Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

1 v 1 with the ball at an attackers feet I will say without any doubt that AWB is the best defender in the world. Nobody gets past him. His positioning however can sometimes be absolutely horrible. Too many times he lets a winger go and for me, he was at fault for the first goal. A RB should never be the one keeping players on the left side of the field onside...
Agree with that. Leave him as last man defending when we have a corner and I’m totally confident he’ll solve any counter attack. But when he has to think, to make decisions, he doesn’t know what to do.

Not a great first half but better in second.

Anustart89

When he joined us it was obvious early on that he had three flaws.

1) He's poor in attack due to poor technique and reluctance to help out his winger by making overlapping runs
2) He tends to lose his man at the back post
3) He ignores his defensive line, and often plays players onside despite being able to look across it.

He's been here almost two years now and we're still suffering from all of these mistakes. There's nothing suggesting that he'll suddenly improve these weaknesses, so we need to cut our losses and move on from him.

Holocene

Whoever plays on the right wing is going to find it difficult while AWB is at right back. For some who reads the game so well in terms of making a tackle, he reads the rest of it so poorly. It's such a surprise. He always seems to be half a second behind everyone else in terms of reacting.

Definitely need a rotation option to give him competition.

KjaAnd

Absolutely need a rotation option at right back.

The block on Lookman at the end was brilliant, but he was pretty brutal apart from that.
The reason Lookman got into that position in the first place was AWB not marking him at all. Criminal defending and it happens several times every single match.

Sylar

He drops too deep when the ball is on the other side
Theres no need for it. He's done it before but today he was punished

And then near the end when the ball was on his side he was too far forward but thankfully recovered to block

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Agree with that. Leave him as last man defending when we have a corner and I’m totally confident he’ll solve any counter attack. But when he has to think, to make decisions, he doesn’t know what to do.

Not a great first half but better in second.
He was better in the second half but he still had trouble with Lookman. He blocked him at one point but that was after letting him making a run past him. He ended up making up for it but a smarter player would have tracked the run and snuffed it out before it ever happened...

Obiorahking_

He needs to continue being aggressive going forward. Fulham sat off him and he got some decent balls in despite his dismal lack of acceleration.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We need someone. Anyone.

Should have kept Laird and given him a few minutes.

RedIan

Started to look better going forward with the ball at his feet in the last few games. My problem is he pulls into the centre half to often and leaves the flank open far to often.

-Supreme-

His positional play and awareness are really poor. I also don't like his casualness or lack of urgency in his game at times...

Ace of Spades

I pity any player that has to play as RW for us, how can any partnership be formed when he himself does not know what he is going to do next.

Overall, I think we do need competition for him, someone who offers something different.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
His technique is fine, everything else failed today.

He improved ball retention and small play though. I wouldn't mind giving Williams a go against Sheffield.

A-man

He was better in the second half but he still had trouble with Lookman. He blocked him at one point but that was after letting him making a run past him. He ended up making up for it but a smarter player would have tracked the run and snuffed it out before it ever happened...
he could have done better, but imo Lookman was also playing very well.
Also true that a better player than Lookman would have explored those situations better. I felt the whole defence was a bit off tonight. Shaw was good but the rest...not so good. Not good individually and not as a unit.

MasterCode

Out with the old bring something new and shiny eh?

Not the best game today, I remember a time when opposition used to target our right-hand side till we signed him.

A poor performance from him is still better than what used to happen to our right-hand side before we signed him. Shakey first half better second half today.

But after a brilliant first season and even if he's having a shaky first half to his second season... With all that in context, I'm willing to be patient (I'd hope player development is still a thing at United and we aren't turning into City :confused:) - I'm seeing his attacking efforts more often in recent games (he's remarkably quicker than I thought), and it can only improve long term.

Patience

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s getting much better offensively and becoming a real threat down the right hand side.

Manny

Grammar Police
He brought on so much of that anxiety early in the game.

I think Ole needs to bring in another fullback to wake him up like he did to Shaw

saivet

Whoever plays on the right wing is going to find it difficult while AWB is at right back. For some who reads the game so well in terms of making a tackle, he reads the rest of it so poorly. It's such a surprise. He always seems to be half a second behind everyone else in terms of reacting.

Definitely need a rotation option to give him competition.
I pity any player that has to play as RW for us, how can any partnership be formed when he himself does not know what he is going to do next.

Overall, I think we do need competition for him, someone who offers something different.
While I agree, I also hope it's not something used as an excuse for poor performances from our current or even future RW. His link up play is questionable but to his credit, I think AWB is getting forward more and presenting himself as an option.

Hopefully we get someone in to provide proper competition or at least a rotation option for something different and to give him a rest.

MattofManchester

He's a serious liabity to us at times.
In a team that's beginning to function, weak points will stand out.

His positioning defensively has not improved, and he has to still be encouraged to get forward.
Even then, he takes far too long to make the pass.

I like him, but he's hurting us.

Ace of Spades

While I agree, I also hope it's not something used as an excuse for poor performances from our current or even future RW. His link up play is questionable but to his credit, I think AWB is getting forward more and presenting himself as an option.

Hopefully we get someone in to provide proper competition or at least a rotation option for something different and to give him a rest.
No, he is getting forward a bit more and putting some decent crosses. Had a few that were aimed at the far post, but unfortunately it was Martial who was there each time and did not attack the ball at all and wasted them. But it will always be basic stuff, he won't do anything more than that, and in certain games you need that a bit more.

Devil may care

Had a shakey moment or 2 defensively but he recovered well on both occasions and showed good intent going forward putting crosses in, in the first half.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
he could have done better, but imo Lookman was also playing very well.
Also true that a better player than Lookman would have explored those situations better. I felt the whole defence was a bit off tonight. Shaw was good but the rest...not so good. Not good individually and not as a unit.
I thought they were all fairly average as well. Shaw the best of the bunch other than getting nutmegged 3 times in about 10 minutes in the second half :lol: :lol: :lol:

rooney2009

I seem to have been watching a different game
Thought he was good today
Good ball control and constantly driving forward, Also whipped in some wicked crosses

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've been his biggest critic but thought he did fine. I even remember he went on a nice run after turning one of the Fulham players and helped us advance play nicely. I don't think he'll ever be fantastic going forward but I do believe he can be very good for us in a different way which will also be beneficial for us going forward. He needs to improve on judging the flight of the ball and his positioning which I think he can achieve on the training ground. And IMO going forward he needs to attack the space and cross the ball and just keep it simple and rinse and repeat and with patience and repetition he will become a solid addition all round without being spectacular going forward. But he does have attributes that are very difficult to teach like tackling and defending 1v1 and we just need to hope the coaches improve his other facets which I believe is very possible.

kundalini

Terrible first 5 mins, gifting Fulham the ball leading to a shot from distance that was saved by De Gea and then managing to play Lookman onside for their goal. After that, I thought he was decent, retained possession reasonably well, put in a few crosses, one of which Martial should have done better. Blocked a shot from a tight angle late on.

The Oracle

Keep on hoping that he will become the right-footed version of Luke Shaw

...can't help but think his forward play will sadly not get any better though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's very dopey. Caught out of position multiple times again, seemed a bit clueless in attack (that one-two springs to mind), and played them on for the goal. It really wasn't as fine a performance as people would like to make out.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He isn't the finished product by any means and has some obvious weaknesses but I do like his mentality. If he keeps working on his game and gets better every year for the next 2/3 years we will have an amazing right back.

Status
Not open for further replies.