5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Its night and day because Rashford either starts on the left or drifts there and he's the one teams are weary of, which is why it may appear to some that opposition teams let AWB have the ball. They aren't letting him have the ball, they're just more concerned with stopping build up down the left than right, because the left is where Rashford is.

Its funny how so many people speak for ETH where Wan Bissaka is concerned when it seems quite clear the manager likes him and rates him over Dalot.
This is categorically false. Oppositions don't let AWB have the ball because they're worried about Rashford on the left(ridiculous take), they do so because he's easy to press and he's the trigger point. Cover everyone else, let him get the ball then suddenly press and he'll be lose possession. It's as simple as that.

Shaw on the left can maneuver decently around a press because he passes through angles and doesn't have an awful touch. AWB can't do that because he's seriously uncomfortable on the ball. The time it takes him to control a hot ball/pass to rest is several seconds which is plenty of time for any opposition player to be in his face.

Last edited:

Howl

Its night and day because Rashford either starts on the left or drifts there and he's the one teams are weary of, which is why it may appear to some that opposition teams let AWB have the ball. They aren't letting him have the ball, they're just more concerned with stopping build up down the left than right, because the left is where Rashford is.

Its funny how so many people speak for ETH where Wan Bissaka is concerned when it seems quite clear the manager likes him and rates him over Dalot.
I'm not sure how you can say that. They both were a tale of two halves last season. Dalot was very good until he got injured which allowed Wan Bissaka to come into the fold, and wasn't as good when he came back from injury so Wan Bissaka played more in the second half of the season. Even then though, Dalot started in 24 of his 32 times in the squad whereas Wan Bissaka started 16 times being in the squad 26 times in the league.

Idxomer

He isn't a bad player but I don't trust him and I think he should've been kept on the market.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Timber was the one. Would have fit perfectly with this team. But yes I'll take anyone at this point. My hope is Dalot can find some production in the final third to make himself indispensable in the meantime because AWB isn't it and never has been. He's a nice weapon on occasion to deploy against certain 1v1 wingers but that's it
Ten Hag might just have to bite the bullet and make due with Dalot suspect defending. Say all you want about Dalot, this pre season, no matter which team he was put out there with(which was mainly the kids and reserves) he contributed to us playing good football thanks to his ability in helping during the build up.

AWB is simply an atrocious footballer for me to completely ignore that. It's irritating to see that right channel completely die and contribute nothing in our build up.

Remember the geese

Timber was the one. Would have fit perfectly with this team. But yes I'll take anyone at this point. My hope is Dalot can find some production in the final third to make himself indispensable in the meantime because AWB isn't it and never has been. He's a nice weapon on occasion to deploy against certain 1v1 wingers but that's it
Yeah, Timber would have been ideal. Just a shame that he was never really an option for us this window. I constantly flip flop over who I'd rather keep out of Dalot and Wan Bissaka. All I know is that I don't want either of them starting for us. Dalot tricks you into thinking that he is the more technically accomplished and better attacking threat, yet he often flatters to deceive. Hope it's a position that we address next year.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Ten Hag might just have to bite the bullet and make due with Dalot suspect defending. Say all you want about Dalot, this pre season, no matter which team he was put out there with(which was mainly the kids and reserves) he contributed to us playing good football thanks to his ability in helping during the build up.

AWB is simply an atrocious footballer for me to completely ignore that. It's irritating to see that right channel completely die and contribute nothing in our build up.
Agreed. Unless we are facing an ASM/Vini level dribbler, I'd much rather have Dalot in there. I mean AWB literally missed a sitter and then gifted them a goal 3 minutes later which sums him up as a player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just like dalot far more as a footballer than him. There are times when Wan Bissaka is worth starting over for sure, and it's opponent dependent... But Dalot any time we are dominating possession please.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I just like dalot far more as a footballer than him. There are times when Wan Bissaka is worth starting over for sure, and it's opponent dependent... But Dalot any time we are dominating possession please.
I also just feel like of the two, Dalot has more potential to be moulded into a good player. You can see he has some tools and skills and also is decently comfortable on either foot, so there's a nice base to work with as opposed to AWB.

Eddy_JukeZ

Dalot has had a few mares with square passing at times too(last season specifically).

Really poor mistake by AWB though and I think he's still too limited on the ball for the level we aspire to achieve.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Dalot has a lower bottom level (fecks up simple passes at times) but higher ceiling in terms of overall play (defensively + offensively). AWB is more reliable when we just want to defend but we need to be more offensive this season. They will both be useful and we'll be fine without a new RB.

InfiniteBoredom

This is categorically false. Oppositions don't let AWB have the ball because they're worried about Rashford on the left(ridiculous take), they do so because he's easy to press and he's the trigger point. Cover everyone else, let him get the ball then suddenly press and he'll be lose possession. It's as simple as that.

Shaw on the left can maneuver decently around a press because he passes through angles and doesn't have an awful touch. AWB can't do that because he's seriously uncomfortable on the ball. The time it takes him to control a hot ball/pass to rest is several seconds which is plenty of time for any opposition player to be in his face.
AWB doesn’t lose the ball as much as you makes out to be the case here, at least not under EtH this past season. however, he is atrocious with his final ball so they just let him try his usual awful crossing attempt, or press the guy he passes short to, resulting in us usually circulating the ball back down the field to reset.

Marwood

He's just a very unusual player on the ball.

Very press resistant, very good at getting out of tight spots but has no culture or feel in his feet at all when it comes to passing/crossing. It's a strange mix.

It's why he generates such differing opinions.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

Very press resistant, very good at getting out of tight spots but has no culture or feel in his feet at all when it comes to passing/crossing. It's a strange mix.
See I believe he is capable of a good pass and cross, has become better technically and I am a fan of his, my issue is somewhat different and it leads to his last minute slide tackles etc and it's his poor reading of the game which will only be exposed in a transitional system where you do need that speed of thought as everything is done so much quicker.

He reads the game poorly which leads to him sliding about the place like he's at a waterpark (Even if he is very good at it) and again when he gets the ball I can see him in his facial expression considering his options which leads him into these tricky situations which he does always seem to find an unconventional way out of but he then goes with what was the best option at the time of running into trouble rather than be aware the landscape has changed.

Luckily I think it is something that can be trained into him once we have a consistent XI and play style and why he looked better in the 2nd half of last season, he needs to know where players will be at every phase of the game to remove some of that "processing time".

Marwood

See I believe he is capable of a good pass and cross, has become better technically and I am a fan of his, my issue is somewhat different and it leads to his last minute slide tackles etc and it's his poor reading of the game which will only be exposed in a transitional system where you do need that speed of thought as everything is done so much quicker.

He reads the game poorly which leads to him sliding about the place like he's at a waterpark (Even if he is very good at it) and again when he gets the ball I can see him in his facial expression considering his options which leads him into these tricky situations which he does always seem to find an unconventional way out of but he then goes with what was the best option at the time of running into trouble rather than be aware the landscape has changed.

Luckily I think it is something that can be trained into him once we have a consistent XI and play style and why he looked better in the 2nd half of last season, he needs to know where players will be at every phase of the game to remove some of that "processing time".
I'm not sure it can be trained in.

Sometimes its just physics. The flexible gangly nature of him is perfect for tackling but isn't so great for ball playing.

I'm still a fan of him though.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

Sometimes its just physics. The flexible gangly nature of him is perfect for tackling but isn't so great for ball playing.

Again ball playing is a technical ability I think he does have, it's his ability to read the game which naturally comes as some matures and also is aided by knowing the system inside and out which I can't honestly say I do even as a fan yet as I don't think we have implemented an overall style we stick to for 90 minutes as when ETH came I think our player set was quite mixed in terms of what they suited.

InfiniteBoredom

This doesnt make any sense. Being gangly doesn’t prevent you from striking a ball with the appropriate force, it’s all about application. As SAF said, Becks didn’t become the finest British footballer at striking the ball because he was born with it, he worked his ass off for it.

Sticking him on the list before he’s kicked a ball in the Prem? Really?
United were after him last Summer, Arsenal this Summer. Crystal Palace and West Ham were the ones chasing AWB last December.
Obviously Timber might struggle in the league, but his stock is certainly much higher than AWB currently so I don’t think it’s that unfair at this point. The fact ETH was originally interested in him ahead of Martinez says something.
But take him away and the point still stands, AWB isn’t close to being one of World’s top 5 right backs.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

It's why he generates such differing opinions.
That's it. It feels like he never passess the ball on the run, he is so bizarre-looking it feels like it's super unnatural. Same way other players look very natural on the ball while their ball control isn't that good.
AWB is a weird one. He's very good on the ball doing simple things, but at the same time he isn't creative at all with the ball. You would think he has the speed to easily get away from his marker and get a cross in, yet he seems to struggle with that aspect.

Based Adnan

Technically poor player not suited to the style of football the manager wants to play. Were it not for FFP issues/multiple other positions needing addressing you'd hope he would have been moved on this summer. Hopefully this is his last season here.

Hoof the ball

AWB is more secure when he's playing a more traditional full-back role, but Dalot was far more safe and effective playing as the inverted RB dropping next to McTominay. Far more. Not even close. This is a problem, of course, because AWB cannot play the inverted role EtH obviously wants him to play, nor can he rely on Dalot to do orthodox full-back duties to a high level.

Cela

never ever saw him attempting cross field pass or even long passes. very worrying for someone playing as full back in this era where switching play is pivotal to by-pass press . such a technical limited player. even his dribbling is so weird though he is not bad at it. I personally prefer Dalot over him.

IHateTheEightyEights

You think that's true because you, wrongly, think AWB is uncomfortable on the pitch. AWB has been here for 4 seasons now so there should be plenty examples of him being pressed, losing the ball and then we concede a goal/shot. Please post some.

Wan Bissaka is actually statistically less likely to give the ball away than Shaw, and has also made fewer errors that led to goals (AWB has made 0 errors that have led to goals according to Prem stats) so you're wrong on several accounts.

redcucumber

You think that's true because you, wrongly, think AWB is uncomfortable on the pitch. AWB has been here for 4 seasons now so there should be plenty examples of him being pressed, losing the ball and then we concede a goal/shot. Please post some.

Wan Bissaka is actually statistically less likely to give the ball away than Shaw, and has also made fewer errors that led to goals (AWB has made 0 errors that have led to goals according to Prem stats) so you're wrong on several accounts.
Posts like these are a good example of why I'm increasingly less arsed to talk about football online. Snidey, hostile, and derogatory of anyone's opinion that is different to their own. We all fecking know Wan Bissaka has made an error that has led to a goal at some point - I'm pretty sure all of our defenders did last season alone. Yet they've plucked some silly stat that will undoubtedly vary (depending on which site you choose to use) to try and factually prove that their opinion is the truth and therefore anyone that disagrees might as well not have an opinion because that opinion would be factually wrong. It's boring as feck. According to Fbref, Shaw gives the ball away less than Wan-Bissaka. It's redundant and needlessly divisive.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

You've got to be kidding me. He literally did so in the game against Dortmund we just watched. :lol:

AWB put his RW or whoever plays close to him needlessly under pressure because he's so poor on the ball. He dumps the ball to teammates who are covered because he can't pass his way out of slightly harder angles. Put the heat on him and he'll dump the ball to the closest teammate he sees despite the latter being heavily marked. The man can't even run with the ball properly, when he tries to accelerate the ball sometimes stays behind him and he has to stop himself to regather the ball. He's awfully uncomfortable with the ball.

Posts like these are a good example of why I'm increasingly less arsed to talk about football online. Snidey, hostile, and derogatory of anyone's opinion that is different to their own. We all fecking know Wan Bissaka has made an error that has led to a goal at some point - I'm pretty sure all of our defenders did last season alone. Yet they've plucked some silly stat that will undoubtedly vary (depending on which site you choose to use) to try and factually prove that their opinion is the truth and therefore anyone that disagrees might as well not have an opinion because that opinion would be factually wrong. It's boring as feck. According to Fbref, Shaw gives the ball away less than Wan-Bissaka. It's redundant and needlessly divisive.
Literally this last game against Dortmund. I don't know if the poster was watching the game with his eyes closed to miss that. :lol:

UpWithRivers

Gave the ball away once. Burn him! Burn him! Burn him! Useless. Worst RB ever. I blame the Glaziers. Burn him!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Gave the ball away once. Burn him! Burn him! Burn him! Useless. Worst RB ever. I blame the Glaziers. Burn him!
Resorting to strawman I see. AWB being awful on the ball and poor in build up plays isn't something we've just found out yesterday. It's a well know notion about him.

So stop with these type of posts, they are ridiculous.

UpWithRivers

Resorting to strawman I see. AWB being awful on the ball and poor in build up plays isn't something we've just found out yesterday. It's a well know notion about him.

So stop with these type of posts, they are ridiculous.
You're ridiculous. Go watch how he played against Real Madrid. Literally the last game.

Jaykespeare88

Seems like a different player, so light on his feet, confident with the ball at his feet, no where near as naturally good as dalot, but really impressed with his improvement. We genuinely have the best rb back pairing in the league.

Salwan

Wan-Bissaka is a top drawer right back, it would be very difficult to get a better one as there are only about 5 who could be considered an upgrade and they are already at top clubs.
:lol::lol::lol:

AWB doesn't have the required minimum technical level to play for our club. If and when he leaves the club, I assure you he will be stuck at bottom-half PL clubs at best. No manager who really wants his team to beat the press will play him. It's only a matter of time (and priorities) before EtH bins him.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Dalot put the goalkeeper under pressure unnecessarily for the 2nd goal when he could have just progressed the ball forward or wide rather than backwards when the team was being pressed.

You could see it in his face that he knew it soon as the ball went in.

Marwood

This doesnt make any sense. Being gangly doesn’t prevent you from striking a ball with the appropriate force, it’s all about application. As SAF said, Becks didn’t become the finest British footballer at striking the ball because he was born with it, he worked his ass off for it.
Your physique definitely can affect certain abilities. There are always exceptions but you can see they way he passes the ball, those long loopy limbs with a high centre don't help him.

If you look at most top ball players they're not big guys.

Abraxas

Right back is an issue. I think we'll go through another season where the caf are convinced one of Dalot or AWB is clearly best, then the next month it'll be the other. Rinse and repeat.

The reason for that isn't that one is stand out. That's the problem. It's that they both so middling that it only takes a burst of form. It's not so much about overall quality, just patches of being okay.

The way I see it is one of them needs to prove they belong at this level and really raise their game with a view to strengthening this position in the near future.