40s Retro Football Fantasy Draft | Finished

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I dunno. I have seen lots of players get slaughtered on here before due to not being as well known or having as many fans.

No reason why he should get slaughtered. We're in round five of this thing - there will be plenty of players picked who have less credentials than your man. You just need to sell the fecker.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Anyway, I'm off to get me some more booze and/or some hookers - see you all in a while, and if I miss my turn, I pick my old man (who is eligible and who was a tactically superb player - shite technique, admittedly - back in the day).

diarm

I was wondering who'd pick Suurbier. We considered him, but LW is the strongest pool in this draft and decided to pass on from the inevitable comments on matchday thread.
I don't understand this comment at all.

Suurbier was a right back, not a LW and he was absolutely world class. A brilliant and frightening attacking wing back, he's probably the greatest Dutch RB of all time.

What are the inevitable comments on the matchday thread? I found it all completely confusing when you went on to say how poor the RB pool was later on!!!

Skizzo

Suurbier was a right back, not a LW and he was absolutely world class. A brilliant and frightening attacking wing back, he's probably the greatest Dutch RB of all time.

What are the inevitable comments on the matchday thread? I found it all completely confusing when you went on to say how poor the RB pool was later on!!!
Obviously you haven't seen a match thread with Suurbier in it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

As Skizzo said, Suurbier has always had the reputation of a uber-attacking wing back who needs defensive support. RB faces opponent's LW and if he comes up against Dzagic or Johnstone or Corso, you better have a GOAT CB or a back 3 formation. Despite his popularity, he is nearly always the last of the RBs to be picked.

diarm

As Skizzo said, Suurbier has always had the reputation of a uber-attacking wing back who needs defensive support. RB faces opponent's LW and if he comes up against Dzagic or Johnstone or Corso, you better have a GOAT CB or a back 3 formation. Despite his popularity, he is nearly always the last of the RBs to be picked.
Ah I get you. I misunderstood earlier and thought you were implying he was a LW.

I think sometimes he can be unfairly maligned as a poor defender because he was utilised in such an attacking role, and because that Ajax side could afford him to with their formation/system. In reality he was a fine defender with good tackling ability and buckets of pace. There is no real reason a side couldn't use him in a slightly less gung ho full back role and still have one of the best right backs in the draft.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Ah I get you. I misunderstood earlier and thought you were implying he was a LW.

I think sometimes he can be unfairly maligned as a poor defender because he was utilised in such an attacking role, and because that Ajax side could afford him to with their formation/system. In reality he was a fine defender with good tackling ability and buckets of pace. There is no real reason a side couldn't use him in a slightly less gung ho full back role and still have one of the best right backs in the draft.
All the best. But I suggest you search him in caf for previous comments which will definitely get recycled. I don't want to analyse him here...so will just stop at giving you the heads up.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Aldo 1. Best 2. Chumpitaz 3. Pirri 4. Israel 5. Ademir da Guia
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2. Greaves 3. Bremner 4. Corso 5. E. Hughes
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2. Oblak 3. Maier 4. Fischer 5. McNeill
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2. Keizer 3. Olsen 4. Gemmell 5. Murdoch
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2. Overath 3. Johnstone 4. Hulshoff 5. Kindvall
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2. Mazzola 3. Haan 4. Suurbier 5. Perfumo
Balu 1. G. Müller 2. Vogts 3. Rensenbrink 4. Dobrin 5. Benetti
ctp 1. Rivelino 2. Marzolini 3. Jansen 4. Heynckes 5. Höttges
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão 3. Bene 4. Van Moer 5.
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5.
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5.
sallycinnamin 1. Jairzinho 2. Zoff 3. B Dietz 4. Giles 5.
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst 4. Roth 5.
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov 4. Causio 5.
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball 4. Wimmer 5.
Marty1968 1. Gerson 2. Carlos Alberto 3. Rosato 4. Schwarzenbeck 5.

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It's been 8 hours and I need to go to work now, so going to post our pick if that's okay.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Giacamo Bulgarelli

One of only 10 post-war Italians inducted into the national Hall of Fame and one of Gianni Rivera's top 10 Italian players, Bulgarelli turned down some tempting offers to stay with his beloved Bologna, with whom he inspired to their last league title in 1964.

Fabio Capello said: said:
He was the best midfielder Italy ever had. He could win the ball, he could score goals - he was a leader on and off the park.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's been 8 hours and I need to go to work now, so going to post our pick if that's okay.
It's your decision. I doubt crappy will criticise you for it. If you want to wait, you can send your pick and a back-up to me and tell me how long I should wait.

/edit:
too late :lol:

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5. Bulgarelli
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5.

@crappycraperson @NM @Edgar Allan Pillow

diarm

Is it just me or does every team look really good so far? I'm struggling to pick a weak side from the 16 after the 4/5 picks!

Annahnomoss

Is it just me or does every team look really good so far? I'm struggling to pick a weak side from the 16 after the 4/5 picks!
Hadn't thought about it but yeah so far it looks dead even in terms of quality. The teams who got the first few picks looks slightly more vote friendly so it will be interesting to see just how much of a difference they'll make.

diarm

Hadn't thought about it but yeah so far it looks dead even in terms of quality. The teams who got the first few picks looks slightly more vote friendly so it will be interesting to see just how much of a difference they'll make.
Aldo has the Best team, while Skizzo's is Olsen

Bye
Aldo's and the first few are class but there's quality right the way down. For example I really like that 3 in a row of Gio, NM and Sally among a few others, and they're bang in the middle.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I love the moments on the Caf where me silly old and overly serious German got the joke while someone else didn't. You made my day, @green_smiley , as bad as it was ;).

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
It's the waiting that kills you in these drafts.

Marty1968

It's the waiting that kills you in these drafts.
Too right it is! Trying to second guess what others are going to do and constantly checking back every 10 minutes to see if my next pick has been taken. Wanted to pick a player in the last round and hoped he wouldn't have been picked. He's managed to get through about 25 picks....only 5 more to go! None of you take him or I quit! ;oD

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5. Bulgarelli
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5. Luis Pereira