Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomSlayer

Well if that was Emery's plan then it wasn't a very good one. He was fine in possesion last night, I can't remember him making any bad errors and there wasn't much wrong with his crossing either. He put some good crosses in.
Yeah, I don't get the criticism for his crossing, he's putting invention and technique now when attempting to deliver a ball into the box or across it, whereas before his style was similar to Valencia - drill or smash the ball as hard as possible.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Emery literally had them force us pass to AWB knowing he has the technical ability of a fish. Simply not a good enough full back for the modern game. People who think he should be in the England squad what are you watching? All 4 of the RB's are miles ahead of him. His crossing is unbelievably bad for a club of our level.
Your post needs it’s eyes testing

golden_blunder

Staff
The back post thing is interesting to me. I’m not fully convinced it’s an AWB issue. I think it comes more from how our defence sets up. When one full back goes forward, the other tucks in but that leaves space at the back post of the opposition wide players because neither Greenwood nor Rashford track back much.

There was one point last night where a Villarreal player was dribbling forward in the centre of the pitch with Bailly and Lindelof backing off while they were basically getting a free run into the box. AWB had to go and challenge them cause neither CB wanted to. It left the Villarreal left sided player completely open. It was such an odd moment and I’m not sure what caused our defence to act like that.
Well we’ve seen that before with Lindelof often enough, maybe Bailly was following his lead. All those midfielders and forwards might get back to help if they backtrack enough

Glorio

AWB was brilliant last night, in fact, at some stage I actually wanted him on the ball in the attacking third more than most, and he did try to make a difference. There were a few occasions where he passed the ball in-field where I'd rather he stayed out wide and delivered a cross. His crosses are actually decent, we were just light in the box with Cavani the only real aerial threat.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He's improving but I still do feel we need a serious competitive offensive threat to challenge him. When you watch the way the likes of Trent cross the ball, it makes Wan-Bissaka look Championship level when it comes to attacking, it would be a bit of fresh air to bring someone who can deliver a quality cross when we're chasing a goal. No disrespect to Wan-Bissaka, he's had a good season overall.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
AWB was brilliant last night, in fact, at some stage I actually wanted him on the ball in the attacking third more than most, and he did try to make a difference. There were a few occasions where he passed the ball in-field where I'd rather he stayed out wide and delivered a cross. His crosses are actually decent, we were just light in the box with Cavani the only real aerial threat.
Honestly this is probably the worst take on the game I have seen so far.

AWB was brilliant? What game did you watch. He wasn't our worst player at all. I'm not saying that. However if you think that was a 'brilliant performance' then it shows how far we've fallen.

His passing and crossing is not good enough and never will be. Teams even leave him free most games these days. That's how little they fear him. And even then with all the space in the world he doesn't do anything.

Glorio

Honestly this is probably the worst take on the game I have seen so far.

AWB was brilliant? What game did you watch. He wasn't our worst player at all. I'm not saying that. However if you think that was a 'brilliant performance' then it shows how far we've fallen.

His passing and crossing is not good enough and never will be. Teams even leave him free most games these days. That's how little they fear him. And even then with all the space in the world he doesn't do anything.
And yours is probably the worst take on his performance I've seen so far - whether they fear him or not is beside the point, rate the game yesterday in isolation, that's what we're doing. How was his passing and crossing yesterday? And while we're at it, how many players performed better than him yesterday? In attack or in defence?

He did what he does - he was very good in defence and decent in attack with a number of good deliveries into the box, and played himself out of trouble whenever it was required.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
And yours is probably the worst take on his performance I've seen so far - whether they fear him or not is beside the point, rate the game yesterday in isolation, that's what we're doing. How was his passing and crossing yesterday? And while we're at it, how many players performed better than him yesterday? In attack or in defence?
I thought he was okay mate. That's it. He made 1 or 2 good slide tackles. What was it about his performance that made you think he was so good?

He probably got more space in the attacking third than Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno combined. You see Villarreal were actually marking those players closely if you watch the game back. They let AWB run on time and time again. And what did he do? Not a lot.

He's 5th choice English right back for a reason. It's not by chance or that Southgate has it in for him. He's just not that good of a footballer.

Denis Irwinning

Well if that was Emery's plan then it wasn't a very good one. He was fine in possesion last night, I can't remember him making any bad errors and there wasn't much wrong with his crossing either. He put some good crosses in.
It was a good one. Forcing us to go down our blunt right side rather than Shaw and Pogba who have been so creative really stopped our creativity. He was fine because he didnt make any difficult passes so fair enough he didn't cost us but he was net 0 in possession. His crosses very easily defended too, they're always loopy rather than really dangerous.

joso157

fun fact for you, Wan Bissaka has 6 assists and 2 goals for this season, Luke Shaw, 6 assists and 1 goal. Apparently one of them is terrible going forward though!?!?!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
fun fact for you, Wan Bissaka has 6 assists and 2 goals for this season, Luke Shaw, 6 assists and 1 goal. Apparently one of them is terrible going forward though!?!?!
That's fact but doesn't justify why Bissaka isn't known as being good going forward.

If you actually watch the game and pay attention on it, you will realise that when Shaw delivers the ball, his delivery more on point either it was in dangerous area but none there or it was received by our players but wasted by the received players.

On contrary, Bissaka's delivery is less on point aka less quality, you often see his delivery being way too far from dangerous area such as over-hitting it, end up crossing the ball to outside penalty box, and etc. Reminds me of Aurier 19/20, had lot of assists but if you watch him, he had so many shit crossings.

Have to give credit to manager managed to find a system that allows Bissaka to produce decent amount of end product. Turning player who is not supposed to be good going forward into much better on stats.

The United

People have their bias. I am a huge Shaw fan and critical of AWB.

But, I can't pretend AWB has not improved. He has come a very long way. Shaw is still better and when AWB gets to Shaw's level, we will have an excellent pair of FBs.

Varun

Staff
Are these numbers supposed to mean they're both as good going forward?

golden_blunder

Staff
That's fact but doesn't justify why Bissaka isn't known as being good going forward.

If you actually watch the game and pay attention on it, you will realise that when Shaw delivers the ball, his delivery more on point either it was in dangerous area but none there or it was received by our players but wasted by the received players.

On contrary, Bissaka's delivery is less on point aka less quality, you often see his delivery being way too far from dangerous area such as over-hitting it, end up crossing the ball to outside penalty box, and etc. Reminds me of Aurier 19/20, had lot of assists but if you watch him, he had so many shit crossings.

Have to give credit to manager managed to find a system that allows Bissaka to produce decent amount of end product. Turning player who is not supposed to be good going forward into much better on stats.
but.. Oles coaching is primary school level and he could never coach players to better themselves or find systems that suit them

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
xA (expected assist). It gives you an idea about their quality of creating chances. Shaw and Bissaka only 1 assist difference but Shaw xA is almost 3x better.

Andersons Dietician

I think in recent months he’s really improved from where he was at Attacking wise. Still a long way to go but his Bambi on ice thing seems to work a treat and I hope next season we’ll maybe see a better delivery out of him and better timing on that delivery.

I know he gets a lot more time and space than Shaw n the opposite side but he’s vastly improving in my eyes and soon they shouldn’t be able to afford to give him that much space. His jerky dribbling thing is still a marvel to me.

Ekeke

I think in recent months he’s really improved from where he was at Attacking wise. Still a long way to go but his Bambi on ice thing seems to work a treat and I hope next season we’ll maybe see a better delivery out of him and better timing on that delivery.

I know he gets a lot more time and space than Shaw n the opposite side but he’s vastly improving in my eyes and soon they shouldn’t be able to afford to give him that much space. His jerky dribbling thing is still a marvel to me.
He gets more time and space, but less than half as many passing options. Our players love to fill up the left side while AWB is lucky when he has 1 pass available.

Andersons Dietician

He gets more time and space, but less than half as many passing options. Our players love to fill up the left side while AWB is lucky when he has 1 pass available.
I would say there is a bit of truth in that but generally if I’m playing fullback I would rather have space and you only need one person to put the ball in to a space so I can cross it first time. We just don’t do that and it tends to just be McT, Greenwood and Bissaka with occasional help from Bruno.

Ekeke

I would say there is a bit of truth in that but generally if I’m playing fullback I would rather have space and you only need one person to put the ball in to a space so I can cross it first time. We just don’t do that and it tends to just be McT, Greenwood and Bissaka with occasional help from Bruno.
Okay but Shaw doesnt do that. And he created the most chances from fullback this season in the league. His style is to stop and pass the ball around rather than run the ball into every bit of space he gets. Its generally quite easy to defend against fullbacks who have no passing options and are therefore going to have to cross. You can set up your position in the middle for that easily

Andersons Dietician

Okay but Shaw doesnt do that. And he created the most chances from fullback this season in the league. His style is to stop and pass the ball around rather than run the ball into every bit of space he gets. Its generally quite easy to defend against fullbacks who have no passing options and are therefore going to have to cross. You can set up your position in the middle for that easily
But that’s part of our way of playing, we could if we wanted easily create more space for Shaw to operate in by drawing teams to focus in other areas or by squeezing their own defence with positioning, switches of play and generally smart passing. We just don’t really do it.
Again I’ll refer back to Bissaka if he’s given time and space like he is I would much rather have that to deliver a final ball than what Luke Shaw has on the other side.

Maybe it’s old fashioned now to expect players to be able to put balls in to an area in the box first time as it does seem like it’s a dying art form.

Anyway better timing on his runs and generally better passing and tempo of play from others and should be easy to play him in to space.

SAF is the GOAT

This kid needs Trippier for 2 reasons:
1. He has to get the competition
2. He needs to see from more experienced player what's the manager wants from him as a RB and with Trippier he'll have live example

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me his performances through a season is much better than Shaw’s prior to this current season.

He just needs to understand a bit of his defensive positioning and add some finesse or quality to his crosses which should come with time.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
People have their agenda and seem to stick with it regardless of what their eyes are showing them.
I don’t have an agenda other than supporting united. AWB is clearly poor on the ball and going forward. Great 1 on 1 defender though.

Too limited for a guaranteed starter at united. Not even England’s 4th choice RB, either.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t have an agenda other than supporting united. AWB is clearly poor on the ball and going forward. Great 1 on 1 defender though.

Too limited for a guaranteed starter at united. Not even England’s 4th choice RB, either.
His first touch is absolutely wonderful to watch. He makes some wonderful through ball passes that gets to the striker or Greenwood out wide. He has started to even show skill on the ball with his dribbling and him turning around oppositions. He has started to cross regularly in the game and going forward to provide width through runs.

I can’t believe after the last 3 or 4 months there is people still complaining about Wan Bissaka’s attacking ability and ability on the ball.

If anything- he has started to look more questionable as a defensive RB than an attacking one.

Ekeke

But that’s part of our way of playing, we could if we wanted easily create more space for Shaw to operate in by drawing teams to focus in other areas or by squeezing their own defence with positioning, switches of play and generally smart passing. We just don’t really do it.
Again I’ll refer back to Bissaka if he’s given time and space like he is I would much rather have that to deliver a final ball than what Luke Shaw has on the other side.

Maybe it’s old fashioned now to expect players to be able to put balls in to an area in the box first time as it does seem like it’s a dying art form.

Anyway better timing on his runs and generally better passing and tempo of play from others and should be easy to play him in to space.
The point is Shaw would be less effective if he just ran the ball down the side and got a cross in as soon as possible. Its predictable and easy to play against and he certainly wouldnt be anywhere near the highest chance creator from fullback

Shaw is thriving because we have so many players who want to come to the left and get involved in passing moves and thats when he gets the time and space to put a ball into the box that isnt as easily defended because 2 seconds before it a CM had the ball threatening to play a ball through the middle. If a few more players came to the right to get involved in passing triangles then AWB wouldnt need to put in a perfect cross to beat a defence thats been set up for 10 seconds waiting for him to go down the line and put the ball in the air.

Andersons Dietician

The point is Shaw would be less effective if he just ran the ball down the side and got a cross in as soon as possible. Its predictable and easy to play against and he certainly wouldnt be anywhere near the highest chance creator from fullback

Shaw is thriving because we have so many players who want to come to the left and get involved in passing moves and thats when he gets the time and space to put a ball into the box that isnt as easily defended because 2 seconds before it a CM had the ball threatening to play a ball through the middle. If a few more players came to the right to get involved in passing triangles then AWB wouldnt need to put in a perfect cross to beat a defence thats been set up for 10 seconds waiting for him to go down the line and put the ball in the air.
I’m not saying just run down the side. I think we are picturing two vastly different things here And you’re viewing what I’ve said in a very simplistic manner. I’m envisioning more Dani Alves/ Jodi Alba arriving in to space which was accomplished by passing through the middle drawing teams in creating space.

I’m sure Shaw would appreciate more space and time than having it completely crowded with our players and opposition. If we could move the ball faster and our players take up better positions and make themselves available as options we would be creating space and hopefully playing at a tempo that doesn’t allow teams to set in a defensive shape as we see so often.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
His first touch is absolutely wonderful to watch. He makes some wonderful through ball passes that gets to the striker or Greenwood out wide. He has started to even show skill on the ball with his dribbling and him turning around oppositions. He has started to cross regularly in the game and going forward to provide width through runs.

I can’t believe after the last 3 or 4 months there is people still complaining about Wan Bissaka’s attacking ability and ability on the ball.

If anything- he has started to look more questionable as a defensive RB than an attacking one.
You can’t be serious. He is nowhere near good enough as an attacking outlet. It really is frightening how low our standards have become.

Defensively one on one very good. He gets dragged in centrally way too much though.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

This can't be true. I don't see how after seeing him play for 2 season we think he could play CB

Adnan

Talent Spotter

This can't be true. I don't see how after seeing him play for 2 season we think he could play CB
He'll likely still be playing a similar role with the right channel his sole responsibility if the wingback is given license to attack.

Brophs

The One and Only
He'll likely still be playing a similar role with the right channel his sole responsibility if the wingback is given license to attack.
Aye, I'd guess it'd be as part of an attacking side with three centre backs, the two wider ones being given a bit of licence, rather than him being an out and out centre back as part of a two.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
But that would mean 5 at the back. Which means we can't play 3 attacking players. Would not make sense considering the options we have. Decent RB and if we can get a CB is much better option than to shoehorn him at RCB position.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we want the option to play three CBs more often in certain games, maybe. The thought of his positioning as one of two CBs would be terrifying though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But that would mean 5 at the back. Which means we can't play 3 attacking players. Would not make sense considering the options we have. Decent RB and if we can get a CB is much better option than to shoehorn him at RCB position.
The two wingbacks would also be part of the attack and would have higher starting positions imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.