more willing than I am, I'll go for it.

How much time do I have left in making my next pick?
It's not your turn yet. @harms has to pick first. Once he made his pick you have 8 hours. But if you need more to do some research and get going, I'm sure we can all agree to give you a bit more time.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
It's not your turn yet. @harms has to pick first. Once he made his pick you have 8 hours. But if you need more to do some research and get going, I'm sure we can all agree to give you a bit more time.
This, surely.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
*Sigh* Call me when this is back to me...

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
You lot shouldn't of had a laugh at Sally's last pick:nono:
They weren't laughing at his pick but rather at him PM-ing EAP to post his pick when he was online or thereabouts, meaning he never once posted in the thread at all.