Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's been a while since he was in the Ajax academy. He's not developed. Positional sense and decision making is still miles off the required standard. Not saying he cant get better but it seems unlikely that he will suddenly improve enough to be at the level we need.

I've absolutely no idea about Koulibally. I never saw him play before the last couple of seasons. Is there many examples of players suddenly learning to defend after never being able to do it before?
TFM's defending one v one is brilliant at fullback. His performance against Leroy Sane was evidence of that. To say he can't defend is a myth when @Rozay has provided ample evidence for his performances in the EPL and for the Dutch NT. But it's no surprise people have given up on him after his short stint at Fulham.

But having said that. I understand where @Rozay is coming from when he compares him to the very defensive AWB. I'd rather sign a more attack minded RB for sure, like a Cancelo or even the unproven 19 year old Max Aaron who are both very good going forward.

Having two defensive fullbacks would be detrimental to our attack imo. If we can't sign a attack minded fullback, then save the money and play the likes of Ethan Laird and TFM.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
One season wonder suggests he's had his best season. What if he has an even better season next year, he would be worth even more?

The good thing about bidding big on a young player like this is we will probably recoup our money anyway regardless of his success. Let's say we pay 50m, he is okay for us but not great, and we decide to get rid in 3 years. With market inflation as it is we could probably get 50m back for him. I think he'll be a great signing though and I happy we are in for him.
Couldn't you make the same argument for any player we are looking at buying? Sancho for example.

Fullbacks are a key position these days, not a position where you could de-prioritise and save the cash, like in the old days
You get the point about Sancho. It's not about saving cash, but more about the priority.

I think Wan Bissaka would be worth at most 70m in 2-3 years, if he has the same seasons like last one. But Sancho could be worth twice as much if he has another 2 seasons like the last.

Or maybe I'm just expecting a more attacking FB if we spend that kind of money.

I don't know whats worse, You calling Wan Bissaka a one season wonder but advocating Sancho or wanting to play Young/Dalot at RB.....again (both can't defend).
I'm on the camp that attack is the best form of defend.

SteveW

He likely won’t be. I’m not here saying TFM is the answer at RB, I’m saying that I don’t think Wan-Bissaka is, for the same reasons TFM probably isn’t. I’m therefore also saying that if we are so impressed with Wan-Bissaka’s qualities, we should probably consider saving ourselves £50m and giving Tim a go, as I feel he has a similar level of qualities, if not a similar level of fortunes over the last 12 months. That said, people are terribly fickle, (just look at how our fans spoke about Tim in his thread when he was at Palace and how they speak in this very thread)and 2 or 3 good games in our side and we’d be back saying he’s brilliant again. When talking about a pair of 21 year olds, I think the attributes are more important than talking about form, which by nature will be up and down. In terms of attributes, I think when they are both playing well, they are similar. I don’t think Wan-Bissaka will give us something else that the TFM who played for us first season and at Palace would. I don’t think he has anything else to give. Someone like Max Aaron’s does, for example, as watching him you can tell he has other qualities to his game which we need.

Ultimately, I don’t think either are good enough, but for the very same reasons.
Ah ok. I thought from your posts that you were bigging up TFM. I dont see the sense in paying 50 mill for AWB either.

Bestietom

It's been a while since he was in the Ajax academy. He's not developed. Positional sense and decision making is still miles off the required standard. Not saying he cant get better but it seems unlikely that he will suddenly improve enough to be at the level we need.

I've absolutely no idea about Koulibally. I never saw him play before the last couple of seasons. Is there many examples of players suddenly learning to defend after never being able to do it before?
Some people would say Valencia, and Young.

SteveW

TFM's defending one v one is brilliant at fullback. His performance against Leroy Sane was evidence of that. To say he can't defend is a myth when @Rozay has provided ample evidence for his performances in the EPL and for the Dutch NT. But it's no surprise people have given up on him after his short stint at Fulham.

But having said that. I understand where @Rozay is coming from when he compares him to the very defensive AWB. I'd rather sign a more attack minded RB for sure, like a Cancelo or even the unproven 19 year old Max Aaron who are both very good going forward.

Having two defensive fullbacks would be detrimental to our attack imo. If we can't sign a attack minded fullback, then save the money and play the likes of Ethan Laird and TFM.
I disagree. I think he's a poor defender that doesnt position himself well enough.

Laird is someone I'm very curious about actually. Seems to have all the raw attributes to be a terrific fullback.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

A proper RB he is , which we have been lacking for years and years. He seems solid defensively so that will sure up our panicy back line. I think if we can get him for 50 then we should go for him for sure.

On a side note, he absolutely destroyed fantasy football last year so that’s gotta count for something :wenger:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

There’s a difference.

TFM is good when he can use his pace (people going down the outside running like Sané), but make him use concentration and positioning and he struggles. He isn’t a natural defender and gets caught out.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There’s a difference.

TFM is good when he can use his pace (people going down the outside running like Sané), but make him use concentration and positioning and he struggles. He isn’t a natural defender and gets caught out.
Pretty much this. The difference between them is obvious

Cassidy

AWB is actually good going forward he just lacks the final ball. He is able to drive at the opposition FB and also his link up is decent too. He would vastly improve the right flank along with a RW whilst also making us solid on that flank from a defensive point of view

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There’s a difference.

He's still 21 and his flaws can still be coached. I'm not saying he's my choice at RB though. But I just hope we steer clear of someone like AWB for the reasons previously mentioned. 20 years ago I might have understood the clamour for his signing, but in this day and age I think it'd be a foolish move for the reported fee.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
AWB is actually good going forward he just lacks the final ball. He is able to drive at the opposition FB and also his link up is decent too. He would vastly improve the right flank along with a RW whilst also making us solid on that flank from a defensive point of view
I'll be honest i've only seen him play via YouTube. But have read plenty saying he's too defensive. But if we sign him, then I will take solace in your post and hope for the best.

Cassidy

I'll be honest i've only seen him play via YouTube. But have read plenty saying he's too defensive. But if we sign him then I will take solace in your post and hope for the best.
He makes the same amount of crosses per game as Van Arhnorlt on the other side. He just needs to improve his passing and crossing. He is already pretty good at receiving the ball and he gets up and down the right flank regularly.

Not saying he is a great attacker but he isn't as defensive as people like to make out.

He is however a brilliant defender

DownRiver

People say that he will be coached, but which player has improved in our squad in the past year? We do not have a Pep, Klopp or even LVG. Ole couldn't even coach our strikers ffs. I am not hating, just saying the idea of just coaching someone to be better going forward as a full back is stupid. He is playing under Pellegrini who you could say could have coached him, why would Ole make the difference?

Castia

He's a good defender, the assists and attacking stats will come in a team that can afford to let their full backs attack.

He's not got a free reign to run the wings at Palace.

izec

40m would be a fair price. But in this market....

50m take it or leave it. Move to Meunier for 20m and buy a midfielder for 40m

gajender

He's a good defender, the assists and attacking stats will come in a team that can afford to let their full backs attack.

He's not got a free reign to run the wings at Palace.
Like it did for Shaw right who actually happen to be quite a lot better than Wan-Bissaka on the ball again we are targeting a limited footballer and when he won't improve we would lament where we went wrong.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's still 21 and his flaws can still be coached. I'm not saying he's my choice at RB though. But I just hope we steer clear of someone like AWB for the reasons previously mentioned. 20 years ago I might have understood the clamour for his signing, but in this day and age I think it'd be a foolish move for the reported fee.
I like him but he’s far too injury prone, he’s looked completely average at both palace and Fulham and we expect him to get a chance with us?. He will be a squad player at best.

While I agree AWB is expensive, the English tax and youth on his side is worth it. People didn’t think walker was worth it either but we’ve seen how much difference it makes.

If we could add de light and AWB this summer we could be looking good next year defensively.

passing-wind

Looks like we're serious about him, do we think he's ready for the step up?
Don't think it's really a step up aside the mental pressure, he's been one of the best fullbacks in the league for a team that essentially is battling relegation. He should be able to acclimatise to the new environment and kick on.

dove

He makes the same amount of crosses per game as Van Arhnorlt on the other side. He just needs to improve his passing and crossing. He is already pretty good at receiving the ball and he gets up and down the right flank regularly.

Not saying he is a great attacker but he isn't as defensive as people like to make out.

He is however a brilliant defender
So he just needs to improve the basics of football and one of the most important attributes for the fullback. What's the point of signing him then?

TheHeya

He doesn’t really seem that arsed about moving to us re his comments about having a 3 year contract. On to the next

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I see it being a similar situation with Shaw if we get him.... He'll be a good player, but I just think both pack quite a bit from an attacking point of view so theyll never stand out as anything more than decent. I dont think Wan Bissaka can improve enough on the ball and creatively to get to someone like Alexander Arnold's level for example, so in the case of AWB and Shaw being our fullbacks, having creativity and comfortable ball players and quality on the wings is vital, but also all those things at center back and in midfield. A lot of the top teams use their fullbacks as a big part of their attack. Sir Alex did the same for ages. Hopefully he can make the step up if he comes, but my guess is he'll be kind of like Shaw and we'll have strong defensive players in defence, but lack creativity from there.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He doesn’t really seem that arsed about moving to us re his comments about having a 3 year contract. On to the next
I doubt we’d submit an official bid if that were the case. If we can agree a fee, he’ll be here.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Walker went for 50m when he was an established England International and the best RB in the league. AWB is neither, Palace are having a laugh with their valuation

Would rather have Cancelo unless he's signed with City

Tiber

60 milliom quid for Ashley Young to never play again Is an absolute bargain.

I do want to sign AWB, but I have still far from given up on Dalot who imo shows a lot of promise

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I haven't seen Palace as much as I should, but if I'm not mistaken they play with wing-backs right?

Bojan11

What? All players say that. He’s hardly going to say he wants to leave because he probably knows Woodward is a buffoon who might mess it up so he’s smart guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.